Five

THE LIFE WE HAD

Jonghyun POV

 

This is sick. That annoying baldie principle keeps going on and on about the student problems. What on earth does it even got anything to do with me? I'm not the counselor or the discipline teacher. I’m a music teacher for god sake! All I know is to beat the drum and not beating some brat's . And I just moved here like... yesterday? How would I know their problems?

Glancing at the Patek Philippe wristwatch that I got for my last year birthday while sprinting down the stairs, I became more irritated as I saw the time, 3:50 p.m. That old stinky man had keep me for a whole 20 minutes from watching Hye Mi and those deliquents. Wait, if the priciple is so eager on patronizing the students discipline, shouldn't these kids being sent directly to him instead of going to detention and wasting up all their time holed up in classroom then when the time is up, they get out and continue with their juvenile acts? Oh god, god knows just what those brats did to get sent in a detention class and I left Hye Mi with them? Please let nothing happen.

I was seriously cursing everything in this school while continue running down the hallway to the classroom I left my wife in, and why the hell is this school is fraken big? or is it my leg that is too short? Jonghyun dont start to bring yourself down right now. Closer now, I faintly overheard loud laughters from inside of the classroom and it's getting louder the closer I get. There is a soft female voice too. the moral value, I eavesdropped them, leaning on the closed door.

 

"Wait! Wait! Then do you like me?", a deep voice was asking someone,

"Of course, you are cute, Baro", My eyes widen to that all so familiar voice, that is my wife voice... and she said she like that Baro? Which one is Baro, again?

"Then what about me?", Another voice ask,

"I like you too CNU", said what?

"But you must like me more right?", a softer tone followed,

"I dunno about you, Sandeul, let me think of it first", then everyone inside burst into laughter again. Oh so happy without me, huh?

"Oh no don't, don't pout! Ok, I like you too, okay?", Hye mi coed the boy with her sweet voice, and I feel myself getting burned alive. Wondering why she never spoke to me with such voice. Wait. We don't talk much when we're together in the first place. Hmm.

"Then what about Jinyoung?" the deep voiced boy asked again. Baro, I guess.

There is an awkward silence right at that moment. Hesitation. Why would Hye Mi suddenly hesitate at this Jinyoung name when she answered previous questions right off the bat.

I balled my fist tightly, waiting irritatedly for Hye Mi to answer.

"I think I like Jinyoung more than I like you guys", My jaw dropped instantly. Holy fury , Hye Mi like that ?! (A/N: how do you he's an Jjong?-_-) What does she mean by liking this Jinyoung more than the others?!

 

"Owh look, Jinyoung, you blushed!", somebody shouts,

"An- aniya!.... get lost!..ha. ha. ha.... nononono!" I assumed that voice is Jinyoung's as he sounds so awkward and try to covered up with laughing. Well better cover that up because I can't hold this any longer. I slide the door open harshly and stomped to the teacher desk. The classroom immediate quiet down as if a grimm reaper just appear from the thin are and setting all eyes on me. I return the stares almost gladly and guess what I saw, the boys, sitting around my wife, closely!

And I spot one of em is placing their hand at the back of Hye Mi's chair. Hell to the satan's no.

"Students, sit on your own place" I speak in monotone, trying to hide the anger in my heart. The boys obeyed me and returned back to their place with Jinyoung as the last one to leave, and that , he was whispering something to Hye Mi and receive a nod along with a soft smile. .

 

 

I know I am cursing way too much for a teacher but who cares and now, 10 minutes already passed.

The wall clock already indicates to 4 p.m. and it's time to dismissed them back to their houses and Hye Mi, maybe we going to need a small talk when we get home.

"Ok, all of you pack your things and scram home. Remember not to show any of your faces in this room anymore"

Hye Mi does the honor to step out first, sending me a glare when she walk passed my desk.

"Hye Mi! Wait for me!", both of us break our eye contact to look at the owner of the voice and guess who, its's Jinyoung. He ran to her side and I saw them talking, but I can't hear them, they are already walking out the door. I, myself, slowly gather my things and make my way out as the last boy leave the stuffy classroom.

 

 

 

At home, 8.30 p.m.

"Chinese food or pizza?" Hye Mi in sleeping wear walk to my direction with her phone in her hand.

"What?"

"I'm not feeling to cook today, so take outs?"

"Pizza" I retorted shortly, still gluing my eyes on the plasma TV to watch the news. She place herself on the couch next to me, but still keeping a safe distance and start to call the delivery.

"No homework?" I asked when she put her phone away, she shut her eyes in annoyance.

"Finished it at school. Thanks to you"

"Sorry", I apologized, more to myself, since things don't go as I planned.

"Nah, Its okay. I got new friends by the way"... new friends, huh?

"The delinquents?" I asked, testing the water to strike a longer conversation this time.

"Hey! Don’t talk like that, they are pretty good and cool"

"Yeah, too cool until they got a detention, good students won't get detention, my dear wife"

"Well, my husband, I’m a good student with good grades, but still, there this an teacher who sent me to detention today"

"Wow? That teacher " I pretending not to know the said teacher,

"Yes he is. But you know what, husband? he teaches music, your likings" She played the game, this getting interesting..

"What does he looks like?"

"Nothing special. Just an average man, typical annoying teacher, oh and he look like a dinosaur with his ridiculous jaw line. A t-rex may I say", so that’s how I look like in her eyes?

"Oh..", she cut me before I finished my monologue sentence

"That teacher is short too", oh did not just go there. I turn my head away from the TV for the first time and ready to bark but right at that moment,

 

 

**ding dong

"Oh, must be the delivery man" she give me a smirk and went opening the door to pay the delivery man. I just watch as the man hand her square box and disappear.

"Kitchen or living room?" she ask,

"Here", eating pizza while watching TV is good, if something goes wrong or awkward, at least there are sounds. She placed the box on the coffee table before disappearing in the kitchen. She comeback a minute later with plates and cups. We ate in silence as both of us watching intensely the drama playing on the TV and comfortable with each other presence just like that.

 

*OK girl neoegeman yes man
Mwodeunji da haejulge
OK girl ijebuteo nikkeoya
I love you~~~~*

 

Hye Mi's phone suddenly rang. She quickly look at it and smile after she saw the caller Id. She wants to get up and to answer it somewhere else but I held her wrist before she even lift her bum,

"Answer it here", I said, eyes still on the tv but all my attention now is on her. She rolled her eyes but listen to me,

"Hello? Yes Jinyoung- ah, what is it?" Jinyoung? Is it the name of one of the boys from before?

"Tomorrow? Sure", What's with tomorrow? Don’t tell me they are going on a date.

"Okay, see you then" she cut the line and back to her pizza.

 

"Jinyoung? That boy from that detention class?" I ask, she nods vigorously,

"You gave him your number?"

"Why not?"

"What does he want?"

"He wants me to tutor him tomorrow, so I said yes"

"Where?"

"Anywhere but not here. We haven't decided yet"

"Why not here?" she removes her attention from the plate and look at me, unamused,

"Wouldn’t he be surprised to see this?" Then she point at the wall behind me, the wallpaper decorating the concrete is the giant version of our wedding photo, courtesy of Mrs. Park and my mother.

"Ah " I understand, our secret will spill then. But actually, maybe I want that Jinyoung to see this so he know that Hye Mi is mine.

 

"Just you two?" I ask again,

"Dunno. Maybe the others will be there too", I don't know if it's much better to go with all the guys or just by themselves. Both options just sound equally dangerous to me. I put my plate on the table and grab her phone,

"Yah! What are you doing?" She protested and appear very angry as I breached her privacy but I ignore her anyway and continue to key- in my number, after that sliding the button on the screen to call,

 

*Yok.hae nochyeo.beorin nal yok.hae
Muneojin nae shimjangeun nal beorijima
Nal honja dujima, waechigo itjiman*

 

My phone rings. Good. Now I have her phone number.

"Sadist", she muttered.

"What?"

"That song"

"Whats with this song?"

"That song is about a mentally ill man who kills his girl because of his obsession, right?", it's a rhetoric question because she clearly confident with what she know about the song. It is. And why am I so attached to this song? It's because someone I can't kill because of my obsession. Someone who can't take my craziness and left. Before it ate her. I can feel something is changing inside me and I can't let it to take me over again. I turn to her suggestively.

"So?"

"Hmph, you are a sadist"

 

I smiled, letting silence to surround us when I let her statement goes unreplied. She return her attention to the last piece of the pizza, ignoring me.

"Hey, Hye Mi? Can I ask you something?" I strike another conversation. She look at me and nod.

"What type of guy you are into?" I tried to make the question sound nonchalant but it seriously killing me inside. She cocked her left brow up,

"Where did that came from?"

"Nowhere, just answer me"

"No"

"Ah, tell me. tell me. tell me. tell me." I whined, trying to use my aegyo too. She rolled her eyes in disgust,

 

"Yah! How old are you? You look ridiculous. Stop that"

"If you want me to stop, then tell me~", I sang.

"Okay. Just shut up."

"Okay. Listening" She sighed but surrendered on my advance. Nobody can go against my aegyo. Hahaha.

"Haih. Fine. Well, I don't think I have any type of ideal men in mind. To me, when love comes, you just have to accept it, no matter who or in what form. But if I should list one, I think I want someone like my dad. Someone who would always love me just like they did when they first fell in love with me. You know, up until now, my parent still act like they're stuck in their honeymoon phase, going all sweet with each other even the stickiness are annoying me." She chuckled a bit.

 

"Sounds like you believe in love at the first sight?"

"Maybe. But you know, the love might also come from the second or the third sight, right?"

"I don't understand", I really don't.

"What I am trying to say is we maybe hate this one person when we met them for the first time, but with the time passed and we know each other for a longer period, things may change and we will eventually like them as we can understand them better. This kind of situation happens a lot. Not only in some cheap romantic dramas or sappy love novels but also in real life."

"Have you experienced it?", I test her, she confidently nod.

 

"With whom?" she suddednly put her plate back on the coffee table and change her position to allow her to look at me straight at the face.

"You", me? what does that mean?

"When I first saw you, Kim Jonghyun, am not gonna lie, you make me believe in something I never thought exist"

"What is it?" whoa whoa, what is this? a confession? does she realizes that she like me too? whoa whoa

 

"Hatred at the first sight", my jaw dropped. Hatred? She already hate me upon our first meeting? I can feel my face down little by little.

"But after a month living together like this, I figured out that you're not that bad. Well, not as bad as I imagine you to be. So, don't worry, I don't really hate you." She continue. The silence is almost deafening. I really don't know how to respond to her but her last words definitely lights me up inside. There used to be only one person who was able to make me feel like flying on the sky but in just one pull, she slammed me down, plummented to the hard ground of earth, just to take my hand and help me up to begin all over again. But now, there is her, there is Hye Mi.

 

"Jonghyun? What makes you ask that question?" She breaks the air.

 

So I can prepare myself for the next thing that will happen after my confession?

Accepted and everything will go perfectly as I dreamed..

Or..

Rejected and we'll grow more apart from where we are now,,

 

 

"Nothing. I thought that every high school girl waste most of their time thinking about their ideal men." I shrugged my shoulder along with my feelings, she chuckled slowly and replied.

"Not all of them and I am not your typical high school girl. I got a lot more things to think about. Besides, I'm married now. There is no use in thinking about that anymore, right?"

"What if you're not married yet? Is there anybody that attract your attention? in school?", Oh Kim Jonghyun, you are not a sadist. You're a ing masochist. My memory start replaying the scenes today where there is this one boy passing Hye Mi love notes in my class, also also Jinyoung and his friends who are getting cosy to them. I wonder if Hye Mi are attracted to one of them.

 

"Hmm. In school? hmm. Maybe Jinyoung?" oh can someone call me an ambulance? I think my heart is breaking right now.

"Owh yea..." I haven't finished with my words when she stands up, collecting the plates and her mug to the kitchen. After few minutes in there, (assuming that she washed the dishes instantly like a real housewives) she come out with towel in her hand.

"I'm going to do some revision, goodnight Jonghyun", she grabbed her phone placed on the table and turn around to the hallway. I watched her soundlessly as she make a bee line to her room and disappear.

 

So she likes Jinyoung? How much? More than she like me?

Like me? Is she ever like me?

 

 

Hye Mi POV

 

As soon as I closed my room door, I take out my cell from the pocket of my pyjamas and quickly checking the missed call. Once I saw the most recent number, I click the save button and start filling ID.

 

 

 

Name: Jjong -,,-

Contact saved

 

I make my way to sit on my study desk, opening some random books to begin revising. But how is that possible if my head is somehow filled with a certain someone?

Kim Jonghyun.

 

Kim Jonghyun. What can I tell about him? He is an egoistic, short bastard with nostrils size beyond normal. incomprehensible behaviour, and that... ridiculously big round mesmerizing eyes that can sunk me in and make me drowned every time our eyes met. That sweet angelic voice that sends shivers to my spine every time he open his mouth and that warm aura he radiates every time he flashes his smile.

Kim Jonghyun is like a sun. Burning, hot but majestic.

 

Whenever I start thinking about him, every piece of details of him that I can remember shall never fail to carve a wide smile on my lips.

To be honest, I only said that I like Jinyoung just to make him feel jealous. And judging from his expression, I apparently had hit the jackpot. Does that mean he likes me too?

 

These past few days had realy change my perception about him. A month locking myself in my room every time he come back from work is actually just an act for me to distract myself from my fresh grown feelings for him. Yes, I admit. I already fell in love with him since the first time met. I begin to love him so much that I hate him for making me feel this way. But I can't run away from the truth. I am into him, especially after he help me with the cut on my hand.

Smiling, I slowly pull out the little box I secured in my drawer under my study desk and open it. It reveals a necklace that was given from my mom for my 17th birthday, my uniquely shaped wedding ring and one thing that look out of place among the jewelleries is a laminated used band-aid. I know it sounds psychotic, still keeping a used band-aid from 3 month ago and let alone laminating it to a bookmark, it is freaky. But in my defense, the band-aid had it's own sentimental value because that was the very first time he had ever held my hand.

 

Moving on from the band-aid back to my wedding ring, I take it out from the box and look at it fondly. It is such a beautiful ring, a ring that Jonghyun complained about how it cost almost 13 months of his teaching salary. I only wear this ring on special occassions such as meeting with the parents or joining family banquets. But Jonghyu, he wear his ring ever single day.

 

 

Should I start to wear it too? Won't my feeling be too obvious to him them?

 

 


Finally, a new update after what feels like forever.

I've been abandoning this fic for too long. I started writing this fic back in 2012 and now it's the end of 2015.

A lot had happened during my hiatus period.

I graduated high school, caught in a life drama, hospitalized and almost at the brink of death, and caught into another life drama.

But am still here, and currently continuing my degree.

I dunno when I will be updating another chapter, but thank you for still sticking up to this story.

For all new subscribers who actually dare enough to subscribe to this fic even though the last update date was like forever ago, you guys are really welcomed :)

A lot has changed in AFF since the last time I logged in or writing here, so I am sorry if my style doesnt suit your taste. am just a boring writer who writes for fun.

Comment and subscribe>>>>