: Closed door

On time, there's just never enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Much to Sakura’s relief, Eunbi suavely moves away and grins. “You.” She pauses. “Almost made a big mess.” She smirks.

 

Sakura laughs awkwardly. “Thank goodness for your fast reflex. Otherwise, both of us will be exercising after that big meal.”

 

“Well even if it fell, I wouldn’t be the one cleaning up because it wasn’t me who nearly tipped it over.” Eunbi grins mischievously.

 

Sakura knows that Eunbi has intentionally changed the atmosphere and follows along the playful spirit. “Well it wasn’t me who placed it in such a precarious location.” Sakura mockingly flips her hair and continues to clean up.

 

Provoked by Sakura’s cheekiness, Eunbi pokes Sakura. “It is you who does not have spatial awareness.”

 

“I made you this meal.”

 

“I lent you my soy bean paste.”

 

“I hate you.”

 

Sakura bursts out in laughter at her lousy retort. Eunbi also quickly breaks into a fit of laughter. It took awhile before the girls resume their natural breathing momentum.

 

“My stomach hurts so bad.”

 

“Me too. But that was one good laugh.”

 

“Let’s pack up fast. We both have early morning classes tomorrow.”

 

Needless to say, the girls happily cleaned up the kitchen, bid goodnight and each went to bed. That night Eunbi lies in bed with a smile, mentally praising herself for playing it cool just now and dozes off to sleep subconsciously thinking about Sakura’s entrancing big brown eyes. Sakura also heads to sleep with a smile, happy that Eunbi enjoyed her cooking.

 

The school term gets underway and the girls each get busier with their respective works. Having shared their schedule with one another, they each take turn to cook and with each meal, they learn more about each other. Sakura introduced “umeboshi” to Eunbi who cringed the first time she ate it but after multiple attempts, the disgust reduced. Staying together naturally brings about certain frictions like Sakura’s habit for leaving her breakfast cereal bowl soaked in the sink till she comes home from school to clean it. Eunbi would initially clean it for her but since it happens everyday, it got frustrating for Eunbi.

 

“Why do you not wash your bowl till you come home from your day?”

 

“It’s rushed in the morning plus I don’t want to get my hands dirty.” Sakura shrugs. “It is not like it’s terribly dirty so I just leave it in the sink until I get back.”

 

After some back and forth, they came to a compromise for Sakura to try to wash them whenever she can and for Eunbi to take a step back and understand Sakura’s reasons when it is not cleaned. Thankfully such incidents are all part and parcel of cohabiting in the same space and they value their budding relationship more than these petty things.

 

This morning, Sakura yawns as she walks out of her room. She has no school today so it was really nice to sleep in. She moves about with her morning routine and heads over to the kitchen to prepare her cereal when she spots Eunbi’s closed door. That sight reminded Sakura of the funny incident they had a while back.

 

Since they have each other’s schedule, Sakura is generally aware of when Eunbi has to leave house. Eunbi always leaves her door open when she heads off so one day when she noticed Eunbi’s closed door and checked the time, Sakura started getting concerned. Her teaching class is at 10am and it is already 9.45am. Did she oversleep? Sakura paces in front of Eunbi’s door, contemplating if she should step in. I mean we are close, but are we see-each-other-in-our-bedroom-sleeping close? Soon, Sakura reasoned that saving Eunbi from being fired is better than the awkwardness that will ensue and thus bravely opened the door.

 

As expected, a body lies still under the duvet cover. Sakura inches closer and spots a fraction of Eunbi’s serene expression with the duvet reaching just under her nose. Here goes. Sakura pokes Eunbi’s shoulder, or where she gauges it to be under the duvet. No movement from Eunbi. Sakura decides to take more action, firmly grabs the blanket in the same spot and shakes it.

 

“Eunbi, you are late for work. Wake up.”

 

Eunbi pushes Sakura’s arm away. “Stop touching me.”

 

“You are late, it is 9.50am already.”

Eunbi opens her eyes, “What day is it?”

 

“Thursday, 26 March.”

 

Eunbi pulls the blanket lower, revealing her face. “I don’t have classes today. It’s assignment week so I gave the class a off day to finish up.”

 

“Oh no I am sorry. I remembered your schedule and was worried.” Sakura creases her brows.

 

Eunbi grins weakly. “No worries Sakura, you had good intentions. Can I go back to sleep now?”

 

“Please do! Sorry!” Sakura slowly retreats back with a guilty smile on her face.

 

Right before Sakura is about to exit though, she hears Eunbi from behind. “By the way, that was my you were grabbing.”

 

Sakura stands shell-shocked and awkwardly turns around, “I am sorry again.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter