Like A Flower

Love Is

|13 November 2011|

 

Walking hand in hand along the streets of Seoul, they were just like any ordinary couple. They had just celebrated their 5th month together and enjoying each other’s company without a worry in the world.

 

“Doo Joon Oppa, you have ice cream left on the right side of your cheek!” Su Hyun giggled and wiped off the mess off his face as Doo Joon grinned and pinched her cheek.

 

Su Hyun shook her head but Doo Joon pointed her face, “Su Hyun-ah, say for yourself! Your whole mouth is covered with chocolate ice cream!”

 

“Really?” Su Hyun froze in her position and stopped walking to see her blurred reflection on the shop’s window. She wiped clean and Doo Joon messed up her pretty hair.

 

“Oppa! I did my hair for two hours but you messed it up in two seconds!” She whined and pouted when she realised her bun was in a mess and started fixing her hair while looking at her reflection on the window.

 

Doo Joon put one arm around her and comforted her, “Su Hyun-ah, you’re still the prettiest girl in my heart so don’t worry about it.”

 

Suddenly, Su Hyun squealed. She grabbed Doo Joon by the arm and pointed eagerly at the display of the window, “Doo Joon Oppa! It’s geranium! It’s geranium!”

 

“Geranium?”

 

She smiled like a little kid seeing a magic act for the first time and was very excited, “Geranium is a type of flower. And it’s my favourite flower.”

 

“Ah, are you hinting me to buy flowers for you now?” Doo Joon teased but Su Hyun smacked his chest.

 

Su Hyun frowned and denied, “Of course not!”

 

Doo Joon scrutinised her face and held her by the hand to lead her into the shop. The bells hung above the door rang when they entered the shop. The shop was pretty and it played soft music in the background. Su Hyun seemed bewildered by Doo Joon’s action but followed him in anyway.

 

“Yes, may I help you, sir?” The florist asked courteously at Doo Joon.

 

Doo Joon pointed at the display at the window and asked, “Is it possible if we can purchase the seeds of geranium and grow it ourselves?”

 

Su Hyun was taken aback by Doo Joon’s words, “Grow it ourselves?”

 

However, he ignored her words as the florist answered his questions promptly, “Of course you can.”

 

“Can I purchase some just enough for one pot please?” Doo Joon was satisfied.

 

“Sure, please wait for a moment.” The florist left.

 

“Doo Joon Oppa! Growing flowers isn’t as easy as you think.” Su Hyun tried to convince him out of it but in her heart, she wanted this more than anyone else.

 

Doo Joon tucked her hair behind her ear and cupped her face, “I know you love such things like growing flowers. And aren’t you belittling me? Yah, I’m Yoon Doo Joon! Nothing can stand in my way! Not even some pretty flowers!”

 

Su Hyun let go of Doo Joon’s hand and that confused Doo Joon a little. She folded her arms and pouted cutely at him, “Is this the first day I know your personality? You’re very impatient and quick-tempered. You give up easily once something doesn’t seem to go in your way.”

 

Doo Joon’s eyes widened when she was pointing out his weaknesses one by one. Su Hyun was always the cute girlfriend he had but now she was actually more matured than he was. She was not finished with her words, “Growing flowers need a lot of love, care and patience, Doo Joon Oppa.”

 

Despite her words, Doo Joon was not angry. Instead, he went behind her and gave her a back hug. He laid his head comfortably on her shoulder and Su Hyun gripped his muscular arms tightly to feel his warm embrace. Doo Joon whispered in her ears, “Su Hyun-ah, I know there are so many things lacking in Oppa but this is the chance for me to prove it to you that I am capable of something you don’t expect.”

 

There was a silence after that.

 

Doo Joon continued, “Let’s do this together. Let’s nurture this flower like our own children. Let’s have our little flower bloom in time for Valentine’s Day, what do you think of it?”

 

Su Hyun still did not speak a single word. She was deep in thought about what Doo Joon had said to her. At that moment, the florist came out and laid out a few packets of seeds to them, “Sir, we have a variety of colours available for you – orange salmon, lavender, coral and soft pink. Which one would you like?”

 

Su Hyun gave a wide smile at Doo Joon, signalling him that she would do this together with him as a promise to each other. After gaining her consent, Doo Joon picked up the second packet confidently and held it firmly, “I want lavender.”

 

And he grabbed onto Su Hyun’s hand tightly and held it near his lips, “It’s her favourite colour.”

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

|13 February 2012|

 

“Ajusshi, you really need to help me with this. It’s just do or die. I have to do it and I know you can help me with this.” Doo Joon pleaded with him for the umpteenth time but he was still not budging.

 

He shook his head furiously as he was getting impatient with Doo Joon’s unnecessary determination. His eyebrows were crossed and he looked at Doo Joon’s pot of plant again and again. He sighed and finally apologised for the last time, “My young man, I have told you that this pot of plant is beyond hope. The soil is ultimately destroyed and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’m sorry.”

 

“That’s not possible…” Doo Joon trailed off when even the florist could not do anything to save his plant.

 

He explained, “Geraniums are hard to grow, even in pots. Leaves can die and turn brown for a number of reasons, mostly because geraniums are quite sensitive to fungal disease from excess moisture and humidity. Yes, maybe if you remove a few leaves, it may help but there’s only 1% chance of it being able to bloom by tonight.”

 

He led Doo Joon along to a row of flowers, “How about getting some of these? I have sunflowers, roses, lilies and many more. They are just as good as geraniums. Moreover, these are already blossomed and looking very pretty. They are also very suitable for Valentine’s Day.”

 

The words ‘Valentine’s Day’ pricked his heart and he felt extremely guilty. Scanning at the rows of flowers placed, Doo Joon glanced back at his potted plant. Although the plant was withering, there was nothing else that could compare with his – not even the most expensive one in the shop.

 

Although it was early in the morning, he seemed to be pretty busy with other customers since Valentine’s Day was tomorrow and many guys were deciding to buy flowers for their girlfriends.

 

Doo Joon turned and bowed at the florist whom he was still very grateful to, “I’m sorry, ajusshi but there’s no other flower that can replace this geranium of mine. Thank you for your help.”

 

He nodded profusely and gave Doo Joon a comforting smile.

 

Doo Joon left the shop half-heartedly. He was not even in the mood to take a bus. He just wanted some time alone walking along the streets. His eyes were fixed on the plant and his mind was running wild. How could I ever be so foolish to neglect it? He thought to himself disappointingly.

 

He was at the junction when he was about to cross the road. Without looking at the signals, he crossed the road when the traffic light was still red. Suddenly, a car screeched and the horn of the car could be heard.  Doo Joon finally got his senses up and realised the car was driving towards his way. As he had no time to react, he fell onto the floor hard.

 

Luckily, the car stopped just in time and the driver popped his head out to see whether Doo Joon was hurt. Doo Joon hurt his wrist while falling. However, he ignored it and made sure his plant was alright. He heaved a sigh of relief and said to himself, “Aish, lucky the pot isn’t broken!”

 

“Yah!”

 

The driver looked at Doo Joon and Doo Joon stood up immediately. The driver gritted his teeth and was boiling with anger, “Yah! Watch where you’re going! The light is still red so don’t cross the road without looking!”

 

Doo Joon bowed apologetically and got out of the road, “I’m sorry!”

 

The driver took a glance at his wrist and gulped, “Go see a doctor.”

 

Before Doo Joon could reply, the driver drove off.

 

He headed back to the same old place that he had frequented for the past one month and gently laid the potted plant of withered geranium on the side table. He touched the petal that was barely alive slightly and sighed, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for not taking care of our ‘child’ well when you left it in my care. I have disappointed you greatly, Su Hyun.”

 

 

Author's Note:

Click here for a picture of geranium. Just a note to everyone - In this fanfic, BEAST does not exist. Thus, each member is an individual of their own.