Chapter 19

Onboard the Shinee Ship: Origins

                The rest of the party passed by in a virtual blur. By the end of the gathering, Kibum had no definite recollections of anything they specifically talked about, save one of the earlier conversations immediately after their performance, or even of particular events that happened throughout. He knew they had taken pictures and there had been several fans and friends that wanted to try dancing on the stage as well, with Garum’s permission of course. He was also aware the drinks they had been sipping on in the later half might have had something to do with that. But really, he figured it had more to do with the fact that he was riding a literal high because of Jinki.

                Due to his performance, a lot of the attention Kibum might have been subjected to was otherwise shunted to Jinki instead. He’d gained a fair few fans that day himself, though he could get no relief from his circle of friends and his sisters especially. And while Psitassi admired Jinki’s debut, she was still very firmly in Kibum’s camp when it came to support and preference.

                “Don’t take it to heart,” Passeri soothed upon stepping into their circle when she caught wind of that bit of the conversation. “It’s a Moladhi preference really,” she explained with a gentle laugh, one hand rising to partially cover her beaked mouth. Psitassi nodded in emphatic agreement, but Passeri was obliged to explain why when she received confused looks from the rest of the group. “As far as Terrans go, they’re both diamonds,” she explained, gesturing at both men with her hands. “Jinki is uncut and Kibum is polished.”

                “Hah!” Hajoon barked a laugh, quickly clapping her hand over to stifle the sound, though her mirth was not easily banished.

                Henry flicked her in the forehead and she yelped in complaint. “Traitorous cretin,” he mock-scowled at her, the expression drifting to Doyun when she was starting to giggle too.

                “From a Varium perspective, Jinki is the polished one,” Larad countered, crossing his arms and glancing down at said Terran who was currently ducking his head in flushed embarrassment.

                “Yeah, but you’re biased,” Jinki mumbled, looking at the space directly in front of his boot covered toes.

                “So is she,” Ercite pointed out, gesturing towards Passeri who simply nodded in agreement. “Though I will say Jinki looks more polished than usual with the makeup you applied,” they added. “From a probable Moladhi perspective anyway.”

                Kibum kept his mouth shut but couldn’t quite hide the smile at seeing Jinki’s ears burn bright red. He was saved from having to respond though when Jackson nudged himself into the group with a loud, “Hey, hey, hey now!” It made Jinki look up and all eyes turn to him while he handed a colorful drink to Passeri. “My lady,” he grinned, a toothy expression with nothing but adoration in his gaze.

                “Thank you,” she preened, accepting it gracefully.

                “Also,” he added, holding up his now free hand, another drink in the other one. “If anyone is polished here, it’s me,” he boasted, standing up straight and flexing one of his arms. Of course, no one could see the muscles as he was fully clothed this time around, but his physique was well-known to the audience at large.

                “Of course,” Passeri purred. “The most polished,” she winked before settling her free hand on his shoulder and shuffling close, slightly possessive but proud all the same.

                Then it was Kibum’s turn to blush as he glanced at Jinki out of the corner of his eye and saw the other man was looking at him too. They both looked away quickly while the rest of the group made exaggerated groaning sounds at the obvious display of solidarity and bias between the two primary performers. But then they had started breaking off into smaller groups and pairs, entertaining guests, being pulled into pictures, grabbing congratulatory drinks and otherwise celebrating as the event was intended.

                Garum let them stay a bit longer than scheduled but had to usher them out eventually as he needed time to clean up so he could open for the regulars with a special compensatory show. Passeri and Jackson were staying, as were Alexander and Senna, but the majority of guests otherwise had to exit the establishment bit by bit.

                The sun was just starting to go down when Kibum and company made their way onto the streets and started to walk back in the direction of the university. Several fans were still in the vicinity and they followed along too but peeled off when it became clear they should probably head out by the looks they were getting from Kibum and Jinki’s friends. Kibum noticed one of the bemused smiles paired with a raised brow coming from Larad and saw a couple stragglers think better of their distance. It made him smile, but he doubted much of anything could dent his mood just then.

                “I still can’t believe you had nothing to do with that performance!” Henry suddenly blurted, pointing an accusatory finger at Jinki.

                Everyone laughed at Jinki’s confounded look while he glanced at Kibum at his side, one arm around the younger man’s waist and the other holding his wrist over his shoulder. “Ask him,” he defended himself, nodding at Kibum instead.

                Suddenly put on the spot, Kibum’s eyes widened and he shook his head. “That was not my idea!” He turned a brief glare at Jinki who only smiled back at him in response.

                “From what I heard, it was actually Passeri and Jackson,” Ercite commented from their perch on Larad’s shoulder. They shrugged noncommittally when everyone looked their way. “Garum was in on it and I had a lovely conversation with the owner before we left.” Their wink was maddeningly playful, likely as intended.

                “Though it was originally part of Kibum’s plan to get Jinki on stage,” Larad added to Kibum’s acute embarrassment. He looked down so as to avoid the looks that would likely travel his way.

                “Hey. I tried to stop them, but they were determined,” Jinki reminded everybody, recalling how the pair had literally pulled him into it and badgered him into practicing just enough to put on a show.

                “Not that you weren’t good or anything, but I still don’t know whether to be impressed or grossed out that I watched my brother perform on stage,” Doyun laughed with an overexaggerated shudder.

                “He was beautiful,” Henry defended immediately, a slight slur to his voice as he pointed a finger at Doyun like he was daring her to say something else.

                Hajoon snorted, her arms crossed over her chest. “If I didn’t know you two have been friends for forever and already tried the dating thing, I would be inclined to think you have a crush on my brother.” Predictably, Henry’s incoherent sputtering as he fought to defend himself drew everyone’s attention, thereby keeping Kibum’s curious look at Jinki otherwise unnoticed. Well, except for Jinki himself. This close, it was kind of hard to miss seeing a direct glance in his direction. Jinki’s quick wink made Kibum flush and duck his head, hiding away from the crowd again.

                The conversation continued without him though. “No. He has a crush on Aanya,” Ercite corrected deftly, earning a smitten smile from Henry as his attention was immediately centered on their words.

                “She’s amazing,” he grinned drunkenly, starry eyed and distracted while he leaned against Larad, petting the Varium’s chest and abdomen distractedly.

                Larad looked down with a crooked mouth and a raised brow before shaking his head. “Yes, yes,” he agreed, patting Henry’s outer shoulder. “She is a lovely Varium.”

                “Right?!” he beamed, glancing up just enough to see Larad before snuggling against the other male. Everyone giggled at his inebriated antics, up until Kibum awkwardly tripped over his own feet and leaned harder against Jinki than he meant to.

                “I’m okay!” he announced quickly, standing upright with Jinki’s help as they stalled for a second.

                “Are you sure?” Hajoon teased, her eyes narrowed playfully as she certainly noticed the slight flush he felt on his cheeks.

                “Yep,” he nodded once, decidedly not looking at Jinki this time. “And I’m not drunk,” he felt he needed to add with a chagrined smile, though he was slightly embarrassed he’d imbibed a little more than he intended to.

                “You’re definitely tipsy,” Henry snorted, though he was certainly one to talk since he was still leaning rather heavily against Larad. The Varium laughed and kept his hand hovering close to Henry’s back in case he needed to reach out to steady him.

                “I’m almost surprised you didn’t drink more,” Hajoon commented with a look at Jinki.

                He snorted a laugh and shook his head. “I still have to help both of you tomorrow. Knowing you two, you’d never let me hear the end of it if I tried to practice while hungover.” Hajoon and Doyun shared the same look and nodded in mute agreement, both tired but otherwise untouched. They were underage after all and Garum was strict about that sort of thing.

                “Speaking of that…” Hajoon trailed off with a meaningful look at Doyun who nodded along.

                Jinki rolled his eyes and made a shooing motion with his hand. “Go on. I’ll be along later.”

                “Thanks, Jinki!” the sisters responded in unison, doing a weird little cheer that made him wince awkwardly, and even Kibum couldn’t hold back the tipsy giggle. “Race you home!” Doyun taunted, spinning on her heels as she looked back over her shoulder.

                “Brat!” Hajoon yelped, scrambling to catch up. In almost no time, they were rapidly fading out of sight, leaving the group in bemused confusion.

                “They haven’t changed at all,” Henry hiccupped a laugh, leaning into Larad’s side and looking up at him adoringly. “Neither have you,” he added, patting the Varium’s abdomen. “So sturdy. Like Aanya. But much taller. And stronger,” he babbled.

                “You definitely had more than you should have today,” Ercite commented in dry amusement, their eyes fixated on Henry as one craggy brow rose.

                Apparently offended by the claim, Henry tried to stand up straight, pointing at the Dawbn with a weaving finger. “I did no-!” he began to say before he leaned too far back and yelped in panicked surprise.

                “Henry!” Jinki cried out in concern, jerking Kibum when his immediate reaction was to try and help him, but Larad was faster.

                The Varium’s hovering hand reached out to snag Henry’s flailing one, catching fast and hauling him close. Henry collided with Larad’s sturdy torso again with a grunt and an embarrassed pout. “Maybe a little,” Larad reiterated with a nod at the Terran.

                “Jinki…” he whined, turning crestfallen eyes on the other man before he wrinkled his nose as Jinki mutely held his index finger and thumb close together.

                “Me thinks we should be taking this one back first,” Ercite chuckled, patting Larad’s shoulder before looking in Jinki and Kibum’s direction. Their eyes drifted from the third year to the second year though, a softer smile tugging at their lips.

                Partially transfixed by Jinki’s profile, Kibum only belatedly realized that Ercite was watching him and he flinched, blinking quickly to look away. He tried to step back to create space, insisting, “I can walk now.”

                But Jinki held fast, frowning at him with a confused smile. “I’ve no doubt, but I’d rather be safe than sorry,” he defended, fingers tightening on Kibum’s wrist and waist in determination.

                “Oh,” the younger man murmured stilling immediately, even as he felt heat rise to his cheeks and ears.

                Henry made a noise of complaint and tried to lurch away from Larad, reaching for Jinki. “I want Jinki to help me too!”

                “Henry,” Jinki sighed with a shake of his head, attention diverted from Kibum again. It allowed the younger man to look at his profile once more, otherwise unbothered by Henry’s antics. He had an otherwise perfect canvas to observe after all, especially since he hadn’t washed off the makeup yet and it was stunning on him.

                “Get back here,” Larad snorted, stepping out to loop his arm around Henry’s waist and lift him just off the ground, bracing him against his hip. He immediately turned ragdoll though and made Larad lurch from the deadweight. “Childish,” the Varium chided, setting him back down.

                “Jinki’s the perfect height,” he complained, pointing at said Terran without actually looking at him. It was clear he wanted to be ‘helped’ in a similar manner but Larad was too tall.

                “I thought Aanya was,” Ercite reminded him.

                “But she’s not here!” Henry wailed, turning his face towards the sky and pouting.

                “Do you want me to carry you?” the Varium asked, opening his arms like he would to a child.

                “Nah uh,” the Terran mumbled before he shook his head.

                “Do you want to carry Ercite?” There was a delayed pause this time, but eventually he nodded and raised his hands towards the Dawbn expectantly.

                “Pitiful,” Ercite chuckled, allowing themself to be lifted from Larad’s shoulder and deposited into Henry’s arms. “There, there,” they soothed, patting his arms as they let him carry them like a teddy bear. Satisfied with his new role, Henry grinned and hugged Ercite in happy contentment. “Onward!” they encouraged, pointing towards the University.

                “Okay!” Henry cheered, automatically starting to march ahead.

                “We’ll head out first,” Larad leaned close to Jinki to murmur, winking at the pair before he jogged a couple steps to reach the wandering duo.

                “See you later!” Jinki encouraged, waving after them. Only when they’d moved ahead a bit did he finally turn his attention to Kibum.

                The younger man was still looking at him though and they both startled as they realized it at the same time. Kibum coughed once and looked away, desperately trying to wish the heat in his cheeks away.

                “You ready to go back to your dorm room?” Jinki asked, already gently steering them in the right direction.

                Not really. Kibum had a very irrational desire to simply wander around as long as possible with Jinki taking care of him the way he was. But at the same time, he didn’t want to bother him too much. Conflicted, he still found himself nodding in mute agreement. He couldn’t trust his tongue to say what he should.

                “Okay.”

                There wasn’t any need to say more or talk as they continued along. The silence was actually pleasant and peaceful, a soothing balm after the noise and raucousness of the party. Kibum wasn’t sure what he’d say anyway. Every time he snuck another look at Jinki, his tongue grew fat in his mouth and his stomach flipped while his heart skipped a beat and it was very confusing. He who was usually glib and known for having a silver tongue could muster nothing to say in this man’s company at that moment.

                When they reached the campus, Jinki shifted his grip to allow Kibum more autonomy, but he kept his hand on one of his arms as a steady presence. “I can walk from here,” Kibum promised, gesturing towards the dorm half-heartedly. He didn’t want to, but Jinki still had a fair distance to go after this.

                Jinki gave him a raised brow look and laughed lightly. “You know me better than that,” he chided, continuing his steady pace without slowing. Kibum ducked his head and smiled shyly, a faint flush creeping into his cheeks. Yes, he did.

                The campus wasn’t particularly busy as they made their way to the second-year dorms. A lot of students went home or traveled to other domes during the two-month break. As such, they didn’t have to navigate too many early evening greetings or curious looks or knowing smiles. The lift ride was quiet, with Jinki and Kibum the only riders, standing too close and not at the same time. Kibum almost didn’t want it to end. It was pleasant being alone with Jinki. Comfortable and easy. Things he hadn’t felt in far too long.

                The doors opened though and Kibum’s floor spread out before them, typically empty for this time of the school year. A hallway straight ahead led to the other side of the floor and there were corridors on either side that revealed more doors where other second-year students already were or would be anyway, come the start of the next semester. Kibum’s room was on the other side of the floor and to the left. He’d managed to snag one of the last ones and it had him near the end of the hallway, but he was quite alright with that. Not that he could hear people moving around outside of his space anyway, but it was nice not having to worry about being in the thick of everything.

                Almost as if he lived there himself, Jinki guided Kibum out of the lift and towards the second year’s room. He waited patiently while Kibum activated his entrance card – through his personal data unit no less – and then moved inside with him. A gentle nudge ushered him towards the bed and Jinki murmured, “Have a seat.”

                “Jinki,” he laughed softly, allowing the other man to coax him down, the hands on his arm gentle and supportive.

                “I’m gonna get you a water. Hungry?” he asked, turning to head towards the food processor, his own data card already out so he could pay for it himself.

                When Kibum saw the card, he made a sound of complaint and shifted like he was going to get up. “I can pay-” but a look over Jinki’s shoulder made him settle in place and grumble under his breath. There was no gainsaying that look… In quiet protest, he didn’t answer the food question, but couldn’t help when his mouth watered at seeing the mela bread Jinki purchased for him. Still slightly warm, moist, with chunks of soft mela inside and a hint of cinnamon, his mouth watered at the sight. “I hate that you know me so well,” he complained, taking the wrapped food in one hand and accepting the water in the other.

                “I don’t,” Jinki shot back, a cheeky grin on his much too sober face as he sat down on the floor in front of him.

                “Shut up,” Kibum muttered, taking an obligatory sip of water before opening the wrapper on the food and inhaling the subtly sweet scent. He wouldn’t normally buy it on his own – he couldn’t justify the cost and the calorie count, but as a gift, he would not refuse. And it was delicious. Slightly buzzed or not – though to be fair it had mostly worn off – it was magical. He took a bite and hummed in delight, rocking on the edge of the bed like a child.

                “It’s cute when you do that,” Jinki said quietly, a warm smile obvious in his tone.

                Kibum inhaled just a touch and glanced up under long lashes to make sure Jinki was talking about him. Yep. He was if that look was any indication. Saying nothing, he ducked his head and took another bite, looking anywhere but at the other man. “Thank you. For today,” he finally murmured, focusing all his attention on the half-eaten treat in his hands.

                “You don’t have to-”

                “I know,” he interrupted the expected comment. “But I want to,” he explained further, finally convincing himself to look up and meet Jinki’s eyes. The crinkled corners and upturned lips made his stomach do a flip and he stopped breathing for just a second.

                “You’re welcome,” he murmured sincerely, one hand raising like he wanted to rest it on Kibum’s knee. But it paused, hanging uncertainly in the air between him.

                Kibum’s skin tingled like electricity was dancing on it, expectant. Yet, Jinki’s hand started to drift away and he felt a gut reaction to stop it. Before he could even think about what he was doing, he reached out to catch Jinki’s hand in his, freezing as contact was made. “Um…” he sighed, the sound barely making it past his lips while he blinked at their connected hands.

                Jinki’s fingers curled around Kibum’s, securing the hold. “I’m here,” he promised in a quiet voice, staying still otherwise.

                When Kibum risked a look up from the hand holding his, he saw Jinki was just looking at him, as if he was committing everything about him to memory. Kibum’s heart thumped hard against his ribcage. Embarrassed or shy or just plain awkward, he didn’t know how to feel and took a bite that was much too large to cover it. He choked when he tried to swallow and flailed for the water bottle, a muffled, panicked cry escaping him.

                “Easy!” Jinki cautioned with a nervous laugh, immediately at his side and patting his back, guiding Kibum’s hand to the water so he could gulp down several mouthfuls.

                Through teary eyes and with a brilliant flush on his cheeks, he looked up and felt his throat tighten all over again. Jinki was much too close and he bit his bottom lip with a quiet whimper of sound in the back of his throat. Why was he so close? Why was he so perfect? “Why are you so good to me?” His eyes widened and he inhaled sharply when he realized the last thought was said out loud.

                The question conjured a beguiling smile on Jinki’s lips. “Because I want to be,” he promised, sliding his hand up to cup the back of Kibum’s head. Kibum’s heart hammered in his chest and he thought he might die in that moment. “And because I think you deserve to be,” Jinki added, leaning close enough to press his lips to Kibum’s forehead, a soft, warm, and soothing sensation.

                Kibum sighed as the tension and brief panic bled away. He reached up to grab the front of Jinki’s shirt in his fingers, holding lightly as he closed his eyes and surrendered himself to the moment. His eyes fluttered open though, when the lips against his forehead disappeared and reappeared on the tip of his nose, bringing him face to face with Jinki as the other man lowered his face to be level with them.

                They were so close he could see every color and pattern variation in Jinki’s eyes. Feel the warmth of his breath on his lips. See the searching hope in his gaze as he hovered just in front of him. A question hung in the small space between them, unspoken but painfully loud, begging for an answer. It felt like an eternity before Kibum realized Jinki was the one who was waiting. Kibum didn’t know why. Didn’t have the ability to even think about it currently, but he was scared that if he didn’t answer the question right now, he might never.

                “Jinki,” he gasped, pulling at the shirt to bring the other man close enough to make their lips meet. It was supposed to be quick, a small thing in answer to the question, and then done. He didn’t count on pulling so hard though. Nor on Jinki losing his precarious balance as he was leaning over. Momentum pushed Kibum back and he reached to grab Jinki as an anchor. Jinki’s hand on the back of his head cradled him close and then they jerked to a halt, Kibum halfway lying on the bed and Jinki braced above him.

                “Sorry!” Jinki gasped in apology, separating just enough to speak freely. One arm was planted beside Kibum and he was partially straddling his body in an effort to keep from falling on him. A flush suffused his cheeks and burned bright in the tips of his ears. “I didn’t mean-”

                “Jinki,” Kibum whispered, his pulse thundering in his ears, body tingling from head to toe. The single word was enough to stop the other man mid-sentence and really look at him again. Kibum watched the panic fade as curiosity and gentle concern took its place, an attentive expression on his face. “Can you do that again?” he asked, suddenly reckless and curious and wanting another taste of something that should never be so sweet, especially under the circumstances. He was almost literally trapped, half-wrapped in Jinki’s arms and blocked by his body, but he’d never felt so safe and alive in the same moment before.

