New Friends

The Sound of Heart

The gymnasium was crowded with over 300 employees from Purple Line's headquarter and its metropolitan branches. They were here for the annual Fitness Day, an event to promote healthy lifestyle among the staff as well as increase engagement. This year, the company had made huge investment to turn it into a competition among divisions with promising big prizes for the winners. Not being a keen sport lover, I didn't come here for competition but for helping out Seulgi, in case she needed someone outside her organizing team to run adhoc errands, which also happened last year. "Please... always remember that you have problem with your vocal cord. Don't overuse it no matter what." Yongsun had warned me as I left for the gymnasium but I just reassured her. "No worry unnie. It's not that I am rooting for anyone." And the job I was responsible for, distributing electrolytes drinks to the participants and supporters in this cramped hydration booth, surely didn't require much use of my vocal cord but my physical strength and facial muscles to keep smiling all the time.

 

"Hey!"

 

Someone tapped my shoulders as I was wiping my sweats, having just completed the delivery of a full 12-bottle eletrolyte drink package to the Commercial division's female futsal team. Yes, it was Jung Wheein doing physical work at the drinking booth instead of joining a sport activity, but never mind, I just didn't like competition.

 

I turned around to find Taehyung in the Back Office Division's purple running uniform grinning at me.

 

"Want some masculine help?"

 

He asked and pointed his chin towards the drinks packages behind me. I didn't tell Taehyung via our brief chat last night that I would be at the event, so it was all a coincidence that we met here. I didn't expect to see him in the running uniform of our Back Office division, a black and white sweatband on his head, either. However, it was not Taehyung that shocked me. It was the person next to him that had me stare in confusion.

 

"Hello Wheein noona!"

 

The person did take my confusion for granted as if he had got used to me looking so confused. Ok, I would be lying if I said I wasn't surprised at all to see Lee Juyeon standing next to Kim Taehyung in front of me at that time. Juyeon was wearing Operations Division's navy blue running uniform, which meant they might compete in a certain category. But seeing them together did raise a lot of questions in me about their relationship and more importantly, about what Taehyung had done in the name of my show. I glared at Taehyung, trying to communicate via telepathy with him but in vain, of course. Nor could I use sign language, as Taehyung was obviously not Hyojin.

 

"Well... tell me, Juyeonie and Taehyung-ssi" - I handed them two drinks just like what I had done for anyone who visited the booth - "It's not a coincidence that you both are here at the same time, right?"

 

"I've asked you already..." - Taehyung twisted the bottle cap and drank casually - "...if you need masculine support for the job. And I bet my coach-nim here does want to give you a helping hand. "

 

"Coach-nim?"

 

"Yeah." - Juyeon beamed. - "He persuaded me to train with him although we'll be going head to head today. But...I didn't know that you guys know each other."

 

"Well" - Taehyung nudged Juyeon and took another big gulp of drink. - "I have to thank Hong Sol at the café for introducing me to another anti-Americano in Purple Line."

 

He then winked at me, as if he didn't want to expose the fact that we got to know each other by becoming partners at FM The 9th Hour because Juyeon would doubt the story which was aired yesterday. Being anti-Americano and getting introduced to each other by Hong Sol turned out to be a valid storyline.

 

"Yeah... That's really a surprising coincidence but we did have the same taste, right Taehyung-ssi?"

 

I raised an eyebrow at him and was replied with a secret thumb up from Taehyung to approve my synchronized reaction. Without my instruction, both of the guys started giving out drinks to the colleagues visiting our booth and in return, receiving cheering on their upcoming race, which would be the last event of the day. Having overheard some conversations, I learnt that the Operations Division was quite confident about Juyeon's winning the last race as he used to be in the athletic team back in university. Meanwhile, Back Office had never won a single race ever since Fitness Day was organized. But honestly speaking, I doubted the winning chance for Back Office, as apart from Juyeon, there were a lot of strong contenders from the other divisions. That's why I just brusbed off his question with a smile when he asked.

 

"So Wheein-ssi, I guess you will support me, your fellow Back Office colleagues in the race, right?"

 

"Juyeon will beat you anyway, Taehyung-ssi. Ain't everyone expecting so?"

 

"Say what?" - Taehyung rested both hands on his hips and pouted at me. - "How can you underestimate me, Wheein-ssi?"

 

I had no time to give him a counterattack because right at that moment, Hong Sol appeared from the other side of the booth, which was separated from my place by a partition. "Unnie, do you have any drinking water left?". She asked and then went frozen as she saw Juyeon with us. Juyeon looked as surprised as she was, the tips of his ears gradually reddened and he slightly held up his hand to greet her with a "Er...Hi!".

 

"Hong Sol ah" - Taehyung half shouted and signaled Hong Sol to get closer as the music was playing so loudly in the background. - "Come here to give your oppa some justice. I can't believe Wheein-ssi thinks I'll lose to Juyeon."

 

"Geez...Taehyung-ssi" - I gave him a nudge in the elbow. Didn't he recognize that the two juniors were stunned to see each other? - "Could you please help me fetch some drinking water package to the other side of the booth while I give Hong Sol some background information about your question?"

 

Without any rejection, Taehyung shrugged with a "Fine, no problem" and obediently walked over the piles of drinking water packages. And not just Taehyung was doing the job, to get rid of the possible shyness he might be experiencing, Juyeon joined him as well. Meanwhile, I took quick steps to Hong Sol and leaned closer to her, whispering.

 

"So...Lee Juyeon..." - I intentionally lowered my voice at the next keyword - "That Pizza Guy is here. He is the number one contender for short-distance running gold medal. But your dear Taehyung oppa, who will also join the same race, is confident that he will beat Juyeonie, which I don't think so. And now, your Taehyung oppa wants to know if you have any different idea. What do you think?"

 

"Unnie" - Hong Sol muttered. She was still in a daze after the surprising encounter with her crush. - "What is all of this?"

 

"Relax, my dear" - I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and comforted her. Funny how this was what Yongsun usually did to me whenever I needed comfort or reassurance. - "Nothing to freak out. I've got your back."

 

Taehyung and Juyeon had completed the task and got back from the other side of the booth.

 

"Hong Sol ah" - Taehyung asked right away, wiping his two dusty palms onto the purple outfit, leaving grey taints which he didn't even bother. - "You won't let your oppa down right?"

 

"Between Taehyung oppa and Pizza...ah Juyeon sunbaenim..." - Hong Sol quickly corrected herself once she realized she was about to address Juyeon as Pizza-ssi. She scratched her chin and pondered. - "Well, really tough choice..."

 

Right then, Juyeon raised his voice, his first words ever since the awkward hello to Hong Sol.

 

"I have this idea. Should we make a bet?"

 

"What kind of bet?" - I asked.

 

"Whoever between me and Taehyung hyung loses..." - Juyeon spoke but his hands were busy fumbling with the water bottle he was holding. A sign of nervousness, I guessed because even Hong Sol couldn't look straight. - "... will treat the others after the event. I assume that we are all free on Saturday night?"

 

Hong Sol glanced at me, waiting for an approval. Perhaps a hangout with Juyeon was what she'd been anticipating all along but without our participation, she would not dare to make a move and agree with him right away. As if he understood the situation, Taehyung tilted his head and raised his hand towards me expecting a high five, "So, ladies?". I just shrugged. Yeah, why not?

 

***

 

Seulgi had considered resignation but if she hadn't headed up with me, I wouldn't thought of that seeing her giving her all when it came to cheering at sport event. And being her close colleague, I was pushed to stand in the front line with her while holding a big signage saying "GO TAEHYUNG GO!". Ironic? Hell yes.

 

"You can ask others to do it." - I made a face as Seulgi forced me to hold up high the signage. Of course, Seulgi had no idea about the bet and that I'd already confirmed with Taehyung my opinion about him losing to Juyeon. - "Why me?"

 

"Come on, Wheein ah." - Seulgi tied her hair into a messy bun as we were waiting for the runners to line up. - "We're all in this together. Taehyung is our last hope to snatch a last-minute victory."

 

Right, Back Office was only one gold medal behind Operations and since short-distance running was the last event of the day, this was really our last chance to claim the championship. "As if he could beat Juyeonie." I mumbled when Taehyung slowly made his way to the starting point. My Back Office colleagues, all dressed up in purple, began cheering him up with freshly made-up slogan. "Go Taehyung go" sounded the catchiest of all. Taehyung waved them with excitement in return. And it seemed like he had also recognized me with that big signage on my hands because he poked Juyeon standing right next to him and they both laughed. I sighed. What a shame!

 

The whistle blew and the race began. As predicted, Juyeon claimed the leading place only after the first few meters but what surprised everyone, including me, was that Taehyung was really the dark horse. He didn't have a good start and was a bit slower initially but as the race reached it mid point, Taehyung progressed quickly among the rank and he was now trying hard to catch up with Juyeon in the last stage of the race. The shouting and cheering got louder. And under the effect of the crowd, I found myself holding up the signage just like how Seulgi wanted, jumping around and naturally joining the chants with the other Back Office colleagues. "Go Taehyung go! Go Taehyung go! Go Taehyung go!"

 

Well, later when getting home, I have to apologize Yongsun for overusing my vocal cord.

 

"But a bet is a bet. This is all on you, oppa ah."

 

Hong Sol said as she reached out for the soju bottle and was about to pour a full glass for Taehyung but he held up his hand to stop her. As expected, Juyeon was the first to cross the finishing line. Taehyung was second. And that was just enough for three of us - me, Hong Sol and Juyeon - to get treated by Taehyung at a nearby restaurant. Except for the regular team dinner, this might be the first time I'd ever had an after-work meal with colleagues from other functions.

 

Taehyung hissed at us dramatically.

 

"I should be comforted for losing, not be exploited like this."

 

"The truth is always bitter, Taehyung-ssi..." - I pursed my lips, pretending to look all empathetic as I took a sip from my soju glass. - "We surely won't let your generosity go to waste."

