Chapter Twelve

The Brotherhood

 

Sims says: This is a special chapter and will solely focus on Jaejoong. Don’t worry people, Yoochun will also have his own special chapter, which will be in the next update. Happy reading!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

One of Jaejoong’s students was having celebrating his 18th birthday party at a seaside retreat and had invited their beloved teacher to join in.

 

Not wanting to be a spoiler of the celebration because he wasn’t a person who enjoyed such social events, he politely declined, only to be faced with arguments as to why he MUST attend, preventing him from heading towards his next class.

 

Sighing, he gave in just so he could leave the classroom.

 

So here he was, dressed in black from top-to-toe – according to the stipulated attire on the invitation card and holding a rather diluted cup of fruit punch, watching from afar as his students play a rather heated game of catch under the sun on the sandy beach.

 

He felt it was ridiculous to be wearing black while you basked under the sun. It was pure torture as black absorbed heat, making you perspire more than usual.

 

Jaejoong was safe from the terrifying (in his opinion) rays of the sun. He was a person who cared a lot about maintaining the fairness of his skin and flawless complexion. He had slapped on copious amounts of (120spf) sun block and had his designer shades on. He was initially wearing a huge sunhat for extra-added protection but he saw the birthday boy’s mother developing a bit of sunburn on her face so he kindly lent it to her voluntarily.

 

‘Jaejoong, why don’t you join them?’ the mother suggested while she prepared the barbeque pit for lunch.

 

‘I’m not a fan of the harsh beating from the sun,’ Jaejoong laughed bitterly.

 

‘Ahh,’ the parent nodded, ‘ Why don’t you help me out with preparing lunch instead?’

 

‘Sure,’ Jaejoong shrugged, it was better than watching his students like a ephebophile.

 

He washed his hands, folded the sleeves of his black denim shirt and helped the parent out with skewering the pieces of meat into bamboo skewer sticks.

 

‘It’s pretty expensive to hold such a party by the beach right? Having to rent a few chalets and all,’ Jaejoong tried to make small talk.

 

‘Yes it is, but my husband’s always overseas so to make up for lost time, he’ll do whatever our son wants.’

 

Jaejoong just nodded.

 

‘Also, I think it’s a good stress reliever because the kids will be graduating from high school this year and the preparations for the examinations are stressing them out.’

 

‘You’re right,’ Jaejoong agreed.

 

The students came filing towards the barbeque pits an hour later and they sat around the area enjoying the food.

 

Jaejoong managed to enjoy the later half of the ‘party’ as it was just regular chatting as a class, which reminded him of homeroom.

 

After the cutting of the largest birthday cake Jaejoong had ever seen, he decided that it was time to head home.

 

He bid everyone goodbye before leaving and playfully reminded the class of their homework which was to be handed in on Monday. It earned groans from the youngsters and Jaejoong chuckled before proceeding out of the chalet.

 

He was walking towards his car when he heard the peaceful crashing of the waves upon the shore.

 

Deciding to put off his departure for a while longer, he took off his Converse sneakers and walked barefooted in the shallow part of the shore, enjoying the cooling sensation as the water made contact with his feet.

 

He saw a dark figure standing on the edge of a cliff facing the deep part of the beach a hundred meters of so from his current location.

 

He squinted his eyes.

 

Yes, it was a person there.

 

Then that figure jumped off.

 

The person was dressed totally in black, which meant it was most likely one of his students from the party.

 

Jaejoong dropped the shoes he was holding in his left hand and ran towards the cliff.

 

‘No, it can’t be! It can’t be a suicide attempt!’ Jaejoong kept replaying the words in his head.

 

He kept praying that it was just a figment of his imagination. He prayed that he would find no one in the waters when he reached the cliff and looked down. But then again, that would mean that person had already drowned. But a body would float up right?

 

Jaejoong shook his head to clear his thoughts.

 

Alas, he reached the edge and looked down.

 

There was someone down there.

