Jinyoung's Decision

The Day the Angels Cried

 

The next day, the five boys went to a secluded part of the city where there wouldn’t be much human interference. They sat in a circle and meditated. It wasn’t long before a messenger arrived.

 

“I’m Chunji. Are you all ready to go home?” he said kindly.

 

“Almost all of us,” said CNU.

 

Chunji was surprised. “Are some of you actually staying?”

 

“One of us: Jinyoung,” said Sandeul.

 

“Oh wow. Dude’s fallen for a mortal, huh? Happens all the time,” guessed Chunji. “Ok, I’m here to those who want to go home.”

 

His brothers looked at him again.

 

“Jinyoung hyung, one last chance,” pleaded Baro.

 

Jinyoung only smiled. “I’ll see you guys whenever, ok? I’ll miss you.”

 

“We’ll miss you too,” said Gongchan.

 

The four brothers took one last look at Jinyoung before disappearing in the light. After that he walked around the neighborhood, trying to run into Jooyeon. No such luck. So he decided to drop by her place. When he got there, another girl opened the door.

 

“Hello. Who are you?” asked the girl.

 

“I’m a friend of Jooyeon’s. Is she home?” asked Jinyoung politely.

 

“Yes, but I’m afraid she won’t see anyone right now,” said the girl sadly.

 

“Why?”

 

Before the girl could answer, Jooyeon’s voice came through.

 

“Sooyeon-ah, who’s out there?”

 

When she came to the door, she was slightly pale and tired-looking, but her face brightened when she saw Jinyoung.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, what brings you here?” she said and smiled.

 

“I was wondering if we could hang out, you know, in Yeouido,” said Jinyoung, returning her smile.

 

“Oh, I guess that’s fine,” said Jooyeon. “I’ll just go change. Sooyeon-ah, show our guest inside.”

 

Sooyeon led Jinyoung in the house. It was neat and small, perfect for a family of just two. While he sat and was offered some snacks, Sooyeon went to her unnie’s room.

 

“Unnie! You don’t like this guy, do you? Don’t tell me you do!” said Sooyeon in hushed panic.

 

“Why? He’s not bad,” said Jooyeon while tying her hair up.

 

“Yeah, but you know your condition. You’re not fit for any relationship anymore,” reasoned Sooyeon.

 

Jooyeon sighed. She seemed to have this conversation for quite a while now.

 

“For once in my life I want to know what it feels like to live normal. Just this one before I go. Please?”

 

“But what happens when you leave?” asked Sooyeon.

 

“You’ll explain it to him, then,” said Jooyeon nonchalantly.

 

“So you’re putting me in awkward position?” said Sooyeon. Her older sister shrugged. Jooyeon smiled at her little sister before carefully walking out of the room.

 

“Jinyoung-ah?” she called. Immediately, Jinyoung stood up.

 

“Well, we’ll see you in a while, Sooyeon-ssi,” said Jinyoung and gave the little sister a slight bow.

 

The two took a bus to Yeouido. It was the time of the year when cherry blossoms will fall from the trees. It was a lovely sight. Jinyoung left Jooyeon for a while to get some coffee.

 

“It’s pretty here, isn’t it?” sighed Jinyoung as he watched the falling blossoms.

 

“Yeah,” said Jooyeon wistfully. Too bad I won’t be able to enjoy it any longer.

 

Jinyoung noticed Jooyeon’s bandaged foot.

 

“Hasn’t that healed by now? I thought CNU hyung was a good healer,” he commented.

 

“Oh, my foot? I-I heal quite slowly. Who’s CNU?” she asked.

 

Jinyoung was mildly taken aback. “He’s my hyung. He helped heal that foot. Don’t you remember him?”

 

“No, wasn’t it you who helped me?” said Jooyeon, confused.

 

Jinyoung decided to let the matter drop. “Oh I guess it is. I must have mixed you with someone from back home.”

 

So that’s what happens. Everyone forgets. I’m only glad I didn’t go home. Not yet, anyway.

 

“You must miss your home,” said Jooyeon.

 

“It’s ok,” said Jinyoung dismissively.

 

On their way home, Jinyoung noticed Jooyeon shiver. He was puzzled since it wasn’t that late in the night, but nevertheless he lent her his jacket.

 

“Here you go, Sooyeon-ssi. Your sister was fine with me,” said Jinyoung teasingly as he deposited Jooyeon in their place.

 

“Oh come on, she knew that,” laughed Jooyeon.

 

The next day, Jinyoung felt a vibration under his pillow. It was his phone. The caller ID was ‘Jooyeon’. He picked up.

 

“Good morning!” he said cheerfully. But instead of another cheery voice, there came the distressed voice of Jooyeon’s little sister.

 

“Jinyoung-ssi? Unnie was rushed to the hospital!”