Like A Violin

Love Is

“Dong Woon, please don’t be late for the performance later. You know this is your very first solo performance tonight and we don’t want anything to go wrong later, do you understand?” Dong Woon’s manager warned him sternly.

 

Dong Woon picked up his violin and kept it safe in the case to where it belonged. He carried his case and bag up and smiled to his manager, “Don’t worry. I will be early. See you later.”

 

He walked past the hallway after leaving his waiting room backstage. The hallway was empty, simply because everyone was not here yet. It was early in the morning so Dong Woon came with his manager to look around the stage and set to prepare for his solo performance tonight. As he looked at the walls, he saw his posters pasted up on them.

 

He stood in front of one poster and gave a second look at the poster. The title of the poster is “A Speical Sonata”. Dong Woon’s face was the main focus of the poster and he was playing his violin on the stage. His face was concentrated on playing the violin and he looked charismatic. He sniggered at his own poster and looked down embarrassingly.

 

“Son Dong Woon!”

 

Someone called him and Dong Woon heard the loud footsteps made by killer heels. He did not have to look to see who the one who called his name was. After all, only one certain person would ever call him that.

 

“Seo Eun Ah.”

 

Dong Woon laughed and raised his eyebrows.

 

The woman walked towards Dong Woon. She was wearing very elegantly and her hair was put up neatly into a ponytail. She frowned at Dong Woon teasingly and folded her arms. Dong Woon scanned her dressing from head to toe and nodded, “I can see you have some make up on your face, Eun Ah.”

 

“All thanks to you!” Eun Ah stuck out her tongue and fidgeted uncomfortably in her short dress.

 

Dong Woon laughed at her plight but he tried to control his laughter since he was the cause of her sudden lady-like dressing. Despite that, Dong Woon removed his jacket and covered her exposed neck and shoulders. He spoke to her, “Eun Ah, you look better wearing a dress. I’m not kidding.”

 

Eun Ah rolled her eyes and took off her killer heels, “You know I don’t wear such things. I understand it’s your solo performance but I don’t understand why I have to go through all these pain just to watch your performance later!”

 

Ever since she was young, Eun Ah dressed like a boy. She loved wearing baggy pants, over-sized shirts and sneakers. She used to have short hair but she grew it out this year. Dong Woon liked her for who she was but he could not help but want to see his best friend wearing lady-like clothes. He made up an excuse for Eun Ah to dress up today since she promised to watch his performance and no one was allowed to wear casual clothes to the performance.

 

“Look, Eun Ah. I have a perfect reason why I need you to dress up well tonight, okay? Don’t be such a nag!” Dong Woon pushed her slightly before covering her up with his own jacket.

 

Eun Ah blushed when Dong Woon behaved gentlemanly towards her. Dong Woon had never treated her like a real lady before. They were like close brothers for almost six years of friendship and she was more than embarrassed to be dressed like that.

 

“And what’s the perfect reason?” She made a sarcastic tone.

 

Dong Woon stared at the ceiling unnecessarily and said, “That’s a secret.”

 

“Whatever!” Eun Ah snickered, “Dong Woon, let’s go out for lunch after I’m done changing out of this stupid outfit. I’m really hungry!”

 

Dong Woon lifted up his finger and shook it at her, “Not today, Eun Ah. I’m busy the whole afternoon. You can eat with my stylist for today, okay?”

 

“What? Why should I eat with the person who dressed me up like this?” Eun Ah complained. Eun Ah smiled sneakily at him, “You’re going out with your girlfriend?”

 

Despite her question, Dong Woon just simply patted her shoulder lightly and left her alone in the hallway, “I’ll see you in the audience later, Seo Eun Ah!”

 

He turned around to give Eun Ah another strict warning, “And I’ll make sure I see you in that dress.”

 

Eun Ah was about to say another word but Dong Woon disappeared after exiting the door. She sighed and realised his jacket was still around her, “You stupid idiot.”

 

Without her knowing, the corners of her lips curved upwards after inhaling the scent of Dong Woon by his jacket.

 

Although Dong Woon behaved cool and calm in front of Eun Ah, inside he was actually very nervous – not because of his performance later but because of what he was planning to do after the performance. He had decided to express his feelings for his best friend – as a man.

 

Eun Ah had been there for him since his parents forbid him to be a professional violinist. His father wanted him to carry on the family business but Dong Woon wanted to pursue music. Eun Ah was the one who convinced his parents to accept his ambition and even helped out in his family business to ease their worries.

 

Dong Woon had fell in love with Eun Ah since they were in high school. She was aggressive and tomboyish but she had the appeal that made Dong Woon skipped a beat for her. He was unaware about her feelings towards him but he decided to plunge and confess to her after his performance.

 

He knew that despite being rough, Eun Ah loved flowers – especially red and yellow roses. In fact both colours of the rose had special meanings. Red roses meant love and romance while yellow roses meant joy and friendship. They were just perfect for Eun Ah.

 

He stepped into the florist and looked around the shop. He caught the red and yellow roses but in a corner, he found something even more special. There was a bouquet of flowers that had two colours – red and yellow. It looked unique and weird at the same time but Dong Woon knew Eun Ah would love it. He was all ready to buy it but the florist was busy with another customer.

 

Dong Woon turned to see what was going on. He heard the florist spoke to a man who looked very sorrowful and was carrying a pot of plant, “How about getting some of these? I have sunflowers, roses, lilies and many more. They are just as good as geraniums. Moreover, these are already blossomed and looking very pretty. They are also very suitable for Valentine’s Day.”

 

Dong Woon smiled a little, reminding himself that he was confessing to Eun Ah on Valentine’s Day. Dong Woon finally caught the attention of the florist and asked for the bouquet of flowers, “Can you wrap this up nicely for me, please?”

 

As the florist thanked him for purchasing, he left to do his business while Dong Woon waited at a corner. The man who was carrying a pot of plant bowed at the florist and left.

 

“Here’s your flowers, sir. I hope you have a good day.”

 

Dong Woon left the florist and walked across the street to head to the jewellery shop. The lady from the counter recognised him since he had been here for a few times trying to find the perfect item for Eun Ah. “Mr Son, you’re back.” She commented.

 

“Have you kept my precious safely?” Dong Woon joked and sat down.

 

“Don’t worry, Mr Son.” The lady took out a box and opened it, “Your necklace is still looking very beautiful.”

 

Dong Woon touched the pendant that was shaped like a violin and grinned, “You’re right. It’s beautiful.”

 

Eun Ah did not like elaborated jewellery. She fancied accessories but never had a chance to wear any since her clothes did not match with necklaces like that.

 

“I’ll take it.”

 

“Thank you, Mr Son. And I’ll be watching your performance tonight.” The lady smiled warmly and kept the necklace safe in the box and gave it to him. Dong Woon smiled back at her good service and left the shop.

 

“Eun Ah, today’s the day I’ll make you love me.”