Three

THE LIFE WE HAD

 


 

     I went back to my newly shared apartment after another long day of work. Who knows being a music teacher will be this tiring.


A while ago I got a notice from the academy administrators; before I change my status from single to married that I will be transferring to another school. The transfers date is tomorrow so today, I had to do extra works to make sure I've packed everything, clean up my desk and check the instruments inventories; one more thing of course, the goodbyes. It was hard, I only start my job as a teacher there a year ago and it was my very first job. Moreover, it was the place that makes me forget all the pain I went through.


I honestly love all my students but yet I need to leave them.


Sloppily, I pushed the key inside the hole and turn it open. Placing my shoes neatly on the rack before walking in the apartment. My spouse is nowhere to be seen. She must be studying in her room, so I went into mine and throw my Burberry messenger bag on the bed.  Grabbing the towel, I disappear behind the bathroom door.
It is 9 p.m. when my stomach acting up wanting to be filled. Making my way to the kitchen, I found a purple sticky- note writing with neat penmanship pasted on the fridge,

'I've prepared dinner; eat if you feel like it'

 

I went to the table and lifted the covers, revealing decently prepared foods. I found myself grinning slightly. Quite hastily due to the ever louder growling in my stomach, I sit down and take a bite of what looks like chili chicken, damn it is not half bad and it still warm too.

A big fact I hate to admit about this other person in the house is that despite of her young age and anti-social-ness, she really make a great wife.

The apartment always neat and tidy, the kitchen is squeaky clean and the bathroom floor is shining, well since my room is her 'keep-out' zone, so the mess in there doesn't count. Truthfully, I don't even know when did she got all the time to keep up with the households. It has been a month since we are married and stay together in our three bedrooms apartment, a wedding gift from our parents.


A month, sounds long enough for us to know each other but funny thing is, I know nothing about my 'wife' and I bet she knows nothing about me too. The only thing I know about her is her name is Park or now Kim Hye Mi on papers, 17 years old, the only child of Park family and that is it. I don't even know where her alma mater is, as she never requesting me to send her to school and I in the other hand never bother to ask.

She recently driving her own car, a brand new metallic 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, thanks to her father in law a.k.a my father. She could've ask for the 2014 model but the moment she laid her eyes on the 2013', it become the very time I saw her smiling widely on her own will.

We are living in the same house but barely seeing each other. Why? Maybe because she left for school while I still in my dreamland, or locking herself inside her room when I’m home. Believe me, that girl spends ungodly time in her room. I don't even know when she comes out from her room so it almost makes me believe she uses magic to keep the house clean. Only during weekends, I actually see her as both of us together will return to one of the family mansion. Her family one time and mine come next. And the circle continue,
Our lack of knowledge about each other might due from various reason I do not intend to share to full extend but one major factor of it, is the contract.


Yeah, we do have a contract, not only the marriage contract.

 

 

***flashback

 

"You know our marriage is not out of love right?" she who's standing at the corner next to the flat screen plasma TV nods, I continue

"So I’ve made this contract, to make sure our life doesn’t change even if we are now married. I want you to read it, and tell me if you want to add anything," she look interested with the paper in my hand and come closer timidly, reminding me to a cat. Placing herself on the single sofa, she examines the single paper and start reading,

The Agreement between Kim Jonghyun and Park Hye Mi
1. Sleep in different room unless needed depending on the situation.
2. No boys or girls or strangers are allowed in the house.
3. Stay away from each other’s possessions. House necessities are exception.
4. Keep the house clean.
5. No talking if there is nothing major.
6. Do not enter each other’s room without permission.
7. Pet is the keeper's responsibility.
9. Do not tell anyone about our relationship, we are only husband and wife in front of our family, behind them we are strangers.
10. Faking happiness in front of the families is a must.

 

Reaching the last line of the contract, she nods in approval and put the paper back on the coffee table,
"So?" I ask,
"Give me a pen"
"What for?"
"Well, we need to sign this right?"
"So you accept all the conditions?"
"Yeah"

 

***end of the flashback

 

 

As you can see, I'm the one who set up the boundaries between us and I somehow regretting it now... well I did say somehow, so there were times when I felt like the contract was the right thing to do. If we don't get too attached, the unforeseeable separation won't be as hurtful as the time when I'm with... no brain, don't you dare go there.
 

I shook my head; to get rid of the unwanted memories and enjoy the meal served in front of me.  Suddenly, I felt something fluffy jumping on my lap causing me to almost-choke on the piece of chicken . I shot a look at foreign subject and immediately detect it as Hye Mi's tri-colored mainecoon cat, purring on my lap; what is its name? Mello? Milo? Maro? Or something along that line.
 

I slowly pushed the cat away as I get up to clean the table and wash my plate. The cat meowed disapprovingly and rubbing its fury body on my leg. It was a big fat male cat and horrifyingly clingy. Every time I saw Hye Mi (which is a very rare sighting); she must be holding that pet of hers in arm and baby talk to it. I remember Mr. Park once told me that, that cat is like a family. He was like Hye Mi little brothers.
 

I was rinsing my glass when that fat pig-cat that was enjoying his sweet time bite my leg out of nowhere, causing me to accidentally poured water on the cat. The cat isn't the type that's afraid of water but I guess the cold tap water startled him and he let out a loud screeching sound,


"Mako?" o- ouh, that voice belongs to Hye Mi calling her pet and that cat yeah of course despite of his heavy physical scalded to its owner. I shut my eyes tightly, ready to hear a loud yell,

"Mako?! What happen to you? Why are you all wet?!"
"Yah Kim Jonghyun! What have you done?" Hye Mi appears in the kitchen, spooning the wet cat in her arms.

"It's not my fault, that cat bite me while I’m rinsing this glass" I looked at her innocently,
"Really? You blame my cat now?" she cocked up her brows,
"Hey, I’m just telling the truth" giving her my oh-so famous puppy eyes, knowing no one could resist that, that fat thing is not even a cat. It is a demon manifesting in shape of expensive breed animal,

"Whatever, could you please mop the floor, there's water everywhere" she rolled her eyes and turned her back on me.
"Yeah, thanks to your cat"
"No worries Mako, it's not your fault, come let mummy blow dry your fur or you'll look like a wet puppy" I know she said that intentionally when her voice is so loud and clear even when she's in the hall to her room. I swear I heard that cat meowed back, mocking me... that little fatty-pig-cat-devil.


Subconsciously, I smiled.

 

-----


The very next day, I drive my car following the address to my new school. My first day on my new school and it feel very nerve breaking. The questions of what kind of colleagues I will meet there and will the students accept me whirl winding my mind, and it just makes me more nervous.
It takes a few confusing turns on the road I foreign with until I finally reaches the said school.


"Shinkyeunjo High"

 

****
 

Being a new teacher in this school is not that bad after all. I have spent half of my first day here and based from my observation, I'm going to enjoy the time serving as a teacher in this place. Everyone here welcoming me with warm smiles and the students did not give me any problem at all, only a few girls from my class dared enough to actually flirt with me even though this is the first time I meet them. Considering their raging hormone, it is however forgiven. Well, the popularity of mine. Wait until they know I am married, to a girl on their age.
 

For the nth time, I again checking my brand new teaching schedule. A column with my name written in it indicates that I have one more class to go, the 2nd year.

 

*rrringggggg
 

Well, that bell is my cue. I put the schedule away and smile to the first few students who walk into the classroom; they are looking at me with wide curious eyes before taking their sit. I waited until the room is packed with students, before introducing myself,
 

"Good afternoon class. My name is Kim Jonghyun, and I’ll be your new teacher replacing Mrs. Choi who's transferring to another school." wild buzzing sound starts filling the classroom as the students talks to each other, of course, their topic is about the new teacher, me. I look around the room and notice there is still an empty seat on the second row near the window.
 

"Since today is my first day here, we shall start our class by each of you introducing yourself to me one by one. You can tell me your name and what instruments you handled and maybe some info you guys would like me to know about, so I got to kn..." I could not finish my instructions when I hear the sound of the door slides being open hastily,
 

"I'm sorry..." My eyes go straight to the door and catch the face of the latecomer.
 

Holy what am I seeing?
Is that...

"Hye Mi!" suddenly a girl called the name of the longhaired intruder and she walked passed me to sit next to the caller.
 

... that is really Hye Mi.
 

"Sir?"
"Sir Kim!" a student yelled for my attention causing me to startled a bit,

"Pardon, where are we?"
"You ask us to introduce ourselves and what we play" another student answers me,

"Well, let’s start then, starting from you," I point to the boy who sits in the front row on my right. There are total of 16 student in this class and the introduction session continue until its Hye Mi turn's. She stands up nervously and looking everywhere but me,
 

"My name is Park Hye Mi, a pianist" short.
"Why not Kim?" I blurted out; she stares at me with incredulous eyes,
"Why should I?" then I realized, it was said in the contract, we are strangers when we are outside the house. I shakes my head a little and wear the professional teacher smile before telling her to sit down.

"I’m sorry, you look like someone I know, next student, you?" the next student stands up and continue the process while I let my mind wanders,

Therefore, this is her alma mater. And I’m going to be her teacher for the rest of the year? Man, this gonna be hard.
 

Heaven, do you hate me?


***


"Why you never tell me that you are schooling there?" I burst out when both of us gather on the living room later that night,
"Why don't you tell me you are a teacher?!"  Crossing her arm over her chest, she fights back,
She doesn't look like someone who would give a good arguments but I guess it is more than what meets the eye.

"That is not important," I retort, irritates.
"Then where am I schooling is not important too!" her voice went up a few decibel higher and so do my blood.

"Why are you yelling at me?!"
"Why are YOU yelling at me?!"
"STOP IT!"
"NO YOU STOP!"

"I'm your husband! Don't tell me what to do!" I pull out my 'husband' card and her expression froze for a moment before she comes up with a comeback,
"Oh now you're calling yourself my husband?!"

"Like it or not, I AM YOUR HUSBAND"
"Just what you do as a husband?"
“Now I'll be the who support your life, your expenses and everything bout you"
"Well that's not only it" she threw me a dirty look, this girl...

"Then what? Are you asking for ?" I spat out almost immediately, I don't even think.
"Are you crazy? Where that come from you ert!" Hye Mi blushed at the word '' and took a square cushion behinds her and send it flying it to me, I dodged it,
"Then? What else a husband do?!"

"Geez! How should I know?! I'm not the one who wear pants in this relationship"
"And you talk like you know what a real husband does in their life" I shut for a breather, wow, a month marriage and already a tiring argument?

*sudden silence*

"Wait a second," she paused and tilts her head to her side, looking confused...then continue ... "What are we babbling about? We're definitely not arguing about this at the beginning" her voice softened,

"Yeah, I think we're talking about what happen at school today before we start yelling at each other

"God! Look at how completely out of topic we are" both of us look at each other before lolling out loud, I think we look a mad couple right now, barking at each other face one time and then next half second, laughing loudly together,

"You know, when I think back about, I think we have no problem in being in the same school right?" I spoke when I finally able to stop myself from laughing.

"Yea, that shouldn't be a problem, because we already sign the contract saying that we're only husband and wife in front of our family, behind them, we're a complete stranger to each other." she nodded in agreement. And I couldn't get more agree with her.

"You were right, this is not worth it"
"As long as we act like we don't know each other at school, then we'll be fine"
"Yeah, I’m sorry for yelling at you" I apologize first, knowing my tone wasn't right when I ask her the first question. She was taken aback by the apology but quickly return the apology back to me.

"I'm sorry too"
"Are we cool now?"
"I think so"

 

*Ding dong

 

Synchronizedly, both of us turned our head to the door when we heard the sound of the bell. We got visitor? I glance at the clock, this late?
 

"Kids? Are you home?" It was the familiar voice of Mrs. Park in front of our door,
"It’s your mom" I said to Hye Mi who is making a really funny face.
"Yeah I know, I’ll get that" She responds to my words and hurriedly ran towards the door.

 

Like the overused scene in every cliché story where es always tripped over nothing, she suddenly tripped on her feet and stumbled forward. Reflexively, I try to save her from landing on the floor however, because of my unstable position; I ended up falling with her.
In that split second, I felt something plump and smooth landed harshly on my lips. I opened my eyes and I'm looking straight into those mesmerizing light brown eyes,

Captivated.


.
"Guys? Yuhuuu?" that pregnant voice with tenderness and youth called out upon us again as Mrs. Park presses the bell continuously and ruining the moment,

That was when I realized our real position; sprawled on the floor with Hye Mi on top of me, and our lips are slammed on each other.
Her eyes widen in the state of shocked,

"Ew, the he...” Hye Mi quickly moves away from me and wipes her lips with the back of her hand. I surprisingly feel disappointed when her lips no longer on mine,

WAIT! WHAT AM I SAYING?

"Ughhh" I copied her, wiping my lips with the hem of my shirt.

 

Here comes the awkward silence.
 

"Kids? We know you are inside! Open the door now!" Mrs. Park continues banging the front door without care of the neighbor. I wonder living for god knows how long in an isolated private property makes her forget that there could be someone living next door to mine.
Hye Mi looks at me all expressionless and said,

"We’ll settle this later" she then walk in fast pace to the door and opening it with a fake smile on her face. She is a pretty damn good actress.

"Mom! Dad! What a surprise!" She hugs the manifestation of her parent and let them in.

This is suspicious; they never said anything about paying us a visit.
When the older couple already getting themselves comfortable on the couch, the middle-age housewife who looks nothing on par with her age begin explaining why they are on our door at this late at night without even a single text.

"We're just thinking about seeing your apartment. We never been here since you moved you know", the husband nods at his wife statements.
"In the middle of the night?" their daughter questioned,

"Well, do you know that there is a really nice restaurant not far from here? You see, we go for dinner there on an acquaintance recommendation but then we kinda lost to the surrounding; that restaurant was so wonderful that we lost track of the time and it is already late when we actually notice it. Your dad is too tired to drive home, and you know me, am not very competent driver even in broad day, so taa-dah, here we are. Can we spend the night here?" Her mom gave us a full paragraph of answer but what make us shocked beyond belief is when she said 'can we spend the night here?
 

What are we supposed to do? The guest room does not even have a bed since we are too lazy to furnish it; there is no way they would sleep there. Therefore, the options left for us only my room or Hye Mi's room. If one of us gave up our room, where the other shall sleep? On the couch? Or together?


"So can we?" the pretty lady asked us once again,
"Of course mom, let me prepare the room, honey, could you come and help me?"  I heard Hye Mi called me 'honey'; well, she used to call me that in front of our parents but without reason, this time that nickname send shivers to my spine.

"Hun? Hurry!" I smile at my in-laws and follow her. We went to my room and as soon as we are in, I closed the door behind me.
"My parents will sleep here, is that okay with you?" She asks me,
"I'm fine, but what if they asked about my things in here?"

 

My room is furnished modestly with king sized bed, a desk for my works, a wardrobe and some little furniture’s to complete the modern theme I tried to pull off.

"Just tell them we don't have enough space in 'our' room" she sorts of that kind of resolution and I wonder if her parents will accept that excuse that easily. I mean, my wardrobe and the desk surely scream 'Kim Jonghyun ing lives in this room and nowhere else!' but let's put that aside, did she just say "our"?

"Our room?" I questioned. She walk to my bed, tidying the sheets and sniffing at it *I learn that she's checking the covers whether it smelled or not* then turn to me, rolling her eyes.
"Yeah, a.k.a my room, duh... We need to change these sheets. It smelled too much like you"

I nod and went to the wardrobe, pulling out fresh pair of sheets and a new comforter while she's working on the one on my bed.
"Wait, if I gave up my room, then where I supposed to sleep?"
"My room of course" She answers nonchalantly.
"What?"

"We have to pretend like real spouses remember? Wouldn’t it be weird if they saw you sleeping on the couch?" she's explaining when the look of confusion and shock clearly visible on my face.
"That makes sense"
"Of course it is"


We walks out from the room after reaching the final decision and finished cleaning up some proofs of my existence in the room. The older couple already half asleep on the couch, Hye Mi went closer to her parents and shakes them up tenderly,

"Mom? Dad? Come sleep in the room" Mr. and Mrs. Park wakes up and follow their daughter to my room. I bids them goodnight and Mrs. Park kissed my cheek.
Wouldn't it be great if her daughter did it to me too? I take my time and sit on the couch, feeling quite nervous when thinking about sleeping in the same room with Hye Mi,

 

Kim Jonghyun! What are thinking about? You just go to sleep, not doing anything with her,
What if I can't control my hormones? Hey, I’m a normal 23-year-old guy,
And we kissed just now,
It’s not we never kissed before; we do kiss on our wedding....
Liar, you don't even kiss her at lips that time...
Yeah...
Oh my.....
Then just now?
Our first?
Really?
Yeah...
We did kissed... even if it was accidental,

 

I closed my eyes and massaging my head slowly. There is war in my head right now.

"Hey, wake up" a familiar voice wakes me up. Opening my eyes and I look at her,
"Hey, do you hear me? You’ll get a back pain if you sleep here. Come sleep in the room"

 

How come she become as sweet as cotton candy with her parents at one minute and turn into a complete dic... wait, she doesn't have one.  Whatever...

"If you don't move now, I’ll lock the room. And if mom and dad ask why you sleep here tomorrow morning, get your brain work for yourself”
 

I can almost hear her eyes rolled and she walks towards her room, well, there's no other option right?
I rise up from the couch and yawn a bit, damn I’m really sleepy. I make my way to her room and turn the doorknob, and pushing it to open slowly.
Huh, it is unlocked, at least she still have sympathy,

This is the first time I enter her room and it was nothing like I expected. I was thinking of frills and pinks and all the other girly thingies however it was all the opposite in this foreign room. Her wall is pure black with red murals paint on it, the design was simple, nothing look too excessive, everything have the same color toned, either it was black or metallic red, a bit dark but yet attractive. Somehow bringing romantic feels. With only dim light sourcing from the night lamp,

"Have you finished mental criticizing my room?" I saw her sitting on her bed, looking straight at me. I went to her, grab the black pillow, and place it on the floor.

"What are you doing?" she ask monotonously.
"Preparing myself to sleep? Duh"
"On the floor? Do you really think I’m that cruel?" she squints her eye in the dim light,
"Then where?" she wouldn't mean I could...

"Up here. Sleep on the bed. It's big enough for both of us; your back will hurt more when you wake up tomorrow if you sleep on the floor" there’s no underlying meaning under her words, she was simply showing a bit of consideration. Not quite there, but it’s a quality of a wife.

"Urmmmm" I scratch the back of my head, how am I supposed to say this,
 

'Hey, I just wanna say sorry for what happen just now'
Hell, why am I the one who say sorry? It’s not me who tripped right? Dammit Jonghyun, just how long you haven't been smooth talking female? Well since I'm with Ji... ouch...

 

"Umm, I wanna say sorry about the incident just now. I hope both of us can get over that. So, we can act all fine now, I guess?” ... She come out all of sudden, I ignore the sudden tight feeling in my chest. Oh, have I mention how much I like this girl?

"Seriously?"
"Yeah, better you come here now, you got to teach tomorrow" she smiles at me. It is not a big, captivating smile; it's a plain pure smile for an apology. I like her smile.


"Right" awkwardly, I place myself on her bed and disappear under the covers. She reached out to switch off the lamp on the nightstand and bid me goodnight.
 

"And oh yeah, friendly reminder, don't try to do anything funny Kim Jonghyun, I have a dagger in my top drawer. Sweet dream"


What? What type of girl keeping a dagger in her room? Next to her bed?
Nah. I’m too tired and sleepy to think about anything right now. That was proven when I don't have to wait long to get into my half- conscious world...

 

 

 


I got nothing to say...I guess...

I hope the readers enjoy the new chapter and welcome new subscribers!

Leave your comments if you think am worthy of it ^^