Like A Thread

Love Is

 

"Just a moment." Jun Hyung stopped walking and checked his reflection on the window glass of a candy shop, "My hair is in a mess."

 

Su Bin shook her head and yelled, “You’re as troublesome as a woman! Come on, I’m very hungry!” She pulled his shirt to drag him to start walking.

 

“Congratulations, sir. You are the lucky 999th person today to have stopped by our shop. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, we have decided to give you this chocolate package for free. Enjoy it with your loved one!” A saleswoman handed something to a man in front of Jun Hyung and Su Bin.

 

Su Bin sulked and hit Jun Hyung on the shoulder. Jun Hyung was dumbfounded, “Why on earth did you hit me for?”

 

“If not for you, we will be the ones getting the free chocolate! Aish, we could be the 999th person if you had not stopped walking!” She complained and folded her arms like a little kid throwing a childish tantrum.

 

Jun Hyung laughed but thought she was being very adorable. “How about ordering two sets of samyupsal to express my apologies for this ‘mistake’?”

 

“That sounds better.” Su Bin grinned and continued walking.

 

Woman. They’re so complicated but so easily humoured, Jun Hyung thought.

 

“Can you stop wearing your fancy and weird looking sunglasses? It’s going to be dark soon and it embarrasses me!” Su Bin whined and walked beside him with ease.

 

Jun Hyung snorted and commented, “What has my sunglasses done to annoy you, little junior?”

 

“It’s just annoying!” Su Bin complained again.

 

“I’m just afraid you can’t bear with my mesmerising eyes when I take them off.” Jun Hyung shook his head and said conceitedly.

 

Su Bin rolled her eyes, “Yeah, right… As if y-“

 

At that moment, Jun Hyung took off his sunglasses and stopped Su Bin from walking by placing both of his hands on her shoulders. He levelled down until they were about the same height and stared closely into her eyes. Su Bin was speechless at his abrupt movement and just froze in place. was hanging wide open.

 

She remembered the first time she fell in love with this senior of hers was because of his loving eyes. He might act cocky all the time but his eyes told a different story. His glistening eyes were alluring but still warm and passionate. They had an undefined sparkle to it and that was why she was so into him years ago.

 

Jun Hyung could feel that Su Bin’s face was flushed again as her cheeks went absolute red from the stare he made. However, his heart was beating twice as fast as before. Why did I fail to notice this junior’s beauty a few years ago?

 

He managed to give a little smirk before whispering to her, “Haven’t I warn you about my eyes?”

 

“I… Jun Hyung…” She stuttered.

 

Suddenly, a thud was heard as something bumped into Jun Hyung. Someone dropped the ricecakes in a hurry. Jun Hyung immediately checked his clothes to make sure there was no stain of ricecakes sauce anywhere before shouting to the person, "Yah, watch where you're going! You almost spilled the ricecakes on my expensive outfit!"

 

“Okay, I got this. I’m coming!” He did not respond to Jun Hyung and left in his car.

 

Su Bin squatted down, “Hey, he dropped all of these!”

 

“Aish, that man! He wasted my effort in cooking all these!” The stall owner complained, “And he even dirtied the front of my stall without apologising!”

 

Su Bin saw the frustrations in the ajumma’s eyes and came over to her, “Ajumma, don’t be angry. If he doesn’t eat your rice cakes, I will! I’ll buy them from you and eat it here, okay?”

 

The stall owner smiled from her little comfort and nodded, “You’re such a sweet lady.” And then, she turned around and saw Jun Hyung walking behind her, “Oh, Jun Hyung, you’re here!”

 

“You know him?” Su Bin asked, surprised.

 

“He’s my son!” The ajumma moved over to him and grinned, “Jun Hyung, did you bring your girlfriend over to have dinner at my stall?”

 

“She’s… She’s not my girlfriend!” Jun Hyung cleared his throat nervously.

 

“Whatever, Jun Hyung! Just sit and I’ll cook some rice cakes!” She was unusually happy.

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

“Wah, ajumma, your cooking is daebak!” Su Bin gave a thumbs up and kept eating without stopping.

 

She nodded and went back to the kitchen.

 

Again, Su Bin slurped and kept praising the sumptuous rice cakes. Jun Hyung merely looked at her eating his mother’s food. He commented casually, “Slow down! You look as if it has been eons since you have eaten rice cakes.”

 

“It is. It’s been years since I have eaten rice cakes.”

