That First Day

The Day the Angels Cried

 

“Hey, are you ok?” asked Jinyoung with concern. It reminded him of how fragile human life was.

 

“Y-Yeah, thanks. I think I just twisted my ankle,” panted the girl.

 

“Here, let me see,” said CNU, approaching her and examining her ankle.

 

“Thank you, but no. I’m sorry if I bothered you. I’ll take care of myself now,” said the girl and attempted to stand, only to fall all over again. Instead of the hard ground, she found herself in Jinyoung’s arms.

 

“Don’t be stubborn. Let my hyung have a look at it,” said Jinyoung in a firm but friendly voice.

 

Jinyoung carefully sat her down and CNU checked her ankle. Out of the corners of their eyes, the three others were sniggering.

 

“And there he goes, charming girls on his first day,” scoffed Baro.

 

“It’s not bad,” said CNU. When he touched it, the pain seemed to have sizzled down, but not entirely healed. It gave CNU the idea that they were really nearly fully mortal and vulnerable down on earth.

 

“Thank you so much. I’m Nam Jooyeon, by the way,” smiled the girl.

 

The boys each took their turn in introducing themselves. When it was Jinyoung’s turn, Jooyeon had to blush.

 

“You guys look new,” she commented.

 

“Actually, yes. We just got here today and we might need help in settling in,” said Sandeul.

 

“I know just the place,” smiled Jooyeon.

 

She led them to an apartment and talked to the owner.

 

“Ah yes, these gentlemen were being waited for,” said the kind ahjusshi. Jooyeon looked puzzled but went along with it.

 

“I’ll let you get settled in and maybe I’ll drop by later in the afternoon to show you guys around. Is that ok?” suggested Jooyeon.

 

Jinyoung stepped up. “That would be great.”

 

“My place is just across the road if you need any help,” said Jooyeon before smiling at Jinyoung and hurrying down the street.

 

Jinyoung looked after her before turning to the others.

 

“You think her foot’s gonna be ok?” Then he noticed the teasing looks CNU, Baro, Sandeul and Gongchan were giving him.

 

“What?”

 

“You like her,” said Gongchan bluntly.

 

Jinyoung was taken aback. “Wh-What? I just got here! And I was just being friendly. What is it with you?”

 

“Mhm.”

 

The others didn’t look so convinced, but they went on inside to check their new living quarters. Jinyoung stood behind and glanced one more time at Jooyeon’s place.

 

“JINYOUNG-AH!”

 

“All right, all right I’m coming,” said Jinyoung while mocking a grumble.