One

THE LIFE WE HAD

 

It is 7.50 a.m. when my best friend decided to be all hyperactive and jumps on my back, squealing quite over-excitedly may I say,


"Happy Birthday Park Hye Mi!" Mi Young gives me her best bear hug before handing me a nicely wrapped square box. I would take a lucky slash obvious guess that is my birthday present.


"Thanks Mi young, but haven't I told you there's no need to give me a present? A wish and you continue being my best friend is enough for me"


"Again with your 'no need bla bla bla', Park Hye Mi, I'm your bestie, of course I have to give you something on your birthday, especially on your 17th birthday... duh" Mi young rolled her eyes dramatically. Me and Mi young has been best friend for the longest time of our life and receiving presents from her in all form has been one of the things I wouldn't miss every year, especially Mi young is the type who gives present or something to people she loves without needing any special occassion for it. She's the type who appreciate the tiniest things in life (but then, even a small mistake can be the source of her great depression) and as people can see, she's a very out-going and cheerie girl.


Enough about my best friend, let's go back to my day-of-me-getting-older. Yes, today is my 17th birthday; I can barely believe it actually. I wake up in the morning and ta-dah, I'm 17 now... ahh, it feels like just yesterday I pestered my mom to buy me a car when I’m turning 17. Oh wait, it is yesterday.


"Yeah, yeah... Thanks again Mi young- ah" I accepts the present and squeezed her hand lightly. "Now let’s go to class, I don't want to get any problem with any teacher today because I want to remember this day forever, the first day of my sweet seventeen".


"Ok my exemplary student, let’s go and may today be your best day ever" Mi young chuckled and pull my hand to walk to our class.


-

I like the fact that everything seems to be at their best today. The classes went smoothly today, I don't get any problem with the teachers or my classmates (not that I get problem with them on my 'normal' days) and my learning absolutely went well. Surprisingly, I pay my full attention on my music class today; hitting the keys and notes perfectly, which is definitely against my nature. For most of the time, I either sleep in my music class or just sit at the very back of the class just to escape playing the piano.
Some call it cutting corners, but I just simply not that into music and nothing but forced to take it as my supplement subject because of Mi Young. She's the youngest daughter of a renowned musician and music has been a part of her life. She's a fiddle, just like her mom and I am here in the boring music class just to be her pianist partner.


-

I took a glance on my wristwatch, 2.50 p.m. 10 minutes to go before school end for the day. The house is calling me as I recall my mother told me to come straight home after school because she and my dad got 'something' for me.


--


I was skipping all the way from my room to the kitchen, where my mother already enjoying her breakfast,


"Good morning mom" I said as I went to her and kissed her smooth baby cheek. She kisses me in return and pats my head lovingly. "Morning my birthday girl..." My mother is one who those mothers who loves to make her grown up daughter feels like a little girl...but I like it...
With a silly smile pasted on my face I quickly sit on my chair facing mother and take a glass of milk then sipping it slowly,


"Where is dad, mom?" I asked as the chair usually occupied by my father is empty without the figure of a male in his late thirties reading his morning newspaper while sipping his coffee.


"He has a morning meeting dear, owh and he said 'Happy birthday my baby girl' " Mother smiled apologetically, especially when I pouted.


"Owh, that would be nice if it’s coming from his mouth" grunts me.


My father is always like that, he always missed most of all my important dates. Parent’s day, Family day, School Sports day, my piano recital, and even my birthday. However, I understand he didn't miss all that on purpose. He got to work hard for his family, for my mom and me. I might feel a little upset, but soon I'll forget it because my father never failed to make up all the things he missed.
Moreover, I'm lucky to have a really nice and caring mother whom always there for me to cover the absence of the male figure.


"He's busy dear," she coaxed me.
"I understand mom"... I really do.
"He said he'll be back early today, so all of us can celebrate your birthday, we got a surprise for you...."
"Really? That’s great... oh mom, look at the time, gotta go" I cut her words after my phone alarm rings, well, school time. I stood up and grab my school bag, taking the last sip of my milk.
"At what time your school ends today?" mother suddenly ask, I put the glass away and replied,
"As usual, why?"
"You don't plan on going anywhere with your friends aren't you?"
"No. I'll be back on time. I really gotta go mom, I think Uncle Lee already waiting for me," I hurried to my mom and kiss her goodbye before running from the door,
"Be good dear"

 

-End of flashback-

 

 

3.15 p.m.

I walks out from the school gate and saw driver Lee already waiting for me, he bows and open the car back door for me,
"Uncle, I told you no need to bows or open the door for me, I'm a lot younger than you and I have a perfect pair of arms you know,," I fake a pout, driver Lee just smile at me warmly. I really like driver Lee; he's like my godfather. He takes good care of me since I was a little girl and that is why he gains a lot of love and respect from me. Driver Lee never get married in the first place and I can feel that he already takes me as his own daughter by the way he treats and protects me.
"It's my job, young miss, besides I gladly do this for you,"
"You just wouldn't listen aren't you? ha~, anyway, thank you uncle," I slip into the car, and after he make sure every pieces of me rest completely on the back seat, he closed the door and went to the driver seat; ready to drive me home.


Right when we reached home, I burst into the living room and try to find my parents; I know my dad is home when I saw his car parked in front of the porch.
"Mom? Dad?" nobody answer me, I ran upstairs, to the master bedroom and peeked through the slightly parted door. I spot my mom sitting on the king sized bed with my dad. They seems to have a very serious talk, they rarely act like that before, is there anything happen? What is it?


I'm so curious about their topic so I secretly eavesdropping them,
"Will she agree?" It's my mother voice. I can detect the worries in her voice, she? Are they talking about me?
"Well, she have to" my dad spoke, rubbing my mother's back comfortingly,
"What if she says no?"
"Promise made should be kept, we can't...."
This is getting interesting, I bend forward to hear them better before suddenly my cat, Mako happen to brushed himself at my leg, causing me to yelped from the shock,
"Hye Mi?"


Dang! I'm busted, what to do, what to do. I saw my dad walking away from my mother and come towards me, he looked... nervous?
"Oh hi dad... urmm, I wanna see mom... and you're home early today"  Don't ask, don't ask, don't ask, don't ask, I practically chanting like crazy in my mind, hoping my dad won't ask whether I am eavesdropping them.
"I finished my work early today, come inside. I think your mom have something to give to you" my dad smile softly and walked out from the room, spooning Mako in his big arms. I walked inside my parent bedroom and sit on their bed next to mother. On her lap, lies an enormous box keeping her jewelleries. My eyes caught the shine of a really beautiful necklace with key shaped pendant, somehow it look familiar,


"Hi mom", I look at mother and saw her red puffy eyes, she's been crying but why?
"Mom? What’s wrong?" I ask her, well, this sad atmosphere really doesn't suit my happy-birthday-girl mood. Mother took my hand and examines my fingers before clasping it with hers,
"I can't believe you already 17 dear, it feels just like yesterday when first I touch your matches sticks like fingers. And now, they already as long as mine. Are you growing up well my baby?" Mother face smoothens to a very motherly face. Not that she's not motherly but this time it feels different. It kinda sad but content expression. This moment is rare, sentimental yet touching,
"Mom? What is it? I just turned to 17 mom, nothing changes, and I’m still your baby ok?" I hug mom and put my head on her shoulder,
"You'll always be my baby girl,” mother sniffled a bit and kisses my head, I shifted from her shoulder and smile brightly,


"Mom, no crying on my birthday ok," I caressed her cheek and wipe her tears away, mother smile and look at her jewellery box, pulling out the necklace I eyed minutes ago,
"Here, it's yours" my eye widened, really? Mom giving me this gorgeous necklace? Like seriously?
"Really mom?" Mom nods and wearing it to my neck,
"It's beautiful, thanks mom" I touch the necklace and inspecting the amazing looking key pendant, the design is simple, two hearts joined together with only soft sapphire stones placed perfectly at the middle of the each hearts,
“You used to love this necklace a lot when you're a child. I remember you keep touching it whenever I was holding you" Ah, I remember it now. Mother used to wear this necklace all the time before. I think it was my mother wedding present from grandma.
"Take good care of this necklace dear. Your grandmother gives this to me on my wedding, you're the third generation of this piece, treasure it"


Third generation? Wow...


"Isn't it too early to hand it to me now? I mean, it's not a custom to give this away on the wedding day?"
"It's not and this necklace is yours" mother answer shortly and kiss my forehead, I know I should be happy (hell I am) but there is something with my mother that makes me feel uneasy.
"Gosh mom, you make me feel like I’m getting married tomorrow" I jokingly phrasing, hoping that mom will chuckle at it. However, the expression I got from her is the total opposite,
"I think it’s enough, why don't you go take a bath? and get your best dress dear, we’re going somewhere tonight" mother closed the box and secure it in the metal safety box two feet away from the bed.
"Where are we going?"
"You'll know, go and get yourself ready, make sure you kill the night okay?" back facing me, I can't even guess what kind of expression my mother is making. Is she smiling or...
"Is there any special occasion mom?"
"It is special, it's your birthday baby, and..." mother stop and throw her sight out of the window,
"And?" I ask,
"Nothing, make a move now baby, we don't have much time"


I stand up and walked out from the room with so many things in mind, what's with mother today? She looks fine during breakfast then acting all weird now and just where are we going? Is that so secret until she say nothing bout it?
Are we going to the car store? Kekeke, but why must I dressed beautifully if we just going to the car store? Aishhh~, today definitely doesn't go as I planned.

 

 

7.15 p.m.

Currently, I’m sitting at the back seat of the car with my parent in front. My dad is driving today; it's rare but not a wonder.
I'm dressed in my most feminine dress I’d ever had, a soft purple short dress with a small white gold necklace as the sole accessories. My mother helps me a lot with my hair and makeup as I’m having a big problem in handling them. I had my long hair styled in loose curl and have enough make up to make me look like a real girl. More than going for birthday dinner, it is like going to prom where looking beautiful is all that matter.
It's unpleasant. It's not like I’m a tomboy or anything, I just not really into girl stuff, to me being girl are so lousy, with the makeup and everything, that makes me just ughhhhh....


"Are we there yet?" I ask as the car stopped.
"Yeah" my dad answered, I look outside the car window and saw an enormous restaurant with amazing architecture. So we're going to celebrate my birthday here? then why so secretive?


After my dad handed the car key to the jockey, we walked together inside the restaurant with me behind them as I’m having difficulties walking in these killer heels. The view is more eyes catching inside the restaurant, the decorations are just superb, and the people there all look like they're coming from the upper class with suit and tie everywhere.


"Reservation under Kim?" my dad asks the servitor on the guest list table. This is one of the restaurants where you need to make a reservation before you get a table to eat on. I wonder how high class this place can be, however all aside, reservation under Kim? Why not Park?
"Oh, this way sir" the latter show us the way, leading us to a more private table, I walk closely behind my mom as I saw another man around my dad's age but look a little bit older due to the facial hair sitting on the table we headed to,


"I'm sorry we're late" my dad come to the man and shake his hands, before hugging each other, they look close. My mom also shakes hands with the man,
"Is this the little Hye Mi? You have grown to be a pretty girl as beautiful as your mother" the man look at me with bright smile, how did he know my name? And why he acts like he knows me? Who is this man? That face, I think I remember this man from somewhere but not so clear. Pushing all my curiosity away, I bows and shook his hand.


"Well, have a sit" All of us sits around the sphere table and start to make our order when the waitress reached us. The dinner went on as my parent chats with the man, leaving me alone without no one to talk to. This is totally weird, aren't they supposed to celebrate my birthday? Hello, I’m the birthday girl here. I put down my cutlery neatly on the plate and wipe my mouth with the napkins, as I already lost my appetite. Therefore, I pull out my phone from my purse and start texting Mi young. I don't have to wait long for her reply and we continue to text each other for the rest of the time,

 


8.30 p.m.

I was too absorbed with my phone, didn't realize that someone pull the chair in front of me and sit there. I heard him muttering some sorry and whatnot before my mother called my name,


"Hye Mi?" I look away from my phone straight to my mother,
"Yeah?"
"Introducing you, Kim Jonghyun" I look at the so-called Kim Jonghyun and gasp at the sight in front of me. This Kim Jonghyun believed to be Mr Kim son is a very good-looking fella. Truth to be told, I’d never saw someone with that perfect face bone structures as him in my life. I bows my head and quickly look away, drooling is a possibility I should not doing if I keep looking at him,


"Son, this is Park Hye Mi, remember her?" so he is the man son. Remember me? Have we even met before?
He looked at me for a sec and returned my bows before whispering something to his father, the older shook his head and the son look disappointed. It is a clear signal; I do not worth his second glance.
Hurt feeling aside, this situation is getting more complicated, why must our family dine with this father and son on my birthday?
 My disturbing sense is tingling and something really doesn't feel right.


"Why don't the youngsters go for a walk? The elders here have something important to talk to" My dad suggesting after the waiter cleaned the table and ready to serve the dessert.
What? Me and the hottie? Walk together? After he shows such disinterest on me.
"Sure," that person stood up from his chair and act like a gentleman, ready to pull my chair for me,
"Excuse us" I bow for both parents and walk away with that guy (what is his name again?)


----------------------------


My mind keeps flying back to the dinner table, what is so important until they had to send us away? Are they plotting something against me or what? Ah, I’ll never understand the adults and I don't even got to lay my hand on the chocolate mousse.


"Are you okay?" suddenly after 10 minutes of silence he decided to talk to me,
"Hmmm?"
"You look unhappy"


Hell, I am unhappy, this is my ing birthday and nothing go like I expected. We don't go to the dinner I'm looking forward to and either do we drive to a car store so I can pick my dream car. And your clear refusal to look at me when we're at the table a while back just kill my happiness entirely. I know am not that pretty but I never felt so insulted before.


"I'm just tired" I answered shortly, there's no way I can show how worked out I am just because he didn't like me.
We're now standing at the restaurant veranda at the second floor. We wandered off quite far from our reserved table. I guess this is the ballroom of this restaurant as it got wide ground and music instruments at the corner. There's a pianist playing a popular pieces from Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata I guess and we listened to it while looking at the beautiful view of a fountain under the moonlight glitz (sound cliché isn't it? Damn cliché)


"Are you okay with everything that was planned?" he asks again, staring straight at the solid form of an angel standing in the water.
What is this guy talking about? What plan? Is he talking bout this dinner or about my future after I turned 17? Ah, just go with the flow Hye Mi,
"Fine"
"Fine? So you are definitely okay with all this?" what's wrong with this guy? Even if am not okay with this dinner, there's no way I could flip out, say ‘bye es’, and hail a taxi home. My dad will kill me for acting like a manner less brat like that.
"It’s fine as long as I can endure it. It will end in a flash anyway"
"What?! This is no laughing matter! Marr...” his voiced suddenly raised at me and


*

bzzzt bzzt bzzzt bzzzt


"shush" I put my indicative finger on my lips and slide to answer the call,
"Yeah mom?... oh?..... okay... in a minute" After my mother hang up on me, I look at that guy with annoyance, and he glared at me. The hell? ughh whatever.
"The adults are calling us back to the table" I turned around and start to make way in to the adults leaving that guy behind. He let out a visible sighed and speak for the last time that night,
"I knew it; you're too young to understand"

This guy, he really does talk like an old man isn't he?


--------------------------------------------


"Well, looks like everyone is here, so shall we go straight to the main point then?" the man spoke after we reached the table and sit down. My dad nods approvingly, what main point?


"We have been waiting for this moment for a long time, and it's now or never" the man smile widely, so is my dad.
"Finally our family will unite" unite? My dad words confuse me, what are they talking about? I look at my mom; her face is unreadable right now. And the guy in front me look really devastated. What's with everyone?


"I'm sorry, I’m not trying to be rude but can I know what is this all about?" I ask politely, the younger male suddenly look at me as if I just make the most horrible mistake, but his father chuckled slowly,
"You didn't know why we are here?" he asks me back, I shook my head and grabs a glass of water and sipping it,
"Well dear, we're here to discuss bout Jonghyun and your marriage"


*Crack


Settling their eyes on the broken glass in my palm, everyone look equally shocked.


Marriage?



 


 

so guys, here I am, back from my one and a half year hiatus :D
Anybody miss me? Or has anyone forget bout me and this story completely?
Ahh I miss making a/n...
And I miss my readers, lovely commenters and the subscribers...
again, hi back everyone ^^