Inscribed

Love Is

|13 February 2007|

 

“Seungie, this looks like a good place to me! Let’s go there!” Sun Young pointed at the tree that was way up on the hill.

 

The sun was about to set soon but Hyun Seung and Sun Young spent the whole afternoon just finding a good spot. Sun Young was panting very heavily and perspiring like crazy but she was persistent. No matter how much Hyun Seung tried to convince her to rest for a minute but she wouldn’t budge a bit.

 

“Ah!” Sun Young cried when she was climbing up the stairs to reach the hill.

 

Hyun Seung held her by the waist carefully and she laid on his chest comfortably. Hyun Seung was frustrated by her stubbornness but he spoke to her as gentle as possible, “Sun Young-ah, we can always do this another time. You need a rest right now. Please listen to me, okay?”

 

She shook her head and smiled weakly at him to show she was not listening, “Seungie, I know this is the place. I promise you I will rest after burying our things over there.”

 

Hyun Seung pondered for a moment but Sun Young grabbed his hand to show that she wanted so much to do this. Finally, he agreed reluctantly, “Okay then. I’ll carry you up instead so you won’t be as tired.”

 

“Okay!” Sun Young hopped onto Hyun Seung’s back quickly. Although Hyun Seung was not the strongest man you would ever know, he was able to carry Sun Young up the hill swiftly, mainly because Sun Young was very light. To be honest, she was nearly only made of skins and bones.

 

Hyun Seung reached the hill and Sun Young ran towards the tree, holding onto Hyun Seung’s hand tightly. After seeing her beautiful smile one again, he felt coming up here was worth it. He would just do anything to see her smile like this.

 

“Hyun Seung, these are our treasures together. This keychain is the first gift I gave to you and this crystal ball is the first gift you gave to me. And these pictures we have taken with each other ever since we have known each other from a year back and after we have got together 100 days back. Don’t you think we have gone through so much in a year?”

 

She giggled as she started reminiscing the memories they had together. He her cheek to show his affection to her and she blushed. She was still as naïve as the first day Hyun Seung knew her.

 

They were just class partners in school and they sat beside each other for a year. Feelings developed naturally and they started dating after Hyun Seung had confessed his feelings to her. At first, she did not accept his confession but Hyun Seung was determined. He realised she liked him too so he did not know the reason for her to reject him. Until one day, Hyun Seung found out she had leukaemia. Her days were numbered and she was going to do a surgery. She might not survive. She was afraid that he would be hurt if he knew the truth.

 

However, he told her that no matter what, she would recover and they would be together. Hyun Seung did not care how much time they had left together, as long as they stayed together as one. Finally, 100 days ago, she agreed. And 100 days later on this day, she had decided to bury a time capsule for both of them. Althought they were just 17 years old, they knew what was love. Love had no limits.

 

“Sun Young, you always have the best ideas for such things!” Hyun Seung joked with her as she was running through the things we had with me.

 

“Ah, Seungie. I have one more last thing for us to do before burying it!” She exclaimed excitedly.

 

Hyun Seung looked confused and asked, “What is it?”

 

She took out two pens and two papers from her bag and handed each one of them to Hyun Seung, “Seungie, let’s write a letter to each other. In 5 years’ time, we will open this time capsule together and reveal the letter to each other!”

 

Hyun Seung nodded at her great idea and agreed, “Okay, no peeking!”

 

They went further away from each other and sat opposite each other with each person at one end of the tree. Sometimes, Hyun Seung would look over to see what Sun Young had written but Sun Young was alert enough to catch him peeking at her letter, “Seungie, don’t look at mine! If you know what I have written, it would not be fun anymore!”

 

 “Yes, my dear!” Hyun Seung laughed and wrote his letter sincerely from the bottom of his heart. He knew the days with her were risky and limited. He wanted to make her happy as much as possible. He cherished the times they had together but inside his heart, it soured. He did not want Sun Young to leave his side.

 

“Seungie!” She stared at the sky.

 

“Yes?”

 

“What is love?” She asked randomly.

 

The question took Hyun Seung by surprise. Did he have the perfect answer for her?

 

He smiled and said, “I’ll get back to you in 5 years’ time!”

 

“You sneaky…” She mumbled and sutkc her tongue out cutely.

 

“I’m done!” She yelled and came over to Hyun Seung. She folded their papers and put them in the box. She closed up the box and handed it over to him, “Thank you, Seungie. You will be doing the hard work burying this in!”

 

“Anything for you, my dear!” Hyun Seung pinched her cheek and took up the spade he brought over with him.

 

He buried the box with much effort under the tree. He took a knife that was in his bag and held Sun Young’s hand to face the tree. “Sun Young, from now on, this tree belongs to us.” He stated firmly.

 

With that, he took the knife and carved their names on the tree – Property of Hyun Seung and Sun Young.

 

Sun Young laughed at his gimmick and slapped his chest, “You’re so immature!”

 

“That’s what appeals you to me right?”

 

“Idiot!” She stuck her tongue out.

 

Slowly, the sun disappeared and it was a warning for them to leave and go home. Sun Young looked at the sky which was dimming. Her smile disappeared with the sun, “The sun is down. The sun has set. I hate sunsets. It means the day is over and time is running out.”

 

Hyun Seung felt sad after hearing her words. Normally, she was very optimistic around him but not now. After all, tomorrow was her surgery and she was worried that it might turn out for the worse. If it was successful, she would survive. If it was a failure, she might not live to see the sun again.

 

“Sun Young-ah,” He called her name and held both of her hands, “You see the sun sets but always remember the sun always rises. You will live to see the sun rises every day, understood? I’ll be right here with you. You will be fine. After the surgery, we will watch the sun rise together.”

 

Her mood brightened after Hyun Seung’s words. “Seungie, 13th February is our 100th day anniversary. Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day but unfortunately, my surgery is tomorrow. We cannot celebrate our first Valentine’s Day together…” She started to sulk again after being reminded of that fact.

 

Hyun Seung hugged her tightly and kissed her hair.

 

“Don’t worry. We have many Valentine’s Day to come. I promise to celebrate these two special days with you, right here, at this very special place of ours, don’t you ever forget that.”