: Sign of the Times

On time, there's just never enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kwon Eunbi. I want you.”

 

“I am sorry but what?”

 

“I want you.” The sincere expression on Sakura’s face shows she is serious about what she just said.

 

“But first I need to apologise for everything I have done and the words I said. I lied when I said you were wrong.”

 

“You wanted it too.”

Sakura looks Eunbi in the eye. “You are wrong. You made a mistake.”

 

“I lied when I said I don’t feel anything for you.”

 

Sakura sees that but chooses to deliver the final blow.

“Lastly, for thinking that I feel something for you.”

 

Once the words left her, Sakura cannot continue looking at Eunbi in the eye. Guilt overwhelms her because she does not deserve to say these things after everything she has done. Yet she knows if she doesn’t do it tonight, she may never will. Hence she mutters her final words, “I lied because I was scared.”

 

It takes awhile for Eunbi to digest what has just been said. There are so many retorts possible, she either can be real petty and use this opportunity to hurt Sakura back or be the better person. Whichever it is, Eunbi knows one thing for sure - she is still hurt and an apology at this time isn’t going to take the pain away so quickly.

 

Eunbi continues eyeing the girl who clearly is very worn. In her heart Eunbi believes, no matter how much pain Sakura caused her, the Sakura she has come to love has no ill-intentions. Therefore she decides to be the better person.

 

“Sit down.”

 

Sakura tilts her head up, her expression not hiding the confusion.

 

“I feel like it will be a long night and my head hurts from looking up at you.” Eunbi says to the girl who has been standing by the bed since she woke.

 

Sakura follows the orders and meekly sits herself at the end of Eunbi’s bed. Eunbi takes another gulp of water. The alcohol is making her very thirsty and she senses a long conversation coming ahead. “Why are you not scared now?” Eunbi starts the ball rolling.

 

“Because I learnt that I need to start living my life. From you.” Sakura daringly looks at Eunbi again. “I realise how stupid I am. How much pain I am causing simply because I need to be ‘normal’.”

 

Sakura then turns to the window. “Until that night when you first told me about living more than just work, I didn’t realise how obsessed I am over doing well in school and my fear of failure. Tonight it hit me that I actually also applied my rules and model standards on other parts of my life.”

 

Eunbi listens to Sakura’s every word and patiently lets her continue.

 

“I feared being left out... so I feared loving another girl.”

 

Eunbi winces when she hears it. “Don’t say love when you never considered it before.” She cannot resist making that remark, it took a lot of Eunbi to realise she loves Sakura and it is painful to be reminded of how her confession was done. Eunbi glances at the torn pieces of the drawing still in Sakura’s hold. While she is glad for Sakura to come to a discovery of herself, Eunbi needs to protect whatever dignity she has left.

 

Sakura senses Eunbi’s hesitation and knows her skepticism is justified. Sakura knows she needs to prove that she means it. “Teach me.” Sakura asks sincerely.

 

She continues, “I come full circle to know that I enjoy receiving good grades not because I need to, but because it makes me feel good doing well in the field I love. Likewise I enjoy being with you not just because you are a wonderful, attractive, amazing, kind… you get what I mean.” Sakura blushes as this is the first time she vocalizes her true feelings out.

 

“But because you make me feel things nobody has ever done before.”

 

Sakura takes a deep breath and releases the papers. She moves towards Eunbi, because only by taking a big step right now will convince Eunbi to trust her. Sakura gently reaches out for Eunbi’s hands.

 

Eunbi was stunned from the moment Sakura starting moving towards her. She can only stay still and besides she has nowhere else to go. So she watches in a daze as Sakura reaches for her. There are no resistance.

 

“I want you Eunbi, and that is all I know.”

 

“I-” This time, Eunbi doesn’t know how to react. From the hand-holding to that genuine gaze, she desperately wants to scream “yes!” but her rational mind keeps reminding her not to.

 

Seeing Eunbi too stunned to respond relaxes Sakura. She was scared that Eunbi would flat out question her like before. Instead this real reaction reassures Sakura that Eunbi still has feelings for her and she is contended with that.

 

“I know I hurt you badly. Nobody’s confession should have been put down in that manner like how I did. So I don’t expect you to give me any reply because I definitely don’t deserve one now.” Sakura looks at Eunbi earnestly. “But I will daringly ask you for something else and I hope you can do that for me.”

 

Sakura tightened her grip on Eunbi. “I don’t want you to stay out anymore. If you are uncomfortable with staying together, it is only right for me to leave. But please don’t leave again after tonight?”

 

Eunbi knows that Sakura is trying to make up for her mistakes and the truth is, her heart is still fluttering from Sakura’s confession and her resolute statement asking her not to leave does not help with that. Thus Eunbi decides to reply playfully to ease the seriousness in the room.

 

“I can’t even go to school?”

 

Sakura crakes a smiles for the first time that night. Eunbi’s cheeky reply, although said with a nonchalant expression, hints at the possibility that they are going to be alright. Likewise, Sakura gives a witty reply. “Well maybe after you get rid of the alcohol stench?”

 

Eunbi swiftly removes her hands from Sakura’s hold and lifts her own shirt. She smells herself. “I don’t smell!” She exclaims defensively.

 

“If you say so.” Sakura chuckles.

 

Eunbi gets out of the bed and Sakura scoots aside. “Okay then please get out of my room, I want to bathe before I get more complains.” Sakura obliges, relieved that the night is changing for the better. Then she sees the torn drawing on the bed, unsure how to resolve that.

 

Eunbi follows Sakura’s line of sight. “Leav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter