Kairos

Kalopsia

KAIROS (n.)

The perfect, delicate, crucial moment; the fleeting rightness of time and place that creates the opportune atmosphere for action, words, or movement: also weather.


April

        Spring has come. And it’s the 2nd year of my high school life. Nothing exceptional. Because I’m just an ordinary girl, you can’t expect much. But well, Choi San is going to graduate soon so I should at least greet him, well if I could start a conversation that would be great.

           I live in an apartment with my stepfather and stepbrother. Yeah, I practically live with a family who doesn’t share any DNA with me, but hey I once donated my blood to my stepbrother when he had a motorcycle accident. So I guess we kinda share the same blood?

        It’s 3:00 PM, and I’ve arrived safely at the convenience store near my apartment building. After buying my favorite strawberry yogurt, I went upstairs and walked towards the door which I remember correctly as my apartment’s door, but then what I saw is something unexpected, Choi San is standing in front of it. I just can’t believe what my eyes just witnessed, but it’s really him! Choi San is standing right before my apartment door. I held my breath, trying to act normal and greet him.

            “Um sorry, can I help you with something?”

           He turns his head, looking at me from head to toe and then my strawberry yogurt. I never realized, but he has these beautiful dark brown eyes, plus he smells so great, I can barely focus.

            “Is this Lee Junsu’s house?” He starts to speak.

        “Umm, yes it is, he’s my brother, I’m Hani, Moon Hani” I said as I try to shake his hand, but he just looks at me confused. Maybe because I introduced myself as a sister of someone with a different family name.

          “Stepbrother” I added.

          “The private teacher?” He asked again, seemed he didn’t notice that I just put my hand back in my uniform’s pocket.

          “Yes, he is. You wanna come in? have you made an appointment?” I asked while trying to open the door with the key that I brought. We both come inside and find my stepbrother is sleeping in front of the TV, there is an Ice cream box beside him and an apple.

            “I’m sorry, you can sit here first” I said as I grab the apple and Ice cream box then put it in the refrigerator.

            “Oppa, someone’s searching for you” I shake my brother's shoulder while he keeps sleeping. I peeked at Choi San’s place. He looks around but doesn’t say anything. I can’t help but stare at him. I never knew that he has fair skin. I never look at him this close.

            “Oppa” I continue to wake him up.

            “Ah, what happened? You’re home already” My brother said while rubbing his eyes and turning his head to the left.

            “Who is he?” He asked, trying to gather his soul. “Your boyfriend?” He continues.

            “Eh? No, he’s not, he’s my senior in school, he said he wants to meet you” I said while looking at Choi San. He was checking out my uniform. Turns out he really doesn't know me and has not even realized that we’re from the same school. I sighed.

            “Ahhh yes, I know, you text me before, so what is it?” Ask my brother to him. But San keeps staring at me, and I know that it's just a conversation for them two, so I try to offer a drink which of course, replied by nothing.

            I go to my bedroom and change my clothes. Choi San is sure cold, just like what people said. After changing my clothes, I can’t help but walk to the kitchen to eavesdrop a little about their conversation.

          I sit at the high chair, and start eating my favorite strawberry yogurt while I keep hearing my brother coughing, it must be because of the cigarettes. His father is sure a bad role model. I couldn’t hear anything since my brother keeps on coughing and coughing, but then after the cough stopped, all I can hear is the door being shutted.

           “What happened?” I said and then sat beside my brother.

           “What?” He asked me back

           “What happened? What are you guys talking about?” I repeated.

           “That Choi San guy is going to take a private lesson start tomorrow.”

           “Why?” I can’t help to keep asking.

           “Why? To pass the test of course” He said while looking at me in a funny way.

           “What? I thought he has a good grade. But why you? I remember you said that you don't want to take any student for now”

         “Why me? Hani, you know that I am the best private teacher. Why are you questioning my capability?  Don’t you see that I am the reason behind your top 3 ranks throughout your school life young lady?” He said as he stand up from the couch and grabbed a cigarette.

           "Also, he pays good money" He added and lit his cigarette.

         “Not that I'm questioning your capability old man, but I didn’t know you’re that popular. Because he’s basically searching for a private tutor, and from what I know he’s the type to always looking for the best in anything and end up choosing you.”

            “You seem to know a lot about him, you like him?

            “Me? No of course not, he is just popular, too popular there’s no way I can’t know him since everyone keeps talking about him” 

            “I see, a popular guy is going to have a private lesson here, huh you should be happy then little sis” He teased me then walked to the balcony and continue smoking.