Click

Precious Moments

“Hayoung-ah!” Bomi yelled, although futilely. She cursed and looked at Namjoo and Eunji helplessly.

“They won’t be able to get too far. We all came in one car,” Namjoo reassured. 

“Did I say something wrong?” Junwoo asked guiltily.

“It’s not what you said,” Eunji muttered. It’s what you did.

“I’m sorry, we have to go,” Bomi said as she scrambled to grab her things. “We’ll be keeping in touch with you.”

“If there’s anything I can do―”

“You’ve done enough,” Eunji uttered. She had tried her best to suppress the hatred that she had internalized for Junwoo, but she couldn’t hold it in anymore. He hadn’t just hurt Chorong. He had hurt Chorong’s family. He had hurt Naeun and the other members.

“But I―”

“You’ve done enough,” Bomi repeated with a low voice that sounded almost like a growl. The sheer force and anger in her words forced Junwoo to immediately clamp his mouth shut and shrink back into his seat. Even Eunji was surprised by the sudden shift in Bomi’s tone. One shared look with Namjoo told Eunji that the younger girl was also shocked. 

Bomi grabbed her bag and said to Eunji and Namjoo, “Let’s go.” 

They didn’t spare one last look or word to Junwoo; they just picked up their belongings and followed the older member out.


They found Naeun and Hayoung on a bench in a nearby park. Naeun was staring blankly down at her fingertips as Hayoung silently comforted her.

“Did you guys forget that I’m your ride home?” Bomi asked jokingly as they approached them.

Naeun lifted her face. “I’m sorry.”

Eunji sat down on the bench next to the raven-haired girl. Though she still looked pretty shaken up, she wasn’t as pale as she had been in Junwoo’s house. Eunji supposed that she had Hayoung, whose arm was wrapped around Naeun’s slim frame, to thank for that. 

“You would have been more sorry if we had actually left without you,” Bomi grinned. 

“You wouldn’t have left us,” Hayoung frowned.

“You underestimate how much Namjoo enjoys her space.”
    Namjoo only shrugged at the mention of her name. “It does get pretty crowded in the backseat.”

Naeun cracked a small smile, and to Eunji, it was like a crack of sunlight amidst the stormy skies.

Bomi crouched in front of Naeun and looked up fondly at her with that gentle smile of hers that was warm enough to melt butter. “Are you alright, Naeun-ah?”

“I messed up. I’m sorry.”

“No, you didn’t. I know meeting Junwoo and being in his house must have been incredibly difficult. How you acted was perfectly natural.” 

“We promised that we wouldn’t act irrationally.”

Bomi gently pulled Naeun’s hand away from her fiddling fingertips and held them delicately. “That was a lot to ask of you. It would have been unfair of me to expect you guys to act perfectly fine.” 

“Are you saying that we could have been swinging chairs and breaking tables in there?” asked Hayoung.

“Honestly, I’m surprised that you guys didn’t do that,” Bomi replied smoothly.

“How was it for you?” Naeun asked. “When you met him.”

Bomi leaned back on her heels, and for a split second, her warm buttery smile faltered. “I was still in shock from Chorong-unnie’s accident when I met him, so I didn’t know how to act. I didn’t know what to say to him. I didn’t know if I should have been screaming at him and ripping out his hair or crying to him, asking him why he ran that red light. So I just sat in front of him quietly while he tried explaining what had happened. Everything started crashing down on me only when I got home. The accident, seeing Chorong-unnie in the hospital, and the disgust from seeing the man who had almost murdered her hit me all at once. I spent almost an hour throwing up in the bathroom, all while ugly tears streamed down my face.” Bomi squeezed Naeun’s hand. “So, trust me, you’re handling this much better than I did.”

“Unnie…,” Namjoo murmured. Her characteristic widened eyes looked like they were on the brink of tears.

“Bbom-ah,” Eunji said softly. “When you met him...that was when you said that you were taking a walk by the Han River, right?”

Bomi almost looked guilty when she nodded.

“Was I...Was I asleep when you were crying and vomiting?”

Again, she nodded. “I tried being as quiet as possible,” she joked lamely.

Eunji opened to say something, but decided against it and closed . She had been in Bomi’s house when Bomi had been suffering a mental breakdown. She had been asleep when Bomi needed her the most. The image of Bomi crying over a toilet bowl while Eunji was sound asleep in the next room, oblivious to her friend’s immense pain, sent an unstoppable wave of self-loathing through Eunji. 

