Turning Point

The Sound of Heart

A three hour meeting wasn't a pleasure at all. 

 

Especially when its purpose was to implement a makeshift plan to replace Seulgi. 

 

And one of its output was that I would handle a rather big part in Seulgi's list of responsibilities, which was to take care of staff engagement activities. 

 

The rationale was, according to our director, that FM The 9th Hour was already part of those activities. Therefore, I literally expanded my scope of work without changing work nature. 

 

I knew it was just temporary before the director came up with a restructuring plan - only a week left before new year and Seulgi would start her notice period right away, without any negotiation - but taking care for such a big task in an undefined period of time posed as an enormous challenge to me. 

 

Much less I didn't possess the necessary traits nor experience to do it well like Seulgi. 

 

  “It is getting colder during the very last days of the year. I hope you guys Purple Line citizens get dressed warm enough when commuting to work. Just so you know, our Hot Pack corner is open 24/7 so that you can get a hot pack for yourself whenever needed. But warming your body is just a part, don't forget to warm your heart by sharing stories with your colleagues, reviewing the last year, recounting the achievements to look forward to the next year.”

 

I pressed the Save button and leaned back, sighing. An hour after the meeting, that was all I could come up for this week's show. Plain words without emotion. 

 

If Taehyung was here, he would suggest adding a funny comment here or a pun there to make it more appealing. 

 

Yet since that “dreadful” Christmas day, I had not have the nerve to get in touch again with him. 

 

   “I'm not pushing you but I'm not taking back those words either. I'll wait.” 

 

He had been back to the straightforward Taehyung I'd known. Those words from his message coming later that day still rang in my ears, only adding more weights to this already heavy heart of mine.

 

Yongsun advised me to be frank. 

 

   “If you can't just give him your heart just yet, you'd better tell him.” 

 

She said so and I agreed. For the sake of agreeing on something. 

 

But would he stop befriending me if I was honest that I didn't think of him as a guy at this time? 

 

Deep inside I hope not.

 

   “I'm the leaving one, why are you the sad one?”

 

Seulgi asked me as she opened her rice box. If she hadn't come downstairs to find me, I would have forgot lunch time. I had been having lunch with Seulgi lately as she started to bring her meal instead of eating out. 

 

Seulgi made rice balls for us today: with stir-fried beef, with tuna and with kimchi cheese. This must be a lunch recommendation from Hyojin as I remembered having the same dish with him not long before. 

 

I wore the plastic glove and said as I picked the tuna ball.

 

   “You're transfering burden to me, unnie.”

 

   “I'm sorry.”

 

She said with a matter-of-fact voice. Seulgi finally decided to stop with Purple Line. That Christmas Night hit her quite hard, to the extent that it dawned on her that she needed to make a decision with her life. Otherwise, she would keep running back and forth unconsciously at work, just like how pathetic she was running between Hyojin's and Jimin's bed at the hospital, and finally got herself in the trap of procrastination.

 

I wondered if an incident could be such a turning point but compared to the hesitant and overthinking Seulgi I met before Christmas, she had been back to the bold, confident and determined Seulgi I had been looking up to.

 

   “Geez. . . Just joking” - I gleefully stuck out my tongue. - “Hyojin oppa  must be glad to see such determination in you, unnie.”

 

   “Have you told Hyojin-ssi just yet?”

 

   “Go tell him yourself. I guess your Christmas date still needs a better ending, yeah?”

 

   “Ya” - Seulgi held up her fist towards me, stuffed with rice as she spoke. “What date? It was just a drink.”

 

   “Okay whatsoever.” - I pouted - “Rumour has it that he's just invited you over the upcoming Fairytale Night, eh?”

 

   “Just as a volunteer. . .”

 

I shrugged sassily and interrupted her, suddenly acknowledged why Hyejin had so much fun teasing me about Taehyung back then.

 

   “Why bothering to justify?”

 

   “You'd better behave, Jung Wheein.” - Seulgi frowned as she swallowed - “But honestly, let's put Hyojin-ssi aside. How do you feel about the next move?”

 

I stopped laughing and found myself pursing my lips tightly. It was quite difficult to describe my feeling, which had been quite a mess since Christmas Eve. But with the new responsibility added to my job description, I was pretty sure that anxiety occupied for the majority of emotion in me.

 

   “I'm not expecting it at all and. . .” - I mumbled, my two shoulders sagged. - “Yeah, I'm not confident, either. Because you've done it so well.”

 

   “It's ok to worry. I did so when I first started the role. But. . .” - Seulgi smiled - “Just try it out and be positive about changes. It's not that you can't do it. You just haven't done it yet.”

 

Seulgi ended her mini motivational speech by patting my shoulder. Then she even added a money hand gesture, winking.

 

   “Also isn't it good to get a bit more money on your payslip?”

 

I let out a scoffing laugh. Seulgi surely knew how to have fun now. Somehow I was glad that Seulgi found herself a solution, although it meant farewell to being colleagues of each other.

 

   “I'll help you get to know the job.” - Seulgi assured me as we cleaned up the table. - “No, actually you can ask me anytime. This is to thank you for always standing with me through this hardship.”

 

○●○

 

“Letting go or saying goodbye, though temporary or for long, is something we all don't want to happen. But some farewells open the door to new opportunities to the leaving and the staying ones. What matters is how we cherish the memories and the chances. To my friend called Pup who is facing new challenge after a farewell, it's time you step out and show 'em what you've got.”

 

I turned up the volume for Step by Kara, a song dated back to a decade ago but still sounded trendy, and suddenly found myself smiling. When I wrote the script, I had to push back the urge to ask Seulgi if she was behind this request. And if it was directed at me. But Seulgi had just denied that theory herself. “What the hell, you're sending yourself a song?” Well, she could've texted me so to lead me astray but she had no reason not to be genuine either. 

 

Who else could know my nickname and even the change happening to me?

 

That question had lingered in my thought since I received the request up til the moment I said goodbye to the audience and bumped into Park Jimin at the water distiller on the way back to my station.

 

   “Hey, how are you doing?”, asked Jimin casually. 

 

   “All good, I guess.” - I laughed, pressing the hot water button.

 

   “I heard you would take over Seulgi's job.”

 

   “News travels quite fast huh?” - I shrugged - “Just a part.”

 

   “Still tough.” He raised one eyebrow, smiling. - “I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.”

 

   “I can't say anything at this point though. But thank you for the wish.”

 

I slightly bowed to him and started making way to my seat. But Jimin still walked next to me, asking.

 

   “Right, are you going to be at Pyeonghwa this weekend?”

 

I nodded in confirmation as Jimin excitedly informed.

 

   “I will come, too. Really want to see what Hyojin hyung has in place this time. The last exhibition was so cool.”

 

Jimin's words reminded me that his dad had become one of the sponsors for Pyeonghwa after the pitching day. Therefore, it was not strange at all for Jimin to appear at the upcoming Fairytale Night. But with Seulgi also being invited over there, would there be any inconvenience somehow?

 

As if concern was clearly expressed on my face, Jimin cracked a knowing laugh.

 

   “What's on your mind, Wheein-ssi? You look worried.”

 

   “Nope” - I shook my head continously in denial - “Nothing.”

 

Lucky for me, I had arrived at my station. Pulling a quick smile to say goodbye, I told Jimin.

 

   “So, I'll meet you on Sunday, eh?”

 

Jimin nodded. But before I could take a step aside, he cleared his throat and quickly said.

 

   “I'm not sure if this is what you're worried about now. But people don't need to end a relationship in a dramatic way. Once our mindsets are too different to align, it will be a struggle to continue our relationship.” 

 

I was taken aback. He was right about my concern. 

 

   “Why are you telling me that?”

 

I questioned, turning to face him. Jimin just shrugged.

 

   “It's just. . . You've always cared for her, haven't you? But I think you can rest assured about her . . .now that she's made her decision. Also I and Seulgi are cool about our current situation.” 

 

I felt stunned. I had no idea what went on between Jimin and Seulgi on that Christmas Eve. But it seemed to me that they both experienced a turning point then, where they accepted that the difference couldn't be bridged and hence, decided to give up on it for better opportunities. 

 

Many said that the key to healthy relationship was empathy and willingness to embrace difference. But not many advised what to do if the difference was significant. I envied them to be mature at this point.

 

They were brave.

 

   “I'm glad you guys worked it out.”

 

I finally get my voice back and was replied with a shrug from Jimin. 

 

   “Me too. Though it's quite unfortunate, to be honest.”

 

   “Time will tell.”

 

We both shared a laugh. Of all the people in this company, Jimin could be the least likely to have a conversation with me. I had never expected Jimin to explain their situation for me, for I was just an outside observer. But now that he had actively clarified, I also appreciated them for acknowledging my care.

 

Jimin quickly glanced at his Apple watch before looking up at me.

 

   “I'm no longer in the place to say this but thank you for always being by Seulgi's side, Wheein-ssi.” 

 

   “Geez” - I waved my hands, pouting - “I just played the good friend role.”

 

   “Wow” - Jimin exclaimed in a exaggerating way, which all of the sudden reminded me of the similar reaction from Taehyung whenever he wanted to pull a joke. - “Then you're an amazing actress, eh? You played the role so well that some people even got worried that you might struggle when Seulgi left.”

 

Jimin said and immediately, he jolted with a big gasp, covering his mouth. His action alerted me that he must have done something he wasn't supposed to do.

 

   “Jimin-ssi” - I took a step forward, hands drumming on the nearby partition. - “You'd better not hide anything about me from me.”

 

Jimin rolled his eyes. 

 

   “Come on” - I urged, feeling a mixed wave of impatience and anxiety surge through my mind.

 

   “Fine.” - Jimin sighed and spoke hesitantly. - “Sooner or later you should know about it anyway.”

 

   “Huh?”

 

   “It's Taehyungie and Hyojin hyung” - Jimin crossed his arms, explaining - “We had some, you know, bro hangouts and I could see they both were worried about you. And yeah, I actually suggested sending you some motivation but I didn't expect Taehyung to send that song request. He even rewrote my lines.”

 

Jimin then made a disappointing expression to the fact that Taehyung literally plagiarized his previous request for Seulgi. But I didn't care. 

 

Because it had been confirmed that Step was requested for me. 

 

And by no other than Kim Taehyung.

 

I appreciated his effort. But why does he have to make it even more complicated for me to set the right mindset about what's between us?