Chapter Twenty-One

Time Lapse

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y - O n e .

B a e k h y u n

Back when we were in middle school, Mi Ho was just a girl in my class. But she’s known for being smart. She was second to me at that time that’s why I know. I don’t know why she’s always smiling even though there are a lot of things to be pissed out in this world. Girls screaming because of my looks is one. I remembered the day when her mom died, a teacher came in running and called her name. Everybody is whispering all about it. How her Mom was bed ridden at the hospital for months now. That she was always heading there after school to visit her. Her Mom is popular because she owns a flower shop and everybody likes her. I watch as they ran outside heading for a car. A guy was there, maybe a little bit older than us standing at the gate. Maybe that’s her brother.

But at that time I didn’t care. Not until I saw her smiling the day after her Mom died. I thought, that girl has gone mad. How can she smile like that when her mother just died? Everyone was worried for her because she acted like nothing happened. We all attended the funeral because that’s only a given since she’s our classmate. She didn’t even shed a tear as her Mom goes in the grave. That’s when everybody started to avoid her. Saying that she doesn’t have a heart and all.

“Baekhyun, practice. Aren’t you going?” Chanyeol asked.

“Coming. I’ll just turn this over to the teacher then I’ll go.”

“Alright.” Chanyeol left ahead of me. I head to the faculty office when I heard people talking. I stop and stare. It’s that girl and a group of girls surrounding her. She’s bruised all over. “What are you doing?”

The group of girls gasped and ran away leaving Mi Ho behind on the ground. She’s not moving. I walk closer to her. When she notices, she looks up at me. “O..Oh, um... thank you very much!” She smiles and stands. She pats her skirt before leaving.

“She’s really gone mad.” I mumble to myself and headed to the faculty room. I left the attendance book on the table since our homeroom teacher wasn’t there. When I head back after getting my bag from the locker I heard a voice coming from the girl’s comfort room. Rather, a sob.

“I’m sorry Mom... I really am trying. But it’s so hard to smile.. but I’ll..keep on trying.. for you... for Oppa and for Dad.” I don’t know why but the moment I heard her voice I stepped inside and locked the door when I see girls on their way inside. I waited for her to finish crying. So she hasn’t gone mad. All this time, she was going through a hard time all by herself. Trying not to break the promise that she kept with her mom, she tried to smile. “Oh.” She stops on her tracks seeing me.

“Next time, lock the door.” I say and left the comfort room.

»« »« »«

Ever since then, she keeps on getting in my line of sight. I hate it. I don’t want anything to do with other people because it’s bothersome. But somehow, this girl keeps on getting in my life. Now she’s at the same high school as I am. Worse, she’s sitting in front of me.

“Wait here, I’ll go get our food.” I nod seeing Chanyeol leave. I can feel a gaze in front of me. She’s staring. I just know it.

“What?”

“Um, I don’t know but maybe I got this wrong. But you’re the guy who helped me twice right? Back in middle school!” Is she stupid? We’re in the same class. She doesn’t even remember my name?! Even though I was the guy that every girl in school is crushing on?!

“Are you stupid?”

“I’m so sorry! You see, I have troubles remembering people ever since my mother died. Oh! But I can remember now.” She’s smiling again. It just pisses me off. She didn’t even remember me?

“What’s my name?”

“Huh? Oh! B.. it starts with a B..”

“You said you can remember now!”

She chuckles. “I’m trying harder now. Can you please tell me again?”

“How can you even smile at your state?”

Her smiles changes to a painful one. Did I say something wrong? “It’s because I don’t know what to do but smile.” I don’t know why, but what she said went straight to my heart.

“Give me your hand.”

“Hm?”

“ARE YOU DEAF?! HAND! Give me!!”

“Oh! I’m sorry! Here.” She extends her hand and I hold it. “Wha-“

“Shut up. My mom always told me that if you hold people’s hand it will help them feel better.” Ugh. This is so embarrassing. Why am I doing this anyway?!

“Oh. Thank you, Baekhyun.” I freeze and she smiles at me. Just now, she called me by my name and she doesn’t even notice she remembers me.

»« »« »«

I was about to head back to the classroom when I came across the music room and see a piano. It’s been a while since I’ve last played this. I walk inside seeing nobody in the place and shut the door close. Maybe it would not hurt playing a bit.

I let my fingers work through the piano and before I knew it, I finished playing. When I open my eyes, I saw Mi Ho sitting in front of me staring at me in awe. I stand in surprise and she smiled. “That was a nice song.”

“You could’ve made a sound coming in.”

“I didn’t want to disturb you. It was just so beautiful.” I stand sighing. She’s just saying that because she’s easy to please.

“You just easily romanticize everything you see.”

She chuckles nodding. “Because everything I see you do is just beautiful.” Damn. Whenever she say those kind of things, I’m always caught off guard. I just- “Wha! Baekhyun?!”

Her scent, it’s always nice. And her hair falling straight to my fingers like this... “Do you always say those kinds of things to men?”

She flushed and shakes her head. “Why would I? Baekhyun’s my best friend.” She smiles.

I sigh and chuckle. “Best friend huh?”

“Mm. Is something wrong?”

I grab a lock of her hair putting it on my lips as I stare at her. “You shouldn’t make assumptions if it’s not mutual for both parties.”

»« »« »«

“A music box?”

“Yes! I asked Mr. Park for one when he brought me to that store the other day!” Seulgi said with excitement written on her face.

“Oh that shop. Yeah I had one made myself when I was a kid. They really make good music boxes. Here you go.” Chanyeol places a piece of custard cake in my table and pours me some tea.

“Music box huh?” I gave it some thought. Mi Ho’s birthday is coming up soon and I was thinking of what to give her. Maybe that will do. I have a melody in mind anyway. “Chanyeol, bring me to that shop.”

“I didn’t know it will interest you.” He smiles. “Is it for Mi Ho’s birthday?”

“S..Shut up! Just bring me there now!”

“Alright, alright.”

The shop was more run down than I expected. I thought it would be fancy and all but it’s not. It actually looks like an antique store to be exact. “Is this the place?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure you’re not mistaken?” Chanyeol chuckles and shakes his head.

“I am sure.” He walks ahead of me and I follow. Seeing the inside of the shop makes it more convincing of its purpose. I scan the place and grab one music box. When I open it, so typical, a ballerina dancing as the music plays. I scoff. Is this even a good gift?

"It appears that young master's tastes in that of a critique." An old man approached me and smiled. "Are you looking for something in particular?"

"I am thinking of getting one for a gift. But I want it to be unique."

We can get one made for you. Do you have a melody in mind?"

"Yes. But how would you make use of it?"

"You can play here Baekhyun. Grandpa will figure things out." Chanyeol points at the piano near the window. I nod but I still don't know how he will make use of it. I play the melody in my mind. The one that Mi Ho heard me play at the music room the other day.

"That is a nice melody."

"I just heard it somewhere. She seemed to like it so-" I hear a chuckle. I turn seeing Chanyeol laugh. I flush. Now he knows it's for Mi Ho! "Don't laugh!"

"I apologize. That was rude of me." He clears his throat and looked away.

"Can you tell me why you're giving her a music box as a gift?" I eye the old man. Why the sudden interrogation?

"Nothing special. She said she liked the melody so I thought it could make a great gift. She just smiled differently when she heard me play." The old man smiles.

"This person interests me. I would like to meet her in the future." He nods. "I have an idea what it would look like. Is it alright if I decide on it?"

"Well, as long as there won't be a ballerina on top of it." The old man laughs.

"It won't. I am sure it will make her remember of that moment."

»« »« »«

And so I let the old man prepare the music box for Mi Ho's birthday tomorrow. I was actually curious as to how it would look like. "So, can you come?"

"Huh?" Mi Ho frowns.

"Are you alright? You're spacing out." She reaches out and touches for my forehead. I gasp a breath. This is bad for me. I turn away making her hand slip.

“I'm fine! What are you blabbering about anyway?"

"I was asking if you can go to my birthday tomorrow. Dad and Oppa told me that I can invite a few friends so I was hoping you can tell Chanyeol and Seulgi to come. Of course, you too! I want you the most to be there."

Ugh, that smile. And she just said she wanted me the most to be there. I hold onto something for support. That was a surprise attack. I didn't expect that. Everything that she said just now makes my heart weak.. I want to hug her tight right now. She leans on the side looking at me. I bring my hand to my mouth. THAT WAS CUTE.

"Baekhyun?" I hold my hand out.

"Gi..Give me a minute to calm down."

"Calm down?" I breathe in and out. This is really bad. I may not be able to stop myself and hold her before I even confess.

"Alright I'm good." She chuckles. "Fine, since you personally want me to be there, I'll go."

"Tell Seulgi and Chanyeol too okay?" Ugh, she just ignored what I said! Take the clues woman!!

"Sure but.."

"But?"

"Can I talk to you tomorrow? Just the two of us."

She smiles nodding. "Sure! But can't you say it now?"

Hell no. There are a lot of people around us right now and if you put on your pretty and cute face I might not be able to restrain myself anymore. "No, I don't think so."

"Alright then. Tomorrow it is!"

»« »« »«

This is nerve wracking. I've never felt this way before. I think my heart is going to leap out of my chest any moment now. "Aren't you going to ring the doorbell? Oppa, we've been here for five minutes!" Seulgi nags.

"WAIT, don't-" she ignores me and rings the doorbell instead. I gasp when the door opens and Mi Ho appears. There it goes, my heart completely leaped out towards her.

"Unnie!"

"Seulgi! I'm glad you came!" Mi Ho hugs her and looks at us. "Chan! Baekhyun! Come in."

"Y..Yeah." I felt a pat in my back and Chanyeol grins at me. I know what that grin is for. He overheard me practicing my confession for today so he knows what I intend to do. This is childish of me. Why do I even need to rehearse for that?! I felt a hand on mine. It surprised me so much that I almost jumped. "W..What are you doing?!"

"I called for you a lot of times but you're not responding." I pulled my hand back and flush. That's so embarrassing! Why am I being a girl right now?!

"T..There's no need to grab me by my hand is there?!" She chuckles.

"Just come in!"

I hug the paper bag that I am holding where the music box is placed. I haven't looked at it yet to be honest so I don't know what it's like. I want Mi Ho to be the first one to see it. It's special after all. I make my way inside and see the dining table filled with food. "Well, it's just plain- OUCH!" I felt someone hit the back of my head. I turn seeing Minseok hyung. "What?!"

"We made an effort to prepare that. I don't need you to criticize it. Mi Ho, why did you even invite this guy anyway?!" He points at me with much disgust. I roll my eyes and sit on the chair. Mi Ho chuckles.

"I have to invite him Oppa. He's special to me after all."

God damn it. How can she say those words so freely?! MI HO HOW?! Her brother sighs sitting beside me. "Hey! That's Mi Ho's seat!"

"This is my house. You don't get to seat with my sister get that?!"

"Oh geez, they're at it again Unnie. They're just too alike don't you think?" Seulgi says while taking out the cake that she baked. "Oh, I hope you like this! I made red velvet!"

"It looks good! I'm sure it's delicious too! I'll place it at the fridge first okay?"

Seulgi nods. I hear a sigh and eye Chanyeol across me as he starse at me while drinking his soda. "I am beginning to doubt the opposites attract thing. You both just get along so well."

"WE DO NOT!" Minseok Hyung and I say in unison. Mi Ho laughs. I'm glad she's having fun. The doorbell rings so she ran to the door.

"Oh, that must be Dad!" She opens the door and we follow only, seeing policemen outside. "Oh?"

Minseok hyung walks over pulling Mi Ho behind him. "Is there anything I can help you with?" I don't know why but I don't have a good feeling about this.

"Yes, we are sorry for the interruption. Is this Kim Jae Ho's residence?"

That's Mi Ho's father. "Yes."

"I believe we need you to come with us to confirm the body of Mr. Kim."

Just now, I think I am being pulled to the ground. Everything just felt so heavy. I look at Mi Ho and she's frozen. "B…Body?" She said.

"Yes."

"What are you saying?" Judging by Hyung's voice, I can tell he's getting worked up. This can't be true right? I mean, they already lost their Mom.

"We found this. Mr. Kim got into an accident just now-"

"Can we see the body? There are a lot of people who had that tie." Mi Ho chuckles. "You see, we got that for him on sale so maybe- yes, maybe you're just mistaken!"

The police must've felt that they're both in shock so he nodded and guided us to where the body is. We arrived at a morgue and they are urging Mi Ho and Minseok hyung to confirm the body inside. I can see Mi Ho's hand shaking. I grab it and she looks at me. "Let's take a look. I'll go with you." I say. She smiled and nodded.

Hyung pulled the cover slowly and I can see his hand shake. When we look at the body, it is Mr. Kim. Mi Ho grew unsteady so I hold on to her. "D..Dad?"

"What the hell?" Minseok hyung scoffs. He holds on the wall for support. I don't know what to do right now because I am as shocked as they are.

"He had this with him at his car." The police handed Mi Ho a small box. She opens it and sees a necklace with a small birthday greeting saying 'Happy birthday to my one and only princess whose smile makes me happy too.'

"Oh.." She walks away from me and out of the room.

"Mi Ho!" I follow her but she doesn't turn. She continued walking outside even though it's raining. I ran to her but Chanyeol grabbed me. "What are you doing?!"

"We'll stay with Minseok hyung. Just follow her for now. She needs you the most." I bit my lower lip in frustration and ran behind Mi Ho. She stops at the bus stop and gets on it so I followed her. I take the seat behind her and watch her from afar. As much as I want to hold her now, I don't think that can even comfort her. She lost both of her parents right now. After a few more stops, we ended up in a cemetery. Where is she going really?

"Mi Ho-" she stops at one grave which is her Mom's. She sits in front of it and stared blankly.

"Mom, Dad is dead. He's lying there and... his hands are cold." This is painful to watch but I don't turn. I want to be there for her even if it's like this. Why isn't she even crying at a time like this?! "Oh, and he bought me this." She smiles showing the necklace to her Mom. "It has a rose pendant. It's nice isn't it?" She lets put a laugh and that's it. I am at my limit. I grab her hand making her turn to me.

"What the hell are you doing smiling like that?"

"I'm showing Mom the gift Dad gave me." I hate that smile of yours right now Mi Ho. I hate it.

"Stop smiling."

"Let go of me. I still haven't shown Mom the card that Dad wrote-" I grab the box and threw it away from her.

"STOP ALREADY!" She pulls her arm back and grabs the box wiping the dirt from it. "Be angry! Be sad! Just be something! Don't hide it behind that stupid smile of yours!! They both left you! Be angry!"

"IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT!" She turns to me as she shakes. "I can't blame them... They don't mean it... I can't blame anyone... I don't know... I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT SMILE!! I... I don't know who to blame..." She falls in the ground crying. I walk to her and pull her close to me as I can. I hug her tight. "I don't know... Tell me who to blame Baekhyun... Tell me what to do... I.."

I caress her hair. I'm not even feeling the rain through our skin right now. I am feeling empty as she is. "Just cry. That's what you do."

»« »« »«

It's been a month since I last saw Mi Ho smile. She hasn’t attended class even if the new school year has started. She just doesn't want to see anyone after their father died. Everything was just a mess in her life right now and I hate it that I can't do anything but to sit down and hope that she gets well. I see a paper bag being placed on my desk. I look up seeing Chanyeol.

"You still haven't given that to her." Oh, the music box. I put it away and look at outside.

"I can't give it to her now."

"I'm not telling you to give it to her. I'm telling you to go to her now."

"Are you insane? It's still school hours."

He sits in front of me and stared. "Since when did school weigh more than her?"

That's it. I'm at my limit. I grab the paper bag and ran outside getting my bag heading to Mi Ho's place. I take my phone out from my pocket and dialed Minseok Hyung's number then place the phone on speaker phone putting it on my chest pocket. "Wha-"

"Are you home?"

"No, I'm at class. Are you stupid?"

"Tell me the passcode. I'll go to your house."

"Right now? Stupid it's class hours! Did you just cut?"

"HURRY!" I shouted as I pedal my way. I hear a sigh and he tells me the passcode. I pedal as fast as I can until I reach the house. Getting off the bike I ran inside the house and open Mi Ho's room. She flinches in surprise and sits up. "Stop moping...around. Get up!"

"Bae..khyun." I pull the covers off from her and sit in front of her. "You're panting. And, it's still school hours-" she flinched in surprise when I grab her hand and placed the paper bag on her hand.

"Listen, I am done... waiting! You know I am not a patient guy. I was waiting for the right time until I can give this to you. I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW I FEEL DAMN IT! Why do things keep on getting worse on your side? I can't even do anything for you and it frustrates me so bad!"

"Baekhy-"

"SHUT UP, I AM NOT DONE TALKING!" She nods. "That, inside that is my gift for you! It's not that good but I wanted to give you something special! I was supposed to give it to you on your birthday but your Dad died so I guess that was a bad timing and all. Ugh. I hate it. Then, I brought it last week and was supposed to give it to you since it's the first day since the semester started but oh hey! YOU DIDN'T DAMN GO TO SCHOOL. So my timing was really bad so I guess I'll just move it for next time. BUT HEY, IT'S BEEN A WEEK ALREADY AND I AM SO DAMN TIRED OF WAITING! I can't wait anymore Mi Ho! I have to tell you how I feel! How much I love you! It was so frustrating saving it up for later which didn't come!!" I chase my breath after all what I said. Wow, that felt nice. I throw my head back to calm myself down and look at Mi Ho afterwards.

