Dance Evaluation

Kalopsia

That night, Junsu Oppa came home with blood on his head. It’s not the first time, but it’s the first time he didn’t scream like a crazy person. Dad looked for our aid kit only to find out that my brother brought it to his restaurant. So he just abruptly washed Junsu oppa's blood with cold water, and still, Junsu Oppa didn’t scream any bit.

I look at him in disbelief. He used to be so loud even if he gets a paper cut. It stings he said, and when he had a motorcycle accident 2 years ago he screams like crazy. But this one, he keeps calm. I think maybe because he’s drunk so he kind of forget the pain.

          “What happened?” Asked my dad after Junsu Oppa's blood finally disappear from his head. I place a wet towel on his head, patiently waiting for him to speak.

            “I fell off the stairs.”

I sighed. I thought he had a fight or something.

            “Stupid.” Dad said and start to clean the table with tissue.

            “You’re drunk” I say as I keep smelling alcohol from his clothes.

            “I am, I’m an adult”

            “Just be responsible.” Said Dad and back to his room.

            “Ya, what happened?” I ask him. He just close his eyes and lying on the couch.

            “It’s not a kid business.”

I just look at him, and get back to my room as well.

***

In the morning, I found my brother’s still sleeping on the couch. Dad’s already left for work. I walk to the kitchen and grab a bag of chips. I sit beside my brother and open my phone. 1 missed call and 1 message, both from the same number that I don’t save on my phone.

                        Unknown number : Is your brother home?

                        Moon Hani : Who’s this?

                        Choi San : San

                        Moon Hani : Oh, yeah he’s here

                        Choi San : He didn’t answer my message

                        Moon Hani : He actually just got into an accident

                        Choi San : What happened?

                        Moon Hani : Drunk, and he fell off the stairs.

                        Choi San : Ouch, must be hurt

                        Moon Hani : yeah his head’s bloated. You want me to say anything to him?

                        Choi San : I actually want to cancel today’s lesson because I have something to do

                        Moon Hani : seems he would gladly accept that

                        Choi San : Yeah, get well soon to your brother

                        Moon Hani : Thankyou :)

I put my phone down and turn on the TV. Choi San just texted me. Again it feels funny, I never thought that someday he would save my number on his phone. I wonder what my contact name is.

Not long after Choi San’s text. I got a message from Yeosang.

                        Kang Yeosang : Hey Hani

                        Moon Hani : What’s up?

                        Kang Yeosang: Nothing. You okay?

                        Moon Hani : Well, I am. What happened Yeosang?

                        Kang Yeosang: Nothing haha I just want to make sure you’re okay

                        Moon Hani : Haha well I am, thankyou. How is your dance practice?

                        Kang Yeosang: It’s great. We actually going to perform it next week for our monthly evaluation

                        Moon Hani : Really? You must be nervous!

                        Kang Yeosang: So much! But we practiced like crazy so I hope it’ll turn out well :p Do you want to come and see?

                        Moon Hani : I could come?

                        Kang Yeosang: Of course. So.. you coming?

                        Moon Hani : What day?

                        KangYeosang: At Wednesday

                        Moon Hani  Sure then, Sana could come too right?

                        Kang Yeosang : of course, just make sure you get a proper rest

                         Moon Hani : aww thanks Yeosang

                         Kang Yeosang : You’re welcome :)

Now I feel quite relieved, after missing out on his invitation before, finally I have the chance to make it up and go see Yeosang on Wednesday after school for his dance evaluation. I actually kind of think that maybe what Sana say is true? That Yeosang likes me? But he is just kind so maybe it’s not a big deal if he invite me over to see his dance evaluation. He probably invite many people too.

***

It’s already Wednesday and Sana keeps talking about what should she wear to Yeosang’s dance evaluation. Should we stick to our uniform or put on a jacket, or maybe we should dress ourselves in training and snapback.

I haven’t seen San since last Friday. My brother says that he still has a headache so he cancel San’s Tuesday lesson. I was disappointed of course, and I haven’t seen him in school too.

I walk to the dance school Yeosang told me. Beside the school, there’s a big park and a stage was set up there. I walk and find a seat in the middle row. I look around but couldn’t find Yeosang.

            “Wow, this must be a great dance school” Sana said while looking around the park.

            “Hani” I heard someone calling my name

            “Annyeong oppa” I saw Sana bow his head. It was Choi San.

            “What are you doing here?” I asked him.

            “I’m the one who should ask you why you’re here”

            “Me? I’m going to see my friend. He’s going to have an evaluation”

            “Oppa is the student here too?” Asked Sana

Choi San just nodded but still looking at me.

            “That means you’re going to perform too?” I asked smiling

            “Yeah. How’s your brother?” He asked

            “He’s good. He’s getting better”

            “Okay then I gotta go”

            “Okay, good luck” I said as I wave my hand to his back

            “Oh my God. He treats me like I was an electronic doll who could ask questions, how rude” Sana complained

            “I think my crush era with Choi San is over, I don't like rude boys” She added pouting.

            “Haha, before I know him, I also got that kind of treatment.” I laughed and we sit again to wait for the event to start.

***

The dance evaluation runs smoothly. Yeosang did a great job with his team called Avengers, and San too. I didn’t know he’s also good at dancing. Could he be more perfect than this?

And turns out Choi San and Yeosang knew each other very well.

Yeosang introduce me to his friends, which happened to be San’s friend too. But San didn’t say anything. Sana looks so happy, since all of Yeosang’s friends are so handsome. I bet she forget about Wooyoung for a moment. After that Yeosang had to go with his Avengers team, while me and Sana walk to the nearest bus stop.

When we arrived, Sana’s bus was already there so Sana run to catch it.

            “I’LL CALL YOU. I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL” Yell Sana

            “OKAY, BE CAREFUL” I say as I yelled back

            “That’s so loud. People are looking.”

I turn my head and find Choi San’s behind me walking with his hoodie covering his head.

            “Why are you here?” I asked

            “to catch a bus”

            “I think you went out with Yeosang”

            “That’s Avengers team matter”

            “Their team’s name is really Avengers?” I asked him and sit on one of the chairs at the bus stop

            “Yeah. Because they really are Avengers. They’re so great” Said San as he lay his back to the billboard beside my seat.

            “You’re great too, and you did a solo dance. That’s cool”

            “No need to compliment me” He said while typing something on his phone.

            “But that’s true though. Just ask Sana. She’s so honest about things like this.”

            “I should ask her then not you.”

            “Ya, I won’t compliment you again then.”

He laugh. “What’s with that Ya. I’m your senior.”

            “Oops. I actually forgot that you’re my senior” I said. But it's true, truthfully I actually forgot that he is my senior and just casually talks like we’ve been friends since forever.

            “So, do you like dance as a hobby or do you want to pursue it?”

            “What do you think? Can I pursue it?”He asked, finally looking at me and not his phone

            “Well, I don’t know. If you like it then go ahead.”

            “But you say that I’m great”

            “You are. But I don’t want to get in your way you know. If you really want to pursue it, it should be because you want to and like it. Not because someone’s opinion”

            “You’re wise. Who told you that?” He asked

But then the bus come and I go inside.

            “Who teach you?”

I look up and see him standing beside my seat. I smile.

            “My dad. He always told us that.”

San continue to stand beside my seat, and I continue to see his reflection through the bus' window

            “Hey, your brother’s home?” Asked San suddenly

            “Yeah. Why?”

            “Can I come?”

            “Sure.”

We walk down the path we usually take whenever we come home together. But this day it feels so short like I would want the street to be much longer than this. I look at our feet walking side by side.

            “You don’t go buy your strawberry yogurt?” He said when we walk past Abba.

            “I have it this morning.”

            “so 1 yogurt per day?” He asked

            “Yep, 1 yogurt per day.” I answered

***

            “Ya, why are you here?” Junsu oppa was watching TV when me and Choi San came.

            "Are you guys like dating now?" He added and laugh. I sighed and enter my room to put my bag

            “I heard you fell off the stairs” Said San and sit at the sofa beside Junsu Oppa

            “YA HANI don’t go around and say that I fell off the stairs.” 

I laugh and walk out from my room. “Dad’s not home?” I asked

            “No. And why exactly you guys coming home at this hour? You two have a date huh?”

            “What? No. I just saw my friend’s dance evaluation and turned out San’s there.”

            “Ya. I’m older than you” Said San

            “He’s older than you Hani Moon. Call him Oppa.”

            “Yes call me Oppa Hani Moon” Repeated San

            “Oh God. You call me Hani Moon once again I wouldn’t call you Oppa for the rest of my life.” Both of them giggled.

            “You guys already eat?” Asked my brother.

I shake my head. “Not yet. And he must be really hungry after the dance evaluation.” I said pointing at Choi San.

            “Okay then, let’s go have marinated crab and deep fried squid!”

            “YESSSS, that’s what I want to hear” I said as I follow my brother downstairs.