                A brief look of confusion flickered through Jinki’s eyes, but then he whispered in no small wonderment, “Kiss you?” Kibum nodded. Jinki’s smile was magical as he blinked down at the other man. “Gladly,” he answered, lowering his head to press his lips to Kibum’s again.

                Kibum closed his eyes and surrendered to the way Jinki’s mouth moved against his. How his lips caressed the entirety of Kibum’s; his tongue teased, mischievous and mostly innocent at the same time. He had kissed people before, but if this was kissing, maybe he hadn’t really after all. It felt like he was drowning in the most intoxicating way and it was difficult to focus when Jinki eventually pulled back. He whimpered in involuntary complaint and then bit his lip in mild embarrassment when Jinki heard him.

                Jinki pressed his lips to Kibum’s forehead again and explained, “You need rest. And I…” he trailed off, swallowing once and leaning back again with a forced sigh. “I should probably head home now,” he admitted with an embarrassed laugh.

                “Oh,” Kibum murmured in genuine surprise. He’d forgotten that was something Jinki was supposed to do. And how late it probably was. “Right,” he exhaled, suddenly nervous and unsure as he smoothed down the front of his shirt and awkwardly sat up. He was hyperaware of Jinki shifting off the bed to stand upright, moving around the space with almost clinical efficiency. But he didn’t miss the little sidelong looks the other man kept throwing him or the way his hand drifted towards Kibum just a bit from time to time.

                “Make sure you finish your water,” he encouraged, grabbing the half-empty bottle and setting in next to Kibum again. “And take a shower if you can. You’ll sleep better if you do.”

                “But-” Kibum started to say, just a little confused. Was it even humanly possible to separate one’s emotions that quickly? He reached as if to stop Jinki or at least slow him down.

                Jinki caught his hand and moved close. “I have to help my sisters tomorrow and it is getting late, Kibum,” he reminded the younger man with a genuine smile, all of his attention focused on him once more. He raised Kibum’s palm to his lips and planted a warm kiss in the middle. A shiver raced up Kibum’s spine and he inhaled sharply. “Until next time,” Jinki promised, giving the hand a gentle squeeze before he stepped close, laid one more kiss atop Kibum’s head, and stepped away, heading for the door.

                Briefly frozen in place, Kibum was incapable of reacting in time to stop Jinki before he made it out of the door. It whispered shut behind him and Kibum exhaled, his belly unclenching as he stared at his palm. “Until next time,” he echoed, a giddy grin on his face while he pressed his loosely closed fist to his chest. He leaned back to fall on top of his bed and stare at the ceiling in wonderment, the fingers of his free hand making their way to his lips. “Now that was a kiss,” he giggled, kicking his legs up and then dropping them to the floor.

                “Oh, stop that,” he chided himself, abruptly realizing how silly he was probably acting. “It was just a kiss,” he reasoned, nodding his head once. But it didn’t last long before another shy smile made its way to his lips and he cradled his hands close to his chest. “A really nice kiss. From Jinki.” But then another thought occurred and he cringed. “In my room. On my bed…”

                The ‘what ifs’ immediately started from there. What if Jinki thought he was that way? What if he came on too strong? What if that was why he ran away so fast? What if- “Oh, stop it!” he grumbled, flailing and smacking his hands down on the bed. To curtail anymore such thoughts, he hauled himself up and stalked into the bathing room for a quick shower. It didn’t help as much as he wanted it to. But he saw the water bottle on the bed and remembered Jinki told him to drink it. He did. And then fell atop the bed before burrowing under the cover, equal parts mortified and ecstatic over the evening.

                Under the comforting embrace of his blanket, Kibum drifted off to sleep, the warm memory of Jinki’s lips on his forehead following him into nothingness.