Chapter 18

A Tale of Two 'Shifters

When Dami was released from the hospital Sanggyun and Jeongwoo had been the ones to come get her as everyone else was too busy. Eunwoo was the one to see them go, as he was working again, and Dami knew to trust Sanggyun and Jeongwoo when Eunwoo nodded to them. She remembered Jeongwoo from the coffee shop and Sanggyun had also been there a few times.

"Sorry about the others not being here to get you," said Sanggyun as he drove to the coffee shop with Jeongwoo in the backseat while Dami was in the passenger seat. "It's okay," said Dami. "I know they've been busy, with missions and things," she said.

"How are you feeling now that you're out of the hospital?" Asked Sanggyun. "Could be better," said Dami as she rubbed her arms. "But I'm okay," she said. "That's good," said Sanggyun. "We'll be at the coffee shop today okay? Just relax," he said. Dami nodded.

"Hey you three," said Yunhyeong as he stood at the counter when Sanggyun, Dami and Jeongwoo walked into the coffee shop. "Jeongwoo you're making drinks today," he said. Jeongwoo nodded and went to grab an apron. "Don't fall behind Chunji," Sanggyun said with a snicker. "I'm getting better at this, sue me," grumbled Chunji as he shook his head. Yunhyeong chuckled some. "The usual then?" He asked. "Please," said Sanggyun as he went to pay for it. Yunhyeong processed the order and handed back the change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. "Take it easy alright?" He asked Dami. "I will," said Dami. Sanggyun nodded and went to one of the comfy seats near the windows with Dami sitting in the other chair beside Sanggyun's, curling up in her chair and doing something on her phone.

Ricky walked over with their drinks, nodding to Sanggyun and Dami as he placed the cups down on the table. "Relaxing day hm?" He asked. "Yep," said Sanggyun. Dami nodded. "Good," said Ricky before he walked away.

 

~



A couple months later Dami was due to have a check up, and since Eunwoo couldn't be there due to policy reasons Jinhwan had accompanied her. It seemed the birth control was still working, as the pregnancy tests came back negative but that was fine for Dami. She wasn't sure if she could keep the baby despite the reassurances from Eunwoo and Rocky that they were fine with it if she had turned out to be pregnant.

Yixing himself had come to check on her, as Hongseok was off the clock since Eunwoo was working. "I'll be right outside the room okay?" Asked Jinhwan as they were escorted to a room. Dami nodded and entered the room with the nurse checking her vitals after she sat down.

"Hello Dami," said Yixing as he entered the room after the nurse left. "How are you today?" He asked. "A lot better," said Dami as she nodded. "Did the nightmares stop?" Asked Yixing. "Yes," said Dami. "What helped?" Asked Yixing. "Jinhwan was in the same room," said Dami. "We tried it as an experiment," she added. "Because sometimes the others are the same way, and having someone in the same room as them helped," she said. "That's good," said Yixing as he wrote something down on a chart.

"Well," said Yixing. "Your vitals are good, are you still taking birth control?" He asked. "Yes," said Dami. "I'll put in a prescription for you," said Yixing as he wrote down some more things. Dami nodded.

"How are you mentally?" Asked Yixing as he turned to Dami. "I'm still scared to go out on my own," said Dami. "B-But I'm working again," she added. "Being around familiar faces has helped a lot with me working up the courage to work," she said. "The others are patient with me, they've been making sure I'm okay with the tasks given," she said. "That's good," said Yixing as he wrote that down.

"Your refills are going to be sent, the nurse will be here soon with some papers," he said. "Eunwoo is coming by to have lunch with you, and Jinhwan," he said. "So, with that I'll see you in about 4 months okay?" He asked. Dami nodded. Yixing smiled softly and walked over to her. "You're doing great," he said. "A definite change from a couple months ago," he said. "Keep it up alright?" He asked. "You'll recover from this," he said, patting her shoulder before walking out of the room.

Jinhwan walked into the room, scratching the back of his head. "Everything okay?" He asked. Dami nodded. "I think... That longing is back," she said. "Rocky will be back soon I'm sure," said Jinhwan. "He's only radio silent because I think where he is he can't get phone service or internet," he said. Dami nodded.

Eunwoo walked in with the nurse as she handed Jinhwan the papers, bowing and leaving them be. "Let's go get lunch then?" Asked Eunwoo. "Sure," said Jinhwan. Dami nodded. "I am hungry," she said. "Let's go then," said Eunwoo before he left the room. Dami and Jinhwan followed after her.

"So what did Moonbin think when you said you were retiring?" Asked Jinhwan as they sat around a table after getting food. "He was okay with it," said Eunwoo as he shrugged. "To be honest I think he saw it coming," said Dami. "With everything that happened anyway," she added.

"You are the first to retire, how does that make you feel?" Asked Jinhwan. "Relieved? I think that's the best way to put it," said Eunwoo. "I've been wanting to retire for a while, but with everything that's happened I couldn't," he said.

"Do you think Rocky will retire too?" Asked Dami. "Doubtful," said Eunwoo. "His skills as a fighter are needed," he said. "If he retired then he'd have a good reason to," he said, taking a bite of food. Dami hummed, nodding as she drank some water.

 

~



A few days later Rocky was home, and Dami tackled him as soon as he arrived and closed the door, burying her face in his back. "I missed you," Dami said, her voice muffled. Rocky laughs. "Hey," he said. "I missed you too," he said, turning and ruffling her hair. "I'm sorry I didn't come get you from the station," said Dami as she moved away. "It's okay," said Rocky.

"Where's Eunwoo?" He asked. "Upstairs, I think it's time we had that talk," said Dami. "Ah, that's why there's no one home except you two," said Rocky as he nodded. "Let's go have that talk," he said, picking up his bags and heading upstairs. Dami followed after him.

"Welcome back," said Eunwoo as he sat on the edge of their bed. "Hey," said Rocky as he set his bag down. "So the talk is happening huh?" He asked. "I think I'm ready," said Dami. "Good, because I have an announcement," said Rocky.

"I think I'm okay with things," said Dami. "There's some things I will never be comfortable with but," she said, looking down. "I want to make this work," she said, looking up at Eunwoo then Rocky. "I think given time we'll have everything worked out," said Eunwoo. "So I'm okay with taking things slow," he said. "Same," said Rocky. "Especially considering that I'm going to be around a lot more," he said.

"Does that mean?" Asked Dami as her eyes widened. "Yes, I'm officially retiring," said Rocky as he chuckled slightly, scratching the side of his chin. "Those missions were my last ones," he said. "I'll be working at the coffee shop as a permanent employee now," he said. "That way when Chanwoo an everyone else is out, I'll be here to man the information network," he said.

"You'll both be around more," said Dami. "Yes," said Eunwoo. "I'm glad," said Dami as she smiled. Rocky laughs, going to give her a hug. Eunwoo got up and walked over, giving Dami a hug. "To our future," he said. "To our future," said Dami and Rocky.