Chapter 2

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

"Sanha, can we switch rooms?" Asked Rocky as he stood in the doorway into Eunwoo and Sanha's room. "What brought this on?" Asked Sanha as he looked confused. Rocky scratched the back of his head. "I um," he said. "It's alright," said Eunwoo as he appeared behind Rocky. "I said it was okay," he said. "Oh," said Sanha as he sighed. "Alright," he said. "What does Jinwoo say?" He asked. "He was fine with it as long as Moonbin was okay with it," said Eunwoo. "Moonbin said it was up to you and I," he said. "Alright," said Sanha. "Let me get to moving my things," he said as he went to do so. Rocky went to move his things as Eunwoo and Jinwoo went to help Sanha and Rocky respectively.

Rocky sat in his new bed, puffing out a sigh as he examined the room. "Not what you expected hm?" Eunwoo asked with a slight chuckle. "They're going to question why I decided to switch rooms," said Rocky. Eunwoo sighed. "They'll get their answer soon enough," he said. "I know," said Rocky.

"Mind telling me the need to switch rooms?" Asked Moonbin as he met Eunwoo and Rocky in their room. "Well,"said Rocky as he let out a sigh. "During the rescue mission a few nights ago some unexpected... Things came up," he said. "What kind of things?" Asked Moonbin. "We both found our mate in one of the rescued humans," said Eunwoo as he kept his expression guarded. Moonbin regarded Eunwoo with a blank expression, his eyebrow raising in question.

"Yixing talked to me recently, concerning the human," said Eunwoo. "The others are fine, but he thinks that this particular human needs to be in our care," he said. "I see," said Moonbin. "This is why you decided to switch rooms then," he said. "Yes," said Rocky. Moonbin sighed. "Alright," he said. "We'll see what happens," he said.

"But," he said. "If she's going to be staying here she works," he said. "And if the doctor says that she won't be ready for work so soon?" Asked Rocky. "That's fine," said Moonbin as he looked at Eunwoo. Eunwoo nodded. "Yixing said to give her a couple weeks," he said. "Alright, a couple weeks then," said Moonbin. "After that she's working with either of you, or Yoonbin and Jeongwoo," he said. "Ricky's taking whoever's not due for missions's spot," he said.

"I have hospital duties tomorrow," said Eunwoo. "We can alternate days," said Rocky. "In case I'm needed for missions," he added. "When is the human due to be released?" Asked Moonbin. "Tomorrow, I have a short shift," said Eunwoo. Moonbin hummed. "Alright," he said. "Until she's ready to work she's your responsibility," he said.

"Yixing told you who it was didn't he?" Asked Eunwoo. "Kind of," said Moonbin. "Blood dens usually consists of human females anyway," he added. "Ah, that's true," said Rocky. "I'll leave you two be then," said Moonbin as he nodded. "Take care of her," he said before laving the room.

"I wonder what the others will think?" Asked Rocky. "It's going to be a very interesting next few days that's for sure," said Eunwoo as he let out a sigh. "Mhm," said Rocky.

 

~



Eunwoo only ever really had three personalities. The stoic and often cold personality that was the most commonly seen. Then there was the beta personality, only ever used when in important situations, i.e. when he was in important meetings with Moonbin and Rocky.

The last one, a personality that clashed with the two main personalities, was one Eunwoo reserved for only his human patients. It was his soft and caring side, a relic from his human days where he was taking care of his younger brother before the first world war started. The only person to ever witness this side of him in the pack was MJ, who he had grown up with.

"You should act like this more often," said Yixing as he stood behind Eunwoo as he checked on one of the other patients. "You know my reasoning for keeping this side of me away," said Eunwoo. "Showing emotions isn't a sign of weakness Eunwoo," said Yixing.

"How's she been?" Asked Eunwoo as he finished checking on his current patient. "Just fine, she'll be released after your shift," said Yixing. Eunwoo nodded. "I'll be around," he said before going to check the other patients.

 

~



Rocky was known for two things, being one of their best fighters and being cold and indifferent. However, now he felt the need to drop everything he built up over the years to go see Dami. Everyone had their soft and caring side but Rocky wasn't known for it. He also knew that Eunwoo wasn't known for it either but it was hard to not go after this feeling.

"You going to pick up Eunwoo?" Asked Moonbin as he was working with Rocky, Jeongwoo and Ricky. "Yeah," said Rocky. "When is he due to leave?" Asked Moonbin. "Soon," said Rocky.

"So what's been going on?" Asked Ricky. "A lot," said Rocky. "I'm just glad to be home from missions," he said. "I heard you picked up a human," said Ricky. "Damn word gets around fast," cursed Rocky. "But yes," he said, sighing as he scratched the back of his head. "She'll be staying with us for a while," he said. "I'm sure you haven't seen what the aftermath of a blood den can do to the human victims but," he said, shrugging. "They thought she'd be better off in your care?" Asked Ricky. Rocky nodded.

Rocky soon got a text from Eunwoo, telling him to bring the jeep when Rocky headed over to pick them up. "Oh, I need to bring the jeep," he said. "It'll be easier on the human Eunwoo says," he said. "Alright, it looks like we're walking home tonight," said Moonbin. "We'll get dinner on the way back," said Rocky. Moonbin nodded and tossed him the keys. Rocky nodded and left with the Jeep, heading to the hospital.

 

~



Eunwoo went to help Dami gather what little things she had and gave her some clothes she would fit in. "Dami," he said. "Yes?" Asked Dami once she came out of the bathroom after getting changed. "I don't know if you know this but you are staying with a few friends and I," said Eunwoo. "Will they accept me?" Asked Dami as she looked unsure. "They will," said Eunwoo. Dami hummed in response.

"Besides, if you can get Rocky and I to drop our usual cold facade, then you'll do fine with the others," said Eunwoo as he grabbed her bag of things. "Ready to go?" He asked. "No, but," Dami said with a sigh. "Let's go," she said. Eunwoo gave a gentle smile in encouragement before motioning for her to go ahead, following her out to the entrance.

Rocky stood there, leaning against the jeep with a blank expression as he watched the entrance. When he saw Eunwoo and Dami walk out of the entrance Rocky's expression softened as he saw Dami. "We've been tasked to get dinner," he said. "In exchange for using the jeep I'm guessing," said Eunwoo as he scratched the back of his head. "Yeah," said Rocky as he moved away from the jeep and went to open the trunk. Eunwoo went to put the bags in the trunk, with Rocky closing the trunk afterwards, the both of them turning to Dami.

"Do you want shotgun?" Asked Eunwoo. "No- it's okay," said Dami. "I'll be fine in the backseat, you're just getting dinner for your friends," she said. "We tend to get a lot of food," said Eunwoo as he scratched the back of his head. "But alright," he said. "You're driving," said Rocky, earning a snort from Eunwoo. "Alright," said Eunwoo as he went to the driver's side. Rocky opened the backdoor for Dami and helped her climb in before closing the door. After making sure everyone was comfortable Eunwoo started the jeep and drove off, heading off to get dinner before heading home.

 

~



The night was full of surprises for Dami, as everyone was was being welcoming towards her. Looks of pity passed over everyone but it was one of the younger boys, she remembered that he introduced himself as Sanha, dragged her to sit down and eat dinner with him, much to the dismay of both Eunwoo and Rocky. She found herself enjoying dinner, listening to the others talk about their day.

It was no surprise to Dami that she ended up in Eunwoo and Rocky's room for the night. "We have no other rooms open," explained Eunwoo. "So you can have my bed or Rocky's bed," he said. "I-I'm fine with the floor," said Dami. "No no," said Eunwoo. "I insist," he said.

"How about we push the beds together?" Suggested Rocky as he walked into the room, looking at Eunwoo then at Dami. "We can do that," said Eunwoo. "I-If it's not too much trouble," said Dami. "It's not," said Eunwoo as he and Rocky went to clear the middle of the room before pushing the beds close together, ending up with both mattresses on the floor.

The noise attracted Moonbin and Jinwoo who came to see what was going on. "Need help?" Asked Jinwoo, causing Dami to jump in surprise before turning to Jinwoo and Moonbin who were standing in the doorway. "We're good here," said Eunwoo as he turned to face Moonbin. "Yeah, we're good here," said Rocky. "Goodnight then," said Moonbin. "Goodnight," said Eunwoo and Rocky. Moonbin nodded and left, though Jinwoo stayed, leaning against the doorframe to observe Dami.

Was that a growl? Dami blinked as she heard a barely concealed growl come from Rocky's direction. "Is there something you need Jinwoo?" Asked Eunwoo. "No, no," said Jinwoo as he moved away from the doorframe. "Goodnight then," he said, going back to his room. Rocky went to close the door, shaking his head.

Both Rocky and Eunwoo insisted that she slept between them, not taking no for an answer. It was how Dami ended up in the middle of the bed, with the two boys sleeping on either side of her. Somewhere in the back of her mind a voice was telling her to trust these two. It wouldn't help her sleep anytime soon but she would try, closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep with her dreams consisting of foxes.