Like A Violin

Love Is

“Are you ready, Mr Son? You have five minutes more.” The backstage crew reminded Dong Woon gently.

 

He smiled at them warmly and drank the last sip of water before getting his violin up, “I’m ready.”

 

Dong Woon took a peek between the closed curtains. The audience were already sitting down and it was a full house. Dong Woon was happy about it. And at the corner of his eye, he could see Eun Ah already sitting down right at the front of the stage, where she could clearly see him perform right in front of her eyes. He had booked the seat just for her.

 

“She looks absolutely stunning.” Dong Woon commented quietly to himself as he gazed at her lovingly. It was the first time he truly saw her wearing like this and he was grateful to her in every single way.

 

The curtains opened and Dong Woon stepped out of the curtains to show himself. It was his time to shine. He started playing his violin after the audience clapped for him. He gave Eun Ah a quick wink before placing the violin on his shoulder. The first song he played was a sad one. As he played, he would frequently look at Eun Ah to see how she was reacting to his performance.

 

Eun Ah was closing her eyes, just loving the performance he was putting up. She would occasionally smile and locked her eyes with Dong Woon to show that she was proud of him. Eun Ah gave him strength like no one else did and Dong Woon did better than before because of her.

 

After the last performance, the audience gave him a standing ovation. Eun Ah was one of the first people who stood up for him. She clapped her hands so loudly and cheered for him. He bowed humbly to the audience and waved to show his appreciation and gratitude.

 

He took the microphone and spoke, “Hello, everyone. I hope my performance is up to your expectations. Today’s Valentine’s Eve. Please share the love with your intimate companions wherever you are because everyone deserves to be happy on this very special occasion.”

 

He turned his attention to Eun Ah was was intertwining her fingers together, “On this very day, tell your very special person that you cherish him/her in your heart and never let them go.”

 

Eun Ah just looked down, not realising that Dong Woon was referring to her. Dong Woon smiled brightly at the audience and bowed for the last time, “Thank you.”

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

“Boo! Guess who I am!” Eun Ah covered Dong Woon’s eyes.

 

Dong Woon laughed and removed her hands, “I know it’s you since I’m the one who asked you here, Seo Eun Ah.”

 

Eun Ah stood beside him and Dong Woon was feeling quite nervous now. Eun Ah breathed in the fresh air and asked, “Why did you ask me up here? It’s the rooftop of the theatre!”

 

The rooftop was different from other rooftops. Over here, there were only the both of them and the rooftop was surrounded by glass panes but you could still enjoy the beautiful night view of Seoul up here. At the side of the place, Dong Woon had requested someone to set up a mini table with two chairs for just the both of them.

 

Eun Ah looked around and saw the set up by Dong Woon. She was impressed with it but did not comment on it much. She just twirled around and enjoyed the night scenery. Dong Woon decided to start the conversation going, “Eun Ah, how was my performance just now? I bet it blew you away, am I right?”

 

“No matter how much I wish to deny the fact that you are being too overconfident, but the way you played tonight was beautiful, Dong Woon.” Eun Ah became serious suddenly and continued, “Wow, I can’t believe someone could actually play the violin like that.”

 

“You can play it beautifully if you want, Eun Ah.”

 

“Come on, don’t lie. Not everyone has the talent to do so.”

 

“I’m not lying. Let me teach you how to play it.” Dong Woon took up his violin that was lying on the table and touched his suit pocket again to make sure the box was still there.

 

His hands were trembling from nervousness. It was worse than fright stage. He coughed and went behind Eun Ah who was oblivious to what was happening.

 

She just giggled when Dong Woon placed the violin on her shoulder. He guided her hands to hold the violin and started playing it. It was not totally smoothly played since Dong Woon was just guiding her but Eun Ah had fun. She laughed every time the violin went out of tune and closed her eyes to enjoy the music.

 

Dong Woon fidgeted and slowly moved his hands away from her. He took out the box swiftly and opened it. Eun Ah was still amazed by what the violin could do to even notice Dong Woon’s actions. Without thinking, Dong Woon lifted up some of her hair on her neck and wore the necklace on her. Eun Ah was taken aback by the coldness of the metal that was placed around her. She touched the pendant and was confused.

 

“Dong Woon… What are you doing?”

 

“Don’t remove it. It’s a Valentine’s Day gift from me, Eun Ah.”

 

“Valentine’s Day present? For me?” She was utterly confused when Dong Woon wore the necklace on her neck. She took a peek at it. It was beautiful and she loved it but no sound could come out from now.

 

Dong Woon used one of his arms and hugged her by her neck. He laid his head on her shoulders and whispered, “Eun Ah, you have been by my side like my guardian angel. You have done so many things in order for me to have come this far.”

 

Dong Woon took the violin back from her and turned her around to face her directly, “Without you, this violin wouldn’t have existed. No matter how much I play it, without you, this violin is lifeless.”

 

“Dong Woon, I…” She stammered but the corners of her lips slowly curved upwards to show that she was touched by whatever he had said.

 

Smiling at her response, he knew his love was not one-sided. He moved away her fringe slightly to expose her clear forehead. He kissed her gently on the forehead and embraced her in the night sky. “Eun Ah, please allow me to repay the love that you have given me.” Dong Woon said to her while looking at the night sky.

 

She nodded, “Dong Woon, you can repay me as long as you want… starting from this Valentine’s Day.”

 

Dong Woon played another song that he composed just for her. It was beautiful but short. Eun Ah pouted when the music stopped, “It’s over?”

 

“Yes. But… doesn’t this describe love perfectly?”

 

“What do you mean?” She tilted her head, "I don't even know the real definition of love. What is love?"

 

Dong Woon touched the strings of the violin lightly and moved his hand towards her fragile face.

 

“Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever.”