Chapter 39

Onboard the Shinee Ship: Origins

                One month and counting down. The first week, the crew spent their time scouring the Hub for possible leads and contracts. The market was as slim as ever for relative nobodies trying to break back into the field, and most things were a bit too short notice for them to make a bid for anyway. There were plenty of people happy to keep them in mind for later, though Kibum and Jinki knew they were polite platitudes more than anything. Some of their previous clients were more open to the possibility but they didn’t have anything available that Kibum and crew would be able to take on in the short term anyway.

                While they didn’t have much success initially, it was also a good opportunity to look for final touches for their ship. They interspersed their search with shopping trips to add a personal touch to the new vessel. It was mostly for Kibum and Jinki as the only living crew, but Ming did have a couple requests for his medical station and both Taemin and Jonghyun were interested in physical form options for later. The latter was taking some time to warm up, his personality being very stoic and bare, but he was starting to follow Taemin’s example. It was no surprise since he had previously been a cleaning and maintenance AI. Personality wasn’t a requirement. But the new learning algorithms were hard at work and the time he especially spent with Daejung were starting to infuse him with a certain lively energy.

                The second week rolled around and they started reaching out to friends and previous contacts for additional input and potential possibilities. Following up on Taemin’s earlier comment regarding Henry, it was a prime opportunity for Jinki especially to catch up and maybe find a new lead.

                “Jinki!” Henry beamed, flinging himself at his best friend with utter abandon.

                “Henry!” Jinki responded with equal energy, both bouncing in place excitedly.

                Kibum felt a tiny twinge of jealousy and quickly stamped it down as he waited for their introductions to taper out.

                “It’s so good to see you! Video calls don’t do you justice,” Henry continued, stepping back to look Jinki up and down with a bright grin.

                “The same to you,” Jinki retorted, patting the other man’s wrists before shifting up to rest on his shoulders.

                “You act like you haven’t seen each other in weeks,” Kibum laughed with a crooked smile a raised brow.

                “Not in person,” Jinki shrugged, removing one hand so he could open himself up to draw Kibum closer.

                “And you,” Henry chided, shaking his finger at Kibum with a less than pleased expression. He opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, finger shaking harder, but then he glanced at Jinki again and took a visibly calming breath. “There are a lot of things I’d like to call you right now, but Jinki wouldn’t like it so I won’t. For now. Jerk,” he did throw in with a grimace with a quick once over of Kibum. “You do look better though,” he couldn’t help but add, looking away to focus on Jinki, his expression brightening once more.

                Why does Henry seem mad at you? Taemin asked, the childlike voice apparent this time.

                Kibum laughed softly once, an amused but bitter sound, and turned to wave Ming in. “He’s mad at me for Jinki’s sake.” He kept his voice low so it wouldn’t carry.

                Why? That from Jonghyun, a smooth tenor humming in his ear.

                “Henry. You might have heard about our medical android. Meet Ming,” Kibum interrupted the two as he pushed the taller humanoid forward lightly.

                “Oh!” Henry gasped, at least slightly taken aback.

                “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Henry,” Ming introduced, extending a hand as if to shake, his usual suave expression in place.

                Kibum turned his attention back to the AIs. “Because Jinki won’t blame me for his injuries but Henry gladly will. Especially when I wasn’t the best at helping either of us get better,” he exhaled with a regretful sigh. He’d spent many a session talking about Henry with his therapist – for various reasons – but he had finally figured out a thing or two about himself and his relationship with the other man.

                But that was months ago, Taemin murmured, clearly confused.

                The response made Kibum snort. “Time doesn’t matter with some things.” His attention shifted when Henry turned to call inside the house – yes, he’d bought a small house on the outskirts of the city center sometime since they’d last met up.

                “Lorelai! Come here for a sec, hon.”

                Right. They were still together, weren’t they? He hadn’t really thought they’d last. According to Jinki, Henry tended to have a hard time staying in a relationship. That had been true even before they’d met in University.

                “Oh, my. He’s… handsome,” Lorelai commented as soon as she came within view.

                “My lady,” Ming immediately responded, bowing forward and extending his hand in a genteel gesture very reminiscent of his previous profession.

                “Ming,” Jinki chided, pressing the hand down and turning his attention back to the pair. “It’s good to see you again too, Lorelai.” Kibum waved in quiet greeting when she responded as much, taking him in as well and eventually greeting Ming in a more casual manner.

                Lorelai had put on a little weight since Kibum had last seen her, but it looked like there might have been a reason for that when he noticed her belly bump. It was confirmed when Jinki saw it too and got all excited.

                “Congratulations!”

                Happy energy swarmed around Kibum before they were finally ushered inside. And he was happy for them. But he didn’t really know how to bridge the distance that had come between them. It wasn’t like he’d ever been super close to Henry himself, but he was Jinki’s best friend so he’d tried. Now though…

                What’s wrong? Taemin and Jonghyun asked at nearly the same time.

                Kibum was trying to think of how to answer when a hand pressed against the middle of his back, too high to be Jinki, and it startled him. “You should go join them,” Ming suggested, looking slightly down at him.

                “I know,” he mumbled, not answering the AIs yet. But while he was deliberating about how to do so, Jinki looked around and noticed he wasn’t nearby. He met Kibum’s eyes and a flash of concern flickered through them. Kibum could almost hear the unspoken question: ‘You okay?’ “Dammit,” he forced a quiet laugh and a weak smile. Plastering a more welcoming smile on his face, he stepped close to join the conversation with Ming walking along beside him, hand still lightly pressed against his back.

                So maybe the visit wasn’t as easy or fulfilling for Kibum as he hoped it could be, but watching the way Jinki’s face lit up while interacting with one of his best friends was fair compensation, if nothing else. And visiting with Lorelai wasn’t for naught either. She still adored Kibum and was happy to reminisce about his times as Almighty Key.

                “The Stars Align is simply not the same without you. And it’s really changed now, what with Passeri and Jackson taking a step back and all,” she murmured, hands drifting to rest lightly on her lower abdomen. “Though I can understand why.” Her wistful smile turned into one of warmth and wonder and Kibum’s lips shifted to echo her expression. He really should visit Garum before too much more time passed.

                And though Kibum and Jinki seemed to have two entirely separate conversations, intermixing only briefly and often with the unobtrusive intermediary assistance of Ming, they were able to find what they were looking for. Due in no small part because of the keenly listening ears of Taemin and Jonghyun anyway.

                Kibum sighed as he collapsed on their shared bed back home. ‘That was exhausting’ was what he wanted to say, but all that came out was, “It’s good to be back.”

                Jinki chuckled and sat down beside him, gently combing his fingers through Kibum’s hair. “Did you have a good chat with Lorelai?” he wondered, bracing one arm on the other side of Kibum so he could look down at him more directly.

                “Mm,” he nodded once, turning his head to face Jinki clearly. “You?”

                Jinki’s smile was answer enough. “Thank you,” he murmured, tracing a stray strand of hair from Kibum’s forehead.

                A confused furrow appeared between Kibum’s brows. “For what?”

                “For today,” Jinki answered. “For agreeing to come with me. For trying,” he followed up, thumb tracing Kibum’s cheekbone from under his eye.

                An embarrassed flush dusted Kibum’s cheeks. “I am supposed to be the captain and all. I was just following a lead.”

                Jinki’s eyes danced in amusement. “Of course,” he agreed with a dazzling smile, letting his gaze linger on the other man’s face.

                “Now this would be where you kiss,” Ming interjected with a sly grin as he motioned between the two of them from his corner in the room.

                “Ming!” the pair groaned in unison as they looked at the android who simply shrugged. “But he is right,” Kibum agreed, using one arm to pull himself closer to Jinki and the other to push off the bed so he could steal a quick satisfied kiss on the lips. Jinki grinned and moved his arm so Kibum could sit up and then leaned close to plant another kiss on his boyfriend’s cheek. It was a struggle not to become bashful and Kibum only just managed it when he took a quick breath and called out, “Taemin! Jonghyun! Report!”

                Finally! Taemin beamed, popping into view with Jonghyun right behind him. I thought you were never gonna ask!

                I was curious to see what was going to happen next, Jonghyun admitted, tilting his head to the side as he viewed Kibum and Jinki. They flushed and furtively glanced at each other before clearing their throats and smoothing their expressions once more.

                “Now that would be nothing for the eyes of such youngling as yourselves,” Ming chided in obvious amusement. “Though I however could be relied upon to give suggestions.”

                “Ming!” Kibum grumbled, feeling a mortified flush threatening to wash over his body.

                “Taemin. You were saying?” Jinki asked, his voice tighter than usual as he struggled to shift the direction of the conversation.

                Huh? Right! he clapped, immediately pulling up another screen to showcase the information he’d gleaned from their visit with Henry and Lorelai. True to Taemin’s earlier assessment, Henry did indeed have contacts, albeit indirect ones, with two vendors and one other possible client who might be interested in working with them.

                “Ah, the friend of a friend contact,” Ming voiced with an amused lilt.

                “It’s better than nothing,” Jinki countered. “And he’d be willing to vouch for us if need be.”

                “You at least,” Kibum admitted with a self-deprecating shrug. Jinki frowned slightly at Kibum and he looked down with a nod.

                And we can still follow up with Garum too, Taemin reminded them.

                Lorelai mentioned him! Jonghyun announced with obvious excitement at being able to contribute something.

                It had only been in passing and not directly related to what they were discussing but it was true enough. “I think it’d be nice to see him again,” Kibum commented, looking up to meet Jinki’s eyes.

                He has his fingers in everything! Taemin explained, arms gesturing wide.

                “Not surprising for a bartender. Even less so for the owner of a bar,” Ming agreed, blinking slowly. When Kibum and Jinki turned to look at him curiously, he allowed a smug smile to cross his lips and added, “Such positions offer many a rare glimpse into often forbidden avenues.” The way he elegantly placed his fingers against his own chest with a playfully coy look told Kibum and Jinki there was obviously a story – or many stories – there.

                Kibum knew he’d have to ask Ming about them later though. “Okay!” he exhaled forcefully, balling his hands into fists as he sat up straighter. “Jinki. You should follow up on Henry’s leads and I’ll go talk to Garum.”

                “Shouldn’t we go together?” Jinki asked in response, a small furrow settling between his brows.

                Kibum wrinkled his nose. The answer was probably yes, but he really did think it would be better if Jinki followed up on Henry’s leads alone. There was no telling how much of their uneasy relationship would have been conveyed to the possible contacts and… “I think you’ll have a better chance of convincing them if things don’t go as well as hoped.”

                “You’re not bad at it either, you know,” Jinki reminded him forcefully, the frown turning determined.

                “Yeah,” he laughed uncertainly, not feeling that sentiment at all. “But this way we can cover more ground and try to have something lined up before the ship is ready. And you can take Ming to help back you up,” he added, gesturing to the android.

                “Captain. Are you trying to pawn me off?” Ming asked, his voice artfully wounded though his expression held a hint of amusement.

                Kibum scoffed. “You can be charming when you want to be and it’s helpful with persuading people. Plus it doesn’t hurt confirming there’s medical personnel in person.” His answer seemed to please Ming whose lips turned up into a sly smile. “Likewise, you should take Jonghyun too.”

                Oh! the AI chirped excitedly.

                Jinki looked at Kibum long and hard for a solid minute before he took a breath and obviously relented. “I don’t like it exactly, but you make a good point about covering more ground. And you do know Garum better, after all. But next time, we go together,” he insisted, pointing his finger at Kibum firmly.

                “Next time,” Kibum agreed without pause, a small smile tugging at his lips and the corners of his eyes.

                What about me? Taemin openly whined, looking around the group as if lost.

                It earned an amused huff from Kibum. “With me, of course. Silly boy,” he chided, shaking his head endearingly.

                Taemin grinned in response and danced around. I’m going with the captain! I’m going with the captain!

                Jinki reached out to pet Kibum’s head before sliding his hand down to cup the other’s man cheek in his palm. “Well. Let’s see if we can make some magic happen. Right, Captain?”

                “Right,” Kibum answered, the smile that followed genuine and bright.

 

                It took them a few days of corresponding with the desired parties before contact was actually made. Jinki had more success early on since he had names to work with already, but response time was a bit spottier. And working with the desired associates wasn’t always easy due to general wariness about scams, being busy in general, and hesitancy to work with relatively no-name individuals.

                As for Kibum, though he had a slower start, he had marginally more success because, as Taemin had stumbled upon, Garum did know a fair few people that might have information to share or potential jobs to offer. When Kibum asked him why he hadn’t said anything before, the answer was simple. “You never asked, so I never had cause to tell you otherwise.”

                Unfortunately, most of the contacts he could suggest were looking for larger ship captains and bigger contracts. Kibum and his crew fell under neither category. Not that he didn’t try to see if he could work something smaller out. Or ask about other clients looking for smaller scale help. The problem with the small-scale stuff was that there were dozens of such ships and crews looking for work like that. Unless you had a large or rich backer, pretty much everyone started off small.

                After a week of such efforts, both Kibum and Jinki were tired and frustrated and feeling a little down. “I should have known it would be harder to get back into the field than it was to start in the first place,” Kibum exhaled pitifully.

                “Well, you do have a record now,” Ming shrugged nonchalantly.

                Kibum glared at him sharply and would have said something but Jinki patted his leg and shook his head. “Not a record so much as a history,” he corrected. “We just need to find our lucky break is all,” he promised, giving a reassuring nod.

                 But all my suggestions have failed, Taemin mumbled sadly. I have failed my captain! he cried forlornly, head tilting back as he became the picture of defeat.

                It was a sad sight for sure, but it only served to make Kibum laugh once. “And I thought I was dramatic.”

                Hey! Taemin chirped, pouting in Kibum’s direction.

                “Usually, you are,” Ming teased with a sly smirk.

                “Hey!” Kibum grumbled, his glare returning as he focused on the android.

                Off to the side, Jonghyun’s head swung from side to side as he took in all the people in the room with a neutral expression on his face. I don’t see how this is supposed to help our situation, he admitted with a confused look washing over him.

                “It’s not,” Jinki confirmed with a heavy sigh. He raised his hands in mute surrender when Kibum turned to look at him instead, a milder glare in place.

                Ah. The single word response was all Jonghyun gave.

                “You are both inordinately tense. As your medical advisor, I would highly recommend some massage therapy,” Ming stated, raising both hands as if to offer his services.

                Kibum took a deep breath and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in the process. “We should take a break,” he announced suddenly, looking up and around the room with a more relaxed expression.

                “Huh?” Jinki murmured in surprise, and even Ming looked slightly taken aback.

                “Ming’s right. We’re all tense right now and stressing like this isn’t going to help any of us,” Kibum explained, gesturing at the medical android with one hand. “I suggest…” he started to say, one hand balling into a fist as he steadied himself. “No. I order you all to take the day off tomorrow. As your captain,” he added awkwardly, shoulders jumping in a nervous shrug.

                Jinki laughed and leaned over to sling an arm around Kibum’s shoulders before he kissed his cheek and then rested his forehead against Kibum’s head. “Good idea, love. Captain,” he amended with a brighter smile when Kibum turned just enough to look at him out of the corner of his eyes.

                “I agree,” Ming voiced before raising his hands once more. “I still recommend massage therapy, however.”

                “Ming…” Kibum and Jinki groaned at the same time, turning to look at the medical android together.

                “Doctor’s orders?” he wondered, a playful gleam in his eye as he focused on Kibum specifically.

                “Copycat,” Kibum snorted. But he smiled when Ming did and finally took a breath that didn’t feel quite so heavy.

                The day off didn’t fix the core issue but it did break the tension they’d been carrying around for long enough. And two days after, Kibum got a message from Cyanite.

                Hey Kibum! I haven’t seen your name in the listings yet of commissions or contracts on the Hub and thought I’d see if I can help a bit. Maybe. It has been a while but my third ancestor – not Ercite or Zoicite – Malacite actually, used to know a… special dealer on Earth 3.0. They’re a mod-Terran, or at least they were the last time memory serves. Haven’t checked if they’re still alive, but they were known for working with smaller ships from time to time. I can give a recommendation from Malacite. Let me know if you’re interested!

                “Well that’s interesting,” Kibum hummed as he read the message on screen so everyone else could see it too.

                “Agreed,” Jinki responded, head moving up and down with his answer.

                “Interesting that Cyanite is keeping tabs on you or that they might have someone that can help us?” Ming wondered curiously.

                “Both,” Kibum laughed once. “At this point, it can’t hurt to try though.”

                “And it would be interesting to meet a long-term mod-Terran as well,” Jinki added thoughtfully. “There are plenty here that have had minor work done, but if this one is still alive, they’re probably well past the natural extension point and would have to be a brain transfer candidate.”

                “True. Might be worth it alone just for that,” Kibum agreed with a grin.

                “Is that something so interesting to you?” Ming wondered, glancing between the two.

                “I don’t actually know,” Kibum answered with a shrug. “Can’t say I’ve ever met one yet so I’m curious if there’s any difference.”

                “I’m with Kibum on this one,” Jinki added, raising his hand.

                I wouldn’t know either, but I’m in, Taemin piped up, raising his hand like Jinki. He reached over to brush at Jonghyun who hadn’t said anything yet.

                As if on command, Jonghyun followed Taemin’s example and added, Me too.

                “Alright! Let’s give it a try!” Kibum cheered, pumping his fist into the air.

 

(a/n: Phew! This one took me longer to get out than I anticipated. Got snagged in the beginning and had to let it sit for a bit but the second half came along much smoother. We're almost there, guys! Thank you for being patient and I hope you've enjoyed the latest update. If all goes well, this next one should be the last for this adventure, but not the end overall. Time will tell though. If nothing else, wish me luck with getting the next one out sooner and happy reading!)