Seven

Remnants Of The Heart

 

*banner by G-Dara21

-----

 

 

 

Sandara woke with a start. She blinked several times, trying to drive the confusion and dizziness away. She was staring at an ordinary ceiling made of wood. Slowly, images of what happened started flashing in her mind that it made everything inside her tensed. With a gasp, she sat up and looked around the room. The walls were painted in dry green. Two small windows were located on top of the headboard. Aside from the bed, a wooden cabinet and a small table at the side, no other furniture was present. Her breathing then started to slow down upon remembering being in Seunghyun’s arms and falling asleep.

 

As if on cue, the door opened. Seunghyun stepped in with a tray in his hands. Upon seeing her, he smiled a smile that made her heart race inside her chest. She cleared silently and lifted a hand to her chest, rubbing the spot above her heart.

 

“Hey,” he said. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Dizzy,” she answered truthfully. “And a bit tired.”

 

He nodded. “Are your wounds still hurting?” he asked.

 

“What wounds?”

 

“Your feet,” he said. “They were. . . well. . .”

 

“Oh!” she exclaimed and looked down at her feet. They were bandaged, up until her ankle. “Not too painful.”

 

“Good,” he said as he settled the tray on the small wooden table. “The downside of it is, you would not be able to walk around for the meantime. It would not be comfortable but I have to carry you around. . .”

 

Sandara almost smiled at the look on his face. It’s as if he was asking her permission to carry her around. She was glad to have the old Seunghyun, her knight in shining armor. But then, of course, he still kidnapped her. She ought to be angry at him. He just saved your , a side of her mind sneered at her, making her scowl.

 

“I hope that scowl is not for me.”

 

She looked up, only realizing that she was staring down at her hands resting on her lap. “Not really. . .” she managed to say.

 

With his hands on the back pockets of his jeans, he sighed and just remained on his spot. “I’m really sorry,” he said. “But –”

 

“I guess being kidnapped is being better than being killed,” she joked, trying to lighten the mood. She was really not use to seeing his face looking like that. He was still handsome, more handsome actually. She adored those eyes, those brows, those lips, that nose when she was younger. She saw Seunghyun as her prince, her knight in shining armor before. He’d always been so caring and sweet to her before. “And besides, you just saved me. So I guess I owe you one.”

 

“Don’t feel like that,” he said. The harshness in his tone made her gape at him. “I don’t like hearing you feeling like you owe me.”

 

“But. . .”

 

“I came after you not just because of what I was ordered to do. I like saving you.”

 

She felt heat crept to her cheeks. Come to think of it, this isn’t really the first time he saved her. Back then, he had always saved her, especially from Jiyong’s bullying. She would always scream his name when she could not think of anything to say or if she felt too hurt already.

 

“I. . .” she started, looking down. “I like the fact that you’re always there for me. Even before,” she added in a whisper.

 

Seunghyun then went to his knees, in front of her. “I will always be here,” he said.

 

“And Jiyong will always be there to bully me as well,” she said, almost smiling. “Don’t you just find it weird?” she then said. “After all these years, we met again. Me, needing to be saved; you being the savior; and Jiyong. . . Jiyong will always be the bully. It’s as if our fates, the three of us are intertwined.”

 

He let out a chuckle. “You’re a bully magnet,” he teased. “I’ve always wondered why you never learned to stay away from Jiyong, I mean before. I really find it weird why you always try to talk to him even if you knew he’s just going to bully you. But I guess your theory pretty much explain it.”

 

Silence then enveloped them.

 

“How. . . how did you manage to escape from him?” he asked softly.

 

Guilt filled her chest. She shouldn’t feel guilty but she can’t help feeling it. “I lied to him,” she said. “I made him believe that I like him, that I had a crush on him even before. I told him that any sane person would never talk to a bully like him but I still did because. . .well, I made him believe I liked him, at least that’s what I was trying to get at. I guess he believed me and trusted me enough not to run. I think I even flirted, a little. And I think he believed me.”

 

“Oh Dara,” he said, pulling her in his arms. “You must be so scared that time. . .”

 

“It worked,” she said, letting the guilt washed over her now. “He did believe me and trusted me enough not to run away. When in truth, I wanted to tell him that the only reason I kept on talking to him was you.”

 

Seunghyun stilled then slightly pulled away from her, his eyes searching hers. “What?”

 

“I kept on talking and playing with Jiyong before because I knew he’ll bully me and having him bully me always gave me the excuse to run to you.”

 

She gave him a shy smile as he stared at her, his eyes searching her face again. “Dara,” he whispered.

 

She waited but Seunghyun just stared at her. At the back of her mind, she can’t help but think that if it was Jiyong, he could have devoured already. Of course, Seunghyun was not like that. So she decided to take the first step. She leaned forward and touched her lips gently on his. She pulled away, waiting for his reaction. But then, she was not given the chance to look at his face as he closed the distance between their faces and captured her lips in his. As if on instinct, she lifted her hands and curled her fingers in his hair. She opened willingly and welcomed him in. It was comfortable, tingly and warm.

 

At the back of her mind, she can’t help but compare the kiss to that one she shared with Jiyong. Jiyong’s kiss was. . . like fire her nerves, consuming. Maybe it helped that he seemed so good at it, which only proved that he’d been with so many girls already. She made a sound at the back of , wanting to growl for comparing Seunghyun’s kiss to Jiyong. They were two different people. It was like comparing a suspense book to a romance book.

 

Then, as she started to want more, he pulled away and gave her a smile that melted her heart. He then closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against hers.

 

“Seunghyun?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Thank you,” she said. “It was nice.”

 

He straightened up and chuckled. “Speaking of nice, it would be nicer if you eat first. Then, we’ll talk more afterwards,” he finished, winking. His words held a promise that made her blush. She cleared as he turned her attention to the tray of food he brought. “You look lovely when you blush; it adds life to your pretty face.”

 

She blushed deeper. Who wouldn’t? This was her childhood prince – Choi Seunghyun. He even looked every inch of a prince, except for his obviously worn out clothes and the fact that he kidnapped her for money.

 

“Where are we anyways?” she asked, trying to distract herself from his stares as she started eating. Yes, she was distracting herself as his stares were making it hard for her to swallow.

 

“This house belonged to Kush’s grandparents.”

 

She frowned. He introduced her to the others a while ago, when they were in the car. But she could not remember any Kush from them. “Kush?”

 

“Yeah,” he answered. “He wasn’t with us a while ago.”

 

“Oh,” she mumbled. “Figures.”

 

“What’s with the frown?” he then asked. “Don’t you like the food?”

 

“The food’s great,” she said. “I was just wondering. . . .”

 

“About what?”

 

“About Jiyong. . .” she confessed. Her eyes widened at the look in his handsome face. “No, don’t get me wrong. I was just wondering how long it will take him this time to find me.”

 

“He won’t,” he said. “We just have to be careful from now on.”

 

“I can’t hide forever.”

 

“We’ll find a way.”

 

It was nice hearing him say we all the time. It was as if she’s now a part of this, of everything, of him. It was pretty silly but it was still nice. She can’t explain or help it though, she just got this feeling he’ll find her. She didn’t want to die, of course. But she was more afraid of facing him now that she betrayed him. “It’s weird,” she said, chuckling a little. “I feel like I’ve betrayed him.”

 

“You’re a good person Dara,” he said. “It’s normal for you to feel guilty even if other people’s intentions are. . .well, let’s just say not that pure.”

 

“He said he didn’t want to kill me yet because he wanted to know why someone would want me dead.”

 

Seunghyun froze. No, he can’t tell her, at least not yet.

 

“What will happen now, by the way? Are you going to call my parents for the ransom?”

 

He shook his head. “I can’t let you go back to your parents yet. Your life is in danger. I have to talk to the others first. We’ll figure out something.”

 

“Thanks,” she smiled. “Thanks for doing this but. . . I don’t think you or your friends should be bothered to hide me. You’ll only get into trouble. They might kill you as well, whoever they are.”

 

He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter, Dara. What matters is –”

 

“How can you say that?” she gasped. “I can’t let. . . I just can’t let other people die because of me.”

 

He captured her face in between his hands. “I’ll figure something out,” he said. “Please trust me.”

 

She opened to argue but the look on his face and the word please stopped her. With a sigh, she nodded. “Okay. . .”

 

“Thank you,” he said, kissing her forehead, the tip of her nose and finally, . A warm feeling spread through her system. It was like the sun’s rays embraced her body after being in winter for over a year. It was a comfortable feeling, no unpredictability or expectation. It was like opening a romance book – you already know how it will end even if you’re still in the middle of the story, where the two lead characters will experience problems and it would make you cry. Even if you’re reading the sad part of the story, you still would want to go on because you knew at the end, they’d still be together, be happy together. There’s no need to fear the unknown ending.

 

Unlike opening a suspense book – full of unpredictability, just when you thought everything’s okay, the ending will send you plummeting to your knees from pain.

 

 

 

 

 

-o=o=o-

 

 

 

Dara found out they were in a little bungalow with the mountains behind them. She hadn’t gone out that much for two days since her feet were still heavily bandaged although Seunghyun offered to piggyback or carry her around so she can see the whole area. She would have said yes to his offers but the teasing looks his friends were throwing at them were quite. . . embarrassing.

 

“He obviously wants to get her alone, away from anyone who can hear,” Teddy said.

 

“I would have to agree to that,” Kush seconded.

 

“What do you mean from anyone can hear?” Han Bin had asked.

 

“It’s –” Seungri started.

 

“You really don’t know when to shut up, do you?” CL cut him off.

 

“What?” Seungri innocently asked back.

 

“You are one pathetic person,” CL had grunted, rolled her eyes and walked away.

 

“What did I do?” Seungri blinked.

 

“What she’s trying to say is that Han Bin’s too young to know what it meant,” Kush said.

 

“Oh!” Seungri said. “But. . . he’ll eventually find out.”

 

“I want to know,” Han Bin inserted.

 

“One day,” Teddy said.

 

“Sorry about them,” Seunghyun whispered to her quietly. “I guess they’re bored.”

 

“It’s okay,” she whispered back. She wasn’t really sure why she’s whispering as well. “They’re quite fun to watch, actually.”

 

“Awww,” Kush’s voice was heard. “Just look at that! They’re going all lovey-dovey to each other even if we’re here.”

 

Sandara straightened up and blushed furiously. She bowed her head down and played with the fingers in her hands.

 

“Shush!” Seunghyun said, his arm wrapped protectively around her. He pulled her in closer and kissed her hair. “Let’s get out?”

 

She just nodded in response.

 

He was about to carry her out of the bungalow when Teddy spoke, “We’re going to get some food supplies, by the way. Anything in particular you want us to get?”

 

Sandara looked up and opened but she realized Teddy was looking straight at Seunghyun who looked down at her. “Do you want anything in particular?”

 

“Noodles,” she piped, and then blushed.

 

“You like noodles?” Han Bin asked in disbelief. “I mean, you’re rich, aren’t you?”

 

“Noodles,” Seunghyun loudly said.

 

“Anything else?” Teddy asked. “We might drop by a convenient store as well, you know, if you want protection or –”

 

“Noodles,” Seunghyun repeated, enunciating each syllable with emphasis.

 

“Okay,” Teddy shrugged as Kush started laughing his head off.

 

“Sorry about them,” Seunghyun said in a low voice to them. “They just haven’t seen a decent girl for a long while and that’s their way of saying they like you.”

 

“I like them as well,” she said, making his eyes narrow.

 

“I hope that’s a general comment,” he said. “I would not want to fight them off to keep them away from you.”

 

She knew she was blushing and she could swear he could hear the crazy beat of her heart inside her chest. He lifted a hand and tucked her hair behind her ear. “Why would you do that?” she asked, barely breathing.

 

“Haven’t I made myself obvious?” he asked softly, his hand caressing the soft skin of her cheek.

 

She shook her head in response. He smiled a little and tilted his head to the side.  He closed the distance between their faces and gave a short but lingering kiss. She took in a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves down but they were out of control.

 

“I like you,” he said. “I like you a lot.”

 

“I. . .” she started, swallowing. “I like you too, ever since we were kids I guess,” she finished with a laugh.

 

“Does that mean that we’re. . .?”

 

“Awww,” Teddy and Kush chorused. Dara jumped away from Seunghyun, blushing crazily again. She thought they already left. “Seunghyun finally got a girlfriend,” they chorused again then ran away, laughing.

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, far from the little bungalow that Seunghyun and Sandara were staying, a figure suddenly fell to his knees, bruised and beaten up. His face felt sticky due to the blood that came out from his wounds.

 

He tried staying on his feet but he was no longer able to fight the twentieth blow to his legs that he fell down to his knees, breathing hard and trying to keep his eyes open. His Uncle eventually found out about what happened, that the girl escaped and what happened to the park as well. Impossible yes, but his Uncle was able to wipe-clean any type of evidences or proofs that something happened in the park even before the authorities arrived. He said they could not afford having scenes as such as it would cause talk, especially now that the absence of Dara was starting to get through the media.

 

“Why?” his Uncle asked, who watched him being punished from a corner of the room. “Why didn’t you kill her when you have all the time in the world to do so? Do you even know the impact of this to us? To you? To me?!?”

 

“He likes her,” No Minwoo said in an amused voice.

 

“With what you did, you know you should be punished with death!” his uncle went on as if Minwoo didn’t speak. “If I stick by the rule, I should ask for you to be killed right now! But I’m going to give you one last chance, Jiyong. One last chance, for your aunt. If you screw this up, then I don’t have a choice but to order the others to take you down!”

 

“I will do it,” he said, looking determined.

 

His uncle stormed out of the room with the others following behind him. Minwoo was left staring down at him with a smug look on his face. “Do you think I’d be lucky enough to kill you?” he asked.

 

“Screw you,” Jiyong hissed.

 

“One last chance, Jiyong,” he said. “But you know what I think? I think you would not be able to do it. Oooh, I can’t wait for the day to come for Uncle to order me or someone else to take down his favorite and all pampered up Kwon Jiyong.”

 

Jiyong smirked despite his condition. “And I can’t wait to get my bullet straight into your forehead.”

 

“That’s a very entertaining thought,” Minwoo smirked. “Morbid but entertaining. Oh well, I think have I have to leave you alone for a while to let you mourn over your stupidity for falling into the girl’s charms. She obviously had you wrapped up in her little pinky finger. But remember, I’ll be watching you from afar.”

 

“You’re starting to make me believe that you’re gay,” Jiyong managed to retort before falling down to his back.

 

 

 

Hours later, Jiyong can now be found in his room, in his bed. The television was on but his thoughts were wandering. He was playing with a gun absentmindedly when his attention was pulled up by the mention of someone’s name, Sandara Park’s name. His eyes went to the television. The reporter was delivering the report about the absence of Sandara Park and the distraught it had caused to her parents. They’re now releasing an official statement that whoever will be able to find her will be rewarded with a large sum of money.

 

A photo of Dara then appeared. He lifted his bruised arm bearing the gun and pointed it straight at the forehead of the photo of the girl. then, he pulled the trigger, blasting the television in the process. A hole can be seen in the damaged television and it was in the exact place where the girl’s forehead in the photo was supposed to be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-o=o-o=o-

 

 

 

 

“I like her,” Teddy said, making Seunghyun glare at him. “Not in the way you do,” he amended. “But I don’t like her enough to sacrifice my life for her.”

 

Sandara was currently sleeping and Seunghyun was feeling restless as it’s their fourth day in the bungalow already and the news about Sandara Park was now the most-talked about topic anywhere you go, especially there’s money involve. He tried talking to the others about his plan but they seem to not agree.

 

“Look, if we just tell her parents about the truth, or tell her the truth about who ordered –”

 

“Seunghyun,” Kush interfered. “If we do that, do you think Dong Wook would be very happy with us or the person who ordered Sandara to be kidnapped? I don’t think so. If we reveal this out, they could silence us by killing us or hurting the people we love.”

 

“And don’t go telling us that we can have this reported to the authorities,” CL seconded. “If you forgot, we’re the bunch of thieves they’ve been looking for as long as I can remember. If they realized those thieves are us, we’ll be in trouble.”

 

“You’re like a brother to us, Seunghyun so we can probably give up the ransom or the money by backing out from the deal. But we can’t stay like this forever and hide her and protect her. It’s not our responsibility,” Kush said.

 

Seunghyun sighed in surrender. “I understand,” he nodded.

 

“But you can still use this place,” Kush amended. “It’s pretty much abandoned.”

 

“I guess we should do some sort of group hug or something,” Seungri said which earned him exasperated looks. “What?” he then asked, blinking.

 

It was not an easy decision, Seunghyun knew that. But he trusted the others that they would not decide like this if they haven’t thought about it thoroughly. They all needed money but his friends were willing to give that up for him, as they knew how much he cares for Dara as well. It was hard parting with them. He wasn’t really sure as well as to when he’ll be able to see them again or if he’s still going to see them sometime soon. With the recent events, he could just not help but think of all the possibilities out there.

 

So as soon as they left, he went to Dara’s room and saw her still sleeping peacefully. A smile crept to his lips for some reason. It was like a knee-jerk response or something. He tried to search about any regret. Sure, he would miss the others but there’s no regret to that. He just knew, just by seeing Dara’s face that everything will be worth sacrificing for her.

 

Everything.

 

He then slowly retreated back and closed the door. He went to the kitchen and made a cup of coffee. Since the others left, he knew he has to shoulder the responsibility of keeping guard. As he took a sip of coffee, he took out a book that Kush gave him – a book featuring knives and guns. He wasn’t sure if it was even legal to publish such book or where Kush got it but it was pretty useful as it was – his thoughts suddenly stopped.

 

He straightened up. He wasn’t a trained fighter but he was a skilled thief, not that it’s something to brag about but there were just instances that he could feel something’s wrong. It’s like. . . a thief instinct. A thief would know or rather sense if someone else is trying to get what he wanted to get.

 

That feeling was surrounding him right now that he immediately ran off to the room and woke Dara. “W-what – ?” she groggily asked.

 

“We have to leave,” he said.

 

“Why?”

 

“Something’s not –” he started but stopped as a loud bang suddenly infiltrated the night. They both paused and stared at each other.

 

With her eyes wide opened she stared at Seunghyun. “He’s here, isn’t he?” she gasped. “He found me, just like he said.”

 

“Let’s go through the window,” he said and grabbed her hand. “You jump first,” he said.

 

“Seunghyun,” she whimpered.

 

“Okay, I’ll jump first then I’ll catch you okay?”

 

She shook her head, tears b in her eyes. “Let’s go together.”

 

“How sweet,” a venomous voice then said from the doorway. Seunghyun’s eyes widened in surprise, even his thief senses were not able to hear his footsteps.

 

Dara felt cold upon hearing that voice. Slowly, she turned to face him and was planning to be fight back but the sight of him stopped her from doing so. A hand flew to upon seeing his face – his brutally bruised and beaten face. It wasn’t just that, even his arms got this bruises and his left hand was bandaged. He got two guns in his hands, one pointing at her, one at Seunghyun.

 

Seunghyun pulled her behind her but she can’t help but peek and look at Jiyong. their eyes met and her heart doubled over before she felt so cold it’s as if she’d been thrown into a river of ice. His eyes were like no other she’d ever seen – he looked ready to kill.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------

R U A sweet DARALING?

 

Let us all help WeLoveDara and OhDara raise some funds for Dara's birthday! Hehe. They've got really cute shirts and stuff!

See the link:

http://oh-dara.com/goodies-for-sale/

cr. oh-dara.com

 

(I hope they don't mind me posting the link here. Aigoo)