Oh shoot.

I stand realizing the words that came out of my mouth right now. She's looking surprised as I am right now. I.. Did I just blurted it out? How much I like her?! "Um.. I.." She mumbles something but I can't quite figure that out so I sit in front of her and lean close. "Hick!" She suddenly started hiccupping.

"What's with you?"

"I... Uh.. Hick!" I sigh standing as I reach a bottle of water on her desk and gave it to her. She takes it and chugs the water down.

"Feeling better?"

"Y..yeah..." She looks at her hands. Silence crept in. So I just confessed and she's not saying anything. I sigh.

"You don't like me back huh? That's why you're not replying."

"N..No!" My eyes widen. I look at her and she gasps covering .

"What did you just say?"

She started turning red. It's the first time I saw her like this. Oh, I find this fun.

I lean closer to her until she's trapped between me and the wall. "M..Move back Baekhyun.. I..."

"What's this? You're flustered? I gave you those hiccups did I?"

"That's-!" Our faces were so close right now. I feel my cheeks getting hot. "B..Baekhyun.."

"Tell me now. What do you feel about me? I am not a patient guy. Before I lose my control." Her pulse is getting faster as I hold her wrist. She looks at me in the eye and I felt like I am being in. I lean close and kiss her. I feel her gasp but I trap it in with my lips as I continue to kiss her. I pull back and stare. "I told you I am not a patient guy."

"Wha-!" My eyes widen when I felt her hands on my mouth when I was about to kiss her again. "Y..You can't just do that all of a sudden! My head's spinning and..." She's turning redder and redder each second. I hold her hands and looked at her.

"Mi Ho, how do you feel towards me?"

"I..like..." She shuts her eyes close and covered her face. "I like you too."

My eyes widen. That's it. She said it right? She likes me too? I smile and pulled her hands away from her face but she had her eyes shut. "Mi Ho, look at me."

"I can't... I'm so embarrassed.."

"You can't see you gift if you're eyes are closed." She opens them slowly. I chuckle, she can't look at me in the eye. I grab the bag and pull the box out of it. "Come here." I pat the space in between me.

"W..Why there? Can't you just give it to me?"

"Are you making me wait again?" She gasped and shakes her head no. She sits in front of me and opens the box. Oh, it's a piano. I smile watching her take the music box out of it. When she opens it, the music started playing and carved in there is the word smile. Just by reading it made me feel like doing so. That old guy really has done it now.

"Mmf..." I hear a sob and saw Mi Ho crying again.

"Wha- why the hell are you crying?!"

She sobs as she wipes her tears. "I love it.. I love it so much.. Thank you.."

I sigh and watch her. I wipe her tears with my fingers and smiled. "What am I going to do with you really? You're such a crybaby." I pull her close and hugged her. I feel her hand against my chest as she cries.

"I was so lonely when Dad died... I don't know what to do.. Or how will I be able to go on.. I felt like I was being in the darkness... I tried to smile but I can't.. I promised them I would smile.. but I can't.."

I nod caressing her hair. "You know, when your Mom said that she wanted you to smile, I don't think she meant it the way you interpreted it." I release her looking at her. "She doesn't mean that you have to smile to hide your fears. She meant smile so that you can face your fears. If you smile, it makes you feel strong enough to face it right?" I wipe her tears with my thumb and smiled at her. "I know you want to help the people around you to be strong that's why you're smiling. But hey, I think just by seeing you smile because you're strong makes me smile too. Because you're my source of strength Kim Mi Ho. That kind of smile you have is my strength."

She nods and started to smile again. When I saw her smile, it's like a rainbow after the rain. I feel so nice and warm inside. "God, I love you." I utter and kissed her forehead. I hear her chuckle. "Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing. I just realized that you said too much earlier and you're really not a patient person. But, I feel the same." I smile meeting my forehead with hers.

"Then say it."

She smiles looking at me. "I love you too Baekhyun.”

For Mi Ho, her source of smile is making the people around her. But for me, all I need is this girl who makes me happy just by being with her.


UPDATE!! I had so many mixed feelings while writing this chapter TT.TT Leave your comments and tell me how it made you feel okay? ^^ 'Till the next chapter everyone!

- Cheonsabyul