One

Remnants Of The Heart

 

Kwon Jiyong, age sixteen, was slumped in a chair with a bored expression. He was waiting for the phone call of his Uncle to be finished. He gave out a loud yawn and sighed heavily. He had been very bored lately as he got nothing to do. He just hopes that his Uncle calling him to his private office would somehow brighten him up or end up the trend of what seemed to be a boring day. For any normal or sane person, anyone would expect to see someone as young as him going to school or studying in his room, and of course, have crushes. He should be surfing the internet or watching the television for sports or even sneakily watch adult videos. But those things do not hold his interest at all.
 
At age sixteen, you would be surprise with what interest Kwon Jiyong. It was far from the normal interest of a youth, of someone as young as him. He huffed and rolled his eyes as his Uncle chuckled to something the person on the other line said. Judging from Lee Sanggun’s tone, Jiyong could just tell that he was talking to his Aunt, Go Eun Mi. He could not help but grimace at how sweet his Uncle sounded. Huh, if only his Aunt knew what his Uncle is doing behind her back. No, he was not saying that his Uncle is being unfaithful but he could not tell as well that he is.
 
He slumped in his seat further and closed his eyes. Bored to death, he started faking snores, just to get his Uncle’s attention. But then of course, if there was one thing that Lee Sanggun could really focus on without being distracted, that would be if he’s talking to his wife or if his wife around. Jiyong wondered sometimes as to how such relationship lasted for so long. They’re just. . . opposites. Eun Mi was mild, caring, thoughtful, sweet. . . but his Uncle. . . huh. . . they were almost the same in every aspect, except probably when it comes to women, or girls, to his case.
 
When he heard his Uncle saying goodbye to his aunt, he suddenly straightened up and grinned at his Uncle who was giving him a disapproving look. “I’m bored,” he said, shrugging. “It’s been a long time since the last time I went out and played.”
 
“Your Aunt’s getting suspicious of you,” he said. “I had to pull you out of the field for the meantime.”
 
“But. . .?” he urged on. He could just tell there was something hanging in the sentence.
 
“We just received a deal, big time.”
 
Jiyong’s grin widened. “Just what I needed: some action. I had enough goofing around here.”
 
Sanggun eyed him carefully. “This is not a simple play, Jiyong. This one’s pretty. . . let’s just say, top priority. The clients are paying a big amount of money here. When I say big, I meant big.”
 
“No need to worry,” he smirked. “I got it.”
 
“They want the job to be nice and clean, and untraceable.”
 
“Since when did I ever fail you, Uncle?” he asked, voice slightly tinted with arrogance and confidence. He saw his Uncle smiled at his remark.
 
“I’ve got the photo here,” Sanggun said. “Take a close look.”
 
Jiyong reached out for the envelope containing the photo. He was smirking at his Uncle as he pulled out the photos from the envelope. He looked down at stared at the first photo. It was a photo of a girl, about his age, smiling. He went to the next photo, and to the next, and to the next. Some of the photos were stolen shot, some were not. But they all contained the same image of the girl – smiling.
 
“Ah. . .” his Uncle sighed dramatically. “So you’ve been captivated by her beauty. Tch, does that mean you not be able to take her down, then?”
 
Jiyong looked up. “Who is she? And why do the clients want her dead?”
 
“You know we don’t ask our clients for their reasons. They pay us to do some job for them, and that’s it. We also don’t ask for the details of the subject, as you pretty know. What’s the use in studying the person’s profile when the person’s going to die, anyways? But I took time to get her name. Her real name’s Sandara Park, she’s adopted but they decided not to change her name.”
 
Jiyong nodded slowly.
 
“Something wrong?” Sanggun asked, frowning a little.
 
He shrugged. “Just curious,” he said. “She’s quite cute, after all. But consider the job done. And it will be nice, clean and untraceable.”
 
Sanggun nodded in approval. “Don’t fail me, Jiyong.”
 
“I’ve never failed before, Uncle. And I intend to keep that record.”
 
“Good,” Sanggun nodded. “You can leave now. I still have to meet with the others for their assignments as well.”
 
Jiyong gave his Uncle a lopsided smirk first before leaving the room with the envelope of photos of his next subject, his next target to erase from the surface of the earth. He went to his room and threw the envelope on the bedside table and went straight into the shower. He kept his mind blank as he stood under the falling water. It’s what he usually do when he’s just about to take someone else’s life – keep his mind blank.
 
As soon as he was finished taking a bath, he put on some jeans, without bothering to put on a shirt. He dropped himself on the bed carelessly and closed his eyes.
 
The grin on his face from bullying younger kids than him was wiped off of his face upon seeing the girl with that boy Choi Seunghyun. The little girl was smiling at the older boy. The boy then plucked a flower and put it on the girl’s ear. The girl giggled while covering . The boy then said something to her and she just nodded. With a smile and a pat on the head of the girl, Seunghyun left.
 
“Ya!” he called out to the girl. The girl turned around. She blinked at him blankly but then, she pouted. Jiyong marched towards her, grabbed the flower off of her ear and threw it to the ground, stepping on it mercilessly. “You are ugly!” he told her.
 
“You are bad!” she said, tears forming in her eyes. Her lips then twitched then she started crying. “You are bad, Kwon Jiyong!”
 
