Starlight Moonlight

The Sound of Heart

"Come on Wheein-ssi. Just a few more step."

 

". Why do I have to endure all of thissssss???"

 

I shrieked, grimaced, plopped down on the ground and ultimately, used all my strengths to lift my legs as Taehyung laughed hysterically watching me being totally a drama queen. A few people passing by looked at us smiling. They must find my struggle to complete the stairways to the stargazing site funny.

 

Ok, that was really a big mistake to follow Taehyung here to validate his claim that this is the best stargazing site in the city as I had to go up this stairway, which turned out to be a huge challenge for me. The only lucky thing was my flat Oxford shoes, I guess.

 

"I thought it was easy for you. You were strong enough to carry all those heavy electrolyte drink packages, weren't you?"

 

Taehyung acted all innocently as I finally reached the final step, bending down and gasping for air. He was holding a plastic bag with beer and soft drinks we picked up at a nearby convenience store and showing his biggest smile ever.

 

"Oh please just shut up!"

 

I grunted at him but he just went on with a relaxing sigh, totally ignoring my not-so-nice words.

 

"Ok. At least we're here. Let's enjoy."

 

I finally stood straight up and wiped a few sweaty strands of hair off my forehead. At that moment, I realized how beautiful the world around me had become.

 

We walked past the pavilion to an upper area where someone had purposefully installed a marble bench and turned this spot into a stopover. From this spot, I could see the buildings down below, brightly lit in colors. But what's amazing was the atmosphere. We were at a rather high altitude that I could feel the chilling night breeze caressing my face and ruffle my hair. Oh and there was the fresh air, the peaceful surroundings and the clear sky of a late summer night with millions of twinkling stars. I was not exaggerating but everything looked like the classic Van Gogh's Starry Night painting being brought to life. This astonishing sight also reminded me of my younger days in my hometown, when I and Hyejin usually sneaked out of the study academy for snack and we would lie down on the wooden lounge outside the grocery store, gazing at the many stars, wishing to see a meteor and crackling up at each other's gibberish. Years passed and now it was really difficult to find such peace among this bustling city. Well, until today.

 

"So, best place in town, do you agree?"

 

Breaking the silence, Taehyung handed me an opened can of cold beer. I received with a thank and decided to a bit, almost forgetting all the hardship I had been through previously - after all, the view was worth the effort, wasn't it?

 

"Well, are you sure those aren't artificial satellites?"

 

"Geez" - Taehyung's nose wrinkled as he sniffed. - "You really at joking, Wheein-ssi."

 

"Yeah and you're the best, huh?"

 

I pouted teasingly and Taehyung just shrugged in response, taking my words as if it was a fact or even a compliment to him. That was so expectant from him anyway - Hah!

 

"Anyway" - I raised my beer to him - "Congrats on completing your first radio show, V-ssi!"

 

"Nice!" - Taehyung toasted with his soda and a big grin because I still remembered to address him as V when it came to the show. - "Please support me, Wheein-ssi."

 

And we just sat there, on the marble bench overlooking the whole neighbourhood below, drinking and enjoying the view. Then Taehyung pulled out his phone and made a few swipes to find something on his media player as he told me.

 

"Whenever I go up here, I usually play this song. Wanna hear?"

 

I nodded. What's even more suitable than some nice music to compliment the view? Taehyung pressed Play and it only took me a few seconds after the song started to exclaim.

 

"Oh gosh, it's my favorite!"

 

I unconsciously shook his left arm in excitement and my unusual reaction did surprise him, to the extent that he almost dropped his phone. He should know that he had just simply played the song that popped up in my head as soon as I got here. Being motivated with a little alcohol, I, without any hesitation or embarrassment, belted my voice to the melody, a bit lagging for I hadn't sung this song for a while.

 

"One summer night
The stars were shining bright
One summer dream
Made with fancy whims
That summer night
My whole world tumbled down
I could have died
If not for you"

 

"I didn't expect you know such an old song." - Taehyung said as the song passed its first chorus and I happily drank the last drops of my beer. - "And yeah...you've got a nice voice."

 

"Thanks. I didnt expect you know it, too."

 

"It's sad but beautiful, right?"

 

"And it just suits this view" - I agreed with him. - "Summer night, bright star, being alone here, all those stuff. . ."

 

"Nah, you're not here by yourself."

 

He corrected me and we both cracked up at my misused words. But even though I wasn't here by myself, this One Summer Night song was really a nice addition to the scene and once again, Taehyung successfully surprised me. This time, in an adorable way.

 

"Hey, I just wonder..." - I asked him out of curiosity as soon as the song completed and it was the cheesy Starlight Moonlight by Secret to come next. "...Why did you sign up for the show?"

 

"For fun, I guess." said Taehyung, with a bit sarcasm. "And I thought it'd be easy."

 

I chuckled. As if I was recruited for the company's generosity.

 

"And how much fun and easy so far?"

 

"Well, nothing is easy when you put importance to it, right?"

 

He replied me with a question - more like a rhetorical one for I didn't know what he meant nor how to answer it. But he made a point - as long as you deem something important to do, you will never find it easy to complete as you tend to expect it to be perfectly executed.

