FAR AND AWAY

In The Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It was really unexpected. You have no idea how I cried all night."

Seunghyun video called Jiyong late that night. He has been travelling to different countries with Bom, like they planned. But they decided to stay in San Francisco given Bom's condition.

"I'm so happy for you and Bom. Where is she?" Dara asked him.

"I think her body is still adjusting to the pregnancy. She's been sleeping a lot since we confirmed it." The excited dad-to-be shared with them.

"Please take care of her, Seunghyun. It's great that you decided to stop travelling for now. Give my love to Bom. I'm going to check on the twins. You have my husband all to yourself now." She said, planting a kiss on Jiyong's forehead before leaving the room.

 

"How are you holding up?" Seunghyun asked him.

"I still feel like , but having my wife and kids back definitely made things better. So much better." Jiyong shared to his friend.

"I can't believe everything that has been happening now. Regardless if Jaejoong is behind all these, it's still pretty ed up."

Seunghyun have been, at one point, Jaejoong's friend. Pushing the idea to him just like Jiyong did last time made things awkward between them, so he prefers to talk about that guy carefully around Seunghyun.

 

"Dara's been acting weird lately." Something he didn't mean to say out of nowhere.

"Well, her father is in jail right now." Seunghyun said.

"I know. It's just that she's always been strong and confident about their case, but she seems troubled lately. She kept asking if everything's ok. Always asking if there's something wrong." Jiyong checked if his wife is within earshot.

"Could be the stress, man. We all have a breaking point too. Well, is everything really going well?" His friend inquired.

"The kids are doing well. Jennie's waiting to graduate and Mino…" He stopped at the lump on his throat. He hasn't checked on him.

"He sent me an email two days ago. He's asking about work. Look, I don't know why you two are fighting again, but that kid needs to slow down. You need to patch things up, Jiyong. He's been through a lot too. I'm surprised he still can walk around after what people are saying about him."

 

Jiyong felt guilty about Mino. He heard from Jennie that Joohyun is leaving for LA that day.

"Can I ask you a favor?" He asked Seunghyun.

 

--------

 

Mino tried his best not to breakdown in front of Joohyun. They are now at the bistro with her friends at SMI.

"I miss you already, unnie." Yeri spent most of the night clinging to Joohyun's arms.

He decided to stay away from them, to give their farewells. Joohyun is happy to be with her friends, but Mino can see the sadness in her eyes.

"Let us know when you get there. I hope your dad gets well soon." Wendy hugged her before heading out. Taehyun was waiting for her outside.

"I still can't believe that we wasted years of not being friends. This , I'm going to miss you a lot." Seulgi tried to fight her tears too, and it only made Joohyun become more emotional.

"I'll miss hanging out with you in and out of that goddamn elevator." Joy whimpered next. She was trying to hide her tears but gave up upon seeing Yeri bawling.

She then moved to Jennie, who has been crying since she came to the bistro. Hanbin is beside her, rubbing her back to comfort her.

"Thank you for everything, Jen. Thank you for being my friend. I'll see you soon, I promise." Joohyun hugged her.

"Please take care of your brother for me." She whispered to her before letting her go.

 

The other staff members of the bistro bid her goodbye, as well. Seunghoon gave her a big hug and lifted her off the floor for a bit. "We're going to miss our favorite customer."

"If you have any questions about your father, don't hesitate to ask me, ok?" Seungyoon told her.

"Please take care of yourself there too. Come back to us soon." Jinwoo rounded up the farewells.

Mino saw Junhoe crumbling in a corner. Joohyun walked towards him and kissed the side of his head affectionately.

"Thank you for everything, Junhoe. Thank you for being my boyfriend without the benefits." She smiled when Junhoe suddenly snorted at what she said.

 

Joohyun finally directed her attention to where Mino stood. Quietly, without any words, their hands link and hugged each other.

There is nothing left to be said. They both know that attempting to say a word would only open a floodgate of tears between them.

They made their way outside, and Mino walked with her to his place. The quiet night enveloped between them, their hands squeezing each other.

Joohyun stood by the window of his living room as soon as they got there. It was the first time they were left alone since Suzy lived with her.

Mino walked towards her and kissed the side of her neck. She held his arms and wrapped it around her waist, her head resting on his chest.

"I'm doing the right thing for my father, but I can't help thinking how I've also hated him most of my life. Now I'm leaving the man who has loved me unconditionally to tend to his needs." She turned around and cupped his face.

"Tell me to stay, and I will." Her eyes glistening in tears.

"You know how much I wanted you to just stay here with me, but that's not the right thing to do." Mino breathed closely to her, brushing his lips on hers.

"Why does it feel so wrong to do the right thing?" Joohyun collapsed on his chest and started crying.

"Everything will be fine, bae. We will make us work, remember?" Mino broke apart from her and held her face.

"What if things don't work out the way we wanted to?"

"That won't happ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter