The Danshin Duo

Tiffany & Timothy

 

 

The bright morning sun irritated Taeyeon as she walked up the steps leading to her morning lecture hall. Yesterday had been another wild night of partying that had been cut all too short by her annoying bodyguard.

“Yah, don’t think about doing something stupid,” said a voice from behind her. It was Sunny. It always seemed like her bodyguard could read the shorter girl’s thoughts.

Taeyeon came from a rich family, which gave her a unique youth that normal people could never dream of. But having an annoying bodyguard that followed her around was more of a nightmare than a dream.

“Can’t you ever lighten up?” asked Taeyeon as she thought about how she could escape from her guardian’s watchful eyes.

“Maybe,” she answered rather coldly, “if you would be more responsible for once.”

Hearing the comment caused Taeyeon to feel insulted. “Hey!” she yelled, outraged. She stopped just outside of her lecture hall to give her own little talk to someone that was by all means, below her. “I’m very responsible. Just look at what I’m doing right now!”

Sunny started laughing at her ward, mockingly. “Yeah, which is why you had to transfer from Harvard to this dump of a college.”

Taeyeon took offense to her harsh comment, but ignored it as they entered the massive arts building for her first class of the year. The last thing she wanted was to be caught in another one of Sunny’s unbreakable headlocks. Sure, the girl was dressed like any other student on campus, but she was really a black belt in all sort of -Fu’s -tsu’s and -Do’s and could easily beat the living snot out of anyone. That list included Taeyeon. 

Over the years, Taeyeon had tried her best to be a good and faithful daughter to her successful multi-millionaire mother and father. She rarely ever lied to her parents, and did her best to do well in school but she always got distracted. The fact of the matter was, Taeyeon wanted to have fun rather than work ridiculous hours like her parents. She wanted to at least enjoy her youth and had a desire to experience all the things that could be experienced, travel the world, and to find that special someone in her life. Harvard was an adventure rather than an academic conquest for her. Now that it was gone, she had a new environment which she hoped to also enjoy. It was at this time that she reminisced on her first year abroad, and all the things that she had experienced.

“What stuipid thing are you daydreaming about now?” questioned Sunny, as she herded Taeyeon towards her classroom. She had noticed the girl in her own bubble and abruptly bursted it.

“Get out of my head!” shouted Taeyeon. “I really need to get you checked; I don’t understand how you can read my mind like this.”

“Just call me Jean Gray,” Sunny replied.

Taeyeon scoffed at the joke. She lined up outside the classroom and waited for the crowd of students in front of her to start heading inside.

Sunny and Taeyeon stood there quietly. They were trying not to draw too much attention. After all a wealthy real estate heiress still made tabloid and news headlines from time-to-time. There was a chance that somebody would recognize her, so they kept a low profile.

“Remember, no more socializing with the wrong crowd,” lectured Sunny, as she stretched her arms rather intimidatingly in all sorts of directions. “You’re here to be normal.”

Taeyeon scoffed at the word normal.

It was Sunny’s job to watch over the rich girl, especially after the Harvard incident that got her kicked out of the ivy-league university in the first place.

The two finally started moving forward as the doors opened, welcoming the students in.

Taeyeon checked her purse to make sure that she had packed enough snacks to keep her awake during a two hour lecture that she thought would be pretty boring.

Getting settled, they sat near the back corner, again to avoid any unwanted attention. It was a rather secluded area, but since the seating was elevated like a staircase, it still provided a decent view of the podium where the professor was setting up for his lecture.

“Do you mind giving me some space?” requested Taeyeon as she sat down. The girl was clearly annoyed with her bodyguard that stuck to her like a shadow. Sunny always took it upon herself to sit and stand beside her whenever possible. “It’s not like I’m the president’s daughter,” Taeyeon said mockingly. “You just have to watch over me, not take a bullet.”

Sunny, who was wearing a pair of Ray-ban sunglasses took off her shades to reveal her pretty eyes. She picked up her bag, and took out Taeyeon’s books, handing them to her. They looked light in her small hands. She looked around to make sure there was no one suspicious, and agreed to adhere to her request. “Alright, I’ll make myself invisible, but I’ll be watching you.”

Her words sent shivers up Taeyeon’s spine. “I’m so glad that you’ll be doing that,” she told her sarcastically.

 She got comfortable and appreciated her time away from Sunny. However, Taeyeon eventually started to look around for her bodyguard to see where she had decided to blend in. Somehow, Sunny had vanished and was no where to be seen, yet Taeyeon knew she was watching her. There was no way she would leave her unattended.

After a few more minutes, the lecture hall filled up like a busy movie theatre, but Taeyeon began to feel out of place as everyone moved passed her to sit with friends or acquaintances. It seemed like people in this second year class had already established their groups and cliques. Taking out her laptop, she opened a document for note-taking and surfed the web to feel less weird, waiting for someone to sit by her side. Finally a sweet and husky voice caught her attention.

“Is it okay if I sit here?”

Taeyeon turned to stare at the girl who had arrived at her row. She was by herself and Taeyeon could feel her heart pump with excitement. “Yeah, of course,” replied Taeyeon, enthustiastic. She gave the girl a good look over.

She was pretty, attractive yet cute. Her long black locks, pretty porcelian cheeks, complemented her beautiful eyes. She had an ‘other-worldly’ beauty. Taeyeon knew that it would be hard to pay attention in lecture with a girl like this sitting beside her.

The girl quickly introduced herself to satiate Taeyeon’s growing curiosity. “I’m Tiffany by the way.”

Taeyeon pulled back her strawberry blonde hair and tried her best to look pretty. She gave a wide and bright smile. “I’m Taeyeon. It’s nice to meet you.”

The two shook hands, but the professor began his lecture which interrupted their ice breaker. The two of them sat there focused, but on completely different things. While Tiffany was typing away all that was said, Taeyeon was thinking of ways to stir up a conversation. Unfortunately, even after 20 minutes, no good ideas had popped up in her head.

Taeyeon watched as Tiffany reached into her purse and pulled out a bag of jellys. “You want some?” she asked, offering the bag to her new acquaintance.

The shorter girl felt like she was in a dream. Not only was this girl beautiful, but she had somehow managed to have her favorite snack just lying around in her bag. This felt like destiny.

“I would love some,” she replied, as she reached into the bag to grab a modest handful of the colourful sweets. “Do you like jellys too?”

“They’re okay. I just feel like having some sugar while in class sometimes,” replied Tiffany.

Taeyeon felt this weird and brooding feeling wash over her. It was Sunny. Somewhere, the bodyguard was watching the two of them, sending vibes towards her that did not seem all that pleasant. ‘I’m just making some friends, damn it!’ thought Taeyeon as she looked for the ninja-like girl.

She imagined how Sunny would reply. 'You’re totally into her, who the heck are you kidding?'

Unfortunately, it was true. Taeyeon liked Tiffany already, and wanted to get to know her in all sorts of ways. Coming to a new school, this was a fresh start and she was the first face that had caught her interest in a long time.

Taeyeon kept quiet, but reached into her own bag to offer the girl a bottle of water as she noticed her looking rather parched.

“Oh, thanks,” she replied, cracking the bottle open, taking a swig of the refreshing water.

Taeyeon was in awe. Even as she drank from the bottle, she looked attractive and ladylike. She knew that this girl had to have a boyfriend. She waited until the break and cleverly asked her. “Have you seen any cute guys around campus?”

Tiffany laughed, “There are some, but they’re rare.”

“Are you dating anyone right now?”

“No, I’m single,” she said, surprising Taeyeon. But this only made her even more interested.

She watched as Tiffany reached for her phone to check a text message. “My friend’s going to join us if you don’t mind,” she said, closing her phone and looking around the room for someone that had yet to arrive.

“Is it okay if you send me your notes?” asked Taeyeon innocently. “I sort of zoned out during class”

“Absolutely. What’s your e-mail?”

“Here, why don’t we just exchange contact info? I’m new to the school and it’d be nice to have someone to talk too.”

Tiffany nodded, accepting her little proposal. After sharing their information, Taeyeon began to explain her complicated story of how she had transferred from Harvard to their college in Korea. The whole act worked wonders with the well-mannered girl who felt sympathy for her.

It was then that Taeyeon saw a blonde come up to the two of them, entering their row.

“Fany-ah, sorry for being late,” said the newcomer. Taeyeon could only watch as Tiffany hugged the girl and made room for the girl beside her.

Something was going on. Taeyeon’s gaydar was going off the charts. Either these two had something, or one of them was a lesbian. Watching their interaction only confirmed this.

“You’re such a sleepyhead!” yelled Tiffany rather bluntly. “I always have to take notes for you.”

“Sorry, Fany.” The blonde leaned her head on her shoulder rather innocently and gave a suggestive grin. “Do you forgive me?”

Taeyeon watched Tiffany’s expression carefully, until the girl turned to meet her eyes. They just stared at each other blankly, until Tiffany realized that she had not introduced the two of them. “Oh, Taeyeon. This is my friend Jessica.”

The heiress introduced herself and explained her story to the beautiful blonde who sat up to listen to her words. She was attractive, but for some reason, Taeyeon did not like the way she acted around Tiffany.

Their little conversation was cut short as the professor continued with his lecture.

Taeyeon could not help but lose concentration as Tiffany and Jessica were whispering away. The raven-haired beauty was totally different around the blonde. At first, she thought it was just two good friends catching up, but soon they were giggling and touching each other which caused her great concern and jealousy. There was no way that she was going to lose out to Jessica.

Interrupting their latest bonding moment, Taeyeon asked, “Hey, did you hear what the professor just said? I missed it.”

Tiffany shook her head, but immediately went back to focus on the lecture. Jessica realized that she was preventing her friend from learning, and turned in her seat to listen.

‘That shut them up,’ thought Taeyeon as she continued to ponder their bizarre relationship.

After what seemed like an eternity, the class ended and the trio got up to pack their things.

Tiffany turned to Jessica and asked, “Are you free next next Friday? I was thinking we could hangout just the two of us.”

The blonde gave her a cute smile. “Sure, I don’t see why not.”

Tiffany responded with an eye-smile, which Taeyeon noticed. It made her incredibly jealous.

“Do you guys want to grab something to eat?” asked Tiffany, as they got up to leave their row.

Taeyeon knew that Sunny was somewhere in the crowd of dispersing students, but she could not quite tell where she was. Feeling safe, she said, “Sure, let’s do it.” They left the lecture hall, seemingly alone, but the heiress knew better.

Walking along the halls towards the student centre, Taeyeon dwelved deeper into their relationship. “So, Jessica how do you and Tiffany know each other?”

“We’ve been friends since high school,” she replied.

Taeyeon continued a very clever little game and uncovered more surprising facts about the two. They were born in the same hospital, grew up in the same city in America, and even liked the same food. When she heard that they had initially hated each other, she thought it was a good sign until Tiffany explained that they were now close like sisters.

‘Lesbian sisters,’ thought Taeyeon, whose gaydar rarely ever steered her in the wrong direction.

They entered the student centre and made their way to the restaurant that was located in the underground level of the massive and modern complex. Sitting at a small circular table, a waiter handed them some menus, as they started to talk about some rather casual topics. Taeyeon was beginning to realize that she was making herself a little too inquisitive.

It was at that time that Taeyeon noticed Sunny enter the restaurant. “Table for one please," she said, loudly so that they could overhear her. Like a professional actor, she looked towards their direction and had a surprised but pleasant look on her face. "Taeyeon! Long time no see!”

‘Drat’, thought Taeyeon as Sunny headed their way. She told the hostess that she wanted to sit with her friend instead.

“Taeyeon, how are you?” asked her bodyguard, who introduced herself to the others as ‘Sunny Lee’. She was doing her adorable and friendly act that seemed to work wonders on Jessica and Tiffany.

“How do you two know each other?” asked Jessica.

Sunny smiled and continued to deliver an Oscar worthy performance. “Oh, we go way back, isn’t that right Taeyeon?”

The strawberry blonde nodded, realizing that she had to play along.

“It’s a good thing she got kicked out of Harvard or we might not be hanging out with each other almost every day,” said Sunny, with a hint of sarcasm that Taeyeon had noticed.

‘I don’t like being around you either!’ she thought, eyeing her bodyguard with contempt.

Sunny gave Taeyeon a seemingly friendly punch on the shoulder that almost knocked the girl off her chair. Again, her psychic powers were just scary.

The four of them continued to chat until Taeyeon also asked Jessica about cute guys and got a rather uninterested answer.

“None of the guys around here are very attractive. But that’s just me,” she commented as they continued to eat.

Sunny was doing a surprisingly good job socializing with the two of them, but Taeyeon could tell that she was soaking up all the information she could, creating a psychographic profile for each of them in her mind.

Taeyeon watched as Tiffany offered a fork of her salad to Jessica, which she accepted and ate rather happily. They were that close. The blonde just indirectly kissed her growing love interest. The real-estate heiress could only watch as Tiffany used the fork again to grab another mouthful of salad, completely unafraid of Jessica’s saliva.

Sunny noticed it as well, and mocked them by doing a similar little action with Taeyeon. “Sweetie, open up!” she said with a burst of aegyo.

“Not a chance in hell,” her ward replied bluntly.

“Oh, come on!” joked Sunny as she caused the two other girls to laugh wholeheartedly.

Taeyeon made a little vomiting motion which only more laughter to ensue. After what seemed like some more funny moments, they finished their little lunch and got the bill from a nearby waiter.

“I’ll take care of it,” said Taeyeon, who handed her credit card to the waiter before anyone could stop her. “Think of it as me treating some new friends.”

Tiffany struggled to pay Taeyeon back; Jessica was impressed, while Sunny could only sit there and give Taeyeon a curious look. “Where are you guys off to now?”

Jessica explained that she had a class to attend, while Tiffany had to meet up with her roommate for a little study session. Taeyeon felt like this was a good time for them to part ways. A first-meeting should never be too long. They waved goodbye to Jessica, who seemed to be late for her next class, while Sunny and Taeyeon walked with Tiffany to the library.

“Jessica seems nice,” Taeyeon said as she examined Tiffany’s expression. “Are you two dating?”

Tiffany stopped on the sidewalk, absolutely flabbergasted by the question. “What? No! Where’d you get that idea?”

It was at that moment that Sunny chimed in. “Why are you asking Taeyeon? Are you interested?”

Both of the girls grew red with the comments that had been tossed in the air. The bodyguard stood there with a smug look on her face.

Tiffany tried to make the situation less awkward. “We’re just friends. I’m not like that.”

For some weird reason, Taeyeon didn't buy it. Her gaydar was off the charts earlier. She knew that Tiffany was probably just unsure or rather confused about her feelings. Taeyeon decided that she would be the girl to help her discover it. Dirty ideas formed in her head until she felt a hard smack on the shoulder. It was Sunny.

“Come on, let’s take Tiffany to the library like we said.” Leave it to the bodyguard to get the group back on track.

Finally they arrived at the library that impressed Taeyeon and Sunny with its massive size. For a brief moment, they both realized that this college might not be so awful after all.

“Fany-ah!” shouted a voice from the entrance. It was Yuri, and she approached the raven haired girl with a smile. Taeyeon looked up in amazement at the taller girl, who was rather attractive in her own right. More y than cute, she had curves that she envied. “Who are these two?” she asked, pointing to Taeyeon and Sunny.

Again, the danshin duo introduced themselves and shook hands with the taller girl. 

“It’s nice to meet you guys," said Yuri, giving a polite smile. "Did you want to study with us?”

Taeyeon looked around at the students who all seemed so hard at work. She smiled and was about to accept their offer until Sunny cut in. “We’ve got to get going.”

Tiffany gave them both a sad look. “You too, Taeyeon?”

The strawberry blonde gave a quick look at Sunny who had that ‘Don’t you even dare’ grin on her face. “Yeah," she said, nervous. "But it was awesome meeting you guys.”

Tiffany shot her another eye-smile, which nearly knocked Taeyeon out cold. It was official. Taeyeon was into her, and she was determined to get her, even if Sunny or a hot blonde named Jessica stood in her way.

This time, it seemed like her psychic bodyguard somehow missed her defiant thought. Taeyeon watched as Sunny politely bowed to the two girls and waved goodbye to them as they headed off towards the library.

Turning, they made there way towards the parking lot and talked about their new acquaintances.

“So you like that Tiffany girl, huh?” Sunny was well aware of Taeyeon’s interest in women.

“You know what’s going on in my head better than anyone Ms. Gray,” the ward replied rather mockingly.

“Yeah, I think she’s actually good for you.”

For once, Taeyeon did not look at Sunny with resentment but in surprise. She had to pinch her cheeks to make sure this afternoon was not some pleasant dream. That she had somehow dozed off in class and imagined all of it in her head. “Who are you, and what have you done with Sunny?”

The bodyguard let out a chuckle. “I’m serious. I know about your other relationships and those girls weren’t good for you. They were destructive.”

“How’d you know about that?” asked Taeyeon as she tilted her head in confusion.

Sunny waved her question off. It didn't matter where she got her information from, because it was always accurate. Getting out the Kim family car keys, she unlocked the doors to their black Lexus as they got in. “Tiffany seems like a sweet girl. I know that you hate me for watching over you, but you have my full support.”

For the first time, Taeyeon appreciated Sunny and realized that maybe it wasn't all that bad to have someone as skilled as she was by her side. “So you’ll help me?”

Starting the engine, Sunny gave a rather confident smile. “Of course.”

 

***

Note: Jean Gray is from the X-men Comic Books. Her skill is telepathy.