Chapter Five

The Brotherhood

 

‘You should seriously go to see a doctor,’ I urged Jaejoong as he yawned on the way to school.

 

‘No way, I don’t want Ma and Pa to worry, besides, staying up to coach you is totally worth the sacrifice of sleep,’ Jaejoong gave me a tired smile before leaning against the side of the bus to catch a quick nap.

 

I heart ached, ‘Worth the sacrifice of sleep…’

 

Was I really worth risking for your health for, Jaejoong?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I realised that I began looking forward to 11pm, because that’s when Jaejoong would enter my bedroom with a whole armful of books in tow, ready to help me out with homework and last minute revisions.

 

Only Jaejoong could make me pay attention because I loved observing him - making weird faces when he was figuring another way to explain a certain formula to me, or pouting his lips and drumming his long slender fingers while marking my work.

 

‘Correct this, Yoochunnie, I’m sure you can do it,’ I enjoyed the encouragement; my teachers would never do that because they all gave up on me a long time ago.

 

‘Like this?’ I pushed the notebook towards Jaejoong.

 

He looked at it and nodded, ‘Great job. You must know, that’s an advanced question.’

 

‘What?’

 

‘You’ll learn that next year, I just wanted to stretch your ability,’ Jaejoong grinned.

 

‘, YOU SURE? I’M CAPABLE OF DOING ADVANCED STUFF?’ I got off my chair and punched my fist in the air.

 

Jaejoong simply nodded and began tidying the table.

 

‘I’ll do it,’ I tried pushing Jaejoong out of the room but he didn’t budge.

 

‘Go get ready for bed, Yoochunnie,’ Jaejoong messed up my hair playfully and I frowned.

 

I left Jaejoong to pack up the table as I headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

 

Something in me ticked.

 

‘Jaejoong!’ I called out from the toilet.

 

‘Yes, Yoochunnie?’

 

‘I love you,’ I blushed.

 

‘Why did you say that all of a sudden?’ Jaejoong appeared outside my toilet, with a surprised look on his face.

 

‘For everything you’ve done for me. I know I was acting like a moron the past few years, pushing you away and stuff…’

 

‘It’s okay, Yoochunnie. I was never once angry with you. And I love you too. Good night,’ Jaejoong tiptoed and kissed my forehead, like he always used to when we were kids before heading back to his room.

 

He was never once angry with me… But I blamed and hated him for the way my parents treated me…

 

I am such a rotten shriveled up .

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I somehow managed to sleep with the words ‘I love you’ from Yoochunnie replaying constantly in my head.

 

I was glad to have my old Yoochunnie back.

 

I was surprised that Yoochunnie was the one who woke me up for school in the morning. I had completely forgotten to set the alarm before falling asleep, since I didn’t anticipate being able to do so. How sad, right?

 

‘Jaejoong? Are you sick? Why aren’t you up yet?’ Yoochunnie pressed his palm onto my forehead to see whether I had a fever or not.

 

‘I’m fine, Yoochunnie. I didn’t set the alarm. Silly me…’ I dragged myself out of bed.

 

‘Are you sure?’

 

I nodded, ‘Could you be such a dear and iron my uniform for me? I was supposed to do that but I fell asleep.’

 

‘Sure, of course,’ Yoochunnie ran out of the room.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The uniform was pressed really badly but I didn’t care. Yoochunnie had never ironed clothes before because I had always done it for the both of us.

 

‘I’m really sorry, Jaejoong. You look like crap in that lousily ironed uniform,’ Yoochunnie apologised on our bus ride to school.

 

‘It’s fine, it’s the thought that counts,’ I smiled.

 

‘Please exchange uniforms with me,’ Yoochunnie surprised me.

 

‘Wha-why?’ I asked.

 

‘You’re a student councilor and I’m a nobody. You can’t appear wearing such a messed up uniform!’ Yoochunnie began ing my uniform.

 

‘He-hey!’ I cried, ‘We’re in a bus for heaven’s sakes!’

 

‘Oops, sorry,’ Yoochunnie muttered.

 

‘Thanks, Yoochunnie.’

 

‘What for?’

 

‘For caring,’ I pulled him in for a side hug and kissed him on the forehead.

 

‘We’re in a bus,’ it was Yoochunnie’s turn to remind me.

 

I was sure we were on the bus’ black list by now.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘Jaejoong, are you sure this is a good idea?’ Yoochunnie asked me.

 

‘No, it’s the worst idea ever, but I’m still going ahead with it,’ I said matter-of-factly.

 

‘You’re supposed to be the smart one among the both of us,’ Yoochunnie rolled his eyes.

 

‘Let me be stupid once in a while, okay?’ I tried to lighten the mood.

 

It was my 18th birthday and Yoochunnie and I skipped school to celebrate it at home.

 

We both managed to feign illness in the morning when our parents burst into our rooms, demanding why we weren’t prepared for school yet.

 

Here we were, with a giant cake, bottles of Bacardi in tow, sitting on the living room floor forcing the liquids down our throats.

 

‘Cheers tooooooo ouuuuuuuuur paaaaaaathetic livessssssss,’ Yoochunnie slurred, taking a deep swig out of the bottle.

 

‘Hmmmmmm,’ I felt tipsy myself.

 

I don’t know how long a hangover lasts but I’m sure we would be fine by next morning, only if my estimations were right.

 

We were both drinking for the first time in our lives, at 10am in the morning.

 

I remembered stuffing my face into the cake and Yoochunnie running off to puke.

 

When I extracted my face out of the cake, my world started to spin and I fell into darkness.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

‘!’ I woke up with a start, my head a little woozy.

 

I looked at the living room clock, it was 4.08pm in the afternoon and our parents were going to be home anytime soon.

 

My surroundings were a little blurry but I somehow managed to stand up. After a few steps, a wave of nausea hit me and I covered my mouth to stop myself from vomiting on the expensive carpets in the living room.

 

Where the hell was Jaejoong? He was drinking with me just now… right?

 

Right, he was the birthday boy.

 

Now, where’s the star of the day?

 

I tripped on the stairs and fell painfully on my . The pain sobered me up a little and my vision cleared slightly. I continued up the stairs.

 

The door of Jaejoong’s room was left ajar and I pushed it open.

 

I vomited at the sight.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

my life inside out, upside down!

 

How was I supposed to hide a Goddamn Ferrari that was parked out in the front porch?

 

I had less than an hour to clear up the place, hide an expensive sports car and wake two de-ised morons in Jaejoong’s room.

 

Yes, somehow, Jaejoong had managed to call Yunho over and they must have both gotten so drunk that they had . Or maybe Jaejoong seduced him and Yunho took advantage of the fact that my brother was drunk. No wait, they’re lovers so they probably made love, but that doesn’t erase the fact that I’m permanently scarred for life!

 

I had to ing drag them into the bathtub to wash them clean and throw clothes on them. The hell do I know why they didn’t wake up even after throwing them into ice cold water… I then hid them in Jaejoong’s closet to allow them to sleep and perhaps sober up. I then proceeded downstairs to clear up the Bacardi bottles and cleaned up my vomit at the entrance of Jaejoong’s room.

 

I had to run a few houses down the street to dispose of the evidence of us consuming alcohol but when I returned home, I found my parents inspecting the Ferrari parked outside the house.

 

KKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!