The Night Before

Tiffany & Timothy

The mega mall was surprisingly empty as Yuri and Tiffany walked along the well-lit halls that were filled with flashy store fronts and the booming of loud music. A handful of people were still loitering around, despite the fact that it was already late on a Thursday evening. While walking, Yuri was thinking of ways to cheer Tiffany up.

However the short raven haired girl beside her only had depressing thoughts on her mind.

‘I can’t believe she said that to me,’ Tiffany thought, following Yuri along. ‘I thought she liked me. This is what I get for being brave and confessing to a girl for the first time. They just slap me in the face and tell me they’re not interested.'

Just as she was about to wander into more depressing thoughts, she felt a gentle arm around her shoulder. It was Yuri, who provided her with some soothing words to improve her disheartened spirit. "It’s okay Fany, that girl doesn't deserve you anyways.”

Yuri had known about her unusual love confession and when she came home with tears, Tiffany’s roommate thought the mall would be the best place to cheer her up.

However, an unusual emptiness spread across her face as they walked from store to store, browsing and peaking at things that she appeared uninterested in. Yuri was determined to make her happy or at least fill her heart with a pleasant emotion.

Giving her a playful nudge, Yuri triggered a faint smile to across Tiffany’s pretty face. Realizing now that Yuri was trying her best, she decided to show some affection for her knight in shining armor. After all, it wasn't easy to cheer someone up, so she decided to think more about shopping rather than wallow in her own depressing thoughts and make her best friend worry.

"Thanks Yuri, I appreciate you spending time with me,” she said as she cutely locked her arm in Yuri's. The two looked like a couple as they walked along.

Her shopping buddy continued her lecture, which she wholeheartedly believed in.

"If she doesn't appreciate you for who you are, then you're better off without her,” argued Yuri. “A girl like you deserves to be treated with respect."

Tiffany lovingly responded, “Thanks appa.”

The disheartened girl liked to call Yuri appa because of the way she always took care of her, through the good and the bad. She would do things that were chivalrous, things that other girls refused to do for Tiffany. That was what she liked about her friend. Yuri had some manliness in her. That probably explained why Yuri had so many obsessed fan girls following her around on campus. She was pretty popular.

Entering Tiffany’s favorite store, they both admired the sights of the luxuriously expensive shoes that were on display. Since it was the winter season it wasn't a surprise to either of them that there was a big sale to celebrate the New Year.

"Can I help you ladies with anything?" asked the salesman with pink hair, a leopard print scarf, tight jeans and a rather odd bronze tan. He didn’t look like he belonged on planet Earth.

Yuri grinned. "Yes, I want you to bring us the iest shoes you've got for a girl who just got rejected, but needs to realize that she can find a better woman."

He had a wide smirk on his face hearing the tale from Yuri's lips. "You girls are in luck, I know just the one!" Raising his right eyebrow suggestively, he merrily went to the back of the store to get the perfect pair.

The two sat on a leather sofa waiting for the otherworldly salesman to get back. Tiffany could feel herself start to slip away from her new mindset as she started to feel unhappy again.

"Yah, don't frown,” complained Yuri, seeing her bad mood comeback. “You look really ugly when you do."

Tiffany gave a weak laugh. "Thanks for the kind words."

Yuri gave her a gentle punch and added, "Yah-I'm serious, I hate seeing you frown."

Tiffany did her best to show a more cheery face. She was normally good at faking her emotions, but she just couldn't do it today. Not after the girl of her dreams had told her off."What do you mean by a better woman by the way?" asked the heartbroken girl.

"Oh,” said Yuri, caught a little off guard. “Well aren't you a lesbian now?"

Tiffany thought it over carefully as she sat there. Was she really was attracted to women? Growing up she always thought boys were cute and handsome, but this recent crush had thrown her preconceptions of who she was out the window. Her ual preferences were far from crystal clear.

"No I'm not quite sure what I am," Tiffany answered.

Yuri looked puzzled. "What do you mean you’re not sure?"              

"I mean, I've only found Jessica attractive."

Yuri gave a playful pout. "That hurts Tiffany."

"Well, you're my best friend,” she answered with seriousness. “If I looked at you ually, we would have problems."

Yuri didn't see anything wrong with that. “Is it wrong for you to be attracted to your friend?” she asked.

Tiffany shrugged it off. She couldn't think of Yuri in that particular way.

Changing the subject, the taller girl added, "Jessica was always so flirty with you."

She was relieved to hear that she wasn’t imagining things. "Yeah, you can understand why I got the wrong signals right?"

"Absolutely!” exclaimed Yuri. “Why if any girl was flirting and touching me like that, I would've thought they were a lesbian too!"

All the people in the store looked at Yuri who blurted out her words without a second thought for those around her . It was a rather rambunctious response, but Tiffany appreciated her support. The awkward atmosphere caused Tiffany to let out a laugh. It made Yuri smile.

The salesman finally came back with a face of accomplishment. He held a pretty shoe box in his arms. Opening it, he revealed a killer pair of y black pumps that had red bottoms. Other girls in the store stared in marvel.

"Come on, try them on," encouraged Yuri.

Doing as she was told, Tiffany slipped them on in front of the mirror. She felt better the moment her feet comfortably molded with the heels. Admiring her feminine figure in the mirror, the black shoes complimented her porcelain skin and accentuated the curves of her lower body. Walking beside Yuri, she was now face-to-face with her, almost standing at the same height. Now the crowd that was so shocked by Yuri’s loud ‘Lesbian!’ yell, could not help but look at Tiffany, who was modeling and posing for all to see.

"You y momma," said her roommate eyeing her up and down, giving a flirtatious whistle.

The flamboyant salesman agreed, “My goodness. Those are so hot on you!”

Handing her credit card to the clerk, Yuri coolly said, “We'll take it." The man was ecstatic to grab another sale. He happily rang up the shoes at the counter, despite Tiffany's attempts to try and stop her thoughtful roommate. However, Yuri overpowered her.

"It's okay, I've got it,” she asserted. “You've got a good appa in Yuri." Tiffany watched in amazement, as she entered her pin in the credit card machine, receiving a shopping bag and the receipt moments later. The clerk helped Tiffany get everything in order so that she could wear the impressive shoes out the store.

Still attempting to change her mind after the sale was finalized, Tiffany cutely asked, “Are you sure about this?”

Yuri waved the question aside. “Of course! Anything for my Fany.”

They left the store happy. Tiffany could not hide her wide grin as she walked with her new shoes, catching the attention of the people around her. Seeing her with a new confidence, Yuri gave the receipt a good look over and her satisfied smirk disappeared. Her eyes went wide at the final price. Yuri never felt more like an appa. A sugar appa.

Tiffany clapped her hands and laughed seeing the surprise on her friend’s face. A familiar eye smile ran across her face, as she argued, “I tried to stop you!”

Yuri recalled that red bottom shoes were notorious with a particularly expensive designer brand. She almost wanted to curse out loud, but held it in, seeing her friend’s expression. It looked like Yuri would need to take some extra shifts at work for the next few months to pay it off.

After some more shopping, they made their way to the nearby coffee shop for a boost of energy. They inhaled the smell of freshly ground coffee, which awakened them almost immediately. Seeing only a few people in line, they went up to order.

As they moved closer to the counter, Tiffany noticed a sparkling penny on the ground in front of her. Normally, she wouldn't pick something like that off the floor, but after a bad day, she felt like she needed some good fortune. Yuri watched as Tiffany bent down in her new heels to grab the coin, only to end up in a y pose that made her nicely shaped stick out at the people behind her. A man walking behind them had a nosebleed upon seeing the sight, while another nearly spilled his hot coffee all over his lap. Yuri had some dirty thoughts on her mind, seeing her in such a suggestive position.

"Geez Tiffany,” Yuri said with a mocking tone. “I know I've been doing a good job cheering you up, but you don't need to start putting the moves on me already."

Tiffany swiveled her head to her friend and suddenly realized that she was in a rather compromising position. Feeling embarrassed, she quickly shot up and revealed the shiny circle in between her fingers.

"A lucky penny," she said as she gave cute eye smile while showing it to Yuri.

Her roommate responded with an equally adorable expression. “Ooo.”

While Yuri was ordering, Tiffany was eyeing the circular object in the palm of her hand like a kid with a new toy. Yuri, who didn’t take kindly to her friend's divided attention, tried to grab it from her. However, the girl reacted with cat like reflexes, and closed her hand to protect her new charm. She gave a pouting face to the thwarted thief, who looked determined to steal it from her.

"Don't you want to put that lucky penny towards a lucky latte?" argued Yuri, reaching for her wallet to pay the cashier who was totally surprised to see such beauties at his counter.

Tiffany shook her head cutely. "Not a chance. It's my first one."

Yuri was surprised to hear her confession. "First one? You’ve never picked a penny off the ground before?”

“Nope, never.”

“Wow. So you're not superstitious?"

"I only believe in ghosts,” Tiffany replied. “All that curse or lucky charm business seems a little ridiculous to me. I mean carrying around a stuffed rabbit’s foot just sounds inhumane," the girl frowned just thinking about it.

“Then why are you holding that penny like it’s worth a million dollars?” asked Yuri as she eyed the coin that was hidden inside her cute protective fist.

“I feel like I could use some luck in my life,” confessed the shorter girl. “Anyways your right, it's just a penny.”

After a short wait they got their delicious Chai Tea and London Fog lattes and headed to some more of Tiffany’s favorite stores. Yuri was being an excellent shopping buddy and sugar appa, by forcing her to try on a ton of clothes and giving her ample praise each time she stepped out of the changing room, clapping and giving whistles when appropriate.

Tiffany was now feeling more like her normal self, but still had those sad thoughts in the back of her mind.

As they finally exited the last store, in what most would consider a long and tiring time at the mall, Yuri couldn’t help but ask out of curiosity, “Are you feeling better?”

Tiffany gave her friend a big frown and then turned it upside down into a wide smile. "Way better,” she answered. “Thanks Yuri."

To show her appreciation, she attempted to give Yuri the biggest hug she could, while carrying a large amount of shopping bags that were filled with her new clothes and accessories. Yuri could not hide her happy smile, as she hugged the shorter girl back, also with arms full of the girl’s new stuff. Inside her mind her mission to cheer up Tiffany was a complete success.

Before the mall closed for the night, they decided to rest for a while after their long shopping spree. They decided to take the most scenic and tranquil seat in the entire megamall which was next to an archaic looking wishing fountain that had a ton of intricate statues and designs all over it. It was huge, and was really a fixture that many people in the mall loved. The sound of the falling water provided a serene atmosphere for a private conversation.

"So do you want to know how it happened?" asked Tiffany who was feeling a little more talkative.

"How what happened?"

"The rejection."

Yuri was glad Tiffany was opening up. It meant that she was starting to get over it. Scooting forward to hear her roommate, she replied, "Sure."

Collecting her thoughts from the afternoon Tiffany began to describe the events that had happened. She had called Jessica for a friendly hangout between the two of them. Of course, she accepted the invitation and was excited to go. As a careful planner, Tiffany had devised a perfect date to ensure that Jessica would have a good time. During most of the afternoon she was being her normal flirtatious self which gave Tiffany the confidence to express her feelings. Reluctantly, she admitted to Yuri that she ended up taking Jessica to where they first met to confess.

Yuri was surprised. “Seriously? That’s the cheesiest thing ever. I thought a girl who watched so many romance movies would do better.”

“Yeah, yeah…” answered Tiffany, slightly embarrassed.She knew it was cheesy, but thought Jessica would like it.

"Then what happened?" Yuri questioned.

“I told her that I had feelings for her.”

“And?”

"She said something that really hurt,” said Tiffany as she gave an uncomfortable wince as she thought about it.

Yuri's curious expression encouraged her to go on.

Imitating the Jessica’s voice Tiffany said, "I'm sorry you got the wrong idea. I'm not into girls. I like men."

Shocked, Yuri stood up from the bench in total disbelief and blurted out, "Jessica said that?!"

Again, the crowd around them gave her funny stares. Tiffany didn't laugh this time.

Yuri continued, “The girl touches you all the time, and even puts her arm around your waist like she owns you!”

Tiffany nodded her head. "I know...and she always gives me those weird stares and makes those flirty noises. I think she just used that as an excuse.”

“No way! I’m sure plenty of girls would totally jump at the chance to date you. I bet you have a ton of admirers that you don’t even know about,” retorted Yuri.

Tiffany let that thought sit in her head. ‘Do I really have admirers?’“Then you really think she likes boys?” she asked.

“Definitely. I never thought she was straight,” she answered, giving a perplexed face.

Letting out a tired sigh, Tiffany asked, “It’s wrong for me to be mad at someone for having ual preferences, isn't it Yuri?"

"Yes. Yes it is," she replied rather bluntly

Tiffany let out a tortured laugh at her friend’s cold response.

"Don't worry. At least you know she didn't reject you for who you are," Yuri added, giving her a gentle pat on the shoulder.

Those thoughts were in Tiffany’s mind for nearly the whole day. Jessica got along with her so well, and something as trivial as gender prevented them from being more than just friends. She hated it.

"I just wish I wasn't who I am," Fany commented.

Yuri was surprised by her little comment, "What do you mean?! You’re Tiffany Hwang, one of the most awesome girls I know."

"I know but life would be so much easier if I was a boy," Tiffany's tone had some conviction to it.

"You really think so?" asked a surprised Yuri who was now considering a male Tiffany in her head.

Tiffany argued, "Boys have it easier in almost every way! They don’t have to worry about being called a when they hang out with the opposite . They don't have periods or PMS and all the annoying cramps that come with it. Heck, they can even reach easier than us and I would've had a shot with Jessica." Tiffany gave her first real frown since the shoe store.

Yuri noticed it immediately.She felt disappointment as she realized that her mission was not a complete success.

"Well that's not necessarily true Fany. You shouldn’t change yourself to be with someone," replied Yuri. “She never gave you a chance and it’s her loss. You deserve someone better. Someone who loves you for you.”

“Yeah, but she was my first real crush. I wanted her so bad,” she countered.

“That’s life,” Yuri responded. She joked, "Who would've thought that our pink-loving girly girl would want to have a ."

Tiffany poked her tongue out at Yuri mockingly, which caused her friend to do the same. Taking out her lucky penny, Tiffany admired its shine under the mall's white lighting. It looked almost magical as it sparkled in her fingers.

Staring at the beautiful statue that spewed water in front of her, she was reminded of the tale she had heard about fountains. Tiffany had an urge to make a wish. Pointing to the fixture, she asked, "Yuri, what's the superstition for wishing fountains?"

Her roommate already knew where she was going with this.

"Well Fany. You take a penny like so." Yuri took one out of her wallet for demonstration purposes, as she positioned herself to show the proper procedures.

"You turn your back to the fountain like this, and then you throw it over your shoulder and think of a wish really REALLY hard.” Yuri made a cute thinking face that made Tiffany smirk. “If it lands inside the fountain, your wish will be granted." She watched as Yuri did as she had explained. Tightly closing her eyes and straining her face in concentration, she tossed a penny over her left shoulder for a tiny splash.

Tiffany followed suit.

Turning her back to the fountain, she took out her new lucky penny and chucked it over her shoulder. She made her wish and even did a cute concentrated face to mimic Yuri’s demonstration.

‘I wish I wasn't just a helpless girl. I wish I could be a man,’ she thought as she heard the sound of the penny hitting the serene pool of water.

As Tiffany opened her eyes, Yuri couldn’t contain her curiosity and asked, "What'd you wish for?"

"Not telling or it won't come true,” responded the shorter girl.

“I hope you were smart enough to wish for a hot future girlfriend or boyfriend like I did." Tiffany laughed at Yuri's little joke as they left the mall together arm in arm, completely unaware of what had just happened.