Chapter 9

Playing Hard To Get

This story is not mine and I already ask permission to post this! Please see her website @ http://www.wattpad.com/user/IAmTheGoddamnWalrus - author is Janelle or known as IAmTheGoddamnWalrus

-----------------------------------------

Chapter 9

 

 ~Jiyong’s POV~

 

My phone rang in my pocket during the middle of history. Mr. Yang Hyun Suk frowned at me.

 

"Jiyong-" he said cautiously. I checked the name on the screen. It was Kush. I cussed under my breath. Whenever you didn't answer Kush's calls, he just kept calling and calling.

 

"It's kind of important," I said sheepishly. His frowned deepened.

 

"What could be more important than this?" he demanded. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

 

"It's my grandma," I lied. "I think something's wrong."

 

His expression lightened and he dismissed me into the hall. I finally answered my phone.

 

"Hello?" I said quickly.

 

"Jiyong! Hey, I got some news for you!" Kush said excitedly. I braced myself.

 

"What?" I asked, scared.

 

"I got you a job to do a duet with Justin Bieber!" he said excitedly again. I groaned.

 

"Justin Bieber? Really?" I said doubtfully.

 

"Yeah! Just think of the popularity!" he said.

 

"I can't sing that kind of music," I protested. He just snorted.

 

"Yeah, dude, I think you can," he scoffed. "I've heard you. You're amazing."

 

I paced back and forth. I could tell I didn't exactly have a choice with this.

 

"When?" I sighed ,giving up.

 

"You'll fly out to Atlanta in two weeks," Kush explained. "Justin will pick you up from there."

 

I hung up and ran my fingers through my hair. I took a deep breath before heading back into the classroom.

 

"How's your grandmother, Jiyong?" the teacher asked. At first I didn't know what he was talking about, then I realized.

 

"Oh, she's okay. It was just a misunderstanding," I mumbled, taking a seat. The teacher nodded before heading back to his lesson.

 

I couldn't concentrate the rest of the day. I packed my stuff quickly, just wanting to get home. I nearly fell when Dara shoved me, something that never happened.

"Woah, what's wrong with you?" Dara asked with a mischievous grin. We exited the school and walked on the side walk.

 

"I have to record a duet with Justin Bieber," I muttered.

 

"Minzy will like that," she laughed. I rolled my eyes. I kept on walking.

 

We walked in silence. I knew that Justin wasn't a bad guy. He was actually really nice and down to earth. But I just didn't want to go anywhere. Not with the way things were with my family right now.

 

"You come in?" Dara asked once we reached her house. I shrugged, and headed inside. There were two people inside looking around, with four more sitting at a table talking with Eun Joo. I raised an eyebrow at Dara.

 

"My mom wants me to have some sort of big birthday party for my eighteenth birthday, since I didn't have one for my sixteenth," Dara explained. I could tell she didn't want it-she just wasn't that kind of girl.

 

I nodded, looking at all the people. I hoped they didn't know it was me. I set my bag down and followed Dara up to her room. I sat in her swivel chair and spun around. I'd gotten used to her odd room, and the vampire teeth were sort of comforting now. I mean, if there were intruders they could bite them, right?

 

Dara opened the window, and I shivered in the November breeze. It was a almost end of the year for creating new beginnings… and new relationships. I could feel it.

 

"So this means you're older than me," I observed. Dara nodded proudly.

 

"Yup," she said happily.

 

"You're a cougar then," I teased. She turned bright red and walked over to slap the back of my head.

 

"Ouch," I laughed. She glared and crossed her arms over her chest. She looked out the window.

 

"Hey, Dara?" I said quietly. She looked over at me, questioning. I spoke again.

 

"Would you go out on a date with me?"

 

She went pale, then red, then green, then red again. She swallowed.

 

"Jiyong," she croaked. "I told you I don't like you like that."

 

I nodded. "I know that. It's just, I mean, one date. Is that so much to ask?"

 

She nodded. "Yes."

 

We sat in silence again, listening to the tick of her clock. I could hear the wind blowing outside, cold and bitter.

 

 ~Dara’s POV~

 

It was hard for me to decide whether I should go on a date with him or not. I mean, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction just yet. But on the other hand, I guess a date would be nice. Still, I declined.

 

I could tell he wasn't giving up, though. His eyes twinkled with that unknown emotion that looked like determination and stubbornness at the same time. I don't know if he was upset about me saying no. He didn't seem too upset. I mean, he went back to slinging his arm around me in ways I didn't like.

 

"Cut it out," I complained, shoving his arm away. He snickered and did it again.

 

"I know you like it," he teased in a mock Russian voice or something. I flicked him.

 

"I said cut it out!" I nearly shouted. My mom looked up from the pamphlet she was reading.

 

"Honey, inside voice," she murmured politely.

 

I looked back at Jiyong. "Cut it out!" I whisper shouted. I heard my mom chuckle, and Jiyong finally dropped his arm. Then, he took my hand in his.

 

Jiyong's hand was huge compared to mine. He hand really long fingers on a really big palm. I could feel all the little crevices and indents on his palm. His hand was warm and comforting. But it also crossed the boundary line.

 

I snatched my hand away and Jiyong laughed.

 

"You're seriously going to get yourself killed one day," I muttered. He chuckled.

 

"I don't believe that."

 

I grunted and didn't respond. I hated Saturdays. There was never anything to do. I wanted to go out and do stuff, but Jiyong was always with me and he protested on the idea of going out in public. One time I tried to secretly drop Jiyong off at his house by blindfolding him and putting him in my car. Let's just say, he's really smart.

 

"So, what are we going to do today?" Jiyong asked me. I looked at him and smiled.

 

"I'm auditioning for a school play," I replied. He smiled back.

 

"Nice! Which part?" he asked.

 

I looked at my script. "Uh, this girl named Agatha. She's the lead."

 

He nodded. "What time's the audition?"

 

I checked the clock. "Half an hour. And I've got to get ready, so bye!"

 

I shoved him out the door and waved once. I smiled, as I'd finally gotten him to leave. I trotted up the stairs and proceeded to put my makeup on. Once I was satisfied, I did my hair. I finished that in seconds to spare. I grabbed my script and ran down the stairs. I quickly put my jacket on before scurrying through the door. I hopped in my car and quickly drove to the school.

 

I was surprised at how many people didn't come. I thought a lot of people would come, but only enough people for every character were there. I picked out Sulli and Amber from the audition and sat with them.

 

"Hey, Dara," they in unison.

 

"Hey guys," I responded. "Which parts are you auditioning for?"

 

They smiled and looked at each other.

 

"We're auditioning for the killer sisters of Agatha. They're partly the lead, but Agatha is the real thing," they smiled at me. "How about you?"

 

"I'm auditioning for Agatha."

 

All of a sudden, Sulli squealed and hugged me, which was totally not a Amber thing to do.

 

"Oh my gosh, we're all going to be in the play! Yay! We're going to be the leads together!" she squealed again. The drama teachers, Mr. Kim and Mrs. Lee, came over and told her to be quiet. I giggled as Sulli nodded sheepishly.

 

"Alright kids," Mr. Kim said. "I will be auditioning the boys, so if you could all sit at one side of the theatre, while the girls go sit on Mrs. Lee’s side."

 

We shuffled across the theatre to our correct sides. I took a seat and gripped the arm rests. I was nervous, but not too nervous. I gazed down at the script in my lap, turned to my auditioning page.

 

"Alright, we'll start with girls first," Mrs. Lee said. "And we'll have Sandara Park, auditioning for Agatha come up."

 

I rose from my seat, gripping my script, and walked up the stairs to the stage.

 

I stood on the tape 'x' and looked out to the audience. I cleared my throat before starting.

 

"Alas, I have found true love!" I said as Agatha. "Alas indeed I have found my soul mate, my partner in crime! But now, as I take the dagger cursed by my own sisters towards my neck, I will have lost everything. I cannot control it this dagger, created in the blood bath of my own parents. I must not fight it. I must embrace it. So now, I shout to Peter my love, and tell him I love much more than he'll ever know. And as I press this dagger on my neck, I'll rest. Yes, I'll rest."

 

I closed my eyes and swallowed before turning back to my normal self. Cheering and clapping from the audience arose, and I felt myself blush. I could see Amber and Sulli fist pumping, and I stifled a laugh.

 

"That was excellent, Dara," Mrs. Lee said, with tears in her eyes.

 

"You will most definitely be getting that part."

 

I felt like a heavy weight had been taken off my shoulders. I sighed with relief and thanked her before heading back to my seat.

 

"That was amazing," Sulli whispered. "You're a natural!"

 

"Yeah," Amber said, beaming. "Now you and Jiyong could be the perfect couple!"

 

They began to laugh quietly, but I felt my face become hot. I wanted to slap Amber across the back of the head, but they had to go.

 

They were really good. They were like, amazing actually. I watched in awe as they took turns speaking, and caught myself being engrossed in their acting.

 

Once it ended, I was sort of disappointed. I clapped anyways.

 

"Wow, you're amazing!" I gushed. "No, more than amazing!"

 

They chuckled and sat down. Soon, all the girls were finished and it was now the boys' turns.

 

"Alright. Auditioning for the lead role of Peter is... Kwon Jiyong!" Mr. Kim said.

 

My heart stopped. Jiyong was auditioning for Peter? That was Agatha's opposite lead. They were supposed to fall in love. They had to kiss in like, every single scene.

 

"Mr. Kim!" I protested. "Shouldn't Jiyong not get a part, since he's a professional?"

 

Mr. Kim chuckled. "Sweetie, it doesn't matter. He's not on his acting part, so we treat him just like every other student."

 

I knew that was just an excuse. He was probably going to make the opening production posters saying something like, "Jiyong Kwon playing Peter!"

 

I slumpped in my seat and watched as Jiyong recited his part.

 

"My darling Agatha, killed and broken! This cursed blade shall forever rest with me. I will press it to my neck as well. We will be together again soon, my precious flower."

 

I saw Jiyong look right at me and a smile played at the corner of his lips. "I will love you forever, and destroy everything in my path to make us together."

 

He was Jiyong once again, and we all clapped. The teacher assured him that he would definitely be getting that role, and I scoffed. Of course he would be. He was KWON JIYONG.

 

We soon finished all the auditions. Mr Kim and Mrs. Lee said they would have the cast list up tomorrow, so we could come by the school to check it out.

 

"Thank you boys and girls!" Mrs. Lee called cheerfully.

 

I caught Jiyong's eye as we stalked out, and I glared. He beamed, then disappeared in the crowd.

 

~Jiyong’s POV~

I drove Dara to the school, tapping my fingers against the steering wheel to the rhythm of the radio. Dara did the same with her foot.

 

"I can't believe you," she whispered.

 

"What?" I replied, frowning.

 

"You auditioned for Peter on purpose, didn't you," she said louder this time. I smiled mischievously.

 

"Yup."

 

She grunted and said something I couldn't understand. We reached the school and walked in together. Dara's friends Amber and Sulli were already there, looking at the sheet. They saw us come in and smiled.

 

"Hey guys! Look at the list!" They pulled us over and propped us in front of the list. And behold, Dara and I got the leading parts.

 

"Yay," Dara said unenthusiastically. I smirked.

 

"Come on. Even if you don't like me, you're happy you got the part," I said. She eased up.

 

"Fine," she sighed. "I am happy I got the part I wanted."

 

She smiled at me and started to walk out. I followed her, and got in the car.

 

"Where to now?" I asked. We idled in the parking space.

 

"Don't know. Where do you want to go?" she asked. I smiled, and put the car in drive.

 

"Let me show you."

 

We arrived at the mall, and she looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

 

"It's just the mall," she said flatly.

 

"Yeah, but it's got all sorts of stores," I offered. She snorted.

 

"So, are you gay now?" she teased. I smirked.

 

"Come on, you'll have fun."

 

Secretly, I was making this a date. She would just think it was a nice little day at the mall with her friend, Jiyong. But in my mind, it would be out first date. I smiled to myself.

 

"You alright?" she asked cautiously. I smiled and nodded.

 

"Yeah. You hungry?"

 

I led her to the food court. We got ourselves Subway sandwiches and sat down to eat our lunch. We ate in silence, me smiling ever so slightly.

 

"Why are you so smiley?" she asked, annoyance in her voice. I shrugged.

 

"Is there a law on how smiley you can be?"

 

"Yes."

 

I laughed and sipped my drink. Once we were done, we started walking around the mall.

 

"Oh my gosh! Mrs. Tiggywinkles! Let's go!" Dara shouted, pulling me along.

 

She apperently had no shame, because she ran across the mall like a little kid. People stared at us like we were freaks. We walked around the store, looking at all the cool things that looked like kids in the 50's used.

 

"Oh my goodness! This is so cool!" Dara screeched. She reached and grabbed a stuffed banana thing.

 

"It's a banana," I mused, picking another one up.

 

"Yeah, it's an amazing banana!" she said, smiling. I raised my hands up defensively.

 

"Alright, it's an amazing banana," I chuckled. She smiled, and then put it back.

 

"Too bad I don't have any money on me."

 

I got an excellent idea. She began to head to the back of the store, but I stayed behind. I picked up the awesome banana and brought it to the cashier. I had my sunglasses on, so I just looked like a normal person. Thank heavens.

 

"Your total comes to ten dollars and fifty cents," the lady said unenthusiastically. I handed her the money and she handed me the banana. I put it in on the inside of my coat, and stalked to the back of the store.

 

"I eat you," Dara said, making some dinosaur toy bite me. I chuckled.

 

"You're such a little kid," I said, picking up a toy.

 

"I know."

 

We walked around the mall some more, talking and laughing. I felt myself feeling the urge to kiss her, and that urge was just so strong. I restrained myself, though. After all, we would be doing plenty of kissing for the play.

 

We got smoothies and sat down on a bench.

 

"Guess what I got," I smiled. I pulled out the banana and handed it to her.

 

"Oh my gosh, Jiyong! You're the best!" she shouted, giving me a hug. She squeezed me tight, so I took this as a golden opportunity. I hugged her back, not wanting to let go.

 

"Thanks so much," she whispered, smiling at the banana. "I'm going to call him Monsieur Bananne."

 

I snorted. "Why the Frenchie name?"

 

She shrugged. "I like French."

 

We stalked back to the car. Suddenly, as we were walking, Dara linked her arm though mine. I looked at her.

 

"This was a nice first date," she said sweetly. I beamed. Even she thought it was a date? Awesome!

 

I drove her home. She got out and said bye. I kind of idled in the road for a bit. I'd just went on a date with Dara Park, the most amazing girl in the world.

 

 

 

 

----------------

Love it? or Hate it?

Komawo Everyone!