Rejuvenation

From Here We Go Sublime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EXT.  ROAD TO JUNG RESIDENCE - MORNING

The dawning sky engulfing the town. Bright rays shining down onto KRYSTAL’s fatigued face as she rides her bicycle down the soundless street. She lifts her chin up toward the hazy sky and embraces the crisp and clean air.

She stops her bicycle in front of the yard. As she gets off her bicycle, she peers upward at the window that belongs to JESSICA’S room. A considerate look on her face.


INT. JESSICA’S ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - MORNING

JESSICA turns over on her side toward her window. She looks outside of it, steadily watching KRYSTAL as she pushes her bicycle in the direction of the backyard. She has a look of remorse on her face.


INT. HALLWAY - JUNG RESIDENCE - MORNING

JESSICA exits her room only to be met by KRYSTAL’s presence. The two share a solemn stare, not daring to move a muscle. They explore each other’s eyes, looking as if one is waiting for the other to decide what should be done next.

Suddenly, KRYSTAL walks up to JESSICA and brings her into her arms for a sincere embrace. She lets her go and retreats into her bedroom as if nothing has happened, leaving JESSICA with a dumbfounded expression.


INT. KRYSTAL’S ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - AFTERNOON

Enters AMBER through the window. She brushes her pants and rolls her eyes at KRYSTAL.

AMBER
When will I ever be able to enter through the front door like a normal person?

KRYSTAL
Never.

AMBER
Why’s that?

KRYSTAL
Because you’re not a normal person.

AMBER rolls her eyes again and takes a seat on KRYSTAL’S bed. As this takes place, KRYSTAL is sitting in front of her mirror, brushing her long, luscious hair.

AMBER
(pointing at KRYSTAL’S hair)
I hope it all falls out.

KRYSTAL
And I hope you fall the next time I regretfully allow you to come through my window. 

AMBER scoffs with a laugh. 

AMBER
You think you’re so witty.

KRYSTAL sets down her brush and faces AMBER with a look of desperation on her face.

KRYSTAL
Did you bring it?

AMBER
Why else would I be here? It’s not like you want me here just for my friendship.

KRYSTAL
Oh, shut up. Let me see it.

AMBER digs into her jean pocket and removes a small bag of white powder.

KRYSTAL smiles, a gleam of joy in her eyes.

KRYSTAL
Get it ready.

AMBER
(bowing sarcastically)
Of course, your majesty.

AMBER begins to cut the powder on top of a textbook with a credit card.

KRYSTAL scrolls through her mp3 player. She makes a decision and turns up her speakers. Satellite by Eliott Smith.

AMBER
What the is this? 

KRYSTAL
Eliott Smith, duh.

AMBER shakes her head as she pulls a small, slender tube from her pocket.

AMBER
I swear, you play the most depressing . 

KRYSTAL
I don’t think I do.

AMBER
Listen to it! It’s just ing sad.

KRYSTAL runs her fingers through AMBER’S boyish locks with a somber smile.

KRYSTAL
‘Sadness is a radical quantity. Sadness is a long brown ribbon. Sadness is beautiful.’  Sibylle Baier.

AMBER quickly snorts the powder with the tube. She wipes her nose and gives KRYSTAL a puzzled, apathetic look.

AMBER
Who’s Sibylle Baier?

KRYSTAL takes the tube from AMBER’S hand.

KRYSTAL
It doesn’t matter. Well, it matters, but it doesn’t matter.

AMBER
What the does that mean? It either matters or it doesn't.

KRYSTAL takes her turn snorting the powder.

KRYSTAL
Maybe I’ll explain halfway through the bag.


INT. DOORWAY - JUNG RESIDENCE - NIGHT

The room is dark and seemingly abandoned.

KRYSTAL is slowly turning the doorknob to the front door. She is wearing the lace dress JESSICA bought her at the mall. Just as she is about to exit the door, JESSICA appears behind her.

JESSICA
Krystal? Where are you going?

Caught in the act, KRYSTAL hangs her head in defeat. She turns around to face JESSICA with a feigned, innocent expression on her face.

KRYSTAL
Uh, out. To a friend’s birthday party.

JESSICA looks at the watch on her wrist.

JESSICA
At 12 am?

KRYSTAL shrugs nonchalantly. 

KRYSTAL
She’s a night owl, what can I say?

JESSICA places her hand on her hip, her back erect in an authoritative manner.

JESSICA
Well, I think it’s way too late. You shouldn't be riding your bicycle out this late.

KRYSTAL
I was going to take a taxi. Besides, I wasn't planning on staying long, anyway.

JESSICA
Sorry, Krystal. But the answer is no.

KRYSTAL’S furrows her eyebrows.

KRYSTAL
I’m 19 years old.

JESSICA shakes her head exhaustedly. 

JESSICA
We both know you’re too smart to play that game, Krystal. <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter