Seven

THE LIFE WE HAD

 

 

Coming down from Hye Mi's apartment, there is not a second that I find myself not smiling. A creep I might resemble, smiling mouth to ears like that but I just can't help it. Her voice, her angelic smile, her lullaby-like giggles, the charming dorky laugh and the shine of her shimmering eyes, those inhumane features keep playing relentlessly in my mind like a broken platinum award winning album. Okay, I exaggerate. But she worth it. Everything about her worth singing praises to and I don't think it will ever enough. I'd never thought that I can ever meet a girl that could make me so starstruck, except for my dear sister. The name is Park Hye Mi, a special girl with positive aura that radiates even to people around her. Never did I dream of this day would come, a day I realize, I'm in love.

Still with my Joker like grin, I slipped into my car and turn on the engine. I can be here thinking of Hye Mi all day long, but it's my sister special day and family always come first to me, especially when she is all I've got left. I take a look at my shopping bag at the back seat to check on the stuffs I prepared for my sister when I spotted Hye Mi's revision book sitting lonely on the passenger seat,

 

Shoot she left it.

Should I go back up there and returned her this book?

Or should I wait till tomorrow?

What if she wants to make more revision tonight?

ahh~~ Jinyoung, while you still here, why don't you just go back there and return that book to her? Then you will get a chance to see her once again for the day?

Okay, I made up my mind, now to her, the book I shall pass.

 

**

It only takes 15 minutes for me to come back here, in front of Hye Mi's apartment door.

Should I ring the bell or call her mobile to open the door? Will she think I am a creep to come back here just to pass books that I can hand at school? but what if she did not want to be seen with me at school? I don't have a great reputation at school anyway. But didn't she say she didn't mind?

I was deep in my thinking when I heard voices being raised from inside of the apartment. One of it is Hye Mi's voice and the other one sounds like a male's. Hye Mi told me she's staying with a housemate, is her house mate a guy? Who is close enough to her that can stay together with her, a male at that? Could it be... her boyfriend?

Another set of screams and shouts and I can't help myself from being surprised when I heard Hye Mi shouts at certain someone, using the tone I’d never expect she have,

"You don't want to leave? FINE! I'LL LEAVE!!!!"

There is a silence for a second before my ear catches the sound of loud footsteps, like someone is running in the house. The steps get closer to the door. And before the forced open door, there is nothing more shocking than what I seeing right now.

Two person who are unlikely to have any connection with each other are standing closely together. A frozen 17 years old Park Hye Mi staring at me and behind her, a stressed out new teacher of my school, Sir Kim Jonghyun.

"J- Jinyoung?" Hye Mi stutter. And at that split second, the air surrounding us feels pregnant with tension and awkward feeling.

"Owh, s- sorry. u- um.. I just wanna return your books, you left it in my car," hard, this is awkward, facing Hye Mi with her tear stained face and Sir Kim Jonghyun with guilt and somehow anger in his eyes.

Suddenly, Hye Mi yank the book from me and pull my wrist to run with her. Confused, I just quietly following her all the way to the elevator. I know  Sir Kim is right behind me, silently. When the elevator door opens, Hye Mi roughly pull me in the square space with her and just before the door is closed, it is stopped by Sir Kim. I am so confused and the situation does not seems like it will get better with both of them still having the staring contest with each other. Sir Kim did not try to get inside with us. He merely stand at the door, looking pleadingly at the tearing girl behind me.

"Hye Mi please, I s- sorry. I’m really sorry... please? g- give me another chance" his words came out unarranged, but I feel that he is begging his heart out. I look at Hye Mi, her grip still tight on my arm and it's somehow getting tighter. Instead of answering, she silently pull out the ring she wears on her left ring finger, throwing the shaped band at Sir Kim right at his chest. Startled by Hye Mi's reaction, Sir Kim retract his hands from the elevator door, watching it close upon his eyes.

Hye Mi let go of my hand when the car finally move downwards. And she’s crying hard into her palms. The choked sobs sound painfull excruciating, as it everything she feels right now is killing her. It hurts to see her crying like that but the whole situation is really confusing for me.Why is she crying? Why Sir Kim is there, in her apartment? What is their relationship? What are they fighting for? Who are they to each other?

There are too many unanswered questions in my head, but I know this is not the right time for me to ask her. What she needs right now is a company and she chooses me.

The tears hasn't subsided when we walk to my car and drove away. However after 10 minutes of torturing ride, I decided to open my mouth.

 

"Where do you want me to send you?"

"I... don't... know" she speaks in between hiccups.

"Your parents’ place?" Am suggesting, yet she vigorously shakes her head,

"No *hiccupped* he'll find *hiccupped* me there"

"Who? Sir Kim?" she nods her head, looking out the window.Tthere is pain displayed on her face, sorrow and hurt. She already stop crying by the time but still occasionally sobbing.

"Thank you Jinyoung- ah" she mutters,

"What for?"

"Taking me away from him" she sobs again. What is their relationship actually?

"You can tell me what's wrong you know. I’m willing to listen" I try to comfort her, but all she did is look at me and carving a bitter smile.

"I'm fine"

"You can't even lie to a child with face like that, just tell me okay? At least you will feel bit lighten when you let it out"

She make a face as if she's thinking of something before she suddenly drop a bomb right on my head.

"I'm married"

What? Married? Am I listening to the right thing? Hye Mi? Married? To who? Don’t tell me it's...

"to Jonghyun" she continue. I keep my calm and clutch on the steering tightly, eyes fixed on the road, because I know, if I lose my cool right now, we both might ended up nowhere but in a morgue.

"Seriously?" I ask,

"Yes, a *hiccupped* month ago" a month? That long?

"H- How?"

"It was an arranged marriage. I don't know the exact *hiccupped* reason actually. I was told this might be a politic *hiccupped* marriage, for the sake of our fathers business. As ridiculous as it sounds, I just can't say no to my parents" She sounds calmer now, but still, there is down tone in her every words.

"Then what happened tonight? was it always like this?" I braving myself to ask more, this is going to be more complicated,

"We're just fine at first, but things started to change recently. We're getting closer, especially when he come to teach at our school" oh, what? Wait! that means, when all of us in the detention room... God, that was why Sir Kim was staring at me with hawk eye that time. He was jealous of me. And today, are they fighting because of... me?

"Hye Mi, I’m so sorry"

"There is nothing to be sorry for, things already happen"

"Still, I’m sorry..."

"It’s okay Jinyoung - ah, it's not your fault. If anyone should be blamed, it is him."

"Can I ask you something?" I need to ask her this, even though there is possibility I will get caught in ER for broken heart,

"What?"

"Do you love him? Jonghyun sonsaeng?"

*silence*

"I dunno Jinyoung. I don't want to think about this right now."

*silence*

"I dunno myself right now. I think I've started to love him, Jinyoung, but it hurts" That’s it, the end of my half day love story. But should I weep? no, my feeling is not important right now. What important is hers. How to make her feels better. I want to see her smile back, I want to see her eyes shining. And I know someone who can makes everything better at the worst time.

"Let me make this up for you" It is a mere suggestion but I hope she will accept it.

"How?"

"Why don't you stay at my place?" I don't know where that comes from but at least she got somewhere to go right? And that person is there so it should be fine.

"Isn't that only making thing worse? I'm someone else's wife, it's not appropriate for me to stay at a guy's place. Especially after what had just happened" she refused my offer. I know she don't want to get things more difficult but where else could she go?

"Did you forget I’m living with my sister? You can stay in her room. I bet she don't mind"

"It's okay Jinyoung, I don't want to be a nuisance"

"Then where will you go now?" I asked.

"Hotel?" She suggested. I saw her searching for something in her jeans pocket before she facepalmed herself.

"Shoot! I left my wallet and phone there!"

"Seems like you've got nowhere to go?" I ,

"Well, I hope your sister love to have someone else on her bed" she playfully shrugged her shoulder, it’s a relief, to see her gaining herself back.

"She will"

 

 

Hye Mi POV

It’s been three days since I stayed at Jinyoung house. I discovered that he only have his sister, Seo Hyun, after their parents passed away two years ago in a car accident. Jinyoung work part time as a bartender so he always not at home at night. His sister, Seo Hyun, is the cutest girl I’d ever met, she's treating me nicely and make me feel comfortable when she's with me, her hyper energetic self always make me smile. She's only a year younger than me but she her freespirited self makes me feel like an ahjumma. However, a bubbly beautiful around yet I still can't help but to think about Jonghyun.

It's not about that night. I am honestly worried about his life actually. How he's been doing? Does he live well? Did he get his meals on time? Sometimes I feel mad at myself, for thinking like that. He didn't deserve my care, he didn't trust me, and he called me... .

"Park Hye Mi! Please pay attention!" the teacher warns me before continue writing on the board. It's been the third time, different teachers has been calling me out in class. I was a natural absent-minded student but no teacher ever mind that as long as my grades isn't going down, but why today everyone seems to be against me? My other classmates stare at me before whispering to each other and act like I am more important that whatever thing is written in front. What the hell?

In case anyone wonder where am I, yeah, I am currently at my school, sitting in my favorite class, physic. How did I get my school things? Easy, I go back to that (I refused to call that place as mine or our) apartment yesterday while he go to work and collect my important things like my phone, money, cloths, school books and my toiletries. Everything that could fit in a 15kg luggage,

I actually not in mood to go to school, knowing that there are 99% possibilities I will bump to Jonghyun, but study come first right? (Is dazing all the time count as studying? I don't know)

*ringggggggggggggggggggggggg

The second recess bell finally rang. One more class to go and I'll meet Jinyoung at the parking. He promised to go back home with me today. Just to clear this issue, Jinyoung and I have nothing special. Yes he confessed, in the most polite manner he can be, but I rejected him in good way and now we are officially good friend.

I slung my bag over my shoulder to go to the cafeteria, ignoring the everyone stares. What the heck is wrong with me today until everyone look at me like I’m a queenka or something? I was never the popular girl, so why? Huh, I don't care. I want to meet Mi Young, it’s been 3 days since last I saw her and we never text each other after that since I turned off my phone almost all the time.

 

** At the cafeteria

I walk towards Mi young as soon as I spotte her sitting at our usual table at the cafeteria.

"Mi young!" I hug her as I try to sound happy. She flinched and quickly released herself from me. Something feel off but I played like it was nothing. I pull the chair next to her and sit,

"Mi young- ah?" i tried to break the silence and talk to her. But she still sit there stoned, not even looking at me.

"Mi young? What’s wrong?" I try once again and this time she turn her head facing me. Staring at me with foreign anger and annoyance. Something I never see during the long years we've known each other.

"I don't want to sit with a liar" she stands up. What? I stands up too, grabbing her hand in process.

"What are you talking about?"

Mi young slapped my hands off hers, which is never happening before.

"Everyone in this school already know about you Hye Mi, how long you want to pretend?" Know what?

"Please, tell me Mi young- ah. What is it? Know what?" she smirks sarcastically,

"Do you really have no idea at all Park Hye Mi? Or should I say, Kim Hye Mi?" And that very moment, my body stiffened. How did she know? She not supposed to know. And what did she mean by everyone? What did everyone know?

"What? Scared? Your no longer secret already spilled Hye Mi. I can't believe you didn't tell me something as important as this"

"M- Mi young, t-tell me. Who told you? Mi Young-ah, I swear it's nothing like you think it is."

"I'm so lucky that the lady clerk in the school office is a nosy woman. She told everyone that Sir Kim throw tantrums in school office just to get my address and phone number. And you know what he say? 'I just want my wife back'. I assumed you know who is he talking about"

"He asked for your address?"

"Yeah, he wants to ask me whether you are at my house or not. And apparently you are staying at Jinyoung's" Mi young replied sarcastically. I lost my words, everything felt dark and lost.

"Why silence? Mentally celebrating my stupidity?"

"W- what a-are you t- talking about?"

"You are laughing over my idiocy, right? Having a crush on your husband, and now fell in love with your boyfriend? I am really that fool, right? To actually believe that you hate Sir Kim and Jinyoung is only a friend? Congratulation KIM Hye Mi, you managed to fool me"

Mi young walk away from me after spitting such hateful remarks. My best friend. Oh my god, what have I done in my past life until I need to get through all this? First my husband accused me having relationship with Jinyoung, and now my best friend left me because she think I made fool of her. I don't want to think anything that will happen if my parents know about what is happening between me and Jonghyun currently. I'm sure my parent know nothing yet, if not, they must have trying to reach me no matter how right now.

I sit hardly on the chair, still ignoring people disgusted look. I don't have time to think about others right now. I have only one thing in my mind.

 

 

*

I don't know how long have I been sitting slumped in the cafeteria, all I know is I still have a class to catch before the painful day ends.

I take out the time table from my bag. And would anyone want to take a guess what class I am having next? yep ding ding ding.

 

Music Class

 

Kim Jonghyun, to what extent more you want to ruin my life?

 

 

 


Another un-beta-ed chapter. Sorry for any inconsistency for what they call Jonghyun, sometimes its "Sir Jonghyun" and sometimes it's "Sir Kim".

I'll go back to the previous chapter and correcting it back, but i dunno when hehe.

And so yeah, the title has changed. Yay...

I love comments... please give me your feedback yaaww...

 

comment and subscribe>>>