 

We bursted out laughing and Taehyung did crack a genuine smile. After all, he was just faking sadness to entertain us. "I'm all used to his fake sorrow whenever he wants free coffee." Hong Sol exposed him and Taehyung quickly changed his expression into sulkiness, which had us laugh even more. Among the four, Hong Sol was quite a heavy drinker as she still look3d sober from countless shots of soju she had taken. Taehyung has allergy with alcohol so he had soda instead. Juyeon was, in contrast, not good at drinking. His face got reddened after two or three shots and he just silently observed us talking merrily about random stuff, from Fitness Day to why I and Taehyung hated Americano and even the playlist Hong Sol put on repeat everyday at the café.

 

"Juyeon sunbaenim" - Hong Sol leaned over the table a bit and waved her hand at Juyeon to check if he was still awoken. A little alcohol did help her relax a tiny bit to sit comfortably across from Juyeon. - "Are you ok? You're the one to come up with this dinner but you haven't talked much so far."

 

"Right Juyeon ah" - Taehyung chimed in playfully - "Or are you hungry? Should I just order you a pizza?"

 

Nice play, Kim Taehyung. His out of place outburst had made the two juniors awkward again. Hong Sol rolled her eyes and turned away to swallow another big gulp of soju. Juyeon just reacted weakly by punching Taehyung's arm and mouthing at him something like "Shut up hyung!" while I sighed and decided to step in for a rescue.

 

"Anyway" - I said, drumming my fingers on the table to draw their attention - "I've just realized that we haven't got a proper greeting to each other. Should we do it now?"

 

I was speaking the truth. We were chatting and having dinner with lots of fun, but technically, we only knew each other via acquaintances, without any proper introduction among the four. Yet considering that we were quite compatible up to this point, I believed befriending with them was something I should do if I wanted to take another step away from my comfort zone. So well, it was not quite a rescue but doing a favour for me. Something that even the nagging Hyojin would give me a thumb up to.

 

"Cool idea, Wheein-ssi." - Taehyung was the first to respond me. He held out his soda can to the air and looked at each person respectively. - "Gathering here today must be... fate, right? Let's at least be friends from now on, not just knowing each other by name anymore."

 

That was exactly what I thought. I smiled at Taehyung, amusing. As if he could read my mind.

 

"Then I'll go first." - I poured a full glass of soju and joined Taehyung - "Jung Wheein, People Experience department, FM the 9th Hour."

 

"Kim Taehyung. Product Management. Anti-Americano and second finisher in running."

 

Hong Sol quickly joined us with her own soju glass and a bright smile.

 

"Kwon Hong Sol. Undergraduate but looking forward to becoming your colleagues soon. And I'm not an anti-Americano like you two, Wheein unnie and Taehyung oppa."

 

And finally it was the untalkative Juyeon.

 

"Lee Juyeon. Operations. Glad to know you all, Taehyung hyung, Wheein noona and... Hong Sol. Let's... well... comfortably speak to each other, yeah?"

 

I and Taehyung exchanged a brief look and we then grinned from ear to ear as an approval. We toasted once more. But this time, the four of us had officially become friends.

 

***

 

It turned out that today I was not taking subway home alone. Taehyung also traveled on the same line as me, he just got off two stations before me - I just wondered why I hadn't seen him on the countless times taking subway home. And finally today, I had the chance to listen to the whole story about why he'd got to spill out the little "secret" between Juyeon and Hong Sol. Actually, Taehyung witnessed their incident as it happened right before his first training session with Juyeon a few months ago and he was also the one to listen to all rambling from Juyeon about how frustrated he was for not being able to get over the shyness.

 

"I also had to watch them kids pretending around at the café. It's really a pain in the eyes. So you see..." - He stretches his arms to the above and exhaled with relief - "...writing the story is all for my selfish self. And your show, too."

 

"I just hope we'd done the right thing." - I purposefully ignored his scornful words and showed him the message I got from Hong Sol telling that she was waiting for the bus with Juyeon - "Don't they look cute together?"

 

Right then, I heard someone calling my name from the other side of the train.

 

"Hey Jung Wheein!"

 

I looked up from my phone to see Byul Yi hastily making her way towards me, looking all exhausted. She must be coming home after finishing the demo recording at the studio with her producing team.

 

"Unnie! Over here!"

 

I happily waved at her but suddenly was responded with a hostile glare from Byul Yi as she got nearer. In fact, that glare was not for me. It was directed at Taehyung, who peeked his head out from the seat next to me.

 

"Taehyung?" - Byul Yi asked doubtfully - "You're Taehyung, Kim Seokjin's housemate right?"

 

"Er...Moon...byul...noonim?"

 

Taehyung slowly rose up from his seat stuttering, which even confused me more about this happening. It was also quite strange that Taehyung addressed Byul Yi formally and used her pen name instead. And if I was not wrong, the Kim Seokjin that Byul Yi mentioned was one of her fellows in the music producing team, who once borrowed her money but hadn't repaid, even though he was later on revealed to be living a wealthy life. Clenching my teeth, I suddenly felt shiver running along my spine as Moon Byul Yi - the second eldest of the Mamamoo girls - was looking all unwelcoming.

 

What could be worse than that my new friend was associated with my housemate's bad experience?