Chapter 1: Flying Sparks

Love is Complicated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How was I to know that this tiny spark would spread like wildfire." — N.R. Hart

 

•••
 

A dyed blonde-haired young woman by the name of Lee Chaeyoung's eyes flutter open. She looks off to the side to see a lover of hers, Cho Seoyoung, otherwise known as Ireh, laying next to her. The slightly older woman with red-dyed hair remains asleep, laying on her stomach with one arm around Chaeyoung, better known as Chaein by her friends. 

Chaein, remembering that she has a date with her other lover, Na Goeun, later today, tries to slip out of Ireh's grasp without waking her up. She does so successfully, shifting so she is sitting up on the bed they had shared. But, before she can even stand up, she feels two arms wrap around her from behind, holding her back. 

"Please, don't go yet," Ireh's tired voice fills her ears. "Stay a bit longer."

"I told you I have plans to meet with a friend for lunch today," Chaein lies to her lover, worrying that if she stayed any longer, she would be late. And it's never a good idea to be late to a date. 

Ireh then lets go, letting out a small, tired whine as she rubs her tired eyes. Chaein couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt at her situation. She wishes she didn't have to lie to Ireh and her other lover, Goeun. She wishes that she could just choose one or the other. But it isn't easy for her. It sounds selfish, but Chaein wishes she could have them both. 

"I know.." Ireh lets out a small sigh as she stretches her arms out above her head. The red-haired woman then sits up. "Have fun with your friend. Don't miss me too much," she teases a bit as the both of them lean in for a goodbye kiss on the lips. Once the pair separate from their kiss, Chaein responds. 

"I will," Chaein smiles softly, standing up from the bed they had shared and grabbing her belongings. "I love you," she tells the red-haired woman, keeping a smile om her face. 

"I love you more," Ireh smiles back, sitting up from the bed. 

"I love you most," Chaein responds, giving her lover one last wave before heading out of Ireh's apartment. Luckily for them, Ireh's roommates Yuki and Dosie were out doing their own thing last night and this morning, so thankfully the two of them had Ireh's apartment to themselves. 

Once Chaein steps outside, the bright sunlight hits her face, making her squint a little as she puts her hand to her forehead to shield her eyes from the bright light. After she closes the door behind her, she begins to head towards the bus stop. 

Chaein lives in a large city. The largest in the world, in fact. Most of the world's population lives in this one city. So, barely anyone drives a car anywhere, if they even happen to own one. The common transportation options are walking or biking or taking a bus or taxi cab. Since the bus route comes right by Ireh's apartment, Chaein has been using the buses in particular to visit Ireh. But now, she must head back to her own apartment and get ready for her lunch date with Goeun. And besides, Chaein's roommate Sujin, otherwise known as Swan, must be wondering where she is. 

Chaein sits down on a bench at the bus stop and begins to wait for the bus to arrive, hoping it would arrive on time. She checks her cell phone, where she sees a message from Swan, as she expected. 

Where are you? You said you'd be back by 11pm last night. The text reads. She knew her roommate must've been worried. She got so caught up with Ireh that she had forgotten to tell Sujin what went on. 

I'm sorry Sujin. I got caught up and forgot to tell you that I decided to spend the night with Ireh. I'll be home in a few minutes though. I told Goeun I'd go out for lunch with her. Chaein responds, turning her phone back off after sending the message. Swan is not aware of Chaein's situation and believes she is just friends with both Ireh and Goeun. She wishes she could tell her roommate and close friend the truth, but she is afraid that she would just push her to choose one or the other, which is something Chaein cannot bring herself to do right now. 

After only a few minutes of waiting, the bus arrives and stops in front of the bus stop. Chaein puts her phone up and picks up her belongings before heading onto the bus. When she headed on, she noticed that the bus was nearly empty with only a few seats filled. She assumes that maybe not many people are going out today. It is a Sunday, after all. She sits down in one of the seats near the window. She puts in her earbuds and listens to some music on her phone as she rides in the bus, looking out her window the entire time in silence. 

A few minutes later, she arrives at the bus stop near her own apartment and gets off the bus, thanking the bus driver on her way off. Chaein walks down the sidewalk, listening to the sounds of the ever-bustling city as she heads in the direction of her apartment. Once she arrives, she heads right inside, where she is greeted by Swan. 

"Chaeyoung!" Swan greets her as soon as she walks in and shuts the door behind her. "How was your time with Ireh? It seems like you had fun, you stayed out longer than you planned."

"I did," Chaein responds with a smile. "We ended up going shopping last night and went back to her apartment. We watched a movie together and before I knew it, I fell asleep!" She mentions. All of it was true, but she made sure to keep out the romantic parts of their time together. 

"Well, I'm glad you had fun," Swan smiles back. "You going to get ready to meet with Goeun?" She asks, walking in the direction of their kitchen. Chaein follows

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter