Like A Shadow

Love Is

Ki Kwang rushed over quickly to the door. He had been here for nearly thousand… and one times right now. His perspiration was dripping from his forehead and he panted heavily when he reached the doorstep. He knocked violently on the door and yelled desperately, “Sang Hee! Sang Hee!”

 

There was no answer. He pressed his ear against the door and banged on the door again, “Sang Hee! Sang Hee! Please open the door. If not, I’m calling the police!”

 

Within seconds, the door flung open and Ki Kwang almost hit his hand on her. She was looking as if she had just woken up from her sleep. Her hair was unkempt and her clothes were untidy. She gave a stiff expression at Ki Kwang with a toothbrush in , “I was brushing my teeth while you were trying to rip my door open, idiot!”

 

Ki Kwang hugged her and jumped around, “I thought you were doing something silly because you did not answer my calls after you put down the phone! You scared me right there!”

 

Sang Hee pushed Ki Kwang away coldly and continued brushing her teeth, “Yah, don’t be so touchy with me.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

She led Ki Kwang in and went back to her bathroom, “Make yourself at home.”

 

Ki Kwang scanned the surroundings to only find her house looking like trash. Clothes were thrown everywhere and leftover food was not thrown away. Her television was not turned off and her house gave a weird stench off. Ki Kwang held his breath and started keeping her clothes in one pile. He wiped the dirty tables and cleared the leftovers by himself.

 

“Aish, Sang Hee… What has the break up done to her?” Ki Kwang whined but he still helped Sang Hee tidied up her place.

 

Before Sang Hee was done with freshening up, Ki Kwang was already completed with the house work. Sang Hee came out of the bathroom and  was surprised at the spotless house, “What have you done?”

 

“Made myself at home, like you said.” Ki Kwang gave his usual eye smile and was expecting Sang Hee to praise him.

 

“You idiot, this doesn’t look like my house right now!” Sang Hee strangled him and sighed deeply.

 

“Your house is in a total mess minutes ago! I helped you to clean up…” He was choking as Sang Hee decided to release her grip.

 

“Why are you here?” Sang Hee sat down on her sofa.

 

Ki Kwang sat down beside her and tried to speak to her softly, “I heard about your break up and when I called you this morning, you sounded pretty bad. You did not return my call so I have thought you have done something silly to yourself so I…”

 

Sang Hee suddenly burst into laughter and pinched Ki Kwang’s cheek playfully, “Did you really think I’ll kill myself over that stupid bastard?”

 

With widened eyes, Ki Kwang did not speak a word.

 

He noticed Sang Hee had returned to her original self after she broke up with her boyfriend. Before she got together with her boyfriend, she was slightly unhygienic and did not bother about looks or dressing. She was crude but straight to the point. Ki Kwang liked her for the fact she was chic. However, when she fell in love with a colleague she met in work, she pleaded with Ki Kwang to change her to a real woman. She became gentler and sweeter. And she succeeded. Sadly, they had broken up because her boyfriend cheated on her… just days before Valentine’s Day.

 

Sang Hee cupped his face and stared at him, “I am not heartbroken. I am not sad. It’s just a stupid break up. He’s not worth my tears.”

 

“I’m glad to hear that.” Ki Kwang chuckled.

 

“Good,” Sang Hee removed her hands, “Now you can leave.”

 

“But I have nowhere to go except to come and look for you,” Ki Kwang pouted.

 

“Don’t you have any friends other than sticking with me all the time?” Sang Hee snapped.

 

“But I like you…” Ki Kwang muttered under his breath.

 

“What?”

 

Ki Kwang was stunned and said, “Nothing. Sang Hee, do you want to go out and get some fresh air?”

 

“No.”

 

There was an awkward silence between the both of them. Ki Kwang knew that tomorrow was Valentine’s Day but he was not deciding to bring it up since Sang Hee had just broken up with her boyfriend. He did not want her to feel sad about him. Maybe that was why she did not want to go out of the house these few days. She did not want to see happy couples in the streets.

 

Suddenly, Sang Hee’s stomach grumbled loudly. Sang Hee felt embarrassed.

 

Ki Kwang asked her timidly, “Are you very hungry?”

 

She nodded and bit her lips to hide her embarrassment.

 

“Do you want me to make some food for you?” Ki Kwang asked again, noticing how cute she was when she was being embarrassed.

 

She nodded again.

 

Ki Kwang went into the kitchen and decided to find some food to cook for her. Under her cabinet, he found something there. They were two tickets to a performance – A Special Sonata. That did not seem like something Sang Hee would watch. He went back to Sang Hee and waved the tickets at her, “Sang Hee, what are these?”

 

Sang Hee snatched the tickets after realising, “These are the tickets that the bastard bought. He said he wanted to watch it with me on Valentine’s Eve.”

 

Uh oh, Ki Kwang had done the wrong thing.

 

Sang Hee looked at it and said, “I don’t even like watching these boring performances.”

 

Ki Kwang nodded and took the tickets away from her, “Very well. Then I shall throw the two tickets away for you…”

 

“No, don’t!” She grabbed Ki Kwang’s hands, “They are very expensive.”

 

“Then… what do you want to do with them?”

 

“Watch it with me, Ki Kwang.”

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

Since it was a very prestigious performance, they had to dress up nicely for it. Ki Kwang was in a suit for the first time and he looked into the mirror. He had never seen himself so suave and smart before. He stepped out of the changing room and waited for Sang Hee to come out from the changing room.

 

Gradually after waiting, she stepped out. She was wearing a white and cute tube dress and her hair was completely down. It was like a different person from just now. Although she had not had her make up on yet, she was already looking fabulous. Ki Kwang stared at her intently without being able to say anything.

 

Sang Hee laughed and stepped towards Ki Kwang, “You can close your jaw, Ki Kwang.”

 

Ki Kwang snapped out of his senses and stood up.

 

“Do I really look that good?” She joked.

 

“You look like a princess, Sang Hee.” Ki Kwang said in a velvet voice. His heart was racing and he never felt so nervous before.

 

“You look good too, Ki Kwang. I have never seen you wearing like this before.” She confessed shyly.

 

Ki Kwang was only able to say a simple thank you.

 

“I guess we are almost ready for tonight’s ‘date’?” Sang Hee said.

 

Ki Kwang opened his mouth in disbelief, “Did you just say ‘date’?”

 

Sang Hee closed his mouth and flicked his forehead, “Idiot, don’t think too much about it.”

 

Ki Kwang seemed to have ignored her last sentence, “She just said ‘date’.”