 

Jaejoong prayed once more that he can still swim after so many years of not doing so and flung himself off the cliff while he shut his eyes tightly.

 

Jaejoong landed into the sea and swam towards the struggling person.

 

It was his student alright.

 

‘Let me g-go!’ the student fought with Jaejoong in the waters.

 

A strong wave came crashing towards them and sent them both underwater.

 

Jaejoong kept a firm grip on the student’s arm during this and pulled them both above the water.

 

‘Are you crazy!? Why did you jump!?’ Jaejoong shouted while he struggled to swim towards the shore.

 

He heard the student begin to cry.

 

Jaejoong somehow managed to reach the shore, with him panting like no tomorrow and the student now reduced to a hysterical mess.

 

‘Don’t do that again!’ Jaejoong shouted after he recovered his breath.

 

‘Why did you save me for? I’m doing so badly in school, my father lost his job and now I have to work part time as well, leaving me hardly enough time to study…’ she wailed.

 

‘You can always apply for the school’s financial scheme.’

 

‘That would be shameful…’

 

‘What shameful? You can still think of saving face now!? Listen to me, apply for it, quit your job and study hard. Get good results, get into a good university and then get a good paying job.’

 

‘Easier said than done…’

 

‘Sober up, you foolish girl. I’ll send you home.’

 

In bed that night, Jaejoong decided that having gone to the birthday party wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was tough when you were a new teacher and had been promoted way too early in your career.

 

Jaejoong hated the way the senior teachers glanced at him, purposely brushing shoulders against him and needing to apologise to them because of seniority - not that is was his fault to begin with.

 

He hated the way the female teachers stared at him as well, because they looked like they were about to devour him. He would always reject eating lunch with them. He especially hated staff meetings, where the women would fight to sit next to him. He would give forced smiles at them and pretend to be interested as they made small talk with him before and after the meetings ended.

 

He would always find his stationeries gone. At first, he just brushed it off as his own fault - perhaps he had left them in the classes he taught. He would then double check the table before he left his classes. But then, his stationeries were still constantly going missing.

 

He then noticed another teacher using a pen similar to his. Again, he brushed it off as coincidence. He then began secretly labeling his stuff. He later realised that his female colleagues were the thieves.

 

‘Obsessed morons,’ Jaejoong rolled his eyes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Jaejoong wakes up at 6am every morning to prepare for work and comes back home at between 6.30 to 7pm.

 

Yet, he was the one who did most of the housework. He was in charge of preparing the meals at home too.

 

Yoochunnie had tried moping the floor once though. He had used bleach instead of the floor cleaner solution and because of that, Jaejoong banned him from doing any cleaning in the house.

 

Jaejoong had the mentality of a housewife despite his job as a high school teacher.

 

He would read up on the latest household cleaning materials, check out new products on the market and watch out for special offers or produce available in supermarkets in the newspapers.

 

Jaejoong found joy hanging out in supermarkets. He was a regular so he knew almost all of the employees at the usual one he goes to. The retail staff would sometimes throw in some freebies for their favorite customer. He was especially popular with the older employees because they saw him as their beloved ‘nephew’ or ‘grandchild’.

 

He was appreciated and respected in the supermarket, unlike in his school’s staffroom.

 

Jaejoong wasn’t a freeloader but whenever he goes for his usual trip to the mart, he would go in with an empty stomach because the promoters loved dragging him to their stands and feed him with samples. The word ‘sample’ would be an understatement because the amount they gave him was way to generous to be called that.

 

Of course, a shopping trip would never be complete without the ‘housewife talk’, not that Jaejoong was one, but he sure acted like one.

 

He had a gang of REAL housewives whom he talked to while he was there if he happened to run into them while he was grocery shopping.

 

They would share stories about their families and exchange recipes. They would also throw recommended products into each other’s baskets or trolleys.

 

Jaejoong vowed that if there comes a day when he can’t handle his teaching colleagues any longer, he would happily work in a supermarket.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~