I Follow You

From Here We Go Sublime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

EXT. BACKYARD - JUNG RESIDENCE - EVENING

A calm, falling sunset radiating on JESSICA’S face as she lies in the garden. She turns her face against a rose and rubs her cheek against it; feeling the soft petal against her skin. 

Lying on her back, JESSICA retrieves her cellphone from her pocket. She scrolls through her texts with disappointment on her face. She opens a text from her boyfriend, MICHAEL. It reads:

“Where have you been, Jess? Why haven’t you been responding to my texts or answering my calls? Getting worried. Please get back to me ASAP.”

JESSICA erases the message. She scrolls through her conversations with KRYSTAL. The last message she received two weeks ago reads:

“I’m on my way home. Stop worrying.”

JESSICA sighs. She bites her lip and stares at KRYSTAL’S name on the screen. She presses the call button. 

It goes to voicemail.

With a frustrated face, JESSICA holds the phone against her forehead.

She leaves a message:

JESSICA
(on the phone)

Krystal. I don’t know what I can possibly say anymore. It seems like nothing I say to you will convince you to come back home. I am lost. I don’t know what to do for you anymore. 

JESSICA pauses, her eyes dancing around dark clouds in the sky.

JESSICA
I don’t know. Maybe me saying this will work. Maybe me saying this will finally be enough.

JESSICA closes her eyes.

JESSICA

I need you. I need you, Krystal. I need you to be with me. I need you more than I need anything else in this world. The emptiness I feel without you is unbearable. I know you know this feeling. You of all people should understand how miserable it is to feel this emptiness. 

 

JESSICA exhales sharply.

JESSICA
I can’t bear the waiting and the fear any longer. I need you.

JESSICA hangs up the phone.

She rolls around on to her stomach and buries her head into her arms.

She lies languorously beneath the descending, golden sun. 


INT. MALLORY’S HOME - BEDROOM - NIGHT

KRYSTAL is , sitting down in front of a full-length mirror. 

She stares into her reflection with hatred. She looks into her dead eyes and frowns. She runs her hands across her sharp collar bones with a look of distaste. She gets on her knees and runs her hands against her flat belly, feeling her protruding ribs. She pulls the flesh on the side of her stomach with a look of utter disgust.

She pounds her hands against the mirror with tears in her eyes. She sits back down and buries her head into her knees, sobbing with anger.

Enters KEY.

He has a look of great confusion on his face upon entering the room and seeing KRYSTAL in her distressed state. He bends down beside her and places his hands gently upon her shoulders. She flinches fearfully.

KRYSTAL
My god! I thought I locked the door!

KEY
(apologetically)
The door was open. I came in to get my coat.

KRYSTAL
(hiding her body)
How embarrassing! 

KEY clicks his tongue.

KEY
With that body, you have nothing to be embarrassed about, girl.

KRYSTAL looks back into the mirror, directing her gaze into KEY’S eyes.

KRYSTAL
Key.

KEY
Yes?

KRYSTAL
I hate myself.

KEY wags his finger.

KEY
Uh-uh. No, you don’t.

KRYSTAL
I do. I really, truly do.

KEY returns KRYSTAL’S strong gaze through the mirror.

KEY
We’ve all felt this way before. You’ll get through it. I promise.

KRYSTAL
Promises mean nothing to me.

KEY
I’d sooner die than break a promise to you.

KEY takes KRYSTAL’S hand into his.

KEY
You’re a beautiful girl who has the whole ing world ahead of you. Embrace it!

KRYSTAL
I don’t know how.

KEY kisses KRYSTAL’S hand, leaving lip gloss residue on the back of it.

KEY
I’ll teach you.

KEY grabs two luxurious, brown fur coats out of the closet.

KEY
I brought two just in case. You know me, Miss Indecisive! 

KEY places the coat over KRYSTAL’S shoulders.

KEY
We can match! Now wouldn’t that just be adorable? We’d be debonair sisters of the night! That’d be just so adorable, right?

KRYSTAL shakes her head and chuckles lightly. 

KRYSTAL
Yeah. Adorable.



INT. MALLORY’S PENTHOUSE - NIGHT

The sound of loud electronic dance music thumping. Lifeforce by Exium.

KRYSTAL is standing behind the kitchen island with a drink in her hand. She looks around at the crowd of peop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter