Page 13, Request

Enchanted - a story of us -
Iseul, Song
 
"Thank you," I bow politely and smile to the woman who just paid for a cake. She smiles back at me, holding her little daughter's hand.
 
I also smile at the little girl who waves at me cutely and chirps, "Thank you, Unnie!"
 
After they walk out from the cafe, I glance at my wristwatch. It's already 9 PM already. I wonder if Yonghwa is still waiting for me with my mother.
 
The shop is going to close at 10 PM, meaning that I still have my work time for at least an hour. Perhaps I need to ask the permission to return earlier from my supervisor today.
 
"Excuse me," I approach the middle-aged woman who is busy checking the remaining cakes. She looks up at me with annoyed expression, as if she is not happy that I disturb her work.
 
"What?" she asks me, fixing her glasses position. "Don't you have work to do instead of having a chat with me?"
 
"Err, actually I... Can I take my leave earlier just for today?" I speak with hesitation. I feel like she is ready to eat me anytime with her glare.
 
"What?" she frowns with disbelief. "What is your name? I don't think I saw you before? Are you new or what?"
 
Just like I thought, she doesn't have any idea that I just started to work today. I know that she is the cafe owner but I didn't apply for the vacancy through her so I'm sure she knows nothing about me until now.
 
"My name is Song Iseul. I have to-" I haven't even finished my explanation but the woman has her eyes widen and she cuts my words immediately.
 
"Wait! You can't be the Song Iseul, right?" she blinks, looking really surprised. "Don't tell me you are Yonghwa's girlfriend?! That CN Blue's Yonghwa?!"
 
According to my signed contract, I must acknowledge him as my boyfriend whenever or wherever I am. I give her a simple nod which makes her squeal like a fangirl, "Really?!"
 
Her face beams and the deadly owner's expression disappears into nowhere. She looks around and then leaves me without a word as if she is looking for something. She heads to her own room and then returns with CN Blue's album in her hand.
 
"Can you ask Yonghwa to sign this for me?" she hands over the album with a wide smile. "I'm his fan but I never managed to get his sign yet!"
 
"S-Sure...," I take the album and look at the album cover. I think I saw this album before because their agency gave me all of their albums so I could listen to their music. "I'll ask him to sign when I meet him."
 
"Oh, I can't believe Yonghwa's girlfriend works at my cafe!" she exclaims happily. "Do you think you can ask Yonghwa to come here? Oh my, you're such a lucky girl!"
 
I just smile at her, unsure about what kind of reaction I should give to her. I clear my throat awkwardly, "So... is it alright if I leave earlier just for tonight?"
 
"Oh," she mumbles as if she just remembers my real intention. She fakes a cough and returns to her calm personality, "Well, fine, just this once but..."
 
She leans closer to my ear and whispers, "...please make sure Yonghwa sign it for me."
 
I nod again and bow to her, "Thank you. I will return with his sign tomorrow night. Merry Christmas."
 
After I change my clothes, I quickly leave the cafe, putting the album in my bag. I check my phone to find two miscalls and a new text message from one person.
 
"Merry Christmas! Are you free tonight?
- Myungsoo"
 
 
Myungsoo, Kim
 
I switch the television channel once again. I don't plan to find anything to watch actually. I just want to do something that can divert my attention from my phone.
 
It's been an hour since I sent a text message to Iseul but she hasn't replied it yet. I even called her number twice but she didn't pick it up either. I wonder what she is doing.
 
After I visited her mother yesterday, I finally gathered my courage to ask her number. She gave it after she told me that maybe she would not be stand by 24/7 with her phone.
 
My mind wanders again to the moment when I hugged her. I still can remember her scent which reminds me of the winter. She looked so fragile that I even hugged her really gentle, as if she could broke into pieces.
 
After I finished with my schedule with the Christmas special show, I decided to send a text message to Iseul. Even if it's just for a while, I want to see her on Christmas.
 
"Yah, stop changing the channel!" Sunggyu scolds me playfully. "I was watching the gag show! Why do you keep changing the channel, Kim Myungsoo?"
 