 

"So I guess I have to thank you... again? For helping out with an important task?"

 

I slightly nudged him and covered my laugh with the can of beer. He just leaned back to look at the sky comfortably and replied with an exhaling laugh.

"I didn't mean so but if you do... You're welcome."

 

And before I could even answer him, my phone buzzed. Hyojin had just texted me. "Just finished work. I'm on my way."

 

"Gotta go now?"

 

Having not heard a response from me, Taehyung turned to me asking with a hint of disappointment in his voice. I tucked my hair behind my ears as the wind was getting a bit stronger and put the phone back to my pocket after quickly texting back Hyojin.

 

"Yup." - I nodded - "My friend is on the way."

 

"Okay. So we'll get moving." - Taehyung hunched over to collect the empty cans we left on the ground, put them into the plastic bag and forcefully tied its handles into a knot - "But are you sure you can navigate around this area without a local guide?"

 

"Nah, I've got GPS, and Naver Map and. . ."

 

"Good." - He hastily interjected me, as if he didn't even want to hear the rest. - "Let's go."

 

***

 

Hyojin and Seulgi turned out to have a lot of things in common despite their different backgrounds. But knowing Seulgi, I didn't consider their continous chattering a sign of her trust in Hyojin from the beginning. She was just playing it safe by displaying her well-known personal branding: the easy-going, sociable and charming Seulgi. Hyojin, meanwhile, also had his professional mode switched on as he listened to Seulgi all-ear and responded her with his best Duchenne smile. I would be totally fine if they were flirting with each other although this wasn't supposed to be a blind date. But having expected a friendly dinner, I felt a bit uncomfortable and awkward as Seulgi and Hyojin shared their stories of, well, working at NGOs since they both had a long time experiencing such environment. I also got to know a few stuff about what Hyojin had been working on lately, which I had planned to ask him afterwards. But excuse me, wasn't there any better topic to talk about except for professional ones?

 

I let out an inaudible sniff and just chewed a piece of chewy gopchang, trying not to accidentally show any sign of boredom. Secretly darting my eyes to the surrounding, I felt my heart sink a bit. I was back to the real world, where buildings blocked all the view and there was no longer the twinkling sky or the peaceful, airy atmosphere that I had so much fun enjoying an hour ago. What's interesting was, I had never expected someone like Taehyung to show me such place. I mean, he would prefer upbeat and more dynamic things to going stargazing.

 

After the dinner, Hyojin accompanied me to the subway station while Seulgi drove home herself. We slowly made our way to the station as Hyojin expressed his surprise at Seulgi, in addition to being such a cool person, wanting him to help her instead of seeking for help from her wide network. "Perhaps someone outside the industry like you would be more objective." That was my explanation, not that she might feel insecure of exposing her flaws to those she knew. And Hyojin looked convinced, at least judging from his expression and that he didn't question anything else.

 

It was Friday night so the street were crowded with people, either wandering around or stopping at a streetside performances. There were also pranksters, who disguised as normal people and had their cameras always on to pull out some jokes or pranks on pedestrians passing by. We were caught on camera once, being mistaken as a couple when the prankster insisted on Hyojin holding my hand so that we looked more lovey-dovey together. Of course, both of us denied being a couple and dashed away from the pranksters as quick as possible.

 

"Lame joke, isn't it?" - I turned my head to catch a glimpse of the pranksters. It looked like the joke went on with many other couples. What's different was that the real couples did held hands when being told so. - "Imagine your other half saw this, she would misunderstand us. Such a disaster."

 

"Of course it is." - Hyojin agreed as we stopped at the platform entrance and I started to dig for the transportation card hidden somewhere in my bag. - "But that disaster would take long to happen to us, though."

 

"Oops" - I covered my mouth, pretending to be surprised - "I thought you might be seeing someone lately, yeah?"

 

"Geez" - He casually ruffled my hair teasingly. - "Who would do all the job for me then?"

 

Right, Hyojin had dated a few times but none of the relationships lasted long. And now it seemed like he had given up on dating to focus on his career progression instead. I didn't know why he didn't bother dating someone - it is a good thing anyway, except for that you just want to be all alone like I do - for dating or relationship was not a common topic between me and Hyojin.

 

But funnily, right at that moment, speaking the Taehyung's way, a crazy idea suddenly crossed my mind. It might sound even more absurd than connecting Hong Sol and Juyeon but for they were reportedly single, why not giving it a try?

 

"Do you want to me introduce someone?"

 

"Look who's speaking. Your network must be wider than mine, yeah?" - Hyojin put both hands on my shoulders, turned me around and slightly shoved me towards the platform entrance. - "Hurry up. We'll talk later."

 

"About what?"

 

"A lot." - His smile radiated even though it was late at night and he must be exhausted after a hectic day. - "Anyway, have a nice weekend, Wheein ah."

 

-----
I think of Seulgi to be super professional and sometimes, being professional sadly means you need to appear flawless and approachable. So, let's see if Hyojin would help her let her guard down and be less constraint.

Meanwhile, for Wheein and Taehyung, how do you feel about them starting to get to know from small interactions like this?