People Do Care

The Sound of Heart

I returned to work on Friday. The company atmosphere was still hustling as usual but among the hectic vibe of this open office, I settled my work station in a quiet corner where I could watch people moving around. Since the office move, Purple Line had adopted the hot-desking and flexible workspace concept instead of the traditional cubicles as a means to convey the message about open and dynamic workplace. Staff therefore were not assigned to fixed seat - they would be provided with a box to store their personal belongings. And every morning, the first thing they do coming to the office was to make a visit to the locker room, take out that box and choose any available seat they want to be their #sotd or "Seat Of The Day".

 

I, on the other hand, just went against the norm. I did follow the routine to get my stuff from the locker, yet I had set my eyes on a fixed place - which was also where I was sitting at - and stuck with it since the beginning. I didn't care about the changing seat option. And it seemed like nobody cared or had any complaint about my little "rebellion".

 

Perhaps they were just too busy to even notice me.

 

But it turned out that I was wrong. People did pay attention to me, especially due to my absence for nearly a week and that the news about me being unable to do DJ job in the next 2 weeks travelled really fast thanks to Seulgi. I received a chocolate bar from a Finance intern, who usually passed by my work station to her department's meeting room; a quick check-in from a senior who often gave positive reactions to my radio-related posts on the company platform; and a lot of messages on Microsoft Teams wishing me to get well soon from many other colleagues in different branches nationwide, who tuned in to the livestreaming channel every Friday for my show. Those little kind things they did really gave me warmth and did lift up my mood, helping me rest assured that there might be no way they would turn their back on me despite my two week hiatus. Well except for the dropping number of requests submitted - That was obviously my top priority to-do for the show!

 

A paper cup of steamy hot coffee landed in front of me. The writing on the cup said "Get well soon, MC unnie!", reminding me of Hong Sol who usually scribbled on paper cups - something she had adopted to deliver a Starbuck-like experience at the Purple Line Cafe.

 

"Noona. Are you feeling better now?"

 

I looked up and realized Lee Juyeon was the one to fetch me the coffee. He is wearing casual clothes - white T-shirt with dark blue jeans - as Friday was also the no dress code day in the company. The boy really knew how to shine only with plain clothes. Taking my delay of response a sign of confusion, Juyeon broke into a coy smile.

 

"Hong Sol asked me to bring you this. She said it's to welcome you back to work."

 

My eyes widened. Why all of the sudden came the connection between them two on the broadcasting day?

 

"Thank you, Juyeon ah." - I smiled back at him and then, decided to probe a little more by casually explaining for my confusion earlier. - "I didn't know you are close to Hong Sol. Please tell her I appreciate it a lot."

 

"Nope, we aren't close." - Juyeon shrugged and sat down. He had settled his personal belonging box at the station across from me. - "She just happens to ask me a favor. She doesn't even know my name."

 

"Does she? So how would she address you?"

 

"Well...She has her own way to call me."

 

"Wow..." - I exclaimed, meaning to but I knew Juyeon usually did not mind being coupled up with other girls who were relatively the same age as him in the organization. He somehow had grown up getting used to it. - "What's with both of you, Lee Juyeon? I smell something here."

 

"Ugh" - Juyeon made a nearly inaudible growl - "You're making fun of me, noona ah."

 

Juyeon slightly scratched the back of his head. He was being shy. As he then diverted his look to the computer screen and typed the login password, I spotted his smile. Faint but with happiness.

 

, I suddenly felt like spilling this to Taehyung. There must be something going on that Juyeon couldn't help being happy about. And it was connected to Hong Sol. Now I really truly wanted to gossip, and who else was a better choice than the one who had "enlightened" me with his conspiracy theories about them two?

 

But my partner was nowhere to be seen.

 

Our office was a 4-storey building with the ground floor to be meeting rooms and the café where Hong Sol was working at. The first and second floor were working areas while the third floor was a combination of pantry, townhall and training rooms. Taehyung originally was not on the same floor as me, but he had been silent on all communication channels ever since that call on Tuesday. I did carefully check my inbox but except for a short "Thank you" to my reply with the revised script, he had not been in contact again.

 

Was there enough empathy and integrity in what I told him the other day? Or was it just bitter fact that I mercilessly threw at him and then hurt his pride?

 

Or was it because I didn't keep the conversation with him? I should've at least notified him of the completed recording and asked for his opinion as he is now my partner - Hyejin said she would do that if she was me. Because that would initiate the talk to explore more about the story he wrote - which also drew the attention from all of them, Hyejin, Yongsun and even Byulyi. I was curious, too. I was just too afraid to speak to him, though.

 

But what's about now? If I didn't take the initiative, I sadly had to keep my sudden urge for gossiping to myself.

 

***

 

Another person who welcomed me back to work was Seulgi. After being rotated to another department in the division, she had moved to third floor. Plus the tight schedule full of meetings even from the early morning, Seulgi could only text me on Microsoft Teams. But that was is just enough for me as Seulgi still sounded positive, much better than she was on Monday.

 

"Our little Wheeinie, Glad to see you back, all bright and healthy."

 

"Thank you unnie. Let's have lunch together today. I'll definitely wait for you to finish all your meetings! "

 

"Okey dokey. By the way, has the director called you?"

 

The restructuring of which Seulgi's rotation was a part did have effect on my role, though not much significantly. According to the official announcement from the division director, I would be in charge 100% for the radio program and take over Seulgi's past responsibilities with it. It meant that I wouldn't have information delivered to me; instead, I had to take the lead to work with departments to ensure the program satisfies the demand - which was continuously changing - from the company. And therefore, I needed to be more open for better efficiency, that was what the division director told me at the call last Wednesday when I was discharged from the hospital.

 

"Yes. We talked on Wednesday."

 

"Cool. Try to be more proactive from now on."

 

"I'll bear that in mind, unnie."

 

"And make full use of Taehyung. He's such an enthusiastic guy."

 

"I know. But unnie, are you still ok? We haven't talked properly about what you said on Monday..."

 

I thought she would divert the topic or told me to meet her somewhere for sharing. But being the super busy Seulgi, she could only keep texting me, revealing her opinion piece by piece. Due to the restructuring, Seulgi had been rotated and no longer worked with the manager she appreciated a lot. She thought the company was trying to manage her out by putting her in a difficult situation. Additionally, some other companies had approached her for better offer and opportunities, leading Seulgi to the thought of resignation.

 

What was bothering her was she still couldn't visualize how her next step should be as she had been at Purple Line ever since her university graduation.

 

"And I have just broken up with Jimin-ssi."

 

It was her final message. And I was just speechless with it. That was the real insider news. Too hot to handle.

 

Park Jimin and Kang Seulgi both joined the company as part of PLGP - Purple Line Graduate Program - and quickly rose to the center of attention for their high quality in terms of both technical skills and characteristics. They became close through the many activities of the program and friendship turned into mutual affection 2 years ago. Being in a relationship, what usually worried Seulgi was that Jimin, working in the commercial division, might be a little too flirty and if he didn't behave the way he should, she would be much more afraid of being cheated on.

 

Well, I must say that their relationship lacked trust but never expected that they would put an end to it without sorting it out together. Or they did but it didn't work? I was not sure. What I was sure was that it would be extremely awkward when they faced each other afterwards, not to mention their departments worked quite closely. Therefore, it was no doubt that Seulgi wanted to leave for good. Jimin wouldn't leave Purple Line very soon, he'd still got lots of opportunity here.

 

"I'm sorry, unnie."

 

That was the only thing I could say to Seulgi. I shouldn't dive into it anymore. It was way too personal.

 

"Well, that would come anyway. You know why."

 

I smirked at the screen. I was just doing my guesswork.

 

"Should we drink after work to let go all of this? Right, let's make it tonight."

 

"Next week is better. I have to organize the Fitness Day tomorrow morning, don't you remember?"

 

"Okay, call. I'll set up everything for you."

 

I sent her a long line of hearts and other funny emoticons, to which Seulgi reacted with a ROLF meme. Going through all of those challenges was tough. But Kang Seulgi was the big girl and big girls didn't cry. They took action - I believed so.