Episode 09 - A Tale Of Two Exes

Me And The Twins Next Door

Sam found himself in his favorite bar again that night. He is trying to get drunk once again, hoping it will ease the pain. But he knew that once the alcohol  is gone from his system, the pain will still be there. "Who does she think she is, judging me before knowing my story..." he thought as he gulped down his drink. 

 

He knew he made a mistake before. And that mistake not only hurt Sylvia, it hurt him too. Even if Sylvia is happy now with Wes, he is still hurt because in his heart, he still loves her. "Fill me up." he told the bar tender as he placed the glass on the counter top. "Me too..." 

 

Sam looked beside her, and saw a long haired girl beside her. "You look familiar..." he said as he stared at her. The girl simply laughed at him. Sam let out a laugh as well. "I know, I know. That was a cliche pick up line. But I think I've seen you before." he said. "I haven't been in Taiwan for years, if you think I'm one of the girls you dated." she said. Sam stared at her, then he finally realized who she is. "Tia Lee! You're the international model, right?" he said. Tia just smiled at him. "Wow, just my luck. I'm right next to a supermodel." he said. 

 

"Actually, we've seen each other before..." Tia said. Sam gave her a confused look. "You're Sylvia's boyfriend, right?" Tia told him. "Correction. Ex-boyfriend. We broke up a long time ago." he said. Tia nodded her head. "So, you're back here in Taiwan for good?" Sam asked. Tia let out a sigh. "I came back for a while. I was looking for someone. But unfortunately, I was too late..." she said. 

 

Sam gave her a confused look. "If you remember Sylvia's best friend, Wes?" he said. Sam let out a sigh. "Yeah, I know him." he said. "I asked around in my old neighborhood. Seems like he left to study in another country. Sylvia's away too."

"Why are you looking for Wes?"

"I just have to. There's a lot of things I want to tell him. I'm hoping we could have another chance..."

 

Sam thought for a while, and realized something. He heard back in high school how a girl suddenly left Wes, and he was brokenhearted. "So, she is the girl who broke Wes' heart?" he thought. "He was so in love with me back then. Me too. I love him so much. But he was too young for me. I thought back then, he's just going to ruin his life if he stayed with me. So I left him." Tia told him. Sam nodded his head. "Well, you left a very devastated guy. Well, actually, me too. After Wes got brokenhearted, I also broke up with Sylvia." Sam said. 

 

Tia gave him a confused look. "Why? When I saw you before, you looked so in love with her. I even heard from Wes how he threatened you not to hurt Sylvia, right?" Tia said. Sam said. "Because I was stupid. Because I made a mistake to a friend, so I have to pay it with my heart. Because I promised a friend. I had so many reasons. Just like you, when I came back to win her heart, someone already has it." Sam said. Tia smiled at her. "Then, both of us are still brokenhearted, am I right?" Tia asked him. Sam nodded his head. 

 

She took her drink, and sipped from it. "Wes is the only guy who treated me with respect. That's why it's hard for me to forget him. I tried to be in a few relationships, but none of them can compare to him." Tia said. Sam let out a laugh. "Why do girls I know tend to fall for a guy like Wes?" Sam said. Tia looked at him, and smiled. "It's because of his eyes." she said. 

 

"Well then, let's make a toast." Sam said as he lifted his glass.  "For us, who could still not forget the person we love." Sam said. Tia smiled as he raised her glass to his. "To the ones that got away." she said to him. They bumped their glasses before drinking their drinks all up. 

 

--

 

[Flashback]

 

"Why?"

 

She pleaded, but the only reply to her was a pair of brown eyes staring blankly at her. "Why did you have to do that to me? Why did you have to hurt me?" she asked as she cried. 

 

Only her muffle sob can be heard. "I love you..." she said. And in between her sobs, she could heard those words that hurt her the most. "I never did."

 

[End of Flashback]

 

Pets sat up from her bed. "Why did I think of that again?" she thought. She let out a sigh. Since her argument with Sam a while ago, she can't sleep. She doesn't know if she felt guilty for saying hurting words to him, or because the previous pain she had in her heart came back again. 

 

"I should forget about it. Besides, it's been six years, right?" she thought. She sighed again. Unable to sleep, she decided to head to the living room. She decided to just sit on the couch to think. She had been sitting alone for a long time, when Aaron came out of his bedroom. 

 

"Pets, why are you still awake?" he asked as he yawned. He walked up her, and sat beside her. "I can't sleep..." she said. Aaron looked at her. "Didn't they have a saying that if someone can't sleep, someone is thinking of you? Oh no, is it because I'm thinking of her?" he thought. "Why can't you sleep?" he asked. "I don't know. Maybe because I feel guilty of what I said to that ert awhile ago. Or maybe because..."

 

Pets paused, and shook her head. "Forget it..." she told him. "Well, not to side with Sam... but you did go overboard with what you said. He's right. We don't know what really happened, why he and Sylvia broke up before, right?" he said. Pets nodded his head. "But you did say something that worried me. You've been hurt too, am I right?" Aaron asked. Pets smiled sadly. "Who had never had their heart broken before. It's not just him. It's not just you. I had my fair share too." she told him. 

 

"So, a girl broke your heart before?" Aaron asked. Pets didn't answer him. He knew he is wrong to ask something too personal, but he wanted to know. "Well, I understand if you don't want to answer that. Maybe, it does still hurt you." Aaron said. Pets let out a sigh. "I had a boyfriend before..." Pets began. 

 

Aaron was surprised at what she said. Pets let out a laugh. "I know, it's surprising. How can a tomboy like me have a boyfriend?" she told him. "It's... not surprising at all. I mean, you're very pretty. If you act like a girl, then you can break any guy's heart." Aaron said. Pets smiled. 

 

"I was young, naive, stupid and in love. The guy was a typical player. I was like Juliet, and he's my Romeo. My parents didn't like the guy for me. But, because I was young, stupid and in love, I still went ahead with the relationship. Then, I found out he had another girlfriend. And I was hurt because all the while, I thought he was serious about me. Turns out, I was just up for a bet. I was just a bet. I was just being played by him." she said. 

 

Aaron looked sadly at her, and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Is that why you never liked guys?" Aaron asked. "That's why I stopped liking guys." she said. "Aaron held her hand. She looked at him, and saw him staring at her. "Not all guys are jerks like your ex-boyfriend. There are also guy who always get hurt by a girl. Look at me, all my girlfriends leave me for another guy. Like my latest ex-girlfriend, Gui Gui. I caught her with my best friend. And even if I forgave them, and chose to love her again, I guess I will never be enough, because in the end, she chose my best friend." Aaron said. 

 

Pets smiled sadly at him. "It's just too bad that, right? We can love someone with all our life, but they don't love us back..." she said. Aaron nodded his head. "And it's bad that you fell for my story, right?" Pets said as she tried to suppress her laughter. "Pets!" Aaron said as he pouted. This time, Pets burst out laughing. "I didn't have a boyfriend. I just saw that story on an inflight movie." Pets said. 

 

Aaron sweat dropped as he shook his head. "Joker..." he said. "You look so cute!" Pets said as she pinched his cheek. Aaron could feel his heart beating fast as Pets touched his face. "But I know, there is a painful love story in you. I'll just wait until you're ready to tell it to me." Aaron said. Pets nodded her head. "When I'm ready." she said. 

 

The two of them looked at each other. As Aaron looked at her longer, the more he feels more in love with her. Then, he began to inch towards her. As soon as their nose almost touched, Pets spoke up. "What are you doing?" she asked, staring blankly at him. There was another sweat drop on his forehead. "I... well... this is what happens in romantic movies, right?" Aaron said as he moved away from her. He scratched his head as he made an awkward laugh.

 

"I know you're trying to kiss me. Dude, don't go gay on me. You know we're bros." Pets said. Aaron nodded his head. "Of course, not. I was just testing if you can like guys or not." 

"Then you must know the answer. I will always like girls."

"Affirmative."

"Good."

 

Pets let out a shy smile. "But... you know... if I will start to like guys, I might consider to like you." she said. He smiled at her, although inside his mind, he's jumping with joy. "I have a chance!" he thought. Aaron watched as Pets yawn. "Well, I'm finally sleepy. Goodnight, Aaron." she said. "Good night and sweet dreams. Aaron said. 

 

As Pets stood up, she lost her balance as she was too sleepy. Before she knew it, she fell on Aaron's lap, with her lips on his. Aaron's eyes widened with what happened, and Pets was as surprised as he is. "We... we just kissed?" Aaron thought. "Uh oh, I kissed another guy?!" Pets thought. 

 

Aaron gulped hard. As Pets got into her senses, she moved away from him. She was embarrassed because of what happened. "I'm sorry...." she said apologetically. Aaron looked at her shyly. "It's... it's an accident. I'm sorry too." he said. They looked at each other, then both of them laughed. "We need a shut eye." Aaron said. Pets said in agreement. "Goodnight and sweet dreams." she said. She stood up, and went back to her room. 

 

As he was left alone, Aaron clutched his heart. "Oh my God, I kissed her! I should take responsibility of her from now on!" he thought happily.

 

--

 

Sam woke up the next day, and as he saw the ceiling, he realized he is not home. "Where am I?" he thought. He sat up, and found himself once again. "What happened?" he thought as he massaged his temple. Then, he realized he's in a hotel room.

 

He tried to remember what happened the night before, and then it hit him. "Tia!" he thought. He remembered talking to her at the bar. He remembered drinking with her. They got a little flirtatious, and then the ended up in bed. He wanted to smack himself in the head. "Something happened between me and Wes' ex-girlfriend... just great..." he thought. 

 

He looked at the bedside table, and noticed a small paper on top of it. He took the paper, and read what's on it. "Thank you for last night. I had fun. Tia." he read aloud. Sam let out a sigh. "Well, at least she had fun. But I know who she is thinking while she's in bed with me..." he said to himself. He immediately got out of the bed, and put on his clothes. 

 

Meanwhile, Wayne was trying to call Sam, but it always directs him to his voicemail. Pets paced back and forth anxiously. Sam had not come home the whole night, and all of them were worried. "Where is he?" she asked anxiously. It was her fault that Sam walked out the night before, and if anything happens to him, she knows she is to be blamed. 

 

"What happened, Wayne? Did you reach him?" Aaron asked worriedly. Wayne shook his head. "It's directing to his voicemail. "Should we file a missing person case?" Pets asked. "It's too soon for that. Let's wait first, all right?" Aaron told her. "If Sam is dead, then I need to find another roommate?" Ben said worriedly. Aaron glared at his childhood friend. "Ben! Don't just think about your profit, all right?" he told him. Ben just made a peace sign at him. 

 

Just then, the door opened, and Sam went inside. Everyone looked at him. Wayne let out a sigh of relief upon seeing him. "What's wrong?" Sam asked innocently. "What's wrong?! We are worried about you, stupid! You didn't come home the whole night, I thought something bad happened to you!" Pets shouted at him. 

 

Sam gave her a confused look. "You... are worried about me?" he asked again. He doesn't know why, but knowing Pets was worrying about him made his heart soften a little bit for her. "Of course I am, stupid! What if something happened to you? How can we even find you? How will we explain it to your family? Next time you'll be out all night, have a decency to inform one of us all right?!" she shouted angrily at him. Sam just watched her in disbelief as she stormed back inside her room. 

 

"I made her upset because I didn't go home last night?" he asked, still in disbelief with how Pets reacted. "Of course, all of us were worried. But she was the most worried when she found out you weren't home. She felt guilty about what she said last night." Aaron explained to her. "And she even cooked you breakfast today to say sorry." Wayne added. Ben nodded his head. "But if you don't want the breakfast..."

 

"Ben!" both Aaron and Wayne shouted at him. Ben smiled awkwardly and made another peace sign. Sam let out a sigh, and then he smiled. He doesn't know why, but he felt happy knowing Pets cared for her. Maybe because it's been a long time since someone even cared for him this way. "That creature..." he said as he shook his head.