To You

From Here We Go Sublime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

INT. VICTORIA'S BEDROOM - VICTORIA’S HOME - NIGHT

KRYSTAL is sitting on the bed, leaning against the headboard with a book in her hand. Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. A lit cigarette dangling from her lips.

Enters VICTORIA. She sits beside KRYSTAL and begins to play with her dark, cascading hair. 

VICTORIA
My beautiful girl.

KRYSTAL ignores the comment. Indifferent, she flicks her cigarette into the ashtray and continues to read her book. VICTORIA takes KRYSTAL’S chin in her hand; she turns her head so that they meet face-to-face.

VICTORIA
Is what you’re reading more important?

KRYSTAL blinks slowly.

VICTORIA
(jokingly)
Are you not more fascinated by my love for you?

KRYSTAL brings her cigarette to and takes a drag. She blows the smoke into VICTORIA’S face. VICTORIA scowls.

The sound of a phone ringing. KRYSTAL and VICTORIA both reach for the cellphone on the nightstand. VICTORIA beats her to it. 

VICTORIA
(looking at the screen)
It’s your sister again.

KRYSTAL retracts her hand and picks her book up.

VICTORIA
Are you planning on ever answering?

KRYSTAL puts her cigarette out. She takes another out of her case and places it between her lips.

KRYSTAL
No.

VICTORIA grabs a lighter and lights KRYSTAL’S cigarette.

VICTORIA
It’s been days. She’s very worried, I’m sure. Maybe you should just answer to soothe her worries?

KRYSTAL looks deeper into her book.

KRYSTAL
Now she gets to feel the sting of abandonment.

VICTORIA
Surely this is a different situation, Krystal.

KRYSTAL
Surely I do not give a damn, Victoria.

VICTORIA has a wry smile on her face.

VICTORIA
How adolescent of you. Your childish tactics are very unbecoming.

KRYSTAL
So be it.

VICTORIA
I know what it feels like to be on the other end. You can be a very difficult girl, do you know that?

KRYSTAL
(refusing to look up from her book)
So be it.

VICTORIA snatches the book from KRYSTAL’S hand and tosses it onto the floor. She pulls KRYSTAL in by the head for a forceful kiss. KRYSTAL bites down hard on the bottom of VICTORIA’S lip.

VICTORIA
(holding on to he mouth)
What the hell! That ing hurt!

KRYSTAL reaches down from the bed to retrieve her book. VICTORIA pushes her back against the headboard. Once again, she attempts another vigorous kiss. With all her might, KRYSTAL pulls her off and rises from the bed.

VICTORIA runs her fingers through her hair, greatly frustrated. 

VICTORIA
What has gotten into you lately?

KRYSTAL crosses her arms.

KRYSTAL
I need space.

VICTORIA
You need space?

KRYSTAL
Yes. You’re smothering me. It’s very unbecoming of you.

VICTORIA shakes her head with a sneer.

VICTORIA
Why I waste my time being in love with such an uncertain, childish girl, I’ll never know.

KRYSTAL takes a puff of her cigarette and watches VICTORIA with spite in her eyes.

VICTORIA
You confuse me, darling.

KRYSTAL walks over to the nightstand to grab her cellphone.

KRYSTAL
I’m leaving.

VICTORIA
Leaving? Now why would you want to do a foolish thing like that?

KRYSTAL tosses her bag over her shoulders.

KRYSTAL
Space! I need space!

VICTORIA
And where exactly do you plan to go? Amber’s I assume?


KRYSTAL
Amber can go to hell.

VICTORIA
Then where to?

KRYSTAL
Anywhere but there and anywhere but here.

VICTORIA sighs in defeat.

VICTORIA
Do you even realize the extent of which you break my heart?

KRYSTAL crushes the cigarette between her fingers.

KRYSTAL
(dryly)
So be it.

 

She slams the door behind her back and exits the house.


INT. KRYSTAL’S ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - MORNING

JESSICA wakes up in KRYSTAL’S bed. She rises from the bed and stretches her arms toward the ceiling. She looks out of the window at the beaming morning sun. Her eyes gleam as the bright rays pour in.

She slides her hands down her torso. She’s still wearing KRYSTAL’S billowy button-up. She brings the collar of the shirt to her nose and inhales it one last time before hanging it back into the closet. 

JESSICA sits at the desk. She glides her palms across the smooth white ash wood top. She opens the drawer. Inside she finds a leather journal; "To You" is written on the cover. She hesitates momentarily before opening the journal. Her eyes begin to blaze with curiosity as they flit about the pages.

“Dear Jessica,

It’s been almost a year since you’ve left. I ache with fear that you may never return. I have slept in your room every night since you’ve been gone. In place of you, your sheets comforted me during long, restless nights. The scent in your she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter