Chapter 5

Onboard the Shinee Ship: Origins

“Henry often gets mad at me for being able to read a room so easily. Jinki thinks it’s amazing and I’ve always liked that about him. One of the upsides to being a Varium is you learn pretty quickly what all the micro-expressions mean, especially on a Terran. Jinki makes no effort to hide them which is why I feel very strongly about my responses towards him sometimes. On the other hand, galaxies bless him, Kibum is nothing but micro-expressions. It’s how I know he doesn’t mean any actual harm when he says or does certain things. Lucky for him.”

-Varium Larad

 

                Maybe it was impossible to get a solid read on someone like Kibum, but Jinki wasn’t going to let the lack of knowing what he was thinking stop him. Unfortunately, Kibum also wasn’t very forthcoming about his schedule or dorm room number. He had to call in a favor from Ercite to figure out what Kibum’s classes were so he could at least shadow him, but then he had to figure out how to work around some of his coaching schedule snags.

                Jinki worked at Hajoon’s high school with the grav jumping team after classes got out twice a week. Their school team was pretty good and usually made it to the global finals. He also helped with the low grav gymnastics team for Doyun at her middle school once a week after school. It was more for support than anything else. And he had to support Siwoo at the community center but she could only practice in the mornings before elementary school started. Daejung was easy because they practiced (really, played games together) on the weekends, but for the others… he’d have to figure out solutions for three classes.

                “Why does it look like he just threw a dart at the list of times to see which ones he got and decided to run with them?” he wondered to himself. The classes made sense but the schedules were all over the place. He even had an evening class that would cut into when Jinki usually headed home to help with supper.

                The first day was no problem as it was one of the few days where there were no conflicts. When Kibum noticed him standing beside the door of his classroom, he seemed surprised to see the other man. “What are you doing here?” Kibum asked in a flat voice.

                “Making sure you’re here on time,” Jinki grinned, refusing to let the lack of enthusiasm bother him. “I didn’t see you coming out of the first-year dorms so figured you might have come early, but I guess I just missed you somehow.”

                “I guess,” Kibum murmured with a shrug. “Well. I’m here. You don’t have to stick around anymore,” he added, eyeing the other man with a slightly softer expression than a moment ago, as if he was mulling something over.

                “I know, but I need a way to contact you and if you give me your dorm number, I can meet you there to make sure you wake up on time too,” Jinki promised, looking expectantly at the first year.

                Kibum sighed and shook his head, his face shuttering again. “It’ll be fine, Jinki. I don’t need you checking up on me like that.”

                “Just in case,” the second year urged persistently. “Especially since I have to figure out our schedules and I might need to contact you last minute.”

                “You have my class schedule?” he asked, honest confusion evident on his face. “How?” Wariness reappeared but it was paired with a slight degree of admiration.

                Jinki laughed and shrugged, though he did admit, “I have my ways. But seriously. What’s your dorm number?”

                “It doesn’t matter,” Kibum exhaled, turning like he was going to head into the classroom.

                “You do live in the first-year dorms, right?” he asked for clarification, holding his hand out to stop Kibum without touching him. He had the distinct impression he didn’t like being touched without permission.

                Kibum laughed once and rolled his eyes. “Where else would I live?”

                Jinki shrugged. “Sometimes students get put in second-year rooms or other temporary housing when there’s a shortage of space or if something comes up. I just wanted to make sure.”

                “Sure,” Kibum nodded before pointing towards the classroom.

                “Right!” he laughed once, stepping back to let him go. “Study hard!” he cheered, smiling when he at least got a half-hearted wave from Kibum before he disappeared inside. “Oh shards,” he cursed after a moment. “I forgot to get his contact number. Oh well. I’ve got time to kill,” he laughed to himself, looking around to find a corner to settle in and make some notes while he waited for Kibum’s class to finish.

                When it was about time, he packed up and moved to wait outside of the room once again. “Kibum!” he called when he spotted the younger student.

                Kibum visibly flinched in surprise. “What are you doing back here?” he blurted while moving aside so as to not block the doorway.

                “I never left,” Jinki laughed in slight embarrassment. “So I just found a corner to study in.”

                “Why?” the other man wondered, looking Jinki up and own with just his eyes.

                “So I can get your contact number,” he answered, frowning in confusion when a couple other first years giggled at hearing his statement. Kibum groaned and placed his fingers to his forehead while the implication hit Jinki belatedly. With a worried sound, he waved his hand at them and pointed at Kibum, “He’s my mentee!”