For some reason, Jiyong smiled at that.
 
“Kwon Jiyong is a bad boy!” she cried again. “I don’t like you!”
 
But Jiyong just smiled. There was something funny with the way she said his name. And it made him smile.
 
Jiyong opened his eyes and pushed himself up on a sitting position. He then knelt beside his bed and pushed it slightly away. There was a hidden floorboard under his bed. He slightly opened it and took out something – a doll. He looked at the doll. It had dark soothes on its faces, like it was burnt or something.
 
He was bullying some younger kids when out of nowhere, a mud was thrown at his face. He stopped and looked around for the culprit. It was the girl, looking angry. “You are bad!” she said. “You should not do bad things to others!”
 
He could just tell that the others suddenly grew interested with the girl’s bravery. It annoyed him. So he went to get a handful of mud as well and threw it to her direction. It landed on her face as well and the shocked look on her face made him laugh although admittedly, the mud did not suit her face. Her lips started to twitch and then as he expected, she started crying again.
 
“Oppa!” she wailed out. “Hyunnie oppa!” she bawled louder and ran off.
 
He placed the doll back to the floorboard’s compartment and fixed his bed. He then put on a shirt and went to the shooting room. Without putting any ear or eye protection, he took a gun and started shooting the mock-person – all the mock-bullets going straight to the head.
 
 
 
-o=o=o-
 
 
 
Seunghyun closed his eyes tight as he heard his adopted mother’s labored breathing and coughs. Without saying anything, he went inside the house, placed the bag of medicine, food and a few amount of money on the table and left.
 
He decided to go to his friend’s house, Teddy Park. And from the look of the other’s face, Seunghyun knew that Teddy knew why he was there, in front of his doorstep. The latter motioned his head to the side, giving him the signal to come in. as he stepped in, he saw that the others were also there – Seungri, Kush,  Hanbin and CL.
 
“I need money,” he announced. “I’ve had enough of the simple stealing.”
 
He dropped himself on the couch beside Seungri, took out a cigarette and lit it up. The others looked at each other. But it was CL who spoke first. “Your mother’s getting worst?”
 
“Yeah,” Seunghyun answered as if it was a simple fact.
 
“I think you should tell him,” Kush then said.
 
He instantly alerted. “Tell me what?”
 
“Well. . .” Teddy started. “I had a call. Well, to make the story short, someone’s in need for our manpower, or support.”
 
“Get to the point,” Seunghyun said.
 
“It involves big money, my friend.”
 
He sighed impatiently. “Can you just get to the point?”
 
“Well basically,” Seungri said. “We just have to kidnap someone.”
 
“You’re actually requested,” Kush smiled tightly. “It seemed that you’re quite getting popular in the theft world, and well, since kidnapping a person is much like stealing as well. . .”
 
Seunghyun was silent for a while.
 
“But of course, we did not say yes yet because of course, this is different since it involves a real person but they said they’re willing to double the amount. But I said I have to ask you first and –”
 
“How much is the money involved again?”
 
“It’s pretty big,” CL said. “We’ll be millionaires even if we divide it to each other.”
 
Seunghyun went silent again. “This is just kidnapping, right? Not killing someone?”
 
“No killings,” they all chorused.
 
“It’s on, then.”
 
 
 
-o=o=o-
 
 
 
The sun was high up in the sky. Sandara was slightly flustered as she went around finding a shaded place. Although tired and a bit sweating, she was actually smiling. It has been a while since she attended any festivities and she definitely missed the festivities in her home country. She’s been away for a while, studying abroad that she missed everything from her home country. Upon finding a slightly shaded place, she went there and leaned against the wall. Everyone was so preoccupied with the festivities that no one was giving a damn about her. She was a little bit far away from the festivities but even if that’s the case, she could not help but smile as she watched the people enjoy themselves even if the sun was high up in the sky.
 
 
Away and unknown to everyone, a lone figure stood at the top of the building, slightly hidden. With a bored expression, he installed the silencer device at the tip of his weapon and started assembling his things. As soon as he was done, he opted himself up and readied his gun to shoot. He knew where his target was and through the hole that he was peeping through, a small smile curved his lips upon seeing her smile while watching everyone enjoy the festivities. With steady hands and expert fingers, he started his countdown. He had this strange habit to count from ten to one first before pulling the trigger. As he started his countdown, he watched as the sun brings the brightness of her skin, watched the wind blew her hair gently. How many years had it been since the last time he’d seen her? Oh yes, ten years. She grew up quite pretty. And he wondered if she was still the same girl he’d known – a crybaby.
 
Five.
 
He noticed that he was wearing a dress.
 
Four.
 
Light blue suited her.
 
Three.
 
She seemed tired but happy.
 
Two.
 
A group of masked people surrounded her and the next thing he knew, Sandara was carried to a van, unconscious.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
--------
Kyak! Thank you for the warm support guys! And ooh, I've already got a banner for this fic! Yay! Thanks to OhItsLai!!!!! mwaahhh!
 
 
===========
TEASER!
 
- - -
 
"S-seunghyun?" she whispered in disbelief, her eyes widening.
 
- - -
 
"You said it will be nice, clean and untraceable! WHAT HAPPENED?!"
 
"Someone else is on in the job as well," Jiyong answered.