Two

THE LIFE WE HAD

 

 

***


I come out from the car and walked past the lawn where the workers from the event-planning agency are busy with the canopies, flowers and whatnot.  


It has been two month since the dinner tragedy and now everyone is frantic with all the wedding preparations. Only important people were invited according to my dad and also on my own personal request, which consist of small numbers of my dad major business partners and close relatives from both side of the family. I may say it will be a small event but almost a thousand cards were printed and already sent to their respective name.


I don't even tell Mi Young bout this event. A thousand guests and I still want to keep this matter minimal among people. I have called her parents in advance and honestly plead them not to say anything to Mi young, they were puzzled but agree to it. Maybe someday I will tell Mi young myself. Maybe. After all of this end, and the marriage contract I will be signing be nothing but a phase I want to forget.


"Hye Mi!" I turned and saw my mom, walking hurriedly towards me; I tried to fake a smile but failed.
"Yes mom?"
"Are you going anywhere after this?"
"No mom, why?"
"Good, Jonghyun will come to take you out this evening"
"Who?"
"Honey, Kim Jonghyun, your fiancée. Aishhh, it's been two months hun; I thought you already know him, his name at least"

Just hearing his name felt like the life is forcing out from my body for an outbreak.

"Sorry mom"
"It’s okay dear, I know you still can't accept this but please just get ready for him to fetch you"
"What are we going out for?" In all means, I would avoid any meeting face to face with him every time I could reject it.


"Buying the wedding rings of course, honey, the wedding is in a week, we have to get everything ready" A week left? Oh, holy how time flies.


"Okay mom, what time?" I ask dryly,
"Why don't you ask him?"
"Mom, I don't have his number. You can help me to ask him right? Lemme get a rest, today is really tiring"
"Okay honey,”


I kiss my mother and make my way inside the house. Surrounded by strangers walking in and out of the house, unfamiliar voices shouting from every corner makes me wearier than I already am. Really, I am tired. Of everything.

 

 

***The start of the nightmare

"Well dear, we're here to discuss bout Jonghyun and your marriage"


Marriage? Are they ing kidding me? There is no way I am getting married. I am ing 17 for heaven sake!


"Oh my god, Hye Mi, are you okay?" my mother suddenly grab my hand, I felt a stinging pain in my palm and it's bleeding. And then I recall what happened, I’m grasping the glass too hard until it cracked just like my brain right now; I quickly wipe my hand with the napkin and excuse myself,


"Oh I’m sorry. Excuse me first, I need a ladies" without waiting any longer I scurried away like a roach in the corridor and disappear behind the ladies door.


I put my palm under the running tap and watch the crimson liquid flow away, luckily it just a small cut, so it does not hurt that much.. What's hurting me right now is my parent, how can they do this to me? Marrying me to someone, I don't even know...Without even asking my opinion bout it. How much do I worth that my words are not even in their considerations?
 I admit that I said that guy is freaking hot but that just it, just a spur in the moment! He doesn’t even like me! And he's short too! Hell no I’m marrying a short guy; I want tall kids not an army of minions! And have I commented on his dinosaur like face? That uneven nostril?


UGHHHHH!!!!
I growl loudly. This is not the perfect 17th birthday I’d imagine, this is not birthday car surprise I’d expected, this is not the reality I want!


Realizing I have been in the loo for too long, I close the tap and rinsed my hand, before rampaging my purse, trying to search for a Band-Aid, but whom am I kidding, of course that thing is not there, who in the right mind will expect you to break a glass on your supposed to be birthday dinner? The cut is not that big so I just crumpled a tissue and clenched it in my punch. I make sure that I look just fine before walking out from the toilet...


And just when I think I’ve calmed myself down, Oh my holy freaking coonie cat, I saw that short guy is leaning on the wall in front of the toilet with his head down. He looks like he's in deep thought. If I was in my right mind, I would say that was cool, but since I’m not, I say that he look like failed smug.


I pretend to not seeing him there walk pass him, before he happens to grab a hold on my right wrist. I look back and glared at him, trying to pull my hand off him but he just holds it tighter. He takes out a Band-Aid out of his pocket and gently plastering it on my cut.
None of us trying to break the silence, and when he finished, I snatch my hands away and walking back to the table. With him following me from behind.


My parent look at me with worries but hell, they should. I could have just run to the kitchen, steal a knife from the chef and stab myself. But no, I'm a calm person, with poise and rationality. I will try to convince them not to go further with any of this plan. Yeah, this marriage is not happening and I'll be a normal 17-year-old high school girl, with no ties with anyone.

***end of flashback

 

As anyone can see, all my attempts to make a 'rational talk' with both parents are not a success. They still sticks with their plan in being a family. And now, me in my overused jean and a blouse I didn't know I own are sitting on a couch in the living room, waiting for my so-called fiancée to take me to buy our wedding ring.


*Ding Dong*


I heard someone rings the bell and the maid quickly open the door, revealing my fiancée clad in his casual wear.


"Young miss? Mr. Kim is here"
"Coming" I took a deep breath and walk towards him.
"Thanks" I said to the maid and she went back to her previous work.


We walked in painfully long distance from the house, as he cannot park anywhere near the house as the wedding preparations being held,
"Have you greeted my mom?" I ask, he's answering me with just a slow 'hmmm'... Tch, rude.


All the way to the jewelry store, neither one of us trying to make a conversation. The ride is painfully quiet and dare I say, it’s killing my brain cell. He don't even bother to let the radio on and of course, I don't know him too well to touch anything in his car. I know that both of us were forced to do this and we mutually hate this plan but can he at least act like a little bit friendly? Damn him with his pride or whatsoever. It's not that I don't want to chats with him; it’s just that, shouldn't it be the guy who makes the first move and the girl only add the boost? That's the common sense right?  If only I know I will be married this early, I’ll definitely find myself lots of boyfriends before.


Yeah, in my life, I never had a boyfriend, why? because I think I’ll have a lot of time to find one after I finished school or maybe meet someone in college, but no, I got myself a husband while I’m in my high school, unexpected right?


"We’re here" he suddenly spoke, oh he actually have a voice. I unclipped the seatbelt and quickly getting myself out of the car. Without waiting for him, I went in the store first.


"What can I help you miss?" a beautiful lady in a uniform asks me, even though it's hard for me, I still answer her,
"I'm searching for wedding rings" the lady eyes widen, I know what's inside her mind


'She looks so young, why she searches for a wedding ring? She should stay in school' or something along that lines.


"This way miss" she led me to a different department of the jewelry, where all the precious and sacred pieces were.
I look through the display glass, seeing all the relationship binders and trying to pick one. Everything displayed there are beautiful, but nothing special. They just typical wedding rings that almost everyone wears. But why it is so hard for me to choose? Maybe because I always want my wedding rings to be special, meaningful and will bring good feeling by just looking at it.


What is it Hye Mi? Just freaking chooses one. It’s not like you are marrying someone you love, this is arranged marriage. No need to be so detail bout it...


"Found it?" I turn my head and saw him standing in dangerous space from me. I scoot over so he could stand next to me and have more space on my own,
"Not yet. Why don't you choose?" I ask him, really, it would be better if he choose it. It's his family plan anyway.
"Shouldn't it be the bride chooses it? I don't mind really." he shrugged is shoulder, I sighed.
"I don't care too. Why don't we choose a random one? It’s not like we're going to wear it forever"
"Well then"


I was ready to call the lady to get me the ring I randomly pick, when another staff come and carry a tray of rings and a piece of white gold just steal my heart away,
"Wait!" I stop her from placing the tray under the display glass,
"I want to see that rings," I pointed at the rings that caught my attention. From the corner of my eyes, I can see Jonghyun also looking at the rings. The staff put the tray in front of me and my face lit up.
"What about this one?" I showed the ring to Jonghyun and surprisingly he is smiling too. He looks much better when he's smiling, I thought.


It was hexagon shaped rings with small diamonds planted at every curves, the other one has similar design, with the same shape but thicker, clearly for the husband.
 

"It's beautiful, different but that what makes it special" Jonghyun commenting, well, he actually speaks my mind. He pulled out the smaller one and slipped it on my ring finger, and it fits perfectly. I take the other one and copy his action, and it amazingly fits too.


Smiling, I tilt my head up only to meet his gaze. For the first time, we look at each other in the face, and when his eyes met mine, suddenly I felt a burning sensation on my cheek and I quickly look away. Pretending to look at the ring on my finger. One little detail I just realized about my fiancée, he always have this one silver ring on his left pinky. I think he wore it too when we're at the diner.


"I see you have found your ring?" the lady I saw earlier comes to us with a smile.
"I guess we are" Jonghyun answer the lady, both of us pull the ring off our finger and handed it to the lady, she inspecting the rings before her jaw dropped, then cover the split seconds with a smile,
"What is it?" I ask,
"Nothing. You know miss, these rings are quite special, this is specially made by the smith and it’s the only pair he made. He even named it as True Love."


Me and Jonghyun look at the lady awkwardly and just nodded, the lady continue,
"And this is the last rings he made,"
"Why?"
"He's dead so we thought we shall not sell any other ring with this pattern and make the pair as one and only”
"Wow, much meaning?" Jonghyun said sarcastically, the lady chuckled and shook her head,
"Believe me sir, it conveys more that it portrays. Marriage ring is everything but linker that will bind two souls together no matter how far you're forced apart. So, should I wrap this up?"


We ignore the lady words and said 'yes' in unison.

 


***


I stared at my reflection in the full-length mirror; damn I look perfect in this tuxedo. I closed my eyes and take a deep breath. This is it, the day of my doom. Starting from today, I’ll no longer the free Kim Jonghyun but no other than a commitment slave.
To the future wife of mine, Park Hye Mi.
I look at the small silver ring on my pinky and pull it out. It will hurt her if she learn bout you.
A past that I should forget.

 

***


I let out a harsh breath. This is it, the starting of my nightmare. After the words exchange, I will lose all my freedom and welcome, Park Hye Mi, to your mind and soul torture.

 

 

 

***
"Are you Kim Jonghyun, take Park Hye Mi as your lawfully wife, promise to stay loyal with each other during rich or poor, happy or sad, accepting her unconditionally, till death do you parts?"
"I do" Jonghyun respond with no hesitation and firm,


"Are you Park Hye Mi, take Kim Jonghyun as your lawfully husband, promise to stay loyal with each other during rich or poor, happy or sad, accepting him unconditionally, till death do you parts?"


*silence*


Everyone stared at the bride with anticipation, but still, she's not answering. One of the bridesmaids pokes her secretly and brings her back to reality,
"Sorry?"


The priest sighed and starts questioning her once again,
"Are you Park Hye Mi, take Kim Jonghyun as your lawfully husband, promise to stay loyal with each other during rich or poor, happy or sad, accepting him unconditionally, till death do you parts?"
*silence*


"I... I... I d-Do"


The priest sighed in relief before continue,
"You are now husband and wife; you may kiss your bride"

 

 

*****
"Okay guys, smile!" the photographer keeps clicking the shutter, taking picture of the newlyweds. Jonghyun and Hye Mi keep their face straight. There's no annoyance or hatred, just they are not in the mood to smile.


"Guys, this is your big day, smile then" the photographer instruct the couple to smile but still, he only got poker face from the couple. He scratch his back of head, didn't know what to do. Mrs. Park cannot stand any longer and go closer to the bride. She then whispers slowly to her daughter ear, only for them to hear,
"Give the photographer your best smile; don't force it, or tonight I’ll have to force you to wear the y lingerie I bought for you yesterday. You know I will"


Hye Mi shot her mother with her disbelief. Her mother, the caring and the loving one, the one who has been bawling her eyes out in the chapel was threatening her own daughter? Mrs. Park smile smugly before walking away.


"Ready?" the photographer ask for Hye Mi, she look at her mother and Mrs. Park mouthed 'smile now'. Hye Mi stands closely to Jonghyun and speaks in a low voice,
"Can you help me?"
"What?"
"Please put your best smile?"
"Why should I?"
"You have to, or both of us will never get to live peacefully after this"
"H-how...”
"Just smile ok?"
"Ok"


Jonghyun circled his strong arm around Hye Mi slim waist, and both of them with a professional cheery smile face the last camera flash. With that, they got themselves a really nice wedding photo.

 

 

 


Hi again everyone ^^

So here's the second update... for anyone who's celebrating Valentine's Day, you may take it as a valentine's day update :)
 

The responses I got from the previous chapter were really overwhelming and I appreciate the warm welcome guys. I really do.

I honestly would love to see/read more comments/feedbacks from my readers, so, to the silent readers out there reading this A/N, would you mind not become silent for me? ehehehe...

 

<< commenters and subscribers are greatly welcomed>>

 

Me, out!