The One

From Here We Go Sublime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

INT. JESSICA’S ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - NIGHT

JESSICA is pacing around her room. She continuously looks over at her phone and anxiously wrings her hands. Suddenly, her cell phone rings. She answers.

JESSICA
(on the phone)
Jesus, mother, it seems like I can never get ahold of you!

LILY JUNG 
(on the phone)
Time zones, honey! Time zones!

JESSICA
Sorry! I know. But..she’s acting out again, mother. I don’t know what to do.

LILY JUNG
(yawning)
Well, what is she doing this time? Must be severe if you’re ringing my phone off the wall!

 

JESSICA bites off a loose fingernail. 

JESSICA
I don’t know. Everything seemed to be fine. We went shopping, we went to have coffee, I even got her to say more than two words to me.

LILY JUNG
Honey, please get to the point. What has she done this time to warrant such a reaction?

JESSICA
She just snapped suddenly. I mean she typically looks annoyed with me, but something in her changed. Like I said before, it’s in her eyes. Something switched inside of them and she went from annoyed to furious.

LILY JUNG
So you’re acting as if it were the end of the world over because of her giving you an angry face? I don’t understand.

JESSICA slams her fist down onto her bed.

JESSICA
It’s beyond that, mother! Something in her changed. It’s almost as if she became a different person. Right there and then. Just switched completely. 

LILY JUNG
It’s as I said last time to you, darling; she mopes around, she has a tantrum, then she forgets it even happened. It’s an endless cycle with that one! This is all just Krystal being Krystal. 

JESSICA
But it’s not just 'Krystal being Krystal'. You don’t understand.

LILY exhales sharply through the phone.

LILY JUNG
Honey, I understand all too well. Believe me.

JESSICA rubs her temples in frustration.

JESSICA
Well, what can be done?

LILY JUNG
Look, you make sure she takes her meds and you make sure she makes it to her appointments. That’s all there is to be done.

JESSICA
‘That’s all there is to be done’?

LILY JUNG
What else could we possibly do for her! I’ve tried just about everything. Psychiatrists, psychologists, rehabs, hospitals! If you manage to find something that can solve what is wrong with her then I’d like to be the first to know! So much money I’ve sunk into that one.

JESSICA scoffs.

JESSICA
It isn’t about the money, mother! 

LILY JUNG
You try saying that to the hospital bills!

JESSICA sits at the edge of her bed. She looks up at the ceiling, a look of hopelessness on her face.

JESSICA
I want her better. That is all.

LILY JUNG
Don’t we all. Look, honey, I really have to run now! I will speak to you later.

 

JESSICA stares at her cellphone, in disbelief at her mother’s apathy. She lies her head down on her pillow and shuts her eyes, looking as if she wishes she could wish it all away.



INT. VICTORIA’S BEDROOM - VICTORIA’S HOME - NIGHT

KRYSTAL and VICTORIA are lying in bed together. Under the blankets, they are presumably . KRYSTAL is lying with her eyes shut.

VICTORIA
You’re suddenly quiet. What’s on your mind?

KRYSTAL nuzzles into VICTORIA’S neck, to which VICTORIA responds with a kiss on her head. 

KRYSTAL
Oh, nothing.

VICTORIA tickles KRYSTAL’S side, to which she responds with a girlish giggle.

VICTORIA
What’s on your mind?

KRYSTAL thinks to herself.

KRYSTAL
What’s your relationship with your sisters like?

VICTORIA taps the top of KRYSTAL’S head with her finger.

VICTORIA
Hm. What is my relationship with my sisters like?

KRYSTAL
Do you get along with them well?

VICTORIA
Well, the older one, I get along with extremely well. We call each other daily. Speaking for hours on end. Sometimes she’ll fly out here to visit, or I’ll go out to visit her in Paris. I almost envy her sometimes.


KRYSTAL tilts her head, curiously.

KRYSTAL
Why do you envy her? I didn't even know you were capable of such an emotion.

VICTORIA
She’s a very successful woman. Leads the lifestyle some people only dream about. Owns multiple art galleries, photographs very important people, is friends with very important people. 

KRYSTAL
I’m sure there are things that come along with that that can also be very unpleasant for her. 

VICTORIA
Perhaps.

KRYSTAL kisses the bottom of VICTORIA’S lips.

KRYSTAL
I like your life.

VICTORIA caresses KRYSTAL’S with the back of her hand.

VICTORIA
I like that you’re a part of it.

KRYSTAL
And your other sister?

VICTORIA
Well, she’s a tricky one.

KRYSTAL
Why is that?

VICTORIA lets out an exhausted sigh.

VICTORIA
She’s an odd one. Always directionless. Never seems to be able to get it together. She fumbles a lot through life. A lot like you, actually.

VICTORIA pinches KRYSTAL’S rosy cheeks.

KRYSTAL
But do you get along with her?


VICTORIA smiles warmly.

VICTORIA
We get along just fine.

KRYSTAL turns over on her side and rests her head on her hand.

KRYSTAL
I wish I had that.

VICTORIA
You could if you wanted to.

KRYSTAL
That’s not true. You know that isn’t true.

VICTORIA mirrors KRYSTAL’S position.

VICTORIA
Truth is whatever you’d like it to be.

KRYSTAL
That’s stupid. 

VICTORIA shrugs and lights a cigarette.

KRYSTAL
I don’t think I’ll ever be able to let go.

VICTORIA
Not if you don’t try, you won’t

KRYSTAL
Every day she was gone I practiced what I might say to her if she ever returned. Now that she’s actually come back, I have nothing to say. Nothing comes to mind but anger. The memories sting more than they ever have.

VICTORIA
That’s your problem. You let your emotions control you. That’s why my sisters and I get along. Totally emotionless.

KRYSTAL frowns.

KRYSTAL
Who would want to have an emotionless relationship?

VICTORIA
Well, who gets along with their sisters and who doesn’t?

KRYSTAL takes the cigarette from VICTORIA’S mouth and puts it into her own.


KRYSTAL
I look at her and I just become so enraged. It’s just as if all of these emotions I learned how to perfectly tuck away are emerging. This indignant force just overcomes me and I want to punch her. I want to punch her so hard. 

VICTORIA chuckles to herself.

KRYSTAL
But then there are times that are unexplainable. Times where I look into eyes and I am reduced to being a child again. I want to throw my arms around her and embrace her as if we were children again.

VICTORIA
Perhaps the second emotion is something you should explore more. The first might get you put away again.

KRYSTAL puts out the cigarette.

KRYSTAL 
Say that again. I dare you.

VICTORIA
Involuntary is certainly in your future should you give into that childish rage of yours.

KRYSTAL growls and pounces on top of VICTORIA.  They both giggle like schoolgirls as they wrestle each other around the bed.



INT. LIVING ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - MIDNIGHT

KRYSTAL enters the house. She walks past the couch to see JESSICA fast asleep, remote in her hand. She hovers over her and studies every inch of her face. 

She walks to the closet and retrieves a blanket. She covers JESSICA with the blanket before heading upstairs.


EXT. BACKYARD - JUNG RESIDENCE - MORNING

The sounds of birds chirping. The luminous morning sky greeting the world.

KRYSTAL is lying in the garden. She is listening to music with headphones on and is reading The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. 

JESSICA watches her from the backdoor. KRYSTAL turns every page fully immersed.

JESSICA walks before KRYSTAL and taps her on the shoulder. KRYSTAL looks up with a dazed look in her eyes. JESSICA smiles kindly at her as she removes her headphones and closes her book.

JESSICA
You’re up early.

KRYSTAL
I didn’t sleep.

JESSICA takes a glance at KRYSTAL’S book.

JESSICA
Are you reading “The Secret Garden” because you’re in a garden?

KRYSTAL gives her a deadpan stare.

JESSICA
(taking a seat beside KRYSTAL)
I say stupid things, okay? Forgive me.

KRYSTAL sits up straight and brings her knees into her chest, seeming alert. 

JESSICA
It’s so peaceful out here.

KRYSTAL
Mhm.

JESSICA
Well maybe it was before I came along, huh?

KRYSTAL
Mhm.

They both take in the serene silence. Glancing at one another from time to time. 

JESSICA
You’re not still mad at me are you?

KRYSTAL
I’m still trying to decide if ‘mad’ is the right word for it.

JESSICA picks a rose from the garden and twirls her finger around it.

JESSICA
Do you want to talk about it?

KRYSTAL
Not really.

JESSICA nods understandingly.

JESSICA
Just know that I’m here whenever you want to talk. Okay?

KRYSTAL
And exactly how long will you be here for?

JESSICA
Two months, remember.

KRYSTAL scoffs.

KRYSTAL
That’s not what I meant.

JESSICA bites her lip, defeated.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter