Chapter 9

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

Dami noticed that something had changed in Eunwoo, and she knew something good had come out of the meeting. Eunwoo seemed... Happier, and Dami was okay with it. Seeing Eunwoo without his usual cold and stoic expression was a definite change after everything had happened with Hanbin. She still didn't understand everything completely, but understood that Hanbin needed his space.

Rocky was a different matter entirely, at least compared to Eunwoo. Rocky seemed colder, more so to everyone who questioned why he was like that all of the sudden. Eunwoo knew why, but wouldn't speak about it, saying that it was something that Rocky would talk about eventually. Dami wanted to know what was going on, and she wondered how she would approach Rocky with the question of why he was being like this.

"It's not my place to talk about it," said Eunwoo when Dami managed to talk to him alone in their room. "Honestly if he hasn't opened up to you about his past on his own yet it's best you ask him yourself," he said. "What if he shuts himself away from me if I ask?" Asked Dami. "He can't," said Eunwoo. "The bond we share with you wouldn't allow him to," he said. "Because we're mates?" Asked Dami. Eunwoo nodded.

"We still haven't talked about where we were going with that yet," Dami said suddenly as she blinked. Eunwoo laughs, shaking his head. "Don't worry about it," he said. "If all works out well we won't have to talk about it," he said.

"Talk to Rocky, who knows he might open up to you and reveal his real name," he said. "Like how yours is Dongmin?" Asked Dami. Eunwoo nodded. "I told you my real name to get you to trust me," he said. "Do you?" He asked.

Dami blinked several times, letting the question sink in. Did she really trust him? There were still things that she couldn't figure out about Eunwoo, and yet everything was screaming at her to trust him with her life. She knew from asking the others that Eunwoo was protective over those he cared about. But to go as far as revealing his real name to her... She wasn't sure.

"I don't know yet," Dami finally answered, looking down at the floor. "I know I should but," she said, sighing. "You're afraid," Eunwoo said, tilting his head to the side. "Yes," admitted Dami as she looked up at Eunwoo. Eunwoo smiled softly as he reached out and tousled her hair affectionately. "It's okay," he said. "It's understandable why you're scared," he said.

"Talk to Rocky," he said. "Maybe he'll open up to you," he added. "I will try," said Dami as she nodded.

 

~



Rocky was ordered to go food shopping so he went, dragging Dami along with him. Dami pushed the cart around while Rocky got the things they needed, the both of them being silent for most of it. Dami was trying to figure out how to approach the subject and Rocky was concentrating on getting the food they needed.

"Rocky..." Dami started, freezing in place as Rocky turned to her. She fought the urge to get lost in the depths of his intense gaze as she tried to form words to speak. "I-I want to know... What has you so cold and distant suddenly?" She asked. Rocky's expression softened slightly as he sighed, turning back to the shelf he was looking at. Dami wondered if he was ever going to say anything as she noticed how tense he was. She was about to say "never mind" when Rocky decided to speak, sighing again as he turned back to the cart to put something in it.

"Well," said Rocky. "Can we talk about this back home?" He asked. Dami nodded. "We can," she said. "Okay," said Rocky as he looked relieved. "This is something that we need to be alone for," he said. "Alright," said Dami as she nodded again.

When they got done shopping Rocky drove home, the both of them sitting in silence. Dami wondered what Rocky would say, as she noticed that he was deep in thought. She knew better than to push him to say something, but she really wanted to know what had him act like this.

Something that Rocky did basically told everyone to leave them alone, with Eunwoo and Jinwoo coming over to take care of the groceries. "Good luck!" Called Eunwoo as Rocky dragged Dami to their room.

Rocky paced around their room as Dami sat on their bed, watching him patiently to see what he would say. "Eunwoo finally got you to say something huh?" Asked Rocky as he turned to Dami. "I was curious, but scared of what you would do if I asked," mumbled Dami. "Ah," said Rocky as he scratched the back of his head. "So what happened?" Asked Dami.

"It's nothing against you," said Rocky. "Or the others," he added. "But seeing Eunwoo's brother again after so long reminded me that I think I still have family left, but I don't know," he said. Dami blinked. "You don't know if your family is alive or not?" She asked. "No," said Rocky as he sighed. "I see," said Dami.

"I don't mean to be dark and depressing but," said Rocky as he scratched the back of his head. "I mean, if Chanwoo and Eunwoo could find their respective brothers then I have some chance right?" He asked. Dami nodded. "Who knows, I can find my family too," she said. Rocky smiled slightly, nodding. "There's that smile," Dami said, giggling as she got up and went to give Rocky a hug. Rocky chuckled slightly, hugging her back before moving away. "I'll try and not be so cold towards the others," he said. "Good," said Dami as she nodded.

"Oh that reminds me!" She said suddenly. Rocky blinked, his head tilting to the side slightly. "What is with everyone and doing that?" Dami asked under her breath as she shook her head. "What is your real name?" She asked, curiously. "Ah?" Asked Rocky as he blinked in confusion.

"Eunwoo said you might tell me if I asked," said Dami as she looked at Rocky expectantly. Rocky sighed. "Damn you Eunwoo," he said, laughing some as he shook his head. "My name is Minhyuk," he said. "Rocky is a nickname, like how everyone calls Eunwoo, Eunwoo," he said. "I see," said Dami.

"Who gave you the nickname?" She asked. "Hm... I think it was my older brother," said Rocky. "But like Eunwoo until very recently, I haven't seen him since the wars started," he said. "I see," said Dami.

"So you use the name for that reason?" She asked. "What do you mean?" Asked Rocky as he looked confused. "I mean you use the nickname in memory of your older brother right?" Asked Dami. "Ah," said Rocky. "I do," he said. "I see," said Dami.

 

~



"The talk went well then?" Asked Eunwoo as they were lying in bed watching a movie. "It did," said Rocky. Dami nodded in agreement. "That's good," said Eunwoo.

"Wooseok wanted to meet you both," he said. "Oh," said Rocky. Dami blinked. "This soon?" She asked. "Well, he already knows Rocky," said Eunwoo. "But now he wants to meet Dami," he said. "I see," said Rocky. "What animal did he end up choosing? I couldn't tell at first," he said. "Polar bear," said Eunwoo. Rocky laughs. "That doesn't suit him at all," he said. Eunwoo chuckled some. "No, it doesn't," he said.