Boys

The Sound of Heart

"So she isn't Hyojin's girlfriend?"

 

"Yeah, Seulgi is his new coachee. And my colleague."

 

"Ok. That makes more sense to me now. . . "

 

Yongsun swept her hair to a side and blew at the hot ramyeon as she replied me half-jokingly. We accidentally bumped into each other at the convenient store near our house and decided to have instant ramyeon for dinner instead of getting ourselves suffered from the cooking task. Yongsun took this chance to question me a lot about "the girl who looked quite lovey dovey with Hyojin". She was clearly curious, but I somehow turned her off by denying that Seulgi was his new girlfriend.

 

"She had some problems with career and I thought Hyojin could be helpful." - I went on explaining, slurping the steamy ramyeon. - "He needs more coaching hours for the certification anyway."

 

"But are coaching sessions supposed to be at anywhere, even a cooking studio?"

 

Yongsun asked with a smile. The four of us Mamamoo girls all had dimples but our dimples were completely different from each other. My dimples peeked out from the center of my cheeks while Hyejin had long dimples. Yongsun, on another hand, had them at corners and it was upper cheek dimples for Byulyi. Usually Yongsun's dimples would give off cuteness and sweetness but at this time, I suddenly felt like she looked a bit sly. I shrugged half-heartedly and copied Hyojin's words so well.

 

"I don't know. Coaching is confidential and private anyway."

 

Yongsun didn't reply me just yet. She leisurely finished the last bit of her bowl, her teeth gritting as she enjoyed the lingering spiciness. The way Yongsun savoring food could make people feel the tastiness of the dish, I must admit. Putting the two chopsticks into an X across the bowl, she leaned back and opened a can of beer which we agreed to be the best refreshment in this cool weather.

 

"But aren't you jealous?"

 

She asked and I snorted in disbelief. What the heck is on her mind, making her to spit out that question all of the sudden?

 

"Why should I?"

 

"Because Hyojin is like. . . your best guy friend?"

 

"So what? And Seulgi is my close colleague. . ."

 

"Come on Wheeinie. . . You really want me to knock some sense to you?"

 

I eventually burst out laughing. Yeah, i knew what she meant. The photo she sent brought me mixed feelings: excitement, satisfaction, lots of curiosity and even a little jealousy for Seulgi's easily getting the attention she wanted. But after all, Seulgi being comfortable around Hyojin and them starting to know each other more was what I had been looking forward to from the start. So, I had no reason to be jealous at all.

 

"Nah, you're getting tipsy already unnie. Let's go home."

 

I nagged and stood up, trying to brush aside any possible interrogation from her. But Yongsun suddenly put on her black Judge's hat as her voice turned serious and she hunched towards me.

 

"Honestly, I'm super duper curious, Wheein ah" - She emphasized - "Don't you have any feeling for Hyojin?"

 

Oh here she went again. I regretted having admitted with her a long time ago that I once had a crush on Hyojin. When I started working at Pyeonghwa, Hyojin did help me out a lot by spending time teaching me sign language and giving me advice on overcoming anxiety. His kindness always made me feel comfortable and secure, which I just couldn't ask for more from a guy. Oh and he did try teaching me to cook but I was such a failure! Hyojin treated me so warmly that I even fantasized my boyfriend to be like him. The "be like him" phrase should be underlined and highlighted because he was dating someone back then and I didn't dare to make a move. That hesitation lasted long enough for me to eventually get used with him being my brother and only looked up to him with admiration instead of any romantic feeling. And now that he had been single for a while, I still wanted him to be my "go-to oppa".

 

"Unnie" - I huffed, clearly grimacing at her. - "I told you, it was just a crush. If I liked him, I should have dated him anytime during the last 5 years. But see, I am not any of his girlfriends so far."

 

And I even introduced Seulgi to Hyojin for the possibility that they could end up dating someday. But of course, I had to keep that little secret to me. What mattered now was that I didn't control my emotion so well and it somehow stunned Yongsun, not having expected I would be so passive aggressive like this. She nodded her head continously and picked up the leftover as she spoke to me with the voice she usually used whenever trying to comfort me.

 

"Ok. I got it. But no matter what. . ." - She lowered her voice - "Be sweet to Hyojin, yeah? He's meant a lot to you."

 

"Geez" - I also collected the leftovers from my side, softened my voice as I felt a bit sorry for almost getting angry with Yongsun for nothing. - "You don't need to remind me. I'll always do."

 

We then walked home and of all the trivial stories we exchanged, Yongsun brought up the rumor about robbery in the neighborhood near my office. There had been a few cases in which the victims were all female. They were followed and then got their purses or bags harshly stripped off as they were on the way to the station alone. Police was reported to have dispatched a team to investigate but until the robber was arrested, the danger was still out there.

 

Yongsun, with the Judge's hat not yet being taken down, therefore kept on reminding me to be careful, especially on days I had to go home late like today. She suggested that I try to leave the office early or at least have someone to go with me instead of going alone to the station. I agreed with her first option but at the same time, trying not to spill a related little incident happening before I bumped into her tonight.

 

"Hey, home already? Haven't heard from you."

 

The first thing I did right after hanging my bag onto the hanger at the back of the door and sitting down at the dressing table for makeup removal was to check my phone. And as expected, there was already message from Taehyung.

 

"Sorry, caught up in dinner with my sister. Anyway, home already. And totally safe."

 

I sent Taehyung a Thank you emoji and then a laughing one. Not that I found something funny to share a laugh, I wanted to cover up my embarrassment with him.

 

So basically, not until Yongsun reminded me had I already acknowledged of the recent robbery in the neighborhood of my office. But I didn't expected that today I had to stay at the office late and walked home on that route, feeling all scared and nervous as the street leading to the station was quite deserted at 10pm. And the moment I turned into an even smaller alley, the sound of strange footsteps caught my ears and it got closer. Without hesitation, I held tight on the strap of my bag and started running. Fleeing was obviously the optimal choice for me then. Yet the footsteps quickly outpaced me. Then came a hand grabbing on my shoulder to stop me. Despite being overwhelmed with anxiety, I gathered all my strength and courage to turn around, fling my bag as hard as I could into that person. No matter who you are, you've messed with the wrong person!

 

But as that person cursed with a familiar husky voice ", Jung Wheein. It's me!", I got horrified and then quickly turned embarrassed. Not any robber, it was Taehyung, cupping his face and wincing at me, his right cheek reddened as the result from my attack.

 

"How's your face, eh?"

 

"A bit swollen but ice bag helped."

 

"Sorry for that. I mistook you with the rumored robber."

 

"Erm. . . Can't blame you. I should have caught up with you right from the office."

 

"Anyway, I'm glad it was you. . ."

 

"Better hit someone you know rather than getting arrested for attacking people, huh?"

 

Taehyung joked and I almost choked on my laugh. Yeah, lucky that it was him to be there, accompany me to the station and keeping on checking if I was OK as we were on the train. Had I not insisted against, he would have even escorted me home.

 

"Yeah, I guess a free sweet purple potato drink is enough to make up for that, don't you think so?"

 

"No Wheein-ssi. Should be at least a week to compensate for the damage to this handsome face."

 

There again he had me chuckle with a Taehyung-trademarked joke.

 

"But later on, tell me if you foresee you'll be home late. I'll accompany you, at least to the station, ok? We take the same train anyway."

 

"Er. . . That might bother you though. . ."

 

"Geez. I don't mind."

 

And without giving me the chance to oppose, Taehyung quickly sent another text.

 

"Ok, agreement settled. I'm going to bed now. See you tomorrow."

 

I stared at Taehyung's message and eventually found myself smirk at it. That guy, he just finalized everything himself as if I would totally agree with him. It was so Taehyung, wasn't it?

 

But damn, why do I suddenly feel like deja vu happening? Taehyung just sounded exactly like Hyojin years ago. Back to when Hyojin learnt that I went home by bus, whose station was much farther than the subway station across the street where Pyeonghwa's main gate was located, he insisted on accompanying me there. It then became his habit to take a walk with me and look for something to eat on the way to the station everytime I had been to Pyeonghwa, including my latest personal visit!

 

Is it a norm for guys to offer their female friends accompaniment to stations?

 

I had no idea about that.

 

And I had no idea why I replied Taehyung later, compromising on the compensation for him, either.

 

"Whatever. But by the way, one week of drink is too much time. How about me going to the music camp instead?"

 

***
Please like and let me know what you think about this update. Thank you! XOXO!