"Eh? No. I just... bored," I laugh and grin awkwardly. He looks at me with suspicious look so I quickly divert the topic. "Don't we have to do something together on Christmas?"
 
"You mean like dinner?" Dongwoo joins the conversation. "I think it's a good idea. Why don't we buy some ingredients now?"
 
At the same time when Dongwoo and Sunggyu are talking about what we will do, my phone finally vibrates, a sign that there is a new text message. I quickly grab it to read Iseul's reply.
 
"I have a promise with someone already. Is there anything I can help?"
 
I sigh with disappointment, feeling down all of a sudden. I know I shouldn't have a high hope since I asked her so sudden but I still want to see her.
 
Before I think about what I should reply to her, I receive another new text message.
 
"Ah, Merry Christmas, Snowy Myungsoo. Your knit hat keeps me warm. ^^"
 
How can I not smile when I read her cute message? I cover my mouth with my hand, smiling really wide. This girl definitely has captured my heart even when she doesn't realize it.
 
"Myungsoo is crazy," I can hear Dongwoo whispers to Sunggyu. "He just sighed and then smiled like a lunatic. Are you sure he is alright, Gyu?"
 
Well, I'm going to let it slide this time. It's Christmas and Iseul just brightened up my day.
 
 
Yonghwa, Jung
 
"What do you think about Iseul, Yonghwa?" Mrs Song asks me, embracing my hand weakly. "She is my only daughter and who knows when I will leave this world."
 
"Don't say thing like that. I think Iseul will be sad if she hear you," I return her embrace gently. "She is trying her best and you know that she loves you more than everything."
 
"I know, I know," she chuckles, looking at me with the smile that looks really similar with Iseul's bright smile. "I'm just thinking about the time when she will introduce me to my future son-in-law."
 
This conversation is definitely leading me to the one I try to avoid. For a mother who only has a daughter with the condition where I'm the only man who always visits her with Iseul, it's not strange if Mrs Song thinks there is something between me and Iseul.
 
Well, yes, there is a contract between us. Both of us have the advantages with this contract as long as we do everything right.
 
I treat her as a friend. Not a really close one but still a friend. That's why I visited her mother at the first place after I heard about the reason why she needed money.
 
Perhaps it's just out of pity but lately I realize that her presence comforts me with her own way. I never think of her more than a friend though and that's exactly why I avoid this topic with Mrs Song.
 
Because there is definitely no future between me and Iseul. Surely I will have a relationship with someone one day but, for now, I don't even want to think about it. I know my girlfriend will feel that she is abandoned because of my busy schedule and I don't want that to happen.
 
"Yonghwa, if one day I leave this world and Iseul ask for my opinion about you, please tell her that I-" she stops her words because someone just knocks the room, interrupting our conversation.
 
Iseul enters the ward with her usual bright smile, approaching her mother who has pulled her hand back, "I'm sorry for coming late. Omma, I'll be going with Yonghwa Oppa for a while. Is it alright?"
 
"Sure! Of course it's alright!" Mrs Song looks really excited. She even gives me a wink when I stand up from the chair. "Please take care of my daughter, Yonghwa."
 
Now that sounds like I'm going to take her daughter somewhere for a long time.
 
Iseul bids good night with her mother before I open the door for her. I bow to Mrs Song and follow Iseul out from the hospital, feeling the cold breeze of winter.
 
"Why so sudden?" Iseul asks when I take a turn to the destination I've decided before the radio interview. "I thought it's just the script for the interview."
 
"Because it's Christmas?" I give a not-to-related answer. "I just think about doing something different on Christmas' Day this year."
 
"I think I will spend different Christmas' Day too this year," Iseul chuckles and she suddenly takes my hand, intertwining our fingers together. "We don't want anyone to suspect us if we get caught together, do we?"
 
My heart skips a beat and a question crosses my mind: does she feel the same? Does she feel something different when we hold each other's hand? Or is it just another act that we put for our deal?
 
"So...," Iseul looks at me with her usual sweet smile, "...where are we going?"