                “Like that’s gonna help,” Kibum snorted, shaking his head.

                “If you’d have given it to me in the first place, that wouldn’t have happened,” he reminded him.

                “Don’t you have a class to get to?” Kibum wondered, looking at his mentor pointedly.

                “Ack! I do,” Jinki yelped, checking his wristwatch to confirm. He started to run off but then stopped and ran back, stopping firmly in front of Kibum. “Contact number,” he stated, holding his hand out expectantly.

                Kibum raised a brow and laughed once at Jinki’s act. He glanced down at the open hand and then back up to meet determined brown eyes. “Maybe next time,” he smirked, using the back of his hand to push Jinki’s hand up and towards his own chest.

                Jinki exhaled noticeably and wrinkled his nose. “Next time, then. And don’t be late for your next class!” he called back as he started running towards his own class. He didn’t see the way that Kibum smiled at him as he left, a hesitantly soft look that almost reached his eyes.

                And so went the first week. Jinki made make-up promises to his siblings and steadfastly tracked down Kibum at each class. Sometimes Henry or Larad or Ercite would come with him, since they were heading for the same class as him and they for acting like an overbearing big brother or father figure. He ignored them of course, but couldn’t deny it did sort of feel that way right now. Regardless, worry gnawed at him when the time got close for Kibum to be late, but he never was, to his credit. Eventually, with enough incessant pestering, he was able to get Kibum’s contact number, though his dorm number remained a mystery.

                Over the weekend, Kibum ignored Jinki’s calls to try and set up out of class meetings to work on studying and picking up some of his class grades. At a university event over the weekend, Jinki’s usual trick of asking around for info didn’t come up with much. Apparently, Kibum was known for talking to people but he was difficult to get in touch with outside of in person. You could always send him a personal message, especially through the university’s student ID system, but he could ignore it at will too. Which he did… That made Jinki consider checking out The Stars Align to talk to his coworkers, but it was a daunting prospect and he wasn’t sure if that would be too… invasive this early on.

                After much thoughtful deliberation, he figured he’d give it another week and instead focus on trying to get closer the old-fashioned way. Then again, that plan was better in theory as it also required being able to setup meeting locations and times and Kibum was apparently having none of that.

                Okay. So maybe he didn’t have a good way of getting in touch with Kibum. The contact number wasn’t working for whatever reason. Personal messages fell flat too. That didn’t mean his hands were completely tied. He had lots of other contacts for students he’d helped in the second- and first-year classes and some of them had classes with Kibum.

                “Time to call in some favors,” Jinki mused with a shrug as he looked over his contact list and cross-referenced classes and study times he’d previously organized.

                In all honesty, it was only supposed to be a small group effort, if that. He really did message just a few people at first. After explaining what the situation was, almost all of the handful he asked were onboard with making this happen. That was enough for Jinki and it even worked pretty well the next day when a first-year student notified him of Kibum’s location when he was checking the other man’s ‘usual’ haunts outside of his known classes. Namely, the library where he’d been napping that one time and the canteen where he popped up from time to time.

                Instead, he was gossiping with a group of first years near the sports and physical activity arena. That was not where he’d expected to find Kibum but lo and behold, his silhouette became noticeable as Jinki approached and the chatter died down before the same first-year he’d enlisted raised her hand and waved, “Hi Jinki!” Kibum started in surprise and turned to see the approaching man with a look of calculated calmness. A chorus of greetings erupted from the five other students present, most of whom knew Jinki or were at least familiar with him, though Kibum remained silent.

                “Hi!” Jinki waved back as he moved closer, allowing his gaze to settle on his target. “There you are, Kibum. You are a difficult person to find,” he laughed, pausing next to Kibum while he looked around the group.

                “Oh? Why are you looking for Kibum?” one of the less familiar Varium students asked, a playful lilt to their voice.

                Jinki’s current assistant waved her hand dismissively before he could answer and said, “It’s not like that. Jinki’s just Kibum’s mentor.”

                “Just?” was the next hinting question from a different member of the group. Giggles followed the inquiry as all eyes turned to Jinki for clarification.

                “Yes. Just his mentor,” Jinki laughed innocently, turning a bright smile towards Kibum again.

                Kibum clucked his tongue and exhaled quietly as he gave Jinki a once over. His attention shifted towards the rest of the group and he pulled a practiced smile into place. “I just remembered I’ve got something to do. I’ll talk to you guys later,” he promised, smartly turning on his heels and walking off.

                “Aw. Kibum!” the group whined half-heartedly, though there were amused laughs and whispers at his sudden departure too.

                Jinki would have had to have been blind to miss the furtive glances they gave him before he waved at them and ran off too. “Kibum! Wait up!” he called, catching up easily enough, but the standoffish aura around the first-year was slightly intimidating.

                “You are strangely persistent,” Kibum admitted after a moment’s pause, looking at Jinki out of the corner of his eye.

                “I promised I would be your mentor and I meant it. But I can’t help you if you keep brushing me off after classes and won’t find time to meet up with me to study,” he explained earnestly, keeping pace with Kibum’s quick steps.

                The first-year quirked his mouth to the side in a partial frown and sighed, “If this is about me helping you, it’s really not necessary. I already told you I don’t need the help.”

                Jinki gave an equally frustrated sigh and shook his head. “And I told you, a promise is a promise.”

                Kibum stopped and turned to face Jinki with pursed lips and crossed arms. “Look. You’re nice and this whole mentor thing is cute and all but stop. Consider whatever debt you think you have repaid or something,” he muttered, one hand fluttering in front of him dismissively.

                “Kibum,” Jinki frowned, struggling not to feel too hurt by the abrasive attitude.

                “I’ve got somewhere to be so just… give me some space okay?” he murmured, the pause indicating he had probably chosen his words with some care.

                “Wait,” Jinki called out, stepping after Kibum uncertainly. “I haven’t been able to reach you on your contact number.”

                “Then PM me,” Kibum shot back over his shoulder.

                “I have been!” Jinki retorted, sighing in frustration when all he got in response was a quick shrug. Locating him was easy enough. Actually talking to him in a meaningful manner when he wasn’t ready or expecting it… not so much. Jinki really did just want to help, but it was possible he was coming on a little strong. And Kibum had asked for some space, although he’d probably meant in a more permanent manner. Henry was right. Kibum was prickly… but Jinki remembered how he’d reacted in the provost’s office the week before. He didn’t want to fail and be kicked out of the university. So why did it feel like he was trying so hard to dare it to happen?

                Reluctantly, Jinki stepped back a little bit and simply tried to press a bit more about which classes he was struggling with. He probably could have called in another favor from Ercite, but they had already taken the risk with Kibum’s schedule. The same could be said for the dorm room number but that really felt… creepy to ask around about. His helpers kept tabs on where Kibum was and if he was in the general vicinity, Jinki would wander by to see if he was relatively alone or in a group. With the latter, he left him alone and with the former, he simply sat down nearby, trying to glean what he could from afar.

                When the weekend came, he got a couple updates from his helpers again and he urged them to leave Kibum alone during his non-school hours. They said they understood and didn’t message him again. Honestly, he thought that was the end of it. In retrospect, he probably should have known better. Little did he know that his helpers were recruiting additional help, turning it into a game of sorts. Whether it was because Jinki was in love with the mysterious Kibum and was desperately chasing him or he actually was his mentor, it didn’t matter. The student body, especially the first years, were hooked. It got a very direct response on the second day of the following week.

                Jinki tapped his call chip activator, a touch sensitive pad on his temple, to check the incoming message from one of his first-year helpers on his communicator. He’s coming to you today.

                “Huh?” Jinki blinked with a head tilt, trying to better understand what the message meant. As per usual, he was killing time in the library before his next class that would end with him heading to help with coaching afterwards. That also meant he was equally easy to find.

                A ball of frustrated energy and a loud hand slap on the table made him jump in surprise. “What is wrong with you?!” Kibum scowled, turning a glare that probably could have curdled milk on Jinki.

                Personally, wilting under the look would have been preferable to answering, but with the looks he got from the interruption, that wasn’t much of an option. “What do you mean?” he asked, completely lost.

                The glare darkened and Kibum angrily pulled up a portable holoscreen, spinning it around to show Jinki the forum title. “’Where’s Kibum?’” he snarled, pointing at the title of the forum and the various responses under the tag. It was a private group and not open to the public, obviously, but that didn’t mean it was small…

                Jinki paled as he looked at it with wide eyes. “I didn’t do it,” he defended himself, swiping it away and looking around to see how much attention they were drawing.

                “But you started it!” the first year pointed out with clenched fists.

                “I only asked a couple people,” he promised, standing up and making soothing motions in Kibum’s direction.

                Kibum barked a laugh and rolled his eyes. “I can’t decide if you’re that naïve or just plain dumb,” he drawled, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers.

                “Hey,” Jinki complained half-heartedly, undeniably taken aback by the comment and hurt. “You don’t have to-”

                He didn’t get a chance to finish before Kibum reached out to grab the front of his uniform with one hand and pull him close. “They are following me near where I work, Jinki,” he hissed, the tone quiet but venomous. Jinki winced again. “Fix it!” he snapped, shoving the second year back before slapping his hand on the table again. “And for the love of all the galaxies, make sure it never happens again,” he spat, turning to stalk off.

                Stunned, Jinki could do little more than stare after Kibum’s stiff back as the other man left. His chest tightened and he felt pricks in his eyes from the intensity of the encounter but he forced himself to take a breath. Another breath later and a large swallow allowed him to look down and focus on what Kibum had left on the tabletop. A contact number. Different from the one he’d given originally. Shaken, he snatched it up and swiped it into his contact list before looking around uncertainly.

                Curious faces quickly turned away when they met his gaze and Jinki knew their conversation had been seen, if not entirely heard. He swallowed again and tried to sit down to focus on his notes, but it was no use. His eyes burned again and he scrubbed at his face before calling up his contact list once more. He had a couple groups listed, but only one for his besties.

                Emergency. Need backup now. He sent the message with a location pin in case any of his friends were nearby and shakily tried to settle his nerves while he closed his notes and texts.

                “Jinki!”

                He jerked when he heard his name, stomach flopping for a second before he recognized the voice. “Henry,” he breathed a sigh of relief that almost released the floodgates.

                “What’s the emergency? Are you okay?” his friend asked as he hurriedly ran up, looking around for any sign of trouble.

                “Weren’t you in class?” Jinki mumbled in a tight voice, struggling to hold it together.

                “Doesn’t matter,” Henry promised, grabbing Jinki’s face in both hands and looking at him closely. “Who did this to you?” he growled, looking around to find the culprit.

                “Kibum,” he sniffled without thinking, starting to huff as the encounter washed over him once more.

                Henry’s mouth fell open and he growled, “That little…”

                “No,” he blurted, tugging at Henry’s arm insistently. “My fault,” he hiccupped, really starting to struggle to keep it together.

                “Hey, hey,” Henry soothed, tugging his uniform sleeve up higher so he could dab at the helpless tears that were starting to leak from Jinki’s eyes. “Come on then. Let’s go back to my place first,” he smiled, patting Jinki on the head in a consoling manner. He tapped his communicator activator and sent a voice message to the group chat so that Larad and Ercite would be able to find them soon.

                Somehow, Henry was able to help keep Jinki together as they made it across campus to his room. And even when they reached the safety of Henry’s dorm room, Jinki only sniffled and had the occasional tear leak free. He kept Jinki company until Larad and Ercite arrived, which didn’t take them long, given the call.

                “What happened?” Larad asked as he removed Ercite from his shoulder when they entered the room shortly after calling in.

                “Kibum’s mad at Jinki and he’s,” Henry started to explain, pointing at Jinki, “convinced it’s his fault.”

                “Ah,” Larad chirped, sitting down and opening his arms to pull Jinki into a protective embrace.

                “Larad-” Henry tried to warn but it was too late.

                In the circle of his friend’s arms, Jinki didn’t exactly break down but it gave him permission to cry, effectively rendering him ineffective in telling the situation. Fortunately, Henry had gotten most of the gist and he showed the forum to Ercite. To their credit, they actually cringed.

                “No wonder Kibum is mad,” they commented, tapping on their lip with a crystalline finger. “Oh. That’s not good,” they commented, pointing at a new upload on the forum, drawing their combined attention.

                “That’s new,” Henry grimaced, seeing a video recording of Kibum and Jinki’s encounter in the library. “Oh no,” he hissed with a cringe, seeing the comments already starting to pile up under it. “Really?” he added, seeing a follow-up video with Henry and Jinki and those types of comments piling up just as fast.

                “You Terrans never cease to amaze,” Ercite laughed, though it was a hollow sound, given the situation and Jinki’s stifled cries.

                “No arguments there,” Henry agreed with wide eyes that progressively narrowed with some of the comments. He gasped at one particularly creative one and finally joined the chat, though it was under Jinki’s name. I am reading these and you are all terrible!

                There was brief confusion about the poster, but when they realized it was Henry, as it was supposed to be a private room and he shouldn’t have been able to sign in under Jinki’s account, they got flustered for a second and then settled into asking him questions directly so he was eventually forced to just sign off with a disgruntled air about him.

                “Yes. Because confronting them never added fuel to a fire,” Ercite commented dryly while they watched Henry in bemusement.

                “You’re not helping,” he grumbled, pointing a finger at the Dawbn. But then they heard Jinki laugh, albeit weakly. “Or maybe you are.”

                “We do love to imagine,” Jinki sniffed with a tentative smile on his tear-stained face.

                Larad patted him on the head in a friendly manner and sighed, “Can we get the full story now?”

                “Yeah,” Jinki admitted with a final sniff and a reassuring nod. It didn’t take him long to explain it now that the initial rush of emotions had worn off. But that didn’t change the original problem either, which was that Kibum obviously needed, or at least desired, more privacy and Jinki’s ask had effectively taken that away. Again, it wouldn’t have been so bad if they weren’t snooping around his work, but… he could see why that might not be such a good thing.

                “Okay. You try to control the firestorm from this forum situation,” Ercite instructed, pointing at Larad.

                “Me?” he blinked in surprise, androgynous features reflecting uncertainty.

                “I know you have a friend who dabbles in this arena,” they snorted, head tilting in such a way to convey amusement. Larad just laughed and rubbed at the back of his neck. “You just do what you do,” they pointed at Jinki. He pointed at himself in uncertainty and they nodded. “Henry and I will look out for Kibum for now. It’s hard to get mad at a Dawbn,” they winked.

                “Doesn’t hurt you guys have generations of experience to pull from,” Henry scoffed, nudging Ercite lightly. They simply shrugged and nodded in agreement.

                “It’ll work out, Jinki,” Larad promised with a quick nod. “We’ve got your back,” he added, tightening his arms around the Terran lightly while looking down.

                Jinki took a breath a grabbed Larad’s arms firmly. “Thanks guys,” he murmured, looking around the small group in gratitude. “I think I can handle it from here,” he added, finally looking at his wristwatch to check the time. “Wah! I’m late for class and I have coaching soon!” he gasped, flailing until he was able to get free from the Varium’s hold.

                “Jinki,” Henry laughed, standing up and steadying the other man with a hand on his shoulder.

                “One missed class won’t hurt you,” Ercite chuckled, raising their hand and patting him on the hip reassuringly.

                “It’s probably better that you finish pulling yourself together before Hajoon sees you anyway,” Henry added with a grimace. Larad and Ercite nodded in mute agreement.

                “Yeah…” Jinki chuckled belatedly. His oldest younger sister had a knack for being able to see right through him sometimes. Today would not be a good day for it. He sniffed once and rolled his shoulders and head before taking a deeper breath. “Can I ask you guys a favor?”

                Henry snorted and grinned. “Already on it,” he promised, clapping Jinki on the shoulder.

                “You don’t even know what I’m going to ask,” Jinki laughed, though the grin was infectious.

                “It’s you, Jinki. Of course we do,” Larad chuckled, patting him on the back.

                Jinki turned a skeptical look on him but didn’t argue. “Fine, fine. I’m gonna go but I’ll see you guys tomorrow, right?” he asked, pointing between the three quickly.

                “We’ll be around,” Henry grinned, walking towards the front of his room to see Jinki out. “Now go be the badass assistant coach we know you are!” he added, giving his friend a gentle shove out the door. When Jinki was gone, he turned back to the other two and exhaled forcefully.

                Larad raised his hand preemptively. “Forum damage control.”

                “’Where’s Kibum?’ duty,” Ercite spoke next, raising their hand with the hint of a laugh in their voice.

                “Shameless,” Henry laughed, eyeing the Dawbn. “But it’s probably best that you do. Don’t want to add fuel to that fire…” he commented, recalling the second posted video.

                “What will you do?” Larad asked, tilting his head to the side so his medium length mahogany colored hair brushed his shoulder.

                “What else? Go figure out what Jinki missed so he won’t feel so bad about it later,” he winked, brushing his hands quickly. “Let’s do this!” he cheered, obviously trying to keep himself in high spirits about the whole thing.

                “Woo,” Ercite said in a half-hearted manner, one hand partially raised, while Larad barked a laugh.

                “Terrans,” he grinned striding for the door. In the process, he picked Ercite up and placed them on his shoulder. Together, they all exited Henry’s room.