Chapter 5

About Us

Coming out from the elevator, he ignores all the stares he received each day since he ever decides to work at the company. 

He walks to Taehyung's office, pushing the glass door, and approach the man behind the huge table who is now has his eyes fix on the documents which he left for the man on Friday.

" There's an issue with the project in Busan. They somehow exceed the approved budget."

He pulls the chair in front of Taehyung as he speaks notifying the man about the issue which he described in the report currently read by his boss.

" Oh, you're here. Yes, I'm looking at it right now."

Leaning back to his chair, Taehyung scratch his neck. He stares the guy across him.

" Did you contact the supplier?"

He spins the pen on his hand, an act he often do when he needs to think of some ideas.

" Well, they insist the cost increase as the project progressing due to tge unexpected needs of more raw materials."

Taehyung furrows at the statement. Something sure is not right.

" That's nonsense!"

He can see Matthew is hesitating.

" What is it, BM?"

Matthew sighes. Leaning hus body to the front, with low voice, he starts to tell Taehyung about something he just discovered yesterday.

" Jaehyung told me, there seems to be someone pocketing the money from the budget."

" What? How? Who?"

" Well, Jae just discovered it last Saturday, and inform me yesterday. You know that supplier, M&D? The owner actually is among Myungsoo's circle of friends."

Hearing the name stirs Taehyung's composure.

" What? So you mean.."

Matthew nods as he continued.

" Maybe he leaks our policy so that the proposal submitted to us from the supplier match our needs, and yeah, they won the tender. Clever isn't it?"

Taehyung smirks. Sure Myungsoo is his cousin too. And by right, if anything ever happen to him, that bastard is the next in line for becoming the heir of Kim Group. But, he never likes how Myungsoo did his deal, prioritizing his friends, and pocketing money.

" That bastard is never learned."

Last time Myungsoo did the same thing behind their back, Taehyung had warned him to stop before they let grandpa know. But, seems like they really need to teach that mama boy a lesson.

" And he got the guts to ask for the position as director of Kim Entertainment."

Realizing he just spill the beans, Taehyung clears his throat and lean to his table again, pretending to look for something on his IPad.

" Kim what?"

Matthew raise his brows.

" Is that what being discussed in the last family meeting?"

He looks at the man. Maybe, that's what Taehyung been trying to tell him last Saturday. 

" Ok, I can't keep anything out from you, right?"

Taehyung lean back to his chair again when he saw Matthew glare on him.

" Grandpa wants to establish new company. The entertainment one. And he want you to lead the company."

In one breath, he told his cousin.

" And I guess none of them wanted me to be one right? Not even Ms. Kim Jiyeon?"

Hearing Matthew mentioning the name of his cousin's own mother, he sigh.

" Don't think too much. After all, grandpa has the final decision."

Matthew smiles bitterly. He knew it. Apart from Taehyung and his cousin's parents, no one will ever be at his side. Even his mother.

Sometimes he wonder, maybe it is really the best if he is the one who died during the car accident twenty-years ago, instead of his younger brother, Minseok.. 

" Nah, no one ever wanted a dirty blood like me to lead a company. I know my place, Tae.." 

Taehyung tries to hold back his tears. It is nothing new. Ever since Matthew was born that boy had been receiving cold treatment from all. 

Yes, Aunt Jiyeon is Matthew birth mother. But, he was born after one dark unfortunate incident that happened to Aunt Jiyeon when she was still studying in Manchester. Thus, Matthew still bore the Kim family name since Aunt Jiyeon husband never wanted him in the family. 

And twenty-years ago, Aunt Jiyeon's  husband and his second-born son, Minseok passed away after a car accident. Matthew was in the car with them, but only he was saved. 

That's why ever since then, he was labelled as a jinx in the family. No one welcomes him. Accept Taehyung and his parents, especially Taehyung since they are same-age. 

" Tae, should I resign?"

Matthew's question made his brows knitted.

" Maybe it is better if I just love freely like before. Wandering around. Spending Kim's fortune like no tomorrow."

Matthew smiles bitterly. That is how he was before Taehyung persuade him to work with him.

" You're doing fine now, BM."

He still remember how wild he was before. There was never a day that he hasn't came home dead drunk. At some point, he even do drugs, not until his grandpa found out and nearly die due to the heart attack. After he swore not to associate himself with drugs. He began to cut down his alcoholism. 

And when Taehyung returned from London four years ago, his cousin proposed for them to work together. Of course, their status is different in the family, thus he works as Taehyung's PA instead since that is the most comfortable thing for him to do even when Taehyung insisted that he should take the team leader post. But, he knows his place. Even when grandpa agrees with Taehyung's proposition of having him work im the company, he knows he is never welcome. Even his mother never please with his existence in the group although they work in different company as Taehyung's is the director of Kim's Property while his mother is Kim's Textile.

" Let's stop talking about this. I'm so sorry for bringing the family meeting matters. I need to know how reliable is Jaehyung's info before I can report it to grandpa. I don't think we should be soft on Myungsoo like before anymore."

Realizing Matthew's feeling down, Taehyung tries to change the topic. He never want his cousin to think too much.

" His informer works with the supplier. Woman. You know how he works. But, I'll ask him to investigate further."

Taehyung rubs his chin. Jaehyung is another rich kid like Jiwoo. He wants to live a free and easy life. But still, his handsome face often used by Matthew to dig some information whenever needed. 

" And remind Jae to be careful. You too. Remember, most of the times women are way smarter than men."