Chapter 12

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

"So..." said Jinhyuk as he studied Rocky. "I'm not the person you knew from before huh?" Asked Rocky as he crossed his arms. "No, you're so much different now," said Jinhyuk. "A lot has changed," said Wooseok. "I told you that it'd be different when we met them again," he said, moving to get up. "I'll be over there," he said, gesturing to where Kuhn, Kogyeol and Xiao were sitting. "Just you know, say something when you're done having this reunion," he said. Jinhyuk nodded and Wooseok walked over to the table and sat down, pretending to do something on his phone.

"When did you get the scar?" Asked Jinhyuk as he noticed the scar going over Rocky's face. "A couple years ago? I don't remember," said Rocky as he shrugged. "It was just before the mission I had gone to rescue Dami anyway," he said. "You're a vampire hunter then?" Asked Jinhyuk. Rocky nodded.

"What I don't understand is why you didn't..." Started Jinhyuk before Rocky stopped him with a growl. "Don't," said Rocky as his expression turned cold. "Don't finish that sentence," he said. Jinhyuk put up his hands in surrender. "Alright alright," he said. "But like, why?" He asked. "Why what?" Asked Rocky as he relaxed slightly, moving to where he was facing the window.

"Why become a vampire hunter? There's better jobs out there," said Jinhyuk, earning a snort from just about everyone in the coffee shop. "You clearly haven't heard of the Italy runs then," Rocky said with a shake of his head. "This shop here? It's just secondary income," he said, gesturing to the coffee shop as a whole. "It's a placeholder, much more goes on behind the scenes," he said. "I see," said Jinhyuk.

"So, a human huh?" Asked Jinhyuk, causing Rocky to hum in response. "It's kind of shocking to be honest," he said, as Rocky turned his head to look at Jinhyuk. "You and Eunwoo both found your mates in her," he said. "Does this mean you'll finally settle down?" He asked. "Probably not," said Rocky. "Our jobs are important, and as long as she's safe we'll continue hunting vampires," he said. "At least Eunwoo sort of retired, but he's working as a doctor now," he said.

"I always had a hunch that he would become a medic of sorts," said Jinhyuk. "He's good at his job," said Rocky as he looked out the window again. "Though he wasn't really a part of the medical field until recently," he said. "More due to a personal reason," he added. "I see," said Jinhyuk.

"Well, enough about Eunwoo and I," said Rocky as he turned in his seat, facing Jinhyuk as he rested his elbows on the table with his fingers intertwined and his chin resting on his thumbs. "Where have you been all these years hm?" He asked. "In the US, until recently anyway," said Jinhyuk. "We tried to come back after the wars but Wooseok became the alpha of a pack all of the sudden," he said. "I see," said Rocky.

"Why did you ever go with the fox as your animal form anyway?" Asked Jinhyuk. "Influenced," said Rocky. "Not like you could fare any better, you ended up as a lynx," he said. "I think I might be the last one," said Jinhyuk. "Ah, Joshua did stop changing," hummed Rocky as he nodded.

Their conversation was cut short by a very pissed off looking 'shifter entering the coffee shop. "Oh, now the cavalry arrives," said Wooseok as he stood. "If the cavalry arrived Changhyun would be here," said the new arrival. "Or Sunyoul," added Kogyeol as he sighed, standing.

"What is it now Gyujin?" Asked Wooseok. "They wouldn't believe me when I told them you were here," said Gyujin. "Well, now they should," said Xiao as he shook his head. "Oi," said Jinhwan. "Care to take this outside please?" He called. "Ah, sorry," said Wooseok as he bowed to Jinhwan. "We'll do that," he said before going to push Gyujin outside with Kogyeol following after them.

"Well," said Jinhyuk as he snickered some. "Jinwook would've come by I'm sure," said Xiao as he went back to pretending to do something on his phone. "Please, only Gyujin has any real favors with Wooseok right now," said Jinhyuk as Rocky chuckled slightly.

"Your pack sounds like a bunch of fun people," said Rocky. "At least it's not yours where it's split in half between werewolves and 'shifters," said Jinhyuk. "Not that there's anything wrong with that," he added quickly. "We're actually pretty laid back," said Rocky. "If important decisions happen that's when it turns serious," he said.

"We are too, normally," said Jinhyuk as he shrugged. "But Wooseok insisted on coming over to finally talk to Eunwoo," he said. "The whole thing with your mate is great timing, since we've been working with the pack of werewolves that were here before," he said. "We haven't heard much from them," said Rocky. "Ah, that's because they normally work with one of our other pack members, who was out on missions until recently," said Jinhyuk.

"Missions?" Asked Rocky. "We're not exactly vampire hunters, but we work with them," said Jinhyuk. "It was a bit odd to see Mashiho on our lands too, when he showed up, but he was looking for packs that want to help find blood dens," he said. "I see," said Rocky. "And Wooseok volunteered?" He asked. Jinhyuk nodded. "Figured it'd get us to you somehow, and I guess it did," he said. Rocky hummed, nodding.

Wooseok walked back into the coffee shop, interrupting the conversation as he sighed rather loudly. "I was enjoying time away from the pack, but we need to go," he said. "Something came up, and we're needed," he said. "Damn, vacations are always being cut short," Xiao said with a scowl as he stood. "Good luck then," said Rocky as he turned to Jinhyuk. "Yeah, same to you," said Jinhyuk as he nodded, standing and making sure he had his things.

As they turned to leave Jinhyuk turned back to Rocky. "Take care of her will you? I'd hate to come back and find out something happened," he said before leaving with the others. Rocky was left to sit there in thought as he leaned back in his chair. Was that Jinhyuk giving his approval?