“Stop that.”

“Stop what?”

“Blaming yourself. I can feel your self-loathing from here.”

“I wasn’t blaming myself,” Eunji lied, but Bomi only rose a brow and gave her a hard look.

“Don’t question my 93-line telepathy.” 

“Your what now?”

“You heard me.” Bomi reached over and grasped Eunji’s hand so that she was holding Naeun’s in one and Eunji’s in the other. “What happened happened. You can’t do anything about it. The only thing that matters is that I’m perfectly fine now, okay? And you guys are to thank for that. So don’t go telling yourself that you weren’t there for me when you’ve always been right by my side.”

Except I wasn’t, Eunji thought sullenly. Still, she nodded and allowed the topic to move on. “How about we go get some breakfast before heading to the practice room?”

“But we ate before we came,” Naeun said. 

“Well, we can eat again. Besides, a granola bar hardly counts as a meal.” 

“I think that’s a good idea,” Bomi agreed. “We can’t be hungry while practicing for our year-end performances. Namjoo-ah, do you know if any good restaurants around here?” 

Namjoo grinned and whipped out her phone. “What would you guys do without me?” 

Eunji shrugged. “Probably starve.” 

“Probably have more space in the backseat,” Hayoung added. 

Namjoo stuck out her tongue playfully, then returned to whatever she was doing on her phone. Her thumbs flew across the screen, just like how Hayoung’s did whenever she was playing her games. Just as Hayoung was motivated by games, Namjoo was motivated by food. 

After a few seconds, Namjoo slid her phone back into her pocket and announced, “There’s a good American-style breakfast place not too far from here. If we hurry, we can beat the breakfast rush.” 

“Then I guess we’d better get going,” Hayoung said as she stood up. “We can’t let Namjoo be deprived of her pancakes and eggs.”

“Don’t forget bacon!” Namjoo reminded. 

“I could go for an omelette,” Bomi chimed in, unbending her knees from her crouch and standing up. 

“No, Unnie, you have to try their eggs benedict. Come here, I’ll show you pictures of it. It’s their most popular dish.” Namjoo’s eyes were wide and sparkled with the joy of an excited child as she pulled out her phone again to show Bomi the restaurant’s so-called famous benedicts.

As simple as it was, this scene was one that Eunji would want to take a mental picture of and store in her memories forever. It was just so them to be bonding over food. 

“You should invest in a camera.” 

Eunji turned to Naeun, who was watching her with a small smile. “What?”

“You know what they say. Take a picture,” she nodded toward Bomi, Namjoo, and Hayoung, who were marveling at pictures of food, “it’ll last longer.” 

Eunji couldn’t help her cheeks from blossoming red. “You know me so well.”

“Of course. I’ve known you for about a decade.” Naeun’s expression softened, like warm memories were filling her thoughts. “It’s the same for all the other members.” 

“Yeah…,” chuckled Eunji. “You guys do tend to surprise me every now and then, though.” 

“You can’t know someone completely, I guess.” Naeun leaned her head on Eunji’s shoulder, her eyes still watching the other members fondly. “But that’s not a bad thing.”

“No, it’s not,” Eunji agreed. Then, after a moment’s pause, she looked down at Naeun’s face and asked, “Are you okay, Naeun-ah?”

The other girl didn’t look away from the other members. There was something soft and precious in her gaze, like she was looking at something that meant the whole world to her. “I am now,” she replied, and Eunji knew that she meant it. 

Eunji leaned her head on Naeun’s head, and for some reason, she was reminded of their trainee days, where they’d just slump against each other after grueling practices. Back then, they had all wondered if all their hard work would pay off, and now here they were, with a larger and still-growing fanbase and, perhaps most importantly, a whole new family. 

Click.

Naeun was right. Eunji should invest in a camera. But for now, as she switched her gaze back and forth between Naeun and the other members, this would do. As long as she kept this memory close to her heart and cherished it like all of her other memories, this would be enough.

The other members stopped looking at pictures of food and turned to face Eunji and Naeun with smiling faces, and, for a second, Eunji saw them in their debut days―Namjoo, with her wide and innocent eyes, Bomi, with her round cheeks and refreshing smile, and Hayoung, with her fresh baby face and little grin. She blinked, and those images disappeared, replaced by the faces of the members as they were today. Older and more mature, but still with the same smiles. Different, but same.

Yes, Eunji thought, this is enough.