Episode 01 - Just Like The Dramas

Me And The Twins Next Door

There are two things in life that matters the most for Pets - her beloved sports car, which her father gave her on her 19th birthday, and her family - her pretty mom, her cool dad, and her annoying but loving little bother. Those are the most important things in her life. Those are her life. So what would happen if Pets  find out something she's not supposed to find out?

 

"Dad? I'm entering your office now!"

 

Pets  shouted as she opened the door. Her father is nowhere to be found, and she needed her documents, especially her birth documents, for a school trip in Europe. "I wonder where dad placed my documents..." she thought as she rummaged through her father's desk. She opened the drawer, and saw an envelope with her name on it "Pets Ceng Pei Ci. That's me!" she said as she took the envelope out. 

 

She sat on her father's favorite chair, and opened it. She found the document she was looking for. "Finally, my birth certificate!" she thought. But as she took it out, another document came out with it. Curious, she took a look at it. "What's this?" she said to herself as she read it. 

 

Adoption paper. 

 

Her eyes widened upon seeing the title on the document. "Oh my God, is Davy adopted?" she thought worriedly for her little brother. But she was wrong. There on the adoption paper, a familiar name is written on it. It was her name. 

 

She felt her world fell apart upon seeing that. "I am adopted?" she asked as she stared blankly. She wanted to cry. She wanted to shout out of frustration. But will that deny the fact that her pretty mom and her cool dad adopted her?

 

--

 

"So what if you're adopted? That won't change a thing!" 

 

Pets  looked at her girlfriend, and let out a sigh. "It changes everything, Kimberley. Imagine, everything I know is just a lie?" she said. "Maybe the reason your parents hid it to you is because of that reaction!" Kimberley told her. Pets  just let out a sigh. She still could not believe why her parents hid the fact that she is adopted. What are they scared of anyway? If she found out earlier, it would be easy for her to accept it. 

 

How long are they planning to hide it from her? Forever? She's bound to find out anyway, and she found out that day. She took her shot glass and gulped the alcohol inside it. "How about this.." Kimberley leaned to her, and gave her a seductive look. "Why don't you go back to my place tonight?" she said in a flirty tone. 

 

Pets  let out a sigh. "I'm not in the mood." she told her girlfriend. Kimberley pouted at her. "You're always not in the mood. Do you even still love me?" she asked. Pets ignored her question and continued drinking. 

 

--

 

"Benjamin, have you seen Pets?" Alice asked her husband, who was busy playing video games with his son. "Relax, Alice. Maybe she's out with Kimberley. Don't worry about her." Benjamin said. Alice let out a sigh. "But it's getting late. She's doesn't go home this late." Alice told her. "Maybe she will sleep over at Kimberley's place. Don't worry too much, all right?" Benjamin said. 

 

Just then, Alice hear Pets' car pulled over the garage. "Mom, I think Pets is here." Davy said, not taking his eyes off the screen. True enough, a few minutes later, Pets entered their household. Alice could clearly see her daughter is drunk. "Pei Ci! What happened to you?" Alice said as she rushed to her. Pets could not even walk on a straight line because she had too much drink. 

 

"I'm OK, mom... are you really my mom?" Pets said as she laughed. Alice gave her a confused look. "Of course I am your mom! Ceng Pei Ci, what's wrong with you?" Alice asked again. Benjamin put his controller down, and helped Alice with Pets. 

 

"Aiyo, Pets. I told you to control your alcohol. Look at how drunk you are." Benjamin told her. He put her daughter's arm around his neck, and helped her to her room. As soon as they reached her room, they plopped her to her bed. 

 

"Go to sleep now, we'll scold you tomorrow." Alice told her. Then, Pets sat up on the bed. "Mom... dad..." she called. The couple looked at their daughter. "Am I really your daughter?" she asked. Alice and Benjamin looked at each other, with the former, giving her husband a nervous look. "You're overthinking, Pei Ci. Go to sleep." Alice told her. Then, Pets began to cry. "I... I saw my adoption paper..." she said. Both Alice and Benjamin were surprised at what she said. 

 

"Pets..." Benjamin said as he sat beside her. "Just tell me the truth. Am I adopted? Am I your real daughter, or not?" Pets asked again. "Pets, you are our daughter, all right?" Benjamin told her. "But did you adopt me?" Pets persisted. Benjamin let out a sigh. "We'll talk about this tomorrow." he told her. He watched as Pets lay down on her bed, and close her eyes. When they were sure she is asleep, the couple came out of her room. 

 

"What should we do now, Benjamin?" Alice asked her husband the moment they headed to the kitchen. Benjamin just looked at Alice, not knowing to answer her. "Pets has already found out the truth..." she said worriedly. "It's no use lying to her. She found the evidence. And besides, don't you think it's about time she know the truth about herself?" Benjamin told her. Alice shook her head. "I'm still her mother!" Alice told him. Benjamin let out a sigh. "We have to tell Pets the truth." he told her. Alice could only sigh at her husband's decision. 

 

--

 

It's a miracle Pets woke up without a hang over even though she drank a lot the night before. She walked out of her room after waking up, and decided to head to the kitchen. She may not have the hang over, but she's hungry. And she feel like wanting to clean up the refrigerator. "Mom and dad wouldn't mind, right? After all, they are supposed to do grocery shopping today..." she thought. 

 

The moment she stepped into the kitchen, she saw her mother and father in a serious conversation. "Can we not do this?" she heard her mother said. "It's about time, Alice..." her father said. "But she's my daughter, after all!" Alice said in verge of tears. Pets felt her heart beating fast as she listened to their conversation. She cleared as she entered the kitchen. "Good morning!"  she greeted. She went to the fridge to get something to eat. 

 

"Pets, we need to talk." she heard his father say. Pets paused for a while, and then slowly turned to face them. "I'm sorry about last night. I promise I won't drink that much again." she said. Benjamin shook his head. "It's not about that. Come here and sit with us." Benjamin told her. Pets closed the refrigerator, and then sat next to her mother. 

 

"You asked us last night if you're really our daughter, right?" Benjamin asked. Pets nodded her head. "And you said you saw your adoption paper, right?" Benjamin asked again. Pets nodded her head again. As Benjamin opened his mouth to speak again, Alice held his arm. "Benjamin, please don't do this..." she pleaded. Benjamin sighed as he looked at his wife. "But she have to know the truth." he told her. 

 

Pets stared at her father. "So, it's true? I'm adopted, am I right?" she asked. Benjamin took a deep breath, and nodded his head. At that moment, Pets felt her world fell apart. Everything she knew about herself came into a void. "But to us, you are our daughter. Your mom and I love you so much." Benjamin explained. Pets looked at her mom, and saw she was crying. "W-why... why didn't you tell me?" she asked in a low voice. "Because it didn't matter if you're adopted or not. For us, you're our daughter, our first born!" Alice told her tearfully. 

 

"But it's unfair!" Pets cried. "All I knew about myself is a lie..." she said as she lowered her head. Benjamin held his daughters hand. "No, it's not. You're our daughter. You did not came from us physically, but God planted you in our heart. He gave you to us in a way we imagined it to be." he told her firmly. "Then, tell me the whole truth. Where did I come from? Who are my real parents? What's my real name?" she asked them. 

 

Benjamin and Alice looked at each other, before deciding to tell her everything. "We adopted you from an orphanage in Taipei. The name the orphanage gave you is Xiao Yue, but we changed that when we adopted you. We don't know who your real parents are, but all we know is that your real mother had you when she was a teenager. And, you're not the only one who got adopted..." Benjamin explained to her, which made Pets confused. "What do you mean I'm not the only one who got adopted?" she asked. "Pets, you have a younger twin sister named Xiao Xing." her mother told her. Pets was surprised at her revelation. "But you got adopted first." 

 

--

 

"Are you going to be fine? Don't you want us to come with you?" Alice asked Pets. "Mom, I'm fine. Remember when I was in high school? I went back to Taiwan for the exchange student program." Pets told her. "Are you sure you want to do this?" Benjamin asked as they walked inside the airport. Pets paused for a while, and looked at her parents. She can see how sad they are at her decision. Pets let out a smile, and nodded her head. "I want to know the truth about myself. And I think this is the only way I can feel complete." Pets said. 

 

After her parents told her truth, she decided to go back to Taiwan to find her sister and her real parents. She wanted to know why her parents decided to give them up. She wanted to see how her twin sister is doing. "Then, when you already feel that you're complete, you should come back to us, all right? We'll be waiting for you." Alice said tearfully. Pets nodded her head. Tears were forming at the corner of her eyes as she looked at her. 

 

"Pets, no matter what happen, we are still your parents, and we will still accept you with open arms. Come back to us anytime you want." Benjamin told her. Pets stared at them, and then she walked up to them, and hugged them. "Thank you, mom, pops... thank you for giving me a second life. Thank you for taking care of me for the past 21 years, And thank you for being the best parents in the whole wide world!" she told them tearfully. Both Benjamin and Alice laughed at her. 

 

They heard the call for her flight, and the three broke their hug. "You must contact us as soon as you land in Taiwan, OK?" Benjamin told her. Pets nodded her head. "Are you sure you have a place to stay there?" Alice asked. Pets nodded her head. "I asked my friend, Diana to find me a place near the area of the orphanage. Promise, I'm going to be fine." she said. "Take care, all right?" Alice said. "I will, mom." she said. 

 

She held her luggage, and began to walk towards the gates. Halfway through, she looked back at her parents, and waved goodbye. 

 

And this will be the start of her misadventure.

 

--

 

Meanwhile, in a mansion back in Taipei. 

 

"Aiyo, why are you all so slow! Move now!"

 

Butler Jin shouted at the staff. He was busy preparing as that day, the Ming heiress is coming back for vacation. "The young miss will be here any moment, and you are still not done preparing the mansion, aiyo!" Butler Jin whined. 

 

After a while, a car stopped in front of the grand door. The car door opened, and a young lady came out. "The young miss is here, oh my God!" Butler Jin shouted in panic. The household staff immediately formed a line to greet the Ming heiress. The young lady walked slowly as she made her way inside the mansion. As she walked through the hall, the staff bowed before her. "Welcome back, Young Miss Xiao Xi." they all greeted.

 

Butler Jin immediately came to her, and bowed before her. "Welcome back, Young Miss. I'm glad you're finally here." he said. As he looked up at her, he saw a pout on her face. "Butler Jin, you didn't pick me up from the airport! You usually do that." she whined to him. Butler Jin let out a laugh. "I'm sorry, young miss, but I want to make sure the house is ready when you come home. Promise, next time, I'll be the one to  pick you up, all right?" he said. "Make sure of it because..." she looked at the bodyguards standing behind her, and whispered something to Butler Jin. "They're awfully quiet, as if they don't want to talk to me." she whispered to her trusted butler. 

 

The butler let out a laugh. "Aiyo, don't mind them. Anyway, your father is expecting you. He's in his office." Butler Jin told him. "Then, I'll go and see him." she said. She looked at the household staff, and bowed before them. "Thank you for the warm welcome!" she told them before going to her father's office. 

 

"Awww... Miss Grace is as polite as always!" the oldest maid of the mansion. Fang Di, gushed as she watched the young miss. "What I like about her is she doesn't treat us as if we're low kind of people. She treat us with utmost respect." another maid of the mansion, Claire, said. "I'm so happy Miss Grace is finally back!" Rachel, another maid, commented. 

 

Butler Jin couldn't help but smile upon hearing their comments. He knew how much the Ming household staff have loved their young miss, and how the young miss have loved them as well. "I'm glad the Young Miss is back." he said to himself. 

 

--

 

Gregory Ming was busy reading some important documents, when he heard a knock on the door. "Come in." he said. The door opened, and as he looked up, he saw her daughter coming inside his office. "Daddy dearest!" Grace shouted as she walked towards him. Gregory smiled at her. "Ah, my darling daughter is back!" he said happily. Grace walked to her father, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 

 

"How was your trip in Australia?" he asked. Grace sat on one of the chairs in front of his father. "It was fun! I enjoyed my short vacation there. Except that, there is this weird guy who had mistaken me for someone." Grace told her father. Gregory furrowed his brow as he looked at her daughter. "Did the guy harassed you?" he asked. Grace smiled, and shook her head. "No, but he kept on calling me Pei Ci. And he insisted that he know me. I told him I'm not the girl she is looking for, but he got so confused." Grace said. 

 

Gregory looked away from her daughter. "Someone knew Grace's twin sister..." he thought. "What's wrong, daddy?" he heard Grace ask him. Gregory looked at her, and smiled. "Grace, dear. One day, you will find someone who looks exactly like you." he told her. Grace gave her father a confused look. "What do you mean? Do I have a secret sister that I didn't know?" she asked. Gregory shook his head. "Just trust me on this. One day, if you found that girl who looks exactly like you, trust her with all your heart, all right?" he said. 

 

Grace was still confused with what her father said, but she have to trust him. "All right, daddy. I promise you that." she told him.