 

“What? Are you serious? Why?” Jun Hyung was dumbfounded. He had been eating rice cakes since he was borned because his mother cooked them every single day for business.

 

Su Bin glared and spouted, “Why? You’re asking me why? It’s all because of you, you id-“

 

She stopped talking midway while she realised she was almost exposing her secret to Jun Hyung. She did not want to be reminded of that embarrassing incident again.

 

“Me? What did I do?”

 

“I can’t believe you forgot about it…” Su Bin muttered, hoping he would not hear a single thing but unfortunately, he did.

 

Jun Hyung took away her rice cakes and glared at her seriously, “You can’t lie to me with that expression.”

 

Su Bin slammed the table like she did in the office, “Yong Jun Hyung, how can you forget about the incident happened in school? I… I made rice cakes for you and even gave you a handwritten note for you! But you just laughed at my attempt and threw my effort into the trash!”

 

“Su Bin… Wait, what?” Jun Hyung was utterly confused.

 

Su Bin sighed and she was flustered when she realised she had just said her most embarrassing confession to the person she had confessed to before, “Aish, why do I have to remind you this? You probably received so many presents from many girls to have noticed me. Why am I such an idiot to have liked you before?”

 

Jun Hyung wanted to reach out and hold her back but she took off immediately, “Sorry, Jun Hyung. I have to go.”

 

“Wait, Su Bin!” Jun Hyung stood up as well and bumped into her when they were walking in opposite directions.

 

“Argh!” Su Bin said when she realised she could not move an inch. Her sweater’s thread was caught in Jun Hyung’s jacket button. The more she struggled, the more complex the tangle became. She tried with all her might to break away from him but it was of no use. She was already more humiliated than ever, “Why does this crap have to happen now?!”

 

Jun Hyung held her hands firmly to stop her from breaking away. Again, he looked into her eyes, “Maybe Heaven is giving me a chance to explain myself.”

 

She stayed quiet. She did not know whether it was the effect from his eyes again or whether it was because she wanted to hear his explanation.

 

“Look, Su Bin. I have never received any rice cakes or handwritten note from you. If I have, I wouldn’t have thrown them away. I wouldn’t. Because it’s from you.” Jun Hyung pursed his lips after explaining his side of the story.

 

Shaking her head vigorously, she tried to explain, “No, it can’t be! I passed by your class partner, Eun Young, and she saw me. She offered to give the rice cakes to you when I didn’t dare to approach you directly. And the next thing I knew, my effort was in your class’ trash.”

 

“Eun Young? You gave it to Eun Young?” Jun Hyung snickered and sighed, “Su Bin-ah, Eun Young is not to be trusted. At that point, she likes me too.”

 

“Really?” Su Bin’s expression became stiff and she calmed down.

 

Still ‘stuck’ with each other, they both looked away shyly after knowing the truth.

 

“I thought you rejected me…” Su Bin muttered, “That’s why I hate rice cakes for a long time.”

 

Jun Hyung pinched her cheek and tucked her hair, “You’re so naïve to believe someone that easily.”

 

“Would it change everything if I had given it to you directly?” Su Bin questioned him straight to the point.

 

Jun Hyung pondered and , “Well, I was quite of a player back then…”

 

Su Bin looked down and frowned, “Forget that I asked that.”

 

“Would you let me finish?”

 

Jun Hyung lifted her head to make her look at him, “But I’m not a player now. I figure it’s time for me to find a girl that I actually fancy and stay true to her.”

 

It was as if the stall was invisible and the whole world belonged to them.

 

“And I have found the girl I am looking for. And I’m looking at her right now.”

 

“Jun Hyung…”

 

“Su Bin, would you be my Valentine for tomorrow?” Jun Hyung asked with his incredible soothing and velvet voice.

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

“I can’t believe after all the turns and tosses, we would actually meet again…” Su Bin mentioned casually.

 

They were at the park right now after the sudden confession at the stall. Of course, things were more awkward right now but after clearing all the misunderstandings, they laughed it off naturally.

 

“Jun Hyung, so you’re saying that you already fell in love with me back then, right?” It was Su Bin’s turn to back, “Am I right? Am I right?”

 

“Well, what is love?”

 

Su Bin grinned, “How about expecting an answer from an ex-player like you?”

 

“Well, love to me…”

 

Jun Hyung took a look at her lose thread hanging from her shirt after they removed the tangle from each other. He held her hand tightly and looked up to the night sky.

 

“Love is like a thread that keeps unravelling but ties us back together in the end.”