The Hour has Struck

The Day the Angels Cried

 

It was evident that Jooyeon wouldn’t respond. Jinyoung just knelt there, crying.

 

“It’s been a while since you’ve cried.”

 

“It’s been a while since we’ve seen you, either.”

 

Jinyoung whipped around. There were the four familiar faces he hasn’t seen for almost a month now. CNU, Sandeul, Baro, and Gongchan stood there in angel clothes and their wings were exposed.

 

“Y-You guys…” Jinyoung’s voice was unsteady.

 

“Those are angel tears, if you haven’t noticed,” said Sandeul.

 

“And angel tears aren’t supposed to be wasted like this,” added CNU.

 

“I’m sure you may excuse him. When an angel loves, his love is more than any human’s. When he loses that love, you can’t expect him to be passive,” reasoned Baro.

 

“Don’t worry hyung. Jooyeon will be with us now. We’ll take care of her for you,” said Gongchan kindly. My favorite brother.

 

Then another’s presence entered in the room. Not that of an angel, yet not really human.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, I hate seeing you cry.”

 

Jinyoung looked up and saw the love of his human life standing among his brothers. He took a glance at the dead body lying on the white bed.

 

“That’s not me anymore, Jinyoung-ah. It was merely a shell that held me until this moment. Right now, I’m free. You don’t need to cry for that empty shell,” said Jooyeon with one of her radiant smiles, only now it was more beautiful than real life.

 

Jinyoung got up and wiped his eyes. “Well, you can’t hate anything anymore since you’re with them now,” he said, trying to joke. Then he became serious again.

 

“I’ll miss you, Jooyeon-ah. I’ll always love you.”

 

“I know that. I’ll wait for you up here,” said Jooyeon.

 

They all smiled at him. The room grew brighter until nothing was comprehensible. It was all white, until he heard a voice calling him.

 

“Jinyoung-ah? Jinyoung-ah! Jung Jinyoung, get up!”

 

He opened his eyes and found himself sleeping on the room’s couch. Sooeyon was nudging his arm, and her eyes were tear-filled. Some of the salty liquid was splashing on his face.

 

“I’ve seen her. Why are just sleeping here?” she sobbed.

 

“I’ve seen her too,” said Jinyoung. He got up and made Sooyeon sit with him on the couch. She sobbed freely onto his shoulder.

 

“I didn’t even get to say goodbye to her,” sniffed Sooyeon.

 

Jinyoung her hair comfortingly. “Why don’t you do it now? Who knows, she might be listening.”

 

Sooyeon looked at him for a moment, as if doubting his words. But his eyes were honest and could tell no lies. So Sooyeon closed her eyes.

 

“Jooyeon unnie. I love you so much. I’ll miss you so much too. You’ll wait for me up there, ok?” whispered Sooyeon.

 

Then she looked at Jinyoung. Jinyoung smiled. “I’m sure she heard that,” he said.

 

After the hospital, Sooyeon needed a pick-me-up-per. So Jinyoung treated her to some ice cream. They sat on a bench in a park and watch children play, unaware that a death just occurred in the hospital across them.

 

“I’ll be very lonely without unnie in the house,” said Sooyeon.

 

“I’ll visit you every day,” said Jinyoung.

 

“Hasn’t she told you? I can’t live on my own. I’m just 16, dude.”

 

“Well I’ll move in with you.”

 

“I’d like that.”

 

“But I’m still your sister’s boyfriend, remember that.”

 

Sooyeon whacked his arm. “What do you mean by that?”

 

Jinyoung chuckled. “I think you know exactly what I mean.”