Chapter 12

Yin ☯ Yang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]12[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Flashback II [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]“The worse part of holding memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it.”[/CONTENTID3]

[CONTENTID4] Prenote: This entire chapter would once again, be a past, so I would not italicize everything. 

 

-2017-

 

"Inspector Yoo."

 

"Ahhh, Yoona ah. Don't have to be so formal, have a seat."

 

"Neh..."

 

"How's everything so far? You've been in the CD for awhile now. This is your first posting and after trying out other units, you still decided to come back here."

 

"That's because I like it," Yoona smiled. "CD always have those nail-biting challenges that keep me on my feet."

 

"Glad that you like the work here. I thought it's only because of Jiyong that brat," Jaesuk teased.

 

"O-Of course not!" Yoona's cheeks turned pink as she had her head down shyly. 

 

It's an open news in the station that Yoona and Jiyong had been dating since their trainee days and even when they went to different divisions, they stayed knitted, relationship closer than ever.

 

"You're going to complete your studies and become Inspector soon," Jaesuk continued, turning serious.

 

"Yes, thank you for your guidance all these while oppa," Yoona smiled.

 

"Yoona..."

 

"Is there something wrong? You don't look good..."

 

"There's a suspect that we have been following for ages, trying to catch hold of his criminal evidence but we haven't been able to achieve it...." Jaesuk explained.

 

"You mean... Lee Donghae?"

 

"Yes. Over the years, many of our comrades have been sent there in an attempt to try to find valuable information. However, a lot of them either disappeared without a trace or chose to turn towards the dark side..."

 

Yoona frowned, knowing where this was heading.

 

"You and Jiyong have always been the top performers in the cohort, catching the eyes of the management," Jaesuk was getting to his point. "To be honest, the management thinks that Jiyong would be a better fit but I-"

 

"But you're afraid that he'd go sideway if the case drags on?" Yoona finished his sentence.

 

Jaesuk nodded solemnly, "You know his temper. Jiyong... He's street-smart and quick-witted but many a times, he doesn't play by the proper rules. He got himself into quite a lot of trouble because of this. That's why I feel that you'd be a better fit instead. You're calm and your sense of righteousness aligns with the force. I believe you can overcome this, Yoona."

 

Yoona didn't know how to respond. 

 

"I know this decision needs some serious thoughts and I perfectly understand if you decide not to take it up eventually, but I really hope you can consider this, Yoona. I have confidence that you'd be the one to bring Lee Donghae to justice."

 

"If I did not take up, you guys will be sending Jiyong instead?"

 

"I'm not too sure. Like I said, the management prefers Jiyong, but now that I have told you this possibility, they might not send him anymore. Maybe they might send others, this is something that I can't put an answer to. For the sake of the undercovers, we don't disclose their identity to anyone."

 

Yoona bit her lips, in deep thoughts. Sure, she could reject this idea entirely. After all, even if she rejects this offer, her future isn't going to get affected. She would still be promoted to Inspector, having a bright future. Besides, there'd be a chance that they wouldn't send Jiyong anyway and things would still remain status quo. They would still be together, would eventually settle down and have mini Yoona-s/Jiyong-s. 

 

But what if Jiyong still ended up being chosen to go undercover? They would have to break up, she would have to pretend he's a bad guy, pretend to hate him, to have to catch him. Jaesuk was right; Jiyong's personality... She knew him well. He has the wit but he is also rash and hot-headed. A lot of people had succumbed under the pressure... What if he became one of them? Would she have to really hate him and there'd be no turning back for them anymore? No mini Yoona-s nor Jiyong-s, just her being all alone, mourning for her lost love...

 

"Okay. I'll do it."

 

"Mwuh? Yoona, like I said. This is a seri-"

 

"I know, oppa," Yoona cut him off. "This is a serious matter and there's no turning back should I decide to take it up. We both know Jiyong's temper and yes, though he might ease into the role very easily, I'm afraid he might lose himself, being torn apart by his sense of righteousness and the thing that he's suppose to follow. Besides, Lee Donghae is a guy, I believe I would be able to catch his attention and gain his trust more easily."

 

"Yoona, you've to know that there is no deadline to this assignment. You might take half a year, one year or even five. No one knows when this will end."

 

"I know. Maybe I can finish in half a year? I won't let you down, oppa."

 

"The road ahead is going to be very tough. You and Jiyong's relationship..."

 

Yoona bit her lips, nodding, "I know... It'll be a very lonely road but I believe that justice will prevail. We can't leave Lee Donghae scot-free. This sacrifice will be worth it."

 

"I believe you can take him down in no time. Jiyong would be waiting for you definitely. I know this brat. Once he sets his eyes on something, he would not give up. I can tell he's very serious about you," Jaesuk encouraged.

 

"Will he?" Yoona forced a weak smile. "I guess so. That's what would break him even more I guess..."

 

"I'd be your handler. You'll not be alone in this journey, Yoona," Jaesuk comforted. "I'll let the upper management know. We'll discuss the plan to get you out of the force logically."

 

"Thanks oppa..."

 

☯☯☯☯☯

 

One month later.

 

"IM YOONA! If you're step out of this precinct now, don't you ever come back!"

 

"I DON'T CARE!"

 

"Yoong!"

 

Everything was going according to plan. Yoona's performance started to go downhill as she was caught hanging out with the thugs in the street, helping them get away with their crimes or at times, being rash and broke the law, forcing people to admit guilty.

 

"Yoong..."

 

"Don't even start," Yoona cut Jiyong off as she took another shot of tequila, feeling the burning sensation down . "I'm NOT going back."

 

"What happened?" Jiyong was perplexed by her recent behaviour. "I was the hot-headed one, not you. Something happened, right?"

 

"Reality happened," Yoona glared at him. "Reality tells me that no matter how hard I try, I'll never. EVER. get ahead of you."

 

"Mwuh?"

 

"I overheard Jaesuk oppa's conversation with Senior Inspector Kim," Yoona motioned the bartender to serve her another drink. "I fared a point better than you during the shooting routine, but guess who's going to the training workshop in Germany?"

 

Jiyong did just receive the news of him being selected to go for a month training in Germany. It was a rare opportunity to be training with other countries' police and this was a workshop that were meant for the best of the best. To be honest, he was a little surprise to receive this news because he too, thought Yoona would be the one going instead because she had always been performing and was slightly ahead of him.

 

"The force will never tolerate a female to be more capable than a male," Yoona snorted. "That's the reality."

 

"I can speak to Jaesuk oppa. You can go in place of me."